gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:56:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top quality original Beach Boys songs/productions after Holland  (Read 8506 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »

I was thinking about making a seperate thread for Brian solo. But here are some of mine:
There's So Many
Rio Grande
Chain Reaction (perhaps my favorite!)
Love and Mercy (iwmftt)
The Waltz
That Lucky Old Sun lp
Some of No Pier Pressure, but I'm not familiar enough with track titles and don't have them with me right now.
If we are including covers, Reimagines Gershwin lp

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »

It blows my mind that a thread on top quality BB songs after Holland has actually extended more than one page.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »

It blows my mind that a thread on top quality BB songs after Holland has actually extended more than one page.

I think there's plenty of top quality songs after Holland.  Top quality albums?  Not really.  So, you had a ton more filler from 1976-2012 than from 1962-1973.  But still a lot of good. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »

Just Once In My Life
The Love You album
My Diane
Good Timin'
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Baby Blue

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:11 AM »

- 15 Big Ones, except for three or four lame cuts
- the entire Love You LP
- My Diane
- most of L.A. (Light Album)
- Getcha Back, Male Ego, Where I Belong
- Kokomo, Somewhere Near Japan
- Lahaina Aloha
- Pacific Coast Highway, Summer's Gone
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:44:41 AM by phirnis » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 05:30:16 AM »

5. Lady Lynda
-Al's finest hour as a songwriter. A perfect gem. That cembalo!

He had a little help from Bach. It's an OK record but that intro has got to go! (as it was on the single version)

To me, the Knebworth live one is THE definitive version.

YES!!!

KDS
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »

5. Lady Lynda
-Al's finest hour as a songwriter. A perfect gem. That cembalo!

He had a little help from Bach. It's an OK record but that intro has got to go! (as it was on the single version)

To me, the Knebworth live one is THE definitive version.

YES!!!

Speaking of Lady Lynda, I actually heard a local sportsreporter singing a part of that on the radio the other day on the way to work.  Somebody mentioned the name Lynda (or Linda), and he starting singing the refrain. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »

Baby Blue
Good Timin'
Keepin' the Summer Alive
It's Over Now
My Diane
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »

It's OK (single version)
Roller Skating Child
Night Was So Young
Kona Coast
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Good Timin
Lady Linda
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Baby Blue
KTSA
Santa Ana Winds
Getcha Back
Where I Belong
Rock & Roll to the Rescue
Kokomo
Still Cruisin'
Summer in Paradise (live single)
Soul Searchin' (MIC mix)
TWGMTR
Spring Vacation
From There and Back Again
Summer's Gone
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »

I have to say that some of the songs that are being listed surprise me. I actually like most of the songs, but a song like It's Ok is catchy and fun, but nothing special in my opinion. Summer in Paradise single? I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people say but top notch? I disagree. Again, I won't argue about opinion.  A lot of songs I really like, such as Male Ego I don't consider a 10/10. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »

I've been listening to a lot of Keepin' The Summer Alive lately, and if "California Girls" is a 10/10 -- then one song that really leaps out at me is "Goin' On."

While they would never again (possible exception:  Kokomo) strike a chord with the general public like they did in the mid-60s, there are still a lot of those brilliant, odd, eccentric moments of pure genius from them and Brian.  Melt Away, much of Love You, etc.  But, I think "Goin' On" (which is top-of-mind for me right now) is the closest in terms of recapturing that brilliant, sparkling diamond of genius that is all over tracks like "Good Vibrations" and "California Girls" AND feels commercial (10/10) -- even though it wasn't a big hit.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:24:02 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »

I really don't see a 10 of 10 release post-Holland.  Most of the songs listed above seem to me to be about 8's at best, with many hovering in the 5 to 7 range.  Although I still liked them very much post-Holland, that to me is when the career started heading south in terms of album quality.  CATP can be excused partly for being a rush job, but LA, MIU, and 85 scream, "Mediocrity!!".  Well, don't exactly scream it, more like actually inhabit mediocrity.

Oh sure, there are a few almost gems scattered amongst the ruins, but even those don't quite make it.  Something has been lost along the way and even the better songs seem to be attempting to pick at the skeleton of their former work.

I can still listen to the aforementioned titles, but it is more a labor of forbearance than of love, kind of like the affection a parent might still hold for a wayward child.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »

From the much maligned MIU Album, Al's "Winds Of Change" (which seems very "Brucian" in it's concept, but not in its execution) is a perfect little song.  Certainly not a hit or even widely liked -- but to me the production is at the top of the notch.  The arrangement is everything it needs to be.  I wouldn't change anything on it -- and don't say "besides making it" -- because that's already been factored in.  I think it's a perfect little creation, a part one or precursor to "Santa Anna Winds."

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »

From the much maligned MIU Album, Al's "Winds Of Change" (which seems very "Brucian" in it's concept, but not in its execution) is a perfect little song.  Certainly not a hit or even widely liked -- but to me the production is at the top of the notch.  The arrangement is everything it needs to be.  I wouldn't change anything on it -- and don't say "besides making it" -- because that's already been factored in.  I think it's a perfect little creation, a part one or precursor to "Santa Anna Winds."

Agree - Winds must be one of the most overlooked songs in the band's output, probably cos it's not associated with Brian.

I think Winds of Change more closely related to And I Always Will from his Postcards album… and that, to my ears, shares some DNA with From There to Back Again. All's voice is probably the main factor affecting my subconscious - they each have different composers/lyricists after all - but I see the three tunes as family.

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38:19 AM »

Agree - Winds must be one of the most overlooked songs in the band's output, probably cos it's not associated with Brian.

I think Winds of Change more closely related to And I Always Will from his Postcards album… and that, to my ears, shares some DNA with From There to Back Again. All's voice is probably the main factor affecting my subconscious - they each have different composers/lyricists after all - but I see the three tunes as family.

Unfashionable though it may be to admit this, I agree - and its a song with an ambition sorely lacking from most of tha album (and I love the coda...)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »

I think Winds of Change is more closely related to And I Always Will from his Postcards album… and that, to my ears, shares some DNA with From There to Back Again. All's voice is probably the main factor affecting my subconscious - they each have different composers/lyricists after all - but I see the three tunes as family.

Unfashionable though it may be to admit this, I agree - and its a song with an ambition sorely lacking from most of tha album (and I love the coda...)

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 05:16:30 AM »

Please, Al's "Winds Of Change"? The liner notes would have it that Ron Altbach and Ed Tejulah cooked this turd up sometime before Al and Mike laid this (additionally) sh*t version down.

Sorry 'bout that, I'm a big Al fan, and hate to see him lumbered inappropriately -(but aknowledge, he is sometimes easily led (for example, Take a Load off, and in later days, Island Girl, Lady Liberty etc).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »

Please, Al's "Winds Of Change"? The liner notes would have it that Ron Altbach and Ed Tejulah cooked this turd up sometime before Al and Mike laid this (additionally) sh*t version down.

Sorry 'bout that, I'm a big Al fan, and hate to see him lumbered inappropriately -(but aknowledge, he is sometimes easily led (for example, Take a Load off, and in later days, Island Girl, Lady Liberty etc).

I wouldn't rate "Winds Of Change" a 10, but in my opinion, it's far from a "turd" and a "sh*t version". One of the biggest criticisms of the M.I.U. Album is that it's not adventurous and not too deep, maybe even shallow. With "Winds Of Change" they tried something a little deeper, a different style; they were even bold enough to go outside the group for the song. I give 'em a break, I like the song, but I still wish they would've ended the album with "Our Team". I love the fade...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »

I would list Goin On and Winds of Change as a solid 7 or 8 of 10. The vocals on Goin On are a bit harsh. The tag of Winds of Change doesn't sound right. Not even close to the perfection in the tag on God Only Knows.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »

I would list Goin On and Winds of Change as a solid 7 or 8 of 10. The vocals on Goin On are a bit harsh. The tag of Winds of Change doesn't sound right. Not even close to the perfection in the tag on God Only Knows.

Not many songs in the history of popular music have a tag close to "God Only Knows".Cheesy

However, the tag on "Winds Of Change" is great! I still remember the first time I played/heard M.I.U./"Winds Of Change". As a fan whose first new BB albums purchased were 15 Big Ones and Love You, and wondering if Brian would ever regain, not just his falsetto but his voice, you can only imagine how I felt when that "Winds Of Change" tag came out of the speakers. Emotional, surprised, and maybe even spiritual would describe it. I was literally doing cartwheels and going "Yes! Yes! Yes!" It still gets to me today.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »

Not many songs in the history of popular music have a tag close to "God Only Knows".Cheesy

However, the tag on "Winds Of Change" is great! I still remember the first time I played/heard M.I.U./"Winds Of Change". As a fan whose first new BB albums purchased were 15 Big Ones and Love You, and wondering if Brian would ever regain, not just his falsetto but his voice, you can only imagine how I felt when that "Winds Of Change" tag came out of the speakers. Emotional, surprised, and maybe even spiritual would describe it. I was literally doing cartwheels and going "Yes! Yes! Yes!" It still gets to me today.

… and if I recall, the Winds tag was one of those elements which came unstuck on the first CD issue of MiU. Some folks might not yet have heard be correct mix…

Al wasn't prolific but he brought some strong tunes to the table - Susie C is one of my all-time fave BBs rockers; Santa Anna Winds is the kind of soft country whose style, if adopted, could have sustained them through leaner, less creative periods later on; Come Go With Me was a neat tip to their early doowop influences, and continued the theme of 15BOs. Lady Lynda was the hit it deserved to be, something which has eluded them virtually ever since.

But hey, I like Feet too, so feel free to disregard all of the above!!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:21:13 AM by John Manning » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »

I wouldn't rate "Winds Of Change" a 10, but in my opinion, it's far from a "turd" and a "sh*t version". One of the biggest criticisms of the M.I.U. Album is that it's not adventurous and not too deep, maybe even shallow. With "Winds Of Change" they tried something a little deeper, a different style; they were even bold enough to go outside the group for the song. I give 'em a break, I like the song, but I still wish they would've ended the album with "Our Team". I love the fade...
Thanks for sharing your perspective on the approach to "WOC", Sheriff & I can appreciate what you are saying in relation to the band remaining adventurous/going outside the "box".

IMHO, or within the ropey square within which I judge BB songs, I find this song a bit on the desperate side as though they were scrambling around for a "BIG" hit but going down an unfortunate MOR path - I could imagine a Dione Warwick or similar turning this into a huge slick hit, unfortunately Mike's a little shakey here (imo, again) and I'm still unconvinced it suited their (or my understanding of) style de jour.

Anyway, yes, I'm on board with Our Team tho' - agree re the fade and it's got that a certain charm I think missing from other numbers from the MIU timeline.     

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »

I don't think they were reaching for a hit with Winds, but then again what do I know. I think they we going for a mood. It's sort of like "All This Is That."  It's a state of mind, mantra, meditating place.

There is an element of cheese -- not maudlin, maybe a slightly lachrymose, or cloying sentiment -- but it only suggests it and doesn't fully succumb to it, for me anyway. And the tag provides a nice pay-off..

But my point in bringing it up is, it is a nice production. It was done right. The arrangement and production of it all is a real achievement.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 10:26:24 AM »

Ignoring covers, songs that were recorded for albums up to Holland, I'm left with these tracks.

The Beach Boys
Had to Phone Ya (Instrumental)
Let Us Go On This Way
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
My Diane
Love Surrounds Me
Somewhere Near Japan
You're Still a Mystery
From There to Back Again

Brian Wilson
Melt Away
Midnight's Another Day

Dennis Wilson
River Song
Thoughts of You
Farewell My Friend
Rainbows
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 06:25:15 AM »

I don't think they were reaching for a hit with Winds, but then again what do I know. I think they we going for a mood. It's sort of like "All This Is That."  It's a state of mind, mantra, meditating place.

There is an element of cheese -- not maudlin, maybe a slightly lachrymose, or cloying sentiment -- but it only suggests it and doesn't fully succumb to it, for me anyway. And the tag provides a nice pay-off..

But my point in bringing it up is, it is a nice production. It was done right. The arrangement and production of it all is a real achievement.
Thanks for expressing your thoughts so eloquently - my apologies for jumping on your original post and opinions in the way I did...I recall years ago on binaries.alt.beachboys or whatever a guy called "theoldgeezer' saying - "there are no bad beach boys songs". Such wisdom - cheers

Beer

-A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx