gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681660 Posts in 27653 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 06:30:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB members attending BB (or BB solo) shows without participating  (Read 8682 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

Confirmed by Andy Paley… that is him standing between the cheerleader and Matt Jardine wearing a white shirt.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:22:14 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

I believe Mike was in the audience for Brian's Roxy show back in 1999 or 2000 from which the live CD was culled.

Where did you get that info?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

Of interest in respect of the Show in question (per above pics) here are some local news reports and 'Live' Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2U92iv-Atw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-tgec97eA

On the second video check out the side tent at 4:55 mins , is that Audree ?

Good catch, that's absolutely gotta be her.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »

I believe Mike was in the audience for Brian's Roxy show back in 1999 or 2000 from which the live CD was culled.

I was there, and there were a LOT of celebrities in attendance that night, but I didn't see Mike.  Brian was presented with a RIAA Gold Record for Pet Sounds that night -- it had just been certified -- and if Mike had been there I think he would have wanted to be a part of that.

Lee
Lee, I read that in an article way back when. Mike said he stood near a door to watch the show. He didn't say if he stayed for the whole show, but he was there for at least a part of the show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »

Mike stood near a door?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »

Mike stood near a door?
I'm throwing it out there for what it's worth.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »

Mike stood near a door?

Is it worth anything? Doesn't the whole thing sound a little...how can I put this...bizarre? Mike goes to the show, stands near a door, and for what purpose? It doesn't seem like anyone spotted him there.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »

Brian looks very relaxed! Pictures 2 and 3 are different.  Also Van Dyke Parks is there too!

Yes, I have a whole series of these photos.  The close-up of Brian is a separate shot.

If you're talking about the guy in the blue shirt with the beard, that's not Van Dyke.

Is that Melinda Ledbetter (with face obscured) sitting next to Brian?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »

Mike stood near a door?

Is it worth anything? Doesn't the whole thing sound a little...how can I put this...bizarre? Mike goes to the show, stands near a door, and for what purpose? It doesn't seem like anyone spotted him there.
I know, I made it up, right?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »

Considering the Roxy is a 500-person capacity nightclub, and numerous hardcore fans and friends were there for the two shows, I would think word would have made it around (either during or after the show) if Mike Love was hanging around.

If there’s an interview/article mentioning this, I’d be interested to see it.

According to AGD’s tour dates listing for 2000, the shows did take place during a gap in the Mike/Bruce tour schedule. But I’d say during such gaps Mike would have had a good chance of hanging at home in Nevada rather than the L.A. area.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »

Mike stood near a door?

Was Mike at the show?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »

Considering the Roxy is a 500-person capacity nightclub, and numerous hardcore fans and friends were there for the two shows, I would think word would have made it around (either during or after the show) if Mike Love was hanging around.

If there’s an interview/article mentioning this, I’d be interested to see it.

According to AGD’s tour dates listing for 2000, the shows did take place during a gap in the Mike/Bruce tour schedule. But I’d say during such gaps Mike would have had a good chance of hanging at home in Nevada rather than the L.A. area.

At that time, was their relationship in any kind of state that it would not have been weird for Mike to show up?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »

Considering Mike gives the impression (to me anyway) that he sometimes goes out of his way NOT to hear or see some of Brian’s projects (e.g. the 2004 “Smile”, “The Right Time”, the “Love & Mercy” film), I would say showing up at an actual Brian gig (especially a high profile gig like the two nights at the Roxy) would be even less likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »

Mike stood near a door?

Was Mike at the show?
I said, that I read that he was. Just can't remember in which publication that I read it. It was 15 years ago. Damn, your calling me out as a liar. As Brian would say, "Well, I be god-damned".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »

Considering Mike gives the impression (to me anyway) that he sometimes goes out of his way NOT to hear or see some of Brian’s projects (e.g. the 2004 “Smile”, “The Right Time”, the “Love & Mercy” film), I would say showing up at an actual Brian gig (especially a high profile gig like the two nights at the Roxy) would be even less likely.

I truthfully doubt that Mike would want to put himself in a position to witness (and then to have to admit, if he's gonna be honest) that any Brian product, whether it be a live show or a recording, could be superior to his own product. A 1999 BW show would be better than a 1999 M&B show, no? I don't really recall how their bands sounded too well in those eras. The easiest way is just to not attend, and not listen to Brian's solo music... or to always give strictly backhanded compliments. Every time.

So I would be surprised if he attended a Brian show. But hell, maybe I'm wrong and he was in fact there as an act of support, or research. I doubt it though, unless they had a better relationship in that era.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:02:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »

Maybe he was just trying to help people to their seats, to show there were no hard feelings and how supportive he was of Cousin Brian.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »

Maybe he was just trying to help people to their seats, to show there were no hard feelings and how supportive he was of Cousin Brian.
There you go!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »

On the other hand, maybe you're just mixed up and it never happened. Anybody else remember a furtive, baseball-capped figure pacing by a door? Perhaps muttering "Foskett, you were mine once and will be mine again! KNOW THIS!"

Surely on a board populated with folks with near-encyclopedic recall of all Beach Boys shows and interviews, someone else can vouch for this claim!

Even if it didn't happen, it would've been cute at the end of Love & Mercy to cut to Mike Love watching from a doorway... his face an emotionless mask.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:13:22 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »

Did anyone see Mike at this show? Was Mike at the show? What was the source of the info, where did it come from?

Just wanted to check if any of those questions equals calling someone a liar.

Nope.

And also wanted to offer the possibility if no one who was at the show actually saw Mike there, maybe he showed up in disguise.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »

Brian looks very relaxed! Pictures 2 and 3 are different.  Also Van Dyke Parks is there too!

Yes, I have a whole series of these photos.  The close-up of Brian is a separate shot.

If you're talking about the guy in the blue shirt with the beard, that's not Van Dyke.

I'm talking about the guy to the right of the picture with the red shirt, blue hat and moustache. This would have been around the time Brian and VDP were recording Orange Crate Art.  Could it be VDP?

Great photos.  Grin

Oh right. That's the pic of VDP after he ate all those jelly donuts and added 50 pounds to his face...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »

I was there, and there were a LOT of celebrities in attendance that night, but I didn't see Mike.  Brian was presented with a RIAA Gold Record for Pet Sounds that night -- it had just been certified -- and if Mike had been there I think he would have wanted to be a part of that.

Lee

Ahh, the Gold Presentation. That kicks my memory. ( couldn't remember for certain I was there) But yeah, I was. and Coach too. 
If Mike had been there, we'd have definitely heard about it

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »

Did anyone see Mike at this show? Was Mike at the show? What was the source of the info, where did it come from?

Nope.

And also wanted to offer the possibility if no one who was at the show actually saw Mike there, maybe he showed up in disguise.

I really hope a photo surfaces of Mike in disguise, wearing a Groucho nose/mustache at a BW show.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

Nope.

I really hope a photo surfaces of Mike in disguise, wearing a Groucho nose/mustache at a BW show.

LOL

Let's rephrase the question: Did anyone at the Roxy show remember seeing a tall man standing in or near the door wearing a Groucho Marx disguise?  Grin

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »

Nope.

LOL

Let's rephrase the question: Did anyone at the Roxy show remember seeing a tall man standing in or near the door wearing a Groucho Marx disguise?  Grin

No, I did not see Mike Love that night either in the theater or hanging around bumming cigs by the back door. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »

Is that Melinda Ledbetter (with face obscured) sitting next to Brian?

Yes, Brian and Melinda arrived backstage together in a Limo.  They were not yet married.  To answer another poster above, Audree was also present that day.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx