gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:25:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Blondie Chaplin news....  (Read 1742 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »

for those of us who collect everything relating to the flame here is a new cd blondie plays on...don't know if this has been posted yet, if so i am sorry for the duplication....

Rolling Stones' guitarist plays on Lutheran CD

By FRANK E. LOCKWOOD
McClatchy Newspapers

He may have Sympathy for the Devil, but Keith Richards also jams for Jehovah.

The 62-year-old Rolling Stone is a guest guitarist on My Soul is a Witness — a collection of African-American spirituals released without fanfare last month.

The book and CD project is the brainchild of Richards' sister-in-law, concert vocalist Marsha Hansen.

About half the music was recorded at the guitarist's Connecticut home in 2001.

Richards plays on a half-dozen tracks, including I Want Jesus to Walk With Me and Rock in Jerusalem. Also performing on the album is former Beach Boy Blondie Chaplin and Bob Dylan drummer George Receli.

The CD may be hard to find. Augsburg Books, affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, initially printed only 2,500 copies. A second printing is on the way.

Hansen, who is married to a Lutheran minister, says she didn't have to twist her in-law's arm to get his assistance.

"His understanding of music is very deep — not just rock music," she said. "He's particularly intrigued by African-American music, roots music."

Richards isn't a Lutheran.

"He probably does not claim a particular affiliation," Hansen said, "but he loves the music."

She says her brother-in-law and his musical pals were easy to work with.

"They just kind of picked up and played whatever I was singing, and the songs just grew out of whatever mood we were in," she said. "Sometimes my daughter and I would just harmonize on something, and

Keith would decide, 'That sounds really good. Let's try that.' And then we'd go from there."

Richards left his imprint on each of his songs.

"Sometimes it's acoustic. Sometimes it's electric. He probably plays about three different guitars."

The legendary performer appears courtesy of Virgin Records America.

On the recording, Richards sounds like he enjoyed making the music.

"Obviously, you hear Keith chattering in the background. You can hear some of our comments and our laughter. That's part of the mood of the CD. We had a wonderful time," Hansen said.

Richards' wife, Patti Hansen, is the sister of the Rev. Rodney Hansen, Marsha Hansen's husband and the pastor of Mount Hope Lutheran Church in El Paso, Texas.

It wasn't hard to sell Augsburg on the project.

"We liked the idea that it was an informal recording. It was more of a jam session, friends gathered together for casual dinners in someone's home," said publicist Bob Todd. "It was not a planned, contrived thing at all."

Buyers responded.

"It jumped right out of the shelves for us," Todd said.

Christian critics have accused Richards and the rest of the Stones of selling out to the dark side. Some listeners have even played their records backwards, listening for subliminal Satanic messages.

But the guitarist on Their Satanic Majesties Request is a "fantastic person," Hansen says.

"He's the most wonderful, genuine, honorable man that I can think of," she said. "I really do think of him as my family."

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:08:51 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »

I don't really like that article, they're making it seem such a big deal that Keith Richards is playing on a Christian CD, as if the Rolling Stones were huge Satanists or something, geeze.

I like that Blondie was referred to as a former Beach Boy, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:08:13 AM »

I don't really like that article, they're making it seem such a big deal that Keith Richards is playing on a Christian CD, as if the Rolling Stones were huge Satanists or something, geeze.

I like that Blondie was referred to as a former Beach Boy, though.

Well, Keith has said in interviews before that he is an athiest so it is kinda strange that he would be lending so much of himself to a Christian themed album.  I'm not disagreeing with you or anything and no, I don't think he is a satanist either but it is a little odd.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 05:32:38 AM »

[raises hand, tentatively...]

'Scuse me... but who's this Blondie Chapman and what's his connection with The Beach Boys ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »

[raises hand, tentatively...]

'Scuse me... but who's this Blondie Chapman and what's his connection with The Beach Boys ?

opps...sorry about that typo.....too many beers by the pool......  LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx