gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:33:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATED Brian and Melinda Wilson, Campaign To Change Direction News and Updates  (Read 16836 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »

If this is one reason the European tour was postponed...well, let's just say at the very least people who were upset better be much more understanding now.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »

Over  80% of seriously advanced cases of  chemical dependence, are  persons with serious mental health issues. These folks often use mood altering chemicals or activities  to escape their mental health issues. They drink, snort, shoot, copulate,gamble, overeat, starve, binge  and vomit---to escape the emotional  or terrorizing symptoms  they  experience. Chemical Dependency  treatment is only  the beginning of a  long  journey  to a balanced life. For example, Dennis Wilson's possibly going to treatment  is often  thought to have been the  remedy to his health getting better. Even if  he had gone to treatment, it would have been only the start of a long road that would  have taken years for him to finish.

Peter - agree 100%...

Brian will reach and do the most good starting with veteran's groups.  No single group deserves it more.

Maybe it will help the veteran's hospitals "up their game" as they are are in great need of a "total makeover."  And this medical care area needs to come out of the shadows.

Go Brian!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »

Here are a few media reports from the events yesterday, one short TV interview and a radio interview in the first two links.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2015/09/17/brian-wilson-music-madness-and-healing/72365666/

http://wtop.com/entertainment/2015/09/brian-wilson-paul-dano-talk-love-mercy-beach-boys-music-mental-illness/

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/254072-beach-boy-brian-wilson-speaks-out-for-mental-health-awareness

http://www.shfwire.com/movie-love-mercy-raises-awareness-mental-health/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »

Melinda "Bedletter"?!?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

That typo needs to be (make that should have been) corrected, obviously.  Huh  Undecided Roll Eyes Angry

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

How many people that have mental problems, either mild or severe are aware of it?

How many people do you know, either very well or casually, that are not quite right but otherwise function fairly normal?

If you stop and think about it, it's really no mystery that Brian did not get up on a soap box in the 60's, 80's or whenever and declare that he suffered from some pretty serious mental heath problems. In so many cases, I would even argue the vast majority, people with mental issues are either not aware of it, are in denial, or just plain want to hide and bury it.

Brian did do a lot of street drugs and I'm sure they caused a measure of harm, but the crux of the most damage certainly seems due to his fragile mental state since way back, as well as the crap Landy fed him.

I read a review for L&M on amazon by another misinformed goof claiming the movie was not very good because they made it seem like Brian's father and others caused his problems when it was decades of drug abuse and that was why he needed to see Landy in the first place. Totally wrong. Brian and Melinda were consulted in the movie and say "they got it right". Not that Brian always gives us the truth, but in this case he did. It would have been a lot easier and marketable to do the... this is what happens when you mess your life up from drugs angle... than the complex story we got. Not to mention, the street drug abuse is seen and mentioned in the film a number of times.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:17:52 PM by Paul J B » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »

An exclusive Q&A with Brian and Melinda has been posted to ESQ's Facebook page.  The credentials for the the interview were setup through ESQ, so that's where it has been posted. 

It will be posted to Examiner in a few days.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »

I gotta find a way to go this show.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

An exclusive Q&A with Brian and Melinda has been posted to ESQ's Facebook page.  The credentials for the the interview were setup through ESQ, so that's where it has been posted.  

Presumably this newfound sensitivity towards mental health issues won't involve you calling him "brain-damaged" again?

Any followup questions on Evan Landy's "interesting" tabloid piece perhaps? Cousin Mike thought it was so interesting, and you thought it was so worth spreading to readers. Surely BW/MW would too! Campaign to Change Direction, indeed... whew.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:10:55 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »

An exclusive Q&A with Brian and Melinda has been posted to ESQ's Facebook page.  The credentials for the the interview were setup through ESQ, so that's where it has been posted.  

Presumably this newfound sensitivity towards mental health issues won't involve you calling him "brain-damaged" again?

Any followup questions on Evan Landy's "interesting" tabloid piece perhaps? Cousin Mike thought it was so interesting, and you thought it was so worth spreading to readers. Surely BW/MW would too! Campaign to Change Direction, indeed... whew.

I found your reply to be hurtful, but I do understand why you wrote it.  I used the wrong professional terminology for Brian's condition.  I have apologized to Brian and Melinda.  We've moved on.  

Newfound?

Anyone who knows me realizes that I wasn't trying to cast any aspersions.  My 13-year-old son has Down syndrome — a chromosome disorder — and I have Epilepsy, something I have had to manage in my life since 1982.  If anyone has brain damage — due to the seizures I suffered in the early 1980s — it's me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:06:58 PM by DMBeard_13 » Logged

In Music,
David
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »

found your reply to be hurtful, but I do understand why you wrote it.  I used the wrong professional terminology for Brian's condition.  I have apologized to Brian and Melinda.  We've moved on.

Newfound?

Anyone who knows me realizes that I wasn't trying to cast any dispersions.  My 13-year-old son has Down syndrome — a chromosome disorder — and I have Epilepsy, something I have had to manage in my life since 1982.  If anyone has brain damage — due to the seizures I suffered in the early 1980s — it's me.

It was meant to be hurtful, if you want to swap life histories and compare loved ones... you'd know why I found your "brain-damaged" comment unbelievably nasty and misinformed. I'm not going to use them as props in an argument, tho.

It seemed a lot more than just using "the wrong professional terminology" in the context of you portraying him as a near-vegetable with lines like "He sits behind the piano, and on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band" -- so yeah, anger was definitely generated. Especially in a year when he's been doing kickass shows and has been fully engaged.

You should've known better, and it's good that you realize it now.

Also, what you want to avoid casting are aspersions. Casting dispersions just confuses people!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:51:12 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »

It seemed a lot more than just using "the wrong professional terminology" in the context of you portraying him as a near-vegetable with lines like "He sits behind the piano, and on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band" -- so yeah, anger was definitely generated. Especially in a year when he's been doing kickass shows and has been fully engaged.

Not to mention David stating it's unfortunate Brian isn't the same person today as he was in the 60s. Just seems to be a pattern of comments like this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »

found your reply to be hurtful, but I do understand why you wrote it.  I used the wrong professional terminology for Brian's condition.  I have apologized to Brian and Melinda.  We've moved on.

Newfound?

Anyone who knows me realizes that I wasn't trying to cast any dispersions.  My 13-year-old son has Down syndrome — a chromosome disorder — and I have Epilepsy, something I have had to manage in my life since 1982.  If anyone has brain damage — due to the seizures I suffered in the early 1980s — it's me.

It was meant to be hurtful, if you want to swap life histories and compare loved ones... you'd know why I found your "brain-damaged" comment unbelievably nasty and misinformed. I'm not going to use them as props in an argument, tho.

Also, what you want to avoid casting are aspersions. Casting dispersions just confuses people!

Of my observations, nothing was made up or manufactured.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:05:39 PM by DMBeard_13 » Logged

In Music,
David
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »

Newfound?

It was meant to be hurtful?  You purposely attacked me?

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone who likes The Beach Boys or Brian Wilson's music would purposely attack someone on a Beach Boys message board, when the music has brought so much joy into our lives.

Brian and Melinda wouldn't have done the Q&A with me if there was an issue. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:19:00 PM by DMBeard_13 » Logged

In Music,
David
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »

It was meant to be hurtful?  You purposely attacked me?

For the life of me, I don't understand how anyone who likes The Beach Boys or Brian Wilson's music would purposely attack someone on a Beach Boys message board, when the music has brought so much joy into our lives.

Oh David, you said yourself you understand why I wrote it. Stop trying to make some ploy to have my comment deleted as a personal attack or something. You know you were wrong and apologized. Stop flailing about like that, it's undignified. 

What are you gonna do next, call some of Smiley Smile assholes again like you did last time? Gee that was so hurtful. I don't understand why anybody would launch such personal attacks when blah blah joy music blah blah joy.

Of course the music brings us such joy. Which is why I don't get why your NPP album review was all about defending Mike Love, why you put out that ridiculous piece stirring up trouble with Mike Love about Love & Mercy, why you called BW brain-damaged, why you made up that bullshit about how he only occasionally joins in and sings when inspired. 

Maybe you're just not the same man you are today as you were in the 90s? I dunno. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:27:21 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »

Not to mention David stating it's unfortunate Brian isn't the same person today as he was in the 60s. Just seems to be a pattern of comments like this.

It is unfortunate.  Ever since Pet Sounds music critics and fans have been historically waiting for the next great thing from Brian.  Personally, "That Lucky Old Sun" is a modern day work of art, and "Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin" is the icing on the cake.  

As for the Smile Sessions; THE BEST MUSIC EVER MADE BY ANYONE.  

In Music,
David
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »

Dude, just a couple months ago you called a lot of us here "assholes" last time we challenged a statement of yours that you yourself just called "wrong terminology" Roll Eyes

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »

It is unfortunate.  Ever since Pet Sounds music critics and fans have been historically waiting for the next great thing from Brian.  

Yeah, I know! BW puts out a fun album like No Pier Pressure and for some reason, some reviews about it just revolve around defending Mike Love! Baffling.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:29:16 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »

It was meant to be hurtful?  You purposely attacked me?

Oh David, you said yourself you understand why I wrote it. Stop trying to make some ploy to have my comment deleted as a personal attack or something. You know you were wrong and apologized. Stop flailing about.

What are you gonna do next, call some of Smiley Smile assholes again like you did last time?

I understand why you wrote it, but not why you would be purposely trying to hurt me.   You said it.  Your posts have venom in them.  I don't know you, or who this is, but the music matters… None of this means anything.

In Music,
David
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »

Then dear lord, put on a record and stop posting! The time you save may be your own!
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

It is unfortunate.  Ever since Pet Sounds music critics and fans have been historically waiting for the next great thing from Brian.  

Yeah, I know! BW puts out a fun album like No Pier Pressure and for some reason, some reviews about it just revolve around defending Mike Love! Baffling.

FUNNY!  You obviously don't subscribe to ESQ… lots of coverage.  None of which mentions anyone not involved in the album.

In Music,
David
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »

Then dear lord, put on a record and stop posting! The time you save may be your own!

Amen brotha'.  I am always listening to something when online.  Right now:  "Cabin Essence" sessions. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:31:45 PM by DMBeard_13 » Logged

In Music,
David
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »

Dr. John, "Desitively Bonnaroo." Alright, enough snipping back and forth. The point is frozen, the beast is dead. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »

To get back on topic for a second..... Anyone have any guess on how much the tickets for this benefit gig may cost. I really really wanna go but I'm also a poor college student who's already seen Brian twice and have tickets for a third show but still it's Brian F...ing Wilson! And I'm sure the crowd will be super small and the show super intimate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:20:29 PM by baseball95 » Logged
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »

I'm glad he's doing this. Mental health is really important and Brian definitely knows that. He's the perfect person to support this.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx