-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pope (Red) Francis in America
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pope (Red) Francis in America  (Read 4837 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »

Just finished watching the speech on the telly. Thoughts abound but I still come back to this one - just as a majority of voters selected twice-over the most radical president ever seen in this country, a majority of cardinals selected the most radical pope ever seen in the Catholic Church.

That speech sounded like it was written by hardliners in both major parties and the leadership of the United Nations. What a load of bollocks.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

Personally, I don't think the Pope has any business whatsoever speaking to the US Congress. 

First of all, he's not American. 

Second of all, he's a religious leader.  The day that the US stops mixing religion and politics (ie. Kim Davis), we'll all be much better off. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »

Agreed on all counts. I can get behind (sort of) his speaking as a head of state, since he technically is one...but it's shaky.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »

It all comes down to ideology. People who bitched about Bibi Netanyahu speaking to Congress batted not one eye about Red Francis speaking to Congress. All ideology.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »

Personally, I don't think the Pope has any business whatsoever speaking to the US Congress. 

Second of all, he's a religious leader.  The day that the US stops mixing religion and politics (ie. Kim Davis), we'll all be much better off. 
The Vatican is considered a City State. Therefore the Pope is looked upon as a Head of State. If invited, he has every right to address any government that asks him to speak. Are you afraid that he will somehow brainwash the entire U.S. Congress? He'll have his say today, and life will move along as before.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:20 AM »

The Vatican is considered a City State. Therefore the Pope is looked upon as a Head of State. If invited, he has every right to address any government that asks him to speak. Are you afraid that he will somehow brainwash the entire U.S. Congress? He'll have his say today, and life will move along as before.

That's a nice little loophole.  I don't think the Pope, or anybody for that matter, is capable of brainwashing Congress.  Many of them don't have the necessary organ in which to wash. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:26 AM »

That's a nice little loophole.  I don't think the Pope, or anybody for that matter, is capable of brainwashing Congress.  Many of them don't have the necessary organ in which to wash. 
True Dat! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

You're being charitable by saying merely "many of them" lack said organ, but I'll drink to that anyway! LOL

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »

Exactly  - and the U.S. maintains an embassy with an American ambassador.  One of the more recent ones was the mother of ABC's Cokie Roberts, the late congresswoman, from Lousiana, Lindy Boggs.  Some do a great amount of humanitarian work and can help coordinate outreach as between the U.S. and church support in troubled and remote areas.  It was less surprising to see the Holy Father, after Benjamin Netanyahu.  But both heads of state. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:53:17 PM »

It all comes down to ideology. People who bitched about Bibi Netanyahu speaking to Congress batted not one eye about Red Francis speaking to Congress. All ideology.

The Pope isn't responsible for Palestinian genocide and didn't rally for the death of Yitzhak Rabin.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »

Neither is Bibi Netanyahu.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »

Pope Francis spoke by invitation of Speaker Boehner. His views are the same that he has expressed throughout the world. I would hope that Speaker Boehner would know in advance what Francis stands for. There was nothing he said that he hasn't said before.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 05:47:14 AM »

Pope Francis spoke by invitation of Speaker Boehner. His views are the same that he has expressed throughout the world. I would hope that Speaker Boehner would know in advance what Francis stands for. There was nothing he said that he hasn't said before.
Boehner was visibly moved by the Holy Father, notwithstanding some of the Holy Father's positions. 

Maybe international diplomacy and lobbying is being replaced or subverted, by this new model of a leader speaking directly to the American people, via the media coverage that Congress affords.  It is a way for the world to hear leaders from far-flung regions and to get face-time with Americans via their elected representatives. 
KDS
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 05:55:06 AM »

The Pope's doing MSG tonight.  Any chance Bruce Springsteen or Billy Joel show up to sing a hymn with him?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »

Boehner was visibly moved by the Holy Father, notwithstanding some of the Holy Father's positions. 

Maybe international diplomacy and lobbying is being replaced or subverted, by this new model of a leader speaking directly to the American people, via the media coverage that Congress affords.  It is a way for the world to hear leaders from far-flung regions and to get face-time with Americans via their elected representatives. 

Interesting...

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »

Pope in... Boehner out...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: