gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:25:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top quality original Beach Boys songs/productions after Holland  (Read 8505 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »

I would list Goin On and Winds of Change as a solid 7 or 8 of 10. The vocals on Goin On are a bit harsh. The tag of Winds of Change doesn't sound right. Not even close to the perfection in the tag on God Only Knows.

Not many songs in the history of popular music have a tag close to "God Only Knows".Cheesy

However, the tag on "Winds Of Change" is great! I still remember the first time I played/heard M.I.U./"Winds Of Change". As a fan whose first new BB albums purchased were 15 Big Ones and Love You, and wondering if Brian would ever regain, not just his falsetto but his voice, you can only imagine how I felt when that "Winds Of Change" tag came out of the speakers. Emotional, surprised, and maybe even spiritual would describe it. I was literally doing cartwheels and going "Yes! Yes! Yes!" It still gets to me today.

Winds of Change always felt kinda off to me. I love the strings, the piano, the melody - but I feel the vocals could've used a bit more work; in my opinion the lead vocals should've been double tracked, and the tag could've used fuller, more drawn out harmonies. It's odd because the rest of the album has amazing vocals - it's the one latter day Beach Boys album that truly utilizes everyone's voices in that classic Beach Boys way.

Regardless of my minuscule qualms with it, Winds has grown on me since I first heard it; it's a good closer to a decent album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

I don't think they were reaching for a hit with Winds, but then again what do I know. I think they we going for a mood. It's sort of like "All This Is That."  It's a state of mind, mantra, meditating place.

There is an element of cheese -- not maudlin, maybe a slightly lachrymose, or cloying sentiment -- but it only suggests it and doesn't fully succumb to it, for me anyway. And the tag provides a nice pay-off..

But my point in bringing it up is, it is a nice production. It was done right. The arrangement and production of it all is a real achievement.
Thanks for expressing your thoughts so eloquently - my apologies for jumping on your original post and opinions in the way I did...I recall years ago on binaries.alt.beachboys or whatever a guy called "theoldgeezer' saying - "there are no bad beach boys songs". Such wisdom - cheers

Beer

-A

I'm of the mindset that says even a bad Beach Boys' song is way better than most others bands' efforts. Beer indeed!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx