gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:50:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who in your opinion could better have been a one-hit wonder?  (Read 12513 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »

And had a great set with their medley at the Freddie Mercury benefit concert.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »

Rolling Stones under consideration here???

Well, in a thread where Dylan's under consideration, why not?  I own a few Stones CDs.  I play them sometimes.  I'm groovin' just fine to the first track, but about four tracks in and I'm boooorrrred.  After eight tracks or so, I'm like 'I fucking hate the Rolling Stones' and I wonder, yet again, why I keep their albums.  So, for me, you could pile many of their tunes into just one track and that'll do just fine.

The Stones are one of those bands that have a ton of great songs, but are light on great albums IMO.  Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are really good, but other than that, I'll stick to compilations when I listen to them. 

You guys are funny.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »

And had a great set with their medley at the Freddie Mercury benefit concert.

Yes!!  Extreme's Queen medley was one of the highlights of that concert. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:06:24 AM »

Christopher Cross "Ride Like the Wind". Sailing was good too but both on his first album. He should have sailed away after that.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 02:47:01 AM »

Christopher Cross "Ride Like the Wind". Sailing was good too but both on his first album. He should have sailed away after that.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »

Can't let this tread continue without mentioning Mariah Carey.  She drives me insane.
KDS
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

Can't let this tread continue without mentioning Mariah Carey.  She drives me insane.

Isn't she kind of a parody of herself these days anyway?  I know she had a ton of hits in the 1990s.  But it seems like she relies on her looks a lot more than she used to.  Seems like her wardrobe has shrunk along with her relevance. 

If we're going to go with pop tarts, let's throw Brittney Spears, Katy Perry, Kesha, Demi Lovato into the mix.   
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »

In my opinion, a lot of the early 80's Brit Synth Bands (aside,and I love The Human League) like Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Soft Cell , Pet Shop Boys (but I do like the innocence in the voice of Neil Tennant) can have their one big hit and bugger off.
Vince Clarke has a lot to answer for........

Don't get me onto Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet pleeeeeeeeease 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »

Can't believe that the OP mentioned ABBA, I have a box set of all their output and it is (in my eyes) quite simply some of the best Pop music ever produced.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »

I think, Rob, were ABBA's entire repertoire threatened with deletion except for "Dancing Queen", I'd be up in arms like everyone else!

Perhaps it should be added that the OP can be a bit of a d*ckhead at times (particularly in the evening for some reason) so you can safely ignore much of what he has to say. Grin     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:45 AM »

Another candidate for one-hit wonderdom in my jaded view is Whitney Houston. "Step By Step" is a truly uplifting anthem (to say nothing of that chord) but the rest of her stuff goes in one ear etc.

KDS
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »

How about Megan Trainor? 

Seems like she didn't get the memo that she's a one hit wonder with a novelty song.  She's on about minute 22 of her 15 minutes.  Time to go. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »

Ooh, I have a few of these...

How about Aloe Blacc? 'I need a dollar' was a massive hit but if you listen to his album and guest spots....he's very good....

Athlete's 'Wires' was big a while ago but again, if you like a good MOR Ballad (and we're all Beach Boys fans here....am I right?) then they have a couple of very enjoyable albums

A weird one but for those who like 'comedy albums' then The Amateur Transplants had a viral hit with 'London Underground' and it put me on to them, love it. They have a Christmas Album that no holiday season should be without.

Flobots 'Handlebars' was a top 20 hit in 2008, their stuff is insanely good.

Just Jack's commercial hit 'Starz in their eyes' soundtracked the summer of 2007 for many, he has 3 albums with some superb tracks on

The year before, The Kooks and 'Naive' blew up....the latest album 'Listen' is an absolute stonker and worth repeated listens....

I'm not too sure if he counts but Lupe Fiasco hit the top 5 in 2008 with 'Superstar' and he is absolutely one of my favourite hip-hop artists

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

How about Megan Trainor? 

Seems like she didn't get the memo that she's a one hit wonder with a novelty song.  She's on about minute 22 of her 15 minutes.  Time to go. 

Totally disagree. First, she had 5 top 100 hits (4 top 30, 3 top 15). Plus i think she's a good songwriter: I like her album quite a bit. Horrible rapper though, I hope she drops that. But the woman has a gift for hooks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »

How about Megan Trainor? 

Totally disagree. First, she had 5 top 100 hits (4 top 30, 3 top 15). Plus i think she's a good songwriter: I like her album quite a bit. Horrible rapper though, I hope she drops that. But the woman has a gift for hooks.

If there's a such thing as a good rapper, I've yet to hear it. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »

Well we're of different mind there, too, then.

I think it's important to think of things as what they are, though, so the quality of a rapper has to be considered a) by someone admitting it as an art form worth evaluating in the first place, and then b) within that art form. I think some people judge tapers as if compared to singers or guitarists or something, which is apples and oranges. (Not saying you do this.)

But if you've never heard a good rapper, you're probably not a fan of the art and thus not fit to judge. No criticism against you, just my opinion. I'm not suited to critique EDM artists for example.

KDS
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »

Well we're of different mind there, too, then.

I think it's important to think of things as what they are, though, so the quality of a rapper has to be considered a) by someone admitting it as an art form worth evaluating in the first place, and then b) within that art form. I think some people judge tapers as if compared to singers or guitarists or something, which is apples and oranges. (Not saying you do this.)

But if you've never heard a good rapper, you're probably not a fan of the art and thus not fit to judge. No criticism against you, just my opinion. I'm not suited to critique EDM artists for example.

Nope, not a fan of rap or EDM.  Some may call me narrow minded, but I prefer to stick to the rock genre.  Maybe a little country. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »

How about Macklemore? I'm no fan of rap in general but this is heartwarming stuff (and the man has a sense of humour):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

KDS
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »

How about Macklemore? I'm no fan of rap in general but this is heartwarming stuff (and the man has a sense of humour):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Afraid not.  Rap just isn't my thing. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »

I'm not a Macklemore fan.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 03:53:49 AM »

Me neither, maybe in a fun, gimmicky, hear-it-in-the-club-while-drunk way but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to convert someone to hip-hop. Try albums by Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim or my favourite, anything from the Wu-Tang camp from '93 to '97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5_6js19eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 04:51:46 AM »

Or maybe the really old-school type where the line between hip-hop and disco/funk was still not clear yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrS3_-zPfQ
KDS
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 05:30:32 AM »

OK, I finally found a rap song that I like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIHbqOQGzp4
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »

No comment.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »

I liked The Beastie Boys 'till they went too pc with their lyrics, that's about as far as me and rap go.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx