gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:02:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - Long Promised Road 'LIVE' CD  (Read 9108 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »

Well, is this a legit release ? Not available in the US & Japan suggests not - One that certainly appears to have slipped the net (so to speak)

PS The Bottom Line Show

http://www.spincds.com/live-at-the-calderone-theater-ny-76-cd-46785
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

You beat me to it. Wonder how crisp it sounds.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »

Absolutely not legit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »

As an aside, how does the Bottom Line 4/13 show sound compared to the 4/11 “My Father’s Place” recording that floats around? Interesting that two successive shows on Carl’s solo tour were both broadcast on the radio?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »

As an aside, how does the Bottom Line 4/13 show sound compared to the 4/11 “My Father’s Place” recording that floats around? Interesting that two successive shows on Carl’s solo tour were both broadcast on the radio?

I recorded the Bottom Line show myself, live off the air, yet it still doesn't sound quite as good as the Long Island show that I downloaded about 10 years ago.  Pretty close though.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 01:36:54 AM »

Now also available at amazon uk.

I've ordered some stuff at Spin before but they sometimes haven't been able to supply which, as you have to pay upfront, means the onus is on you to monitor the order, cancel if necessary and request a refund. More trouble than its worth at the end of the day, to my mind.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »

Now also available at amazon uk.

I've ordered some stuff at Spin before but they sometimes haven't been able to supply which, as you have to pay upfront, means the onus is on you to monitor the order, cancel if necessary and request a refund. More trouble than its worth at the end of the day, to my mind.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:26 PM »

This needs to be a legit cd. Some fans that don't like the way these songs sound on the studio cd might like the live versions.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 12:14:43 AM »

I'd buy a live cd from Carl's tour. It's been a while since I've listened to one of the shows, but if I remember correctly Carl and his band did a damn good version of "I Thank You" by Sam and Dave

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »

Carl and his band did a damn good version of "I Thank You" by Sam and Dave

Oh yes, they certainly DID!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »

I'd buy a live cd from Carl's tour. It's been a while since I've listened to one of the shows, but if I remember correctly Carl and his band did a damn good version of "I Thank You" by Sam and Dave

I could be misremembering, but I think “I Thank You” was part of the very small number of 1983 gigs. Not sure if he did it at any 1981 gigs. I think I’ve heard one pretty awful-sounding (in terms of sound quality, not performance) audience recording of Carl doing “I Thank You” in 1983. It was so muddy it was hard to make heads or tails of it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »

I could be misremembering, but I think “I Thank You” was part of the very small number of 1983 gigs. Not sure if he did it at any 1981 gigs. I think I’ve heard one pretty awful-sounding (in terms of sound quality, not performance) audience recording of Carl doing “I Thank You” in 1983. It was so muddy it was hard to make heads or tails of it.

Carl did perform "I Thank You" in 1981 according to this:

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/4-12-81.html
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/4-13-81.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »

I've preordered it from Amazon UK.  Hopefully it will arrive!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »

I've preordered it from Amazon UK.  Hopefully it will arrive!

Same here… inspired by yesterday's price drop!!!

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »

Is anything known about the 2 Myrna Smith songs "Treat Me Right" and "I'm Not Dreaming"?  Are these songs from the unreleased album that Carl produced for her?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 06:25:42 AM »

Treat Me Right is a Pat Benatar song.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »

Just had word from Amazon that I might not receive this until early January. Bummer
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 08:56:19 AM »

The Wait is Over!  Amazon UK has shipped mine.  Strange arrival date of 9 December, but I've never had anything ordered from the UK take more than a week to get here.  They charged my card on the 16th, $18.88 US after a couple of small fees.

The companies making these are small businesses I suspect, but I have bought one of the Steve Stills shows, and that one sounded real good.

I have the Long Island show, sorta.  It's a Mp3 file titled as the Bottom Line, but the date is 12 April 1981...that's the date of the My Father's Place show in Roslyn, NY, broadcast by WLIR.  Carl always opened with "Too Early To Tell" - that is missing.  It fades in with the last minute of the second song, "Bright Lights" and cuts Myrna's songs.  You get a good and funky "What You Gonna Do About Me?" (7:09), "Long Promised Road" "Hurry Love" "The Grammy" "Heaven" "Hold Me" and a smokin' (better than the record) "The Right Lane."  The tell on these files is that the last song is listed as "What You Do to Me," but is really the encore, "I Thank You."  Somebody mentioned not being sure Carl played "I Thank You" at every show on both/all shows.  He did on all the ones I saw at The Old Waldorf, both tours.  The sound is a bit bass heavy, but fairly clear - vocals are great.  Carl mentions the record was released "a couple of weeks ago"... so the early April date sounds right.  I have a brother-in-law that grew up on Long Island and went to and recorded many of the WLIR shows at My Father's Place.  He didn't record Carl's show, but he is trying to help me find it.  He knows a lot of active tapers/traders.

Let's hope that somebody will come up with a Second Tour show one of these days.  Maybe somebody was taping at one of the Doobie Brothers dates.

I'm excited about finally getting this show.  Amazon UK has this in stock.  I would act quickly.  This has been a shaky release (I ordered it back in October), who knows how long it will be around.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:58:51 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »

Got mine today and that's a good summation. Nice thing to have.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »

I have the Bottom Line show on a cassette, and an audience tape from a later show, same tour. Being a radio broadcast, the Bottom Line recording is pretty good, but I would love to have a cleaner recording. But it's good enough to recognize how much livelier these songs are 'live' than on the album.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »

Mine arrived today too.  I was half expecting to never receive it so it was a nice surprise when I came home to it. Grin
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »

The Wait is Over!  Amazon UK has shipped mine.  Strange arrival date of 9 December, but I've never had anything ordered from the UK take more than a week to get here.  They charged my card on the 16th, $18.88 US after a couple of small fees.

The companies making these are small businesses I suspect, but I have bought one of the Steve Stills shows, and that one sounded real good.

I have the Long Island show, sorta.  It's a Mp3 file titled as the Bottom Line, but the date is 12 April 1981...that's the date of the My Father's Place show in Roslyn, NY, broadcast by WLIR.  Carl always opened with "Too Early To Tell" - that is missing.  It fades in with the last minute of the second song, "Bright Lights" and cuts Myrna's songs.  You get a good and funky "What You Gonna Do About Me?" (7:09), "Long Promised Road" "Hurry Love" "The Grammy" "Heaven" "Hold Me" and a smokin' (better than the record) "The Right Lane."  The tell on these files is that the last song is listed as "What You Do to Me," but is really the encore, "I Thank You."  Somebody mentioned not being sure Carl played "I Thank You" at every show on both/all shows.  He did on all the ones I saw at The Old Waldorf, both tours.  The sound is a bit bass heavy, but fairly clear - vocals are great.  Carl mentions the record was released "a couple of weeks ago"... so the early April date sounds right.  I have a brother-in-law that grew up on Long Island and went to and recorded many of the WLIR shows at My Father's Place.  He didn't record Carl's show, but he is trying to help me find it.  He knows a lot of active tapers/traders.

Let's hope that somebody will come up with a Second Tour show one of these days.  Maybe somebody was taping at one of the Doobie Brothers dates.

I'm excited about finally getting this show.  Amazon UK has this in stock.  I would act quickly.  This has been a shaky release (I ordered it back in October), who knows how long it will be around.

Just ordered, thanks for the info.
rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »

I just received word they are out of production:(
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »

Had my copy for a week or so… been listening occasionally in the car

Sounds like it was recorded from the radio rather than taken from the radio station's actual tapes so the sound is rather flat; pretty sure it's mono too.

If this was a properly mastered clean tape it'd be bloody marvellous; as others have stated the live versions of the songs are ballsier that that LP's, and Carl's adopting a deeper bass voice in places, especially the rockier numbers, maybe influenced by Stephen Stills? The ballads - Heaven – are sheer bliss.

Myrna's voice isn't to my taste and the two tracks that I assume are her solo numbers don't appeal to me; likewise, some of the album's lead guitar breaks (not Carl's) don't move me either - a bit gratuitous really.

A good album to have though, Carl was obviously a great live solo act and let's face it, who here doesn't miss him? Every word sung is priceless.

i've heard worse bootlegs (this is much better than any Carl live boots I have) but I've also heard much, much better.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »

I just received word they are out of production:(
Shoot, I was hoping to get one!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx