gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681660 Posts in 27653 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 06:11:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB members attending BB (or BB solo) shows without participating  (Read 8681 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »

How many times over the years has a BB member been in the audience of a BB or BB solo member show (but not in a performance capacity in any way, simply watching the show as an audience member in attendance)? And if this happened, I wonder if this ever occurred without the BB member getting in touch and going backstage, and simply attending the show incognito?

We know of an instance where a disheveled Denny was in the audience of a Blondie solo (?) show, as Blondie talks about it in the Denny BBC doc, if memory serves.

Also, I seem to recall a photo of Brian and Denny at a Carl solo show.

-Has Mike ever attended a Brian solo show?
-Has Brian or Dave or Al ever attended a M&B show?
-Did Carl ever attend a BB show during his break from the band?
-I think there are some stories of Brian in the audience at some random ‘70s shows.

Anyone have specific examples?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »

I remember reading a story of Brian attending a BB show in the early-mid 90s. Post-Landy, but he stayed off to the side of the stage the whole time. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few instances like that.

David Marks describes in his book watching a few BB shows (pre-1998) from the wings and demurring when asked to play on stage (though eventually of course he did). Dunno if Dave has been to a post-1998 Mike show where he didn’t appear on stage.

Don’t think Mike or Bruce have been to a Brian show post-1998.  

Brian, Al, and Dave all technically saw each other perform solo at the 2005 Hawthorne landmark ceremony. But again, I don’t think for instance Al has been to a Brian show that he wasn’t on stage for.

I don’t think Al has been to a post-1998 Mike show either, apart from the few he was on stage for.

I think there was a review of one of Carl’s Southern California solo gigs that mentioned that pretty much all of the BB’s (barring perhaps Al?) were in the audience.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:22:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

At Brian's Beacon show in NYC in 2006 -- either November 21, 22, or both -- I saw David Marks in the audience. He's a tall dude; hard to miss him.

And in 2013 I saw him and his wife having dinner at the buffet at Ravinia before Brian's show, but since he was participating, I guess that doesn't count, does it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:32:50 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

David was at Brian and Al's Thanksgiving '06 Pet Sounds gig at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre and did not play.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »

Ok, not REAL BB's but a number of the BB's Touring Band members were at the BW + Guests (Clapton,VDP Etc...) Show (for the Carl Foundation) at The Royce Hall at UCLA in 2002 - I certainly remember Mike Meros/Chris Farmer/Mike Kowalski (and possibly Scott) sat near me, and was bowled over by Mike Kowalski who couldn't believe that I had traveled so far for the show/walk and then he insisted that I had a pass for the aftershow backstage party which he duly arranged for me - Happy days
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »

Dennis memorably attended one of Carl's 1981 solo shows in LA, and I believe Brian was there too. Ed would know which one, he took the pics.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 03:20:08 PM »

I remember reading a story of Brian attending a BB show in the early-mid 90s. Post-Landy, but he stayed off to the side of the stage the whole time. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few instances like that.

I hope the photographer won't mind me posting these...

The Beach Boys performing at El Camino Junior College, August 6, 1994:

And if you zoom in visually on the tent at the far right...

Lee
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:03:10 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

Oh, and I guess I can add that I walked right by Ricky Fataar after the gig that Brian/Al/Blondie just did last week in San Francisco, 9/11/2015. Ricky came on stage for the Paramount Theatre gig Brian and Al did in Oakland in 2007, but he didn't appear on stage for this one for whatever reason.

It also doesn't count, but Chuck Britz was in the audience at Brian's gig at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco in 1999!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:16 PM »

And if you zoom in on the tent at the far right...

Lee

Thanks for posting that, Lee. That pic of Brian on the sidelines is really something. Wonder what he was thinking, watching his band play while being off to the side.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »

This could all simply be incorrect, but I read on here once that Bruce attended Brian's first smile performance in 2004 but did not perform obviously.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »

I wonder how many people in the audience realized that it was really Brian at the side of the stage.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »

Kinda strange seeing Brian wearing a baseball cap.  Brian's Trip

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »

Dennis memorably attended one of Carl's 1981 solo shows in LA, and I believe Brian was there too. Ed would know which one, he took the pics.

Brian, Dennis, and Bruce were all in the audience for Carl's show at the Roxy.

During Carl's performance it was hard to miss Dennis' enthusiastic shouting and applause, but while i recognized his voice from another part of the venue, when I looked around I was unable to locate him both during the concert and afterward, including backstage. A few years ago Ed posted pics and I realized why - Dennis was dressed in a tux with his hair slicked back, not looking anything like I would have expected.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:39:25 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »

I'll bet Brian only attended that El Camino gig 'cause it's his alma mater (and Al's)!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »

This could all simply be incorrect, but I read on here once that Bruce attended Brian's first smile performance in 2004 but did not perform obviously.

Correct, you are incorrect. The only BW solo show Bruce has attended is the one he performed at.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 03:49:31 AM »

You'll have to refer to my book for a complete list but off the top of my head: Brian was in the audience at a July 1968 San Diego show and a September 1968 Anaheim gig. He also attended the February 1971 Santa Monica show and was cajoled out of the audience at the December 1971 long beach show and the April 1973 Los Angeles show. He was photographed at the summer 1975 Anaheim show. He and Carl joined mike at one of the first celebration gigs too.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:59:37 AM »

Left out Brian attended the 1966 Hollywood bowl show and the October 1966 Ann Arbor show
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »

Lee

Thanks for posting that, Lee. That pic of Brian on the sidelines is really something. Wonder what he was thinking, watching his band play while being off to the side.

Brian looks very relaxed! Pictures 2 and 3 are different.  Also Van Dyke Parks is there too!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »

Lee

Brian looks very relaxed! Pictures 2 and 3 are different.  Also Van Dyke Parks is there too!

Curious as to where you see VDP

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

Of interest in respect of the Show in question (per above pics) here are some local news reports and 'Live' Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2U92iv-Atw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-tgec97eA

On the second video check out the side tent at 4:55 mins , is that Audree ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:41:29 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »

I believe Mike was in the audience for Brian's Roxy show back in 1999 or 2000 from which the live CD was culled.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pobfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »

Was anyone in attendance at the LA show in the fall of '83, when Dennis showed up backstage and Carl brought him out to wave hello to the fans? It's mentioned in Jon Stebbins' book about Dennis, but I would love to hear a fan's perspective on it as well.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »

Yes, I have a whole series of these photos.  The close-up of Brian is a separate shot.

If you're talking about the guy in the blue shirt with the beard, that's not Van Dyke.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 10:07:34 AM »

I believe Mike was in the audience for Brian's Roxy show back in 1999 or 2000 from which the live CD was culled.

I was there, and there were a LOT of celebrities in attendance that night, but I didn't see Mike.  Brian was presented with a RIAA Gold Record for Pet Sounds that night -- it had just been certified -- and if Mike had been there I think he would have wanted to be a part of that.

Lee
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »

Yes, I have a whole series of these photos.  The close-up of Brian is a separate shot.

If you're talking about the guy in the blue shirt with the beard, that's not Van Dyke.

I'm talking about the guy to the right of the picture with the red shirt, blue hat and moustache. This would have been around the time Brian and VDP were recording Orange Crate Art.  Could it be VDP?

Great photos.  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx