gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:37:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would happen if.......  (Read 4454 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

What would happen if Bruce announced that he was leaving Mike's band to join Brian's??

Would Mike continue touring as "The Beach Boys" even though 4 other other members of the BEACH BOYS are touring as Brian's band?

Just a hypothetical "alternate universe'' type question...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »

I think that the day Bruce leaves will be the day Mike joins him. And the result will still be called The Beach Boys, like last time.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »

I think that the day Bruce leaves will be the day Mike joins him. And the result will still be called The Beach Boys, like last time.

That's agood name for the Band also. " the Beach Boys Like Last Time"
 or maybe it's a description of their last tour?  " The Beach Boys, like,  for the last time, Man"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »

I may be wrong, and somebody please correct me if I am, but doesn't Mike's license require him to have at least one other "real" Beach Boy in the lineup?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »

Bruce has the power to destroy Mike's band, more or less. Evil
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »

Based on myKe's outrageously overwhelming ego, not much would change. He'd still call himself The Beach Boys primarily due to the fact that Bruce could come and go due to his low profile status in the touring band and the average ticket holder could care less. If he joined Brian's stellar band, it would absolutely be on the understanding that he curtail his clapping and myKe adjusting.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »

Bruce leaving Mike's band (retiring, or being asked to leave), however likely that is, is much, much more likely than him joining Brian's band.  I'm sure someone will point to the 1998 Imagination gig, but my guess is that Brian has no burning desire to have Bruce in his band.

I could envision Bruce "retiring" and Mike continuing. I don't think a Bruce departure would impact Mike's touring decisions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:53:06 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »

Bruce leaving Mike's band (retiring, or being asked to leave), however likely that is, is much, much more likely than him joining Brian's band.  I'm sure someone will point to the 1998 Imagination gig, but my guess is that Brian has no burning desire to have Bruce in his band.

I could envision Bruce "retiring" and Mike continuing. I don't think a Bruce departure would impact Mike's touring decisions.

Mike/ BRI would probably make a little more, not paying Bruce's $$

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »

What would happen if Bruce announced that he was leaving Mike's band to join Brian's??

Would Mike continue touring as "The Beach Boys" even though 4 other other members of the BEACH BOYS are touring as Brian's band?

Everyone's head on the Smiley Smile board would 'slode.

Nah, Mike would probably just invite David to join up full-time to "replace" Bruce.

In that scenario, Brian & Al & Bruce (& Blondie?) could perhaps convince Carl's estate to vote in their favor, revoking the BRI license to "The Beach Boys" name from Mike & Co. and (rightfully) granting it to Brian & Co.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »

You obviously are not familiar with how this stuff works. 

Everybody from Lynrd skynrd to The Temptations, to the Platters, to the Four Seasons, to .... well tons of bands.... tour as the original group even though there may not be even ONE original member in the group!   

It's horrible but it's business.  If Bruce left, YES, Mike will tour as the Beach Boys.

As a matter of fact, after Mike dies, a band will still tour as the Beach Boys with no original members. 

Hell for that point, as you know, Bruce isn't an original member anyways.  It's already just 1 original member. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »

Bruce had heart surgery in 2004 and the show went on with just Mike until he was better. Did people ask for refunds? Highly unlikely.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 09:55:27 PM »

I saw the Guess Who in the late 1980's and there wasn't one original member at the time. It turned out to be a very ironic and appropriate band name.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:18 PM »

What would happen if...

you used a less obscure thread title?
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »

If Bruce moved in with Brian, Mike could always invite Stamos.  It'd be almost the same thing.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »

What about Ricki? I'd like him to join Brian's band at some point...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:52 AM »

Nah, Mike would probably just invite David to join up full-time to "replace" Bruce.

In that scenario, Brian & Al & Bruce (& Blondie?) could perhaps convince Carl's estate to vote in their favor, revoking the BRI license to "The Beach Boys" name from Mike & Co. and (rightfully) granting it to Brian & Co.

Weird as it might seem, I personally doubt Brian would want to tour as the BBs in that context. What's the point in the same band touring under a different name?

“We live in divisive times.”
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 02:07:24 AM »

Weird as it might seem, I personally doubt Brian would want to tour as the BBs in that context. What's the point in the same band touring under a different name?

to sell more tickets?

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 02:44:33 AM »

Everybody from Lynrd skynrd to The Temptations, to the Platters, to the Four Seasons, to .... well tons of bands.... tour as the original group even though there may not be even ONE original member in the group!  

As an erstwhile member of a weddings and events band in the Netherlands, I accompanied two entirely different groups calllng themselves The Platters. One set (from Capelle aan den IJssel!) had obviously been born long after The Platters stopped having hits. The other set was older but had no original members either. As their lead singer said, "That's showbizz!" Grin  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:26:16 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »

It's horrible but it's business.  If Bruce left, YES, Mike will tour as the Beach Boys.

As a matter of fact, after Mike dies, a band will still tour as the Beach Boys with no original members.  

Hell for that point, as you know, Bruce isn't an original member anyways.  It's already just 1 original member.  

This is just one example, but have the Four Seasons ever toured under that name without Frankie Valli? I recall that he and Bob Gaudio own the name and the whole enterprise (kind of like a two-man version of BRI), and the name has been used for various lineups with Valli being the one constant.

I recall reading there was a period of time in the mid-late 70s (the "Who Loves You"' era) when they considered "spinning off" a newer, younger lineup of the band as a separate entity from Valli (essentially kind of trying to franchise their name), but I don't think it ever happened.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »

Bruce adds little to Mikes band. It would not be a big deal if he left. Heck, Mike could hire me to stand there and adjust my mic. After much practicing I could probably also learn the above the head hand clap.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »

What would happen if...

you used a less obscure thread title?

LOL

Smiley Smile is king of obscure thread titles. "John Stamos Accused," anybody?
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »

I saw the Guess Who in the late 1980's and there wasn't one original member at the time. It turned out to be a very ironic and appropriate band name.

LOL

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »

LOL
It's my understanding that the Guess Who always has one original member - bassist Jim Kale. No one from the band had bothered to register the name, so Kale registered it himself sometime in the late 70's, and he's had his Guess Who on the road ever since. The exception being in the early 2000's, when a core group of original members reunited for a tour. Oddly, Kale was not one of them - they said he was in poor health. But as soon as the reunion was over, Kale's Klones were back on the road.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

LOL
It's my understanding that the Guess Who always has one original member - bassist Jim Kale. No one from the band had bothered to register the name, so Kale registered it himself sometime in the late 70's, and he's had his Guess Who on the road ever since. The exception being in the early 2000's, when a core group of original members reunited for a tour. Oddly, Kale was not one of them - they said he was in poor health. But as soon as the reunion was over, Kale's Klones were back on the road.

I'm surprised no one has used the form of the band name that appeared on their early singles, simply "Guess Who?"  Legally they could probably pull it off.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx