gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:16:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IJWMFTT - background vocals  (Read 6099 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:31:42 AM »

The chorus lyrics can be divided into:

1. Sometimes I feel very sad. (Brian) - double tracked right channel
2. Cuando sere? Un dia sere. (In English: When will it be? One day it will be.)(group)
3. Ain't found the right thing I can put my heart and soul into. (Mike)
4. People I know don't wanna be where I'm at. (Brian, falsetto)

4 is almost impossible to pick out. At the end of disc 2 of PSS one can find the 1 and 2 acapella (left and right channels respectively) as a hidden bonus track at the end of Here Today - Stereo Backing Track (after the "top please" spoken part which was included in the mono released version of HT and also included as a scene in the "Love And Mercy" biopic.)

However, and this is where it gets more confusing, if one listens very closely to 3, that which is credited to Mike sounds awfully like Brian. What's more, the 2 sounds more like a stack of Brians doing the Spanish lyrics. Is it the case that the BGVs might be only Brian and that he did them alone because either the BBs were not present or because it was a very personal song? Also, anyone have a mix which makes 4 more audible?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:05:24 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »

All the voices are Brian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »

In this 2012 interview, the group is asked about IJWMFTT. Bruce claims they all were on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFsqQqvwuo&feature=youtu.be&t=14m10s

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

I've long been under the impression that this song was the source of the famous story of Brian erasing all the groups vocals and replacing them with himself because the group hadn't been able to get it right. Is there any truth to that?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

I've long been under the impression that this song was the source of the famous story of Brian erasing all the groups vocals and replacing them with himself because the group hadn't been able to get it right. Is there any truth to that?

I think that's I'm Waiting for the Day.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »

Another interesting point is that during the C50 press junket, they discuss this song and the Spanish part and Al says he has absolutely zero recollection of it, even accusing the group of putting him on right there about it.  After pledging their honesty, he still doesn't remember anything about it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »

Another interesting point is that during the C50 press junket, they discuss this song and the Spanish part and Al says he has absolutely zero recollection of it, even accusing the group of putting him on right there about it.  After pledging their honesty, he still doesn't remember anything about it.

I remembered the same thing when I saw the thread-title. And that after Al already toured the Pet Sounds album with Brian....  Grin

The chorus lyrics can be divided into:

1. Sometimes I feel very sad. (Brian) - double tracked right channel
2. Cuando sere? Un dia sere. (In English: When will it be? One day it will be.)(group)
3. Ain't found the right thing I can put my heart and soul into. (Mike)
4. People I know don't wanna be where I'm at. (Brian, falsetto)

I'm pretty sure 3) is also Brian.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

Positive that number 3 is Brian and not Mike.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »

Not so - according to the Columbia track cards, two of the eight tracks are "vocal group".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »

"Cuando sere? Un dia sere." I can kinda hear it being a group vocal, with Brian pretty high in the mix. But number 3 I've always heard as Brian.

Then again for the longest time I thought 'Meant For You' was sung by Brian, so I'm probably not the best judge of these things.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »

Not so - according to the Columbia track cards, two of the eight tracks are "vocal group".

Yes, the Spanish lyrics. But everything else is Brian in that tag.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »

From my notes on the Pet Sounds sessions:

The Alternate Mix from the Capitol box set is a rough mix minus the group vocals that come in during the latter half of the verses, but with the Spanish bit, and with Brian's tape reverb "echo" vocal part at the end (which were not used on the final version). This is likely how the song stood on or shortly after the March 10th vocal session, and possibly when the first album master was assembled April 4th.

It would seem that Vocal Group No. 1 and Vocal Group No. 2 (the group's main backgrounds) were the parts added on April 13th, prior to the first reassembly of the album on April 16th.

Some punch-ins on Brian's verse lead - in fact, there's an obvious punch-in (or punch-out) at the end of the last line of both verses that sounds exactly like Dennis.

Vocal group part is double-tracked except on the Spanish bit

Brian's main chorus lead ("Sometimes I feel very sad") exists on the main lead tracks (the verses), and is double-tracked (a voice is heard just prior to the start of the first chorus lead, indicating a punch-out, and the first syllable of the second chorus ("Some-") is chopped off by a late punch-out...also, at the end of this track, Brian can be heard saying "It's over...OK...put it on 5 now" (meaning this was obviously Track 2),  after which the tail-end from a previous take remains: Brian demonstrating the title line to Dennis, who then sings it through).

Brian's two counterpoints are not doubled ("Ain't found the right thing I can put my heart and sou-l into" and the high "People I know don't wanna be / where I'm at").

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »

Brian reportedly said something similar in '96, when the Spanish part was discovered. Something like, "No, we never did that."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

That would be the same Alan Jardine who, during an interview about his solo album, not only insisted "Highway" was unreleased but also denied singing the lead vocal ?

'kay...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:03 PM »

Just to clarify, I wasn't using that as any kind of "evidence".  I'm well aware that Al's memory isn't exactly elephantine.  Wink
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 02:56:25 AM »

żCuando sere? Un dia sere. (In English would be: When will I be? One day I will be)

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:41 AM »

On that song, I think Mike and Marilyn sing parts along with Brian.
I think Brian redoing vocals by others on the album mostly involved leads: the bridge of WIBN (although he ultimately reversed his decision there), IWFTD, SLOOP, IJWMFTT.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:59 AM »

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever listed all the backing vocal lyrics? I don't want every doo-dit-doo-waah-ey or repeats of the main lyric but where, as here, the background lyrics add new vocals to the song I'd be very interested in reading about them.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »

On that song, I think Mike and Marilyn sing parts along with Brian.
I think Brian redoing vocals by others on the album mostly involved leads: the bridge of WIBN (although he ultimately reversed his decision there), IWFTD, SLOOP, IJWMFTT.

When it comes to "I'm waiting for the day" I think Mike's leadvocal (to be heard on the boxset) is fantastic! Would've loved if that one was used on the album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 08:25:20 AM »

Just to clarify, I wasn't using that as any kind of "evidence".  I'm well aware that Al's memory isn't exactly elephantine.  Wink

Yeah, Al’s been doing this for decades. I recall a fan story from the 70s or 80s where someone asked Al to sign a copy of “Smiley Smile”, and when Al saw the album, he seemed fascinated and asked where the fan got it, as if it was some long-lost, obscure thing that never got released. Yet, in other interviews, he has specifically talked about the “Smiley Smile” album. I think a lot of cool info can actually be pried out of Al, but sometimes it’s probably helpful to have visual or audio aids. Show him an album, hum him the song, play him the song, and that probably helps for him and probably a lot of the guys in the band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

'Twould make sense; I mean, these guys recorded hundreds upon hundreds of song -- including a vast deal that never saw the light of day -- it's hard to keep things straight. It's easy for us because we listen to this stuff intensely, but I really don't picture any Beach Boys listening to themselves (except maybe Bruce!) and studying their own history...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »

It's an eye-opener when listeners getting into Pet Sounds realize just how many of those voices on the tracks were Brian's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »

Yeah, Al’s been doing this for decades. I recall a fan story from the 70s or 80s where someone asked Al to sign a copy of “Smiley Smile”, and when Al saw the album, he seemed fascinated and asked where the fan got it, as if it was some long-lost, obscure thing that never got released.

Perhaps Al was asked to sign this version of Smiley Smile:

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 04:42:37 AM »

That would be the same Alan Jardine who, during an interview about his solo album, not only insisted "Highway" was unreleased but also denied singing the lead vocal ?

'kay...

Man, don't dismiss everything the guy says based on one thing he got wrong. You record like 50,000 songs in the span of 15 years in the middle of touring and writing and trying not to strangle your bandmates etc. etc. etc. and try to keep it all straight. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »

Another interesting point is that during the C50 press junket, they discuss this song and the Spanish part and Al says he has absolutely zero recollection of it, even accusing the group of putting him on right there about it.  After pledging their honesty, he still doesn't remember anything about it.

'kay...

Man, don't dismiss everything the guy says based on one thing he got wrong. You record like 50,000 songs in the span of 15 years in the middle of touring and writing and trying not to strangle your bandmates etc. etc. etc. and try to keep it all straight. Cry

He didn't originally sing the lead. Billy Hinsche did. There's a lot that anyone whos 72 years old won't remember.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:23:14 AM by Woodstock » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx