gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:46:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If I Could Talk To Love  (Read 2504 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »

Does anyone think this song from Carl's solo album was a personal message to Mike or just a song about love (the emotion)?

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »

Love, the emotion. He didn't write the lyrics to it, right?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:24:40 PM »

Probably not, I think he collaberated with Myrna Smith on most of the tracks.  I thought it was possible the song may have been a personal message to Mike who at that time during Carl's departure from the Beach Boys had basically steered the group towards being a permanant oldies act.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:28:26 PM by Jason Byzewski » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 05:25:37 AM »

I thought it was possible the song may have been a personal message to Mike who at that time during Carl's departure from the Beach Boys had basically steered the group towards being a permanant oldies act.

I'm pretty sure that, post-Brianocracy, one member could not have steered the group in any direction but if one member did steer the direction of the act in that timeframe it would have been Carl I'll bet.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 05:31:28 AM »

So you're saying that Mike had absolutely nothing to do with the return to the travelling jukebox post 1975 ?

Cameron Quincy Mott, what did your mother say to you about telling lies ?

Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:15:17 AM »

So you're saying that Mike had absolutely nothing to do with the return to the travelling jukebox post 1975 ?

Cool

I guess he meant that it wasn't only Mike. Al had his part in that, too probably.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »

Cool

I guess he meant that it wasn't only Mike. Al had his part in that, too probably.

[giggle]

No, Andrew ol' pal.  I think it was a mutual decision by equals but if anyone were more equal in this regard in this timeframe it was Carl.  All of it presupposes it was a bad choice which I think is far from proven in the first place.

Quincy.  Wink 

AMDG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »

I find it interesting that pictures and videos from 1970 through 1973 show Carl front and center while Mike is on the side and his demenor is subdued (on the 'In Concert' album he sounds very mellow!).  Compare that to the post 'Endless Summer shows where Mike is front and center and very obnoxious.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »

I find it interesting that pictures and videos from 1970 through 1973 show Carl front and center while Mike is on the side and his demenor is subdued (on the 'In Concert' album he sounds very mellow!).  Compare that to the post 'Endless Summer shows where Mike is front and center and very obnoxious.

That may be but it seems to me the tour was far from an oldies act right into '79, playing standards and new album stuff just as always.  Maybe it's just me, but the oldies begin to ascend as Brian's attendance increases in late 70s and early 80s and the new albums become scarcer and the new releases aren't selling [why flog what most of the audience and fanbase won't buy?].

SG7
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 07:58:40 AM »

If it was about Mike Love, there would have been more violence in it  LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx