gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:02:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWEET INSANITY - DUPE CASSETTE  (Read 10993 times)
Bosco82
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »

I believe the new Spirit of Rock & Roll was recorded the same time as Walking Down The Path Of Life/Love And Mercy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »

You believe correctly.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:44 AM »

Would love to have one of these cassettes...
Darian Sahanaja's version of I Do/Do You Have Any Regrets pretty much shows the true potential of some of these tunes, though I even like the original take on this particular song. Dross like Brian/Thank You and Smart Girls never should have happened and in terms of being a duet The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll is just as much a letdown as A Friend Like You, but other than that this could've been an album only slightly inferior to BW88. Lots of bland lyrics of course - better listen to these before you even consider criticising Mike Love.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 05:30:33 AM »

Dross like Brian/Thank You and Smart Girls never should have happened and in terms of being a duet The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll is just as much a letdown as A Friend Like You, but other than that this could've been an album only slightly inferior to BW88. Lots of bland lyrics of course.

Other than the lyrics, I actually like "Brian (Thank You)"; catchy melody and somewhat tender Brian vocal. It's just my opinion/speculation, but I think the lyrics to that song, and a few others, were starting to maybe alarm/piss off the Beach Boys' family, with the phrases about "beatings from my father" and mentioning his "cousin", and stuff like that. Brian was developing this almost cockiness about himself that was very off-putting.

Also, my favorite version of "The Spirit Of Rock & Roll" is from the 25th Anniversary TV Special. At the end of the song, Brian took it - I'm not a musician, what's the term - to another key? Everybody was getting into it at the end. A classic example of a Brian solo song that should've been a Beach Boys' song, and never reached its full potential. Maybe they'll resurrect it for the reunion album! Cheesy
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »

I agree, The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll could've been gold in the hands of the group. It's very eighties/early nineties however, almost like something Huey Lewis And The News could've come up with. Always found it amazing how so many bands from that particular time frame would be singing about rock'n'roll in a very retro fashion to the sound of keyboards and drum machines.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 10:05:23 AM »

Always found it amazing how so many bands from that particular time frame would be singing about rock'n'roll in a very retro fashion to the sound of keyboards and drum machines.
I'm sure they thought they were bringing a classic sound into the modern era. And I guess they were--just not in a way that necessarily held up over time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

Brian was developing this almost cockiness about himself that was very off-putting.

Are we sure that Brian wrote those lyrics though? I always assumed that it was the work of Landy. But yes I agree with you otherwise Sheriff, I don't mind the song so much... obviously the lyrics are bad but the song itself ain't all that bad.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »

Brian was developing this almost cockiness about himself that was very off-putting.

Are we sure that Brian wrote those lyrics though? I always assumed that it was the work of Landy. But yes I agree with you otherwise Sheriff, I don't mind the song so much... obviously the lyrics are bad but the song itself ain't all that bad.

Oh, I'm sure Landy (or his girlfriend) had a large hand in the lyrics. I just added that part about Brian's attitude because, during those Landy years, Brian was transforming from the shy, humble, almost insecure sounding person, into this bragging, fake, almost LOUD personality. For example, everytime I listen (which isn't often) to the lyrics in "Smart Girls" - My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand. C'mon, give me a break. And, in interviews, the way Brian used to almost brag about how much weight he lost, how his album was gonna go right up the charts, how he was so much different from the old Brian. I LIKED the old Brian!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »

Oh, I'm sure Landy (or his girlfriend) had a large hand in the lyrics. I just added that part about Brian's attitude because, during those Landy years, Brian was transforming from the shy, humble, almost insecure sounding person, into this bragging, fake, almost LOUD personality. For example, everytime I listen (which isn't often) to the lyrics in "Smart Girls" - My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand. C'mon, give me a break. And, in interviews, the way Brian used to almost brag about how much weight he lost, how his album was gonna go right up the charts, how he was so much different from the old Brian. I LIKED the old Brian!

Oh I see what you mean now. I just hate that whole era so much.. I especially hated when you'd see interviews with Brian where he was just incoherent.. like that interview with Diane Sawyer and perhaps one of the worst I have seen, the interview on that Theremin documentary... man that's sad to watch.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »

Obviously the damage Landy did to Brian with his drug regime was far worse, but the mental programming/brainwashing from that period was just as sickening... and lingers still in some ways. Remember the "a good dog waits for his master" quote ? I nearly puked. Plus, it made Brian more susceptible to such 'programming' in the future, sadly.

But... in some ways it was ever thus: as someone very close to him observed to me once, "keep Brian fed and he'll do whatever you want".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:06:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 01:57:20 AM »

Almost incredible how much the tone of his voice changed during these years, isn't it? I don't mean his voice being damaged but something way underneath the surface. Worst thing about it is his "loud personality" never seemed in any way authentic. Maybe this overall sense of change provided an almost escapist promise of finally getting rid of his "demons", yet I believe it probably could've been much more healthful for BW to learn feeling comfortable about being himself, which includes accepting one's shyness and other so-called weaknesses (that don't necessarily qualify for being signs of mental illness as such).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »

Sorry, how about this: Wow, what a great deal for whoever is lucky enough to get that one! While I may have said negative things about it in the past, I was clearly wrong not to agree with those of you who consider this album full of 80s goodness. Rainbow Eyes is on par with the best the man ever did. My previous opinions are very, very wrong, and that I held to them showed stubbornness, not consistent honesty.

Luther's real name is Kim Jong-Bong and he's in North-Korea, being questioned in a court case over his erroneous ways.

I claim my $ 1,000.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

Sorry, how about this: Wow, what a great deal for whoever is lucky enough to get that one! While I may have said negative things about it in the past, I was clearly wrong not to agree with those of you who consider this album full of 80s goodness. Rainbow Eyes is on par with the best the man ever did. My previous opinions are very, very wrong, and that I held to them showed stubbornness, not consistent honesty.

Luther's real name is Kim Jong-Bong and he's in North-Korea, being questioned in a court case over his erroneous ways.

I claim my $ 1,000.
They're waterboarding me. Send help.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 02:57:10 AM »

I claim my $ 1,000.
They're waterboarding me. Send help.

Grin  you really need a new surfboard in these dire circumstances? You poor soul...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Saucy Jack
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

I ordered one of these and it sounds great.  I already transferred it to CD and I am willing to share with anyone interested in a copy.

Just let me know. 

ps- I am always looking for a better version of the Paley Sessions if anyone wants to trade.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:16 AM »

I ordered one of these and it sounds great.  I already transferred it to CD and I am willing to share with anyone interested in a copy.

Just let me know. 

ps- I am always looking for a better version of the Paley Sessions if anyone wants to trade.

Sauzy Jack, welcome on the board....
... but check the rules please. All good intentions aside, you're trying to cross some lines here. Do not openly ask or offer these please.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Saucy Jack
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Sorry for breaking the rules.  I wasn't trying to sell anything, just share it, but I completely understand your point.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board, although I joined this version about two years ago. I was "Bud Shaver" before it was moved.

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »

Does anyone happen to have a copy of this that they'd be willing to part with? The cassette, not a bootleg haha Not trying to buy this off anyone Razz
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:04:21 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »

I have the 'millennium edition" of SI, and while it's nowhere near as good as BW88, it has it's moments. "Do You Have Any Regrets" or "I Do" is a nice tune with probably the best lyrics on the set. "Thank You" aka "Brian" has a lovely melody/chords, but awful lyrics. Best version of "Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll" is the best version I've heard. This has gotta be the most uptempo album Brian's ever done away from the BB's. In fact, I remember some reviews of the 1988 album stating disappointment that it leaned so heavily on slower material, saying his voice was not particularly good on ballads anymore. Maybe those were the same reviewers that loved SI. I sure like it better than the MOR stuff he is putting out these days.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »

Oh I see what you mean now. I just hate that whole era so much.. I especially hated when you'd see interviews with Brian where he was just incoherent.. like that interview with Diane Sawyer and perhaps one of the worst I have seen, the interview on that Theremin documentary... man that's sad to watch.

It was a horrible era but Landy was out of the picture by the time of the Theramin documentary, although I'm sure the damage still lingered.  I also hated the fact that the words were coming out of Brian's mouth but you could tell they had, most likely, come from Landy during a 'pep' talk. See AGD's quote.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx