gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a "vocals only" version of "Please Let Me Wonder"  (Read 2423 times)
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:44:48 AM »

I've heard of a "vocals only" version of "Please Let Me Wonder" but I have never actually been able to track one down - does it exist or is it just a fan-created OOPS mix from the SOT set?

Paul
Jason
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »

An a cappella mix of PLMW is impossible, because Brian overdubbed organ during the instrumental break on the mixdown. The vocals can be isolated, but you'll still hear the organ.

I have an officially created mix of this a cappella version somewhere.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »

Well, it's certainly not impossible to do an a capella mix.  The vocal tracks all exist on multi-track over several generations without any overlap from the instrumental overdub, which was likely punched in at the end of Brian's lead vocal track.  The background vocals are probably somewhat locked in mono, although a single-tracked backing group vocal should exist on it's own track.  It looks something like this, from what I can tell:

gen 1:

L-track
C-bgs 1
R-track

Gen 2:

L-track reduction
C- bgs 1 plus live-to-tape additional bgs 2
R- Brian's lead vocal and punched-in instrumental insert, Carl's "I Love You."

It's kind of odd because there's Mike's attempted lead in there too which may or may not have been wiped from the multis.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

Background vocals in mono? Impossible. On my copy of this a cappella mix there is wide stereo separation (as in HARD to the right channel) on the backing vocals. Lead vocals in the left channel. It's a perfect a cappella mix, minus the organ, which had to have been overdubbed onto the mixdown. Whomever made this mix (not an OOPS) had access to binaural/two-track stereo tapes or work tapes. It could never have been isolated on the SOTs. Someone in the Beach Boys' organization made this mix.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:34:40 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:36:02 PM »

I think that if you take the combined bgv reduction track, pan that opposite the single tracked first vocal overdub, and do some subtle EQing, you can get a pretty nice stereo sound out of the backgrounds.    If you consult the SOT set, you'll find that they present the material in a way that is compatible with my little track rundown:

The tracking session in stereo
the first vocal overdub with stereo track
second vocal overdub attempts with mono track
lead vocal overdub plus organ interlude OD

So, unless they're missing a generation, which seems unlikely, because then there would be more missing from the session, the doubled BGs would have to be in mono.

Perhaps Mark will see this and can clear it up for us.
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:03:40 PM »

Jason

Just wondering if you found that acappella mix of this song...  Wink

Paul
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:00:13 AM »

Wasn't a vocals-only version of  this song featured on an early BBs bootleg?  I'll have to try to look it up. Might even have been available in the pre-CD days.

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Howlett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »

The Capitol Punishment boot has somewhat of an a capella mix. It starts playing a rough mix of the song, then the instruments drop out, and it's just the voices. It sounds pretty neat if you ask me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx