gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:20:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's A Beatles project that one could only wish the BBs would emulate  (Read 8243 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 06:35:14 AM »

For now, I think I'll just go ahead and put this Beatles release on my Amazon Wish List.  Although, I wish they did a separate DVD release so I didn't have to get the '1' album again.  Oh well. 

Actually there is a separate DVD release and it's listed on Amazon at this link!

The only bummer is it's only the one disc version. As of this moment I'm probably gonna get the one CD, two DVD set, since I will want the new stereo mixes on CD and because I will want all the extra videos they are putting on the second DVD.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 06:49:30 AM »

For now, I think I'll just go ahead and put this Beatles release on my Amazon Wish List.  Although, I wish they did a separate DVD release so I didn't have to get the '1' album again.  Oh well. 

Actually there is a separate DVD release and it's listed on Amazon at this link!

The only bummer is it's only the one disc version. As of this moment I'm probably gonna get the one CD, two DVD set, since I will want the new stereo mixes on CD and because I will want all the extra videos they are putting on the second DVD.

Same here. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »

Remember there was an hour-long video compilation run on AMC about 12-13 years ago when they did the "AmPop" summer promotion, and they had a neat collection of film clips, promos, TV commercials, and Dennis' full POB promotional film edited together. Even without paying Andy Williams' estate or the Merv Griffin company, there are some pretty neat clips that could be used I'd think for a scaled-down version of what the Beatles are doing here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »

Remember there was an hour-long video compilation run on AMC about 12-13 years ago when they did the "AmPop" summer promotion, and they had a neat collection of film clips, promos, TV commercials, and Dennis' full POB promotional film edited together. Even without paying Andy Williams' estate or the Merv Griffin company, there are some pretty neat clips that could be used I'd think for a scaled-down version of what the Beatles are doing here.

I agree. 

I'm sure it would be darn near impossible to get a complete anthology.  Even the video images used by the actual Beach Boys in concert are not the best quality. 

But, I'm sure something could be released. 

Quite frankly, as well as The Beatles do things, I'm surprised it took them this long to put out a collection like this. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »

A collection even of stuff like that would be great. I think the main roadblock again is sync rights to the compositions for home video, which gets infinitely more expensive than even TV airings typically.

The bummer with AMC is that they aired all of that cool footage in small groupings rather than the originally-planned stand-alone TV special that was going to compile everything. So it was hard to snag all the footage without incessantly watching AMC. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »

quoting you from 2014:  

I actually thought at one point someone had ID'ed the origin of the Friends video, but I may have been mistaken. The first time I saw it was on American cable TV, when the AMC network was doing a summer promotion and featuring all kinds of beach movies from the 60's. They called it "Am-Pop", and in between the films they'd run various short films and music clips. Featured heavily was the Beach Boys.

Eventually they compiled all of the Beach Boys videos and ran them as a collection, and this was compiled for AMC by Alan Boyd. At the time the real "finds" (at least for me) included the GV firehouse promo in terrific quality, the Friends a capella clip, the full version of Ed Roach's Dennis Wilson album promo, and a short clip of the early 70's BBs standing around Bruce Johnston at a Hammond organ in the studio. That was ID'ed as a promo for an airline or something...

there was more info from others, in the same thread.  
Seems to me with the Capitol and BRI owned videos, the BBs could produce a fairly nice product.
Of course, that would take management, which they're WAY short on, and member agreement ( which they're also WAY short on)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KDS
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »

quoting you from 2014:  

I actually thought at one point someone had ID'ed the origin of the Friends video, but I may have been mistaken. The first time I saw it was on American cable TV, when the AMC network was doing a summer promotion and featuring all kinds of beach movies from the 60's. They called it "Am-Pop", and in between the films they'd run various short films and music clips. Featured heavily was the Beach Boys.

Eventually they compiled all of the Beach Boys videos and ran them as a collection, and this was compiled for AMC by Alan Boyd. At the time the real "finds" (at least for me) included the GV firehouse promo in terrific quality, the Friends a capella clip, the full version of Ed Roach's Dennis Wilson album promo, and a short clip of the early 70's BBs standing around Bruce Johnston at a Hammond organ in the studio. That was ID'ed as a promo for an airline or something...

Seems to me with the Capitol and BRI owned videos, the BBs could produce a fairly nice product.
Of course, that would take management, which they're WAY short on, and member agreement ( which they're also WAY short on)

Not to sound morbid, but more archival releases might have to wait until these decisions fall into the bands of the children of Mike, Brian, and Al. 

Just a theory, and I hope that's something that's still in the distant future. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »

quoting you from 2014:  

Bgas coming through with the archival quotes!  Smiley

That AMC promotion ran in two formats, and I remember this because I had recorded what i could on VHS, then lost the key tape that had the hour-long full compilation, and spent some time asking around for it until a board member on what was then The Smile Shop came through. I'll always appreciate that gesture!

But what AMC did was to air beach-themed movies on a given weekend night, and in between the films they'd run the short clips. So you'd get a beach flick, then see about 10 minutes of clips like the GV promo, Donna Loren and Dick Dale singing "Muscle Bustle", Brian singing "The Lonely Sea" from Girls On The Beach, etc.

After THAT, if you were lucky enough to find it in the days before on-screen channel schedules and on-demand cable, they would run the hour-long compilation that I mentioned above, and in the quote Bgas found mentioning Friends and the airline commercial that Ed Roach found. GREAT stuff. This was the VHS tape which I originally lost, then found via a fellow fan back in 2002 or so.

I have the full tracklist of the hour-long version on another computer, but needless to say it was a very enjoyable hour of Beach boys film clips, and even if you take out the POB promotional film which was the longest clip by far, you could still pad that time with enough Beach Boys material to at least be something comparable to the Beatles project.

And it could be done without paying the Andy Williams estate... Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »

I ended up tracking down most of the AMC stuff (including the airline commercial bit) either by taping it myself or through others. My recollection is that AMC may have at some point run a full hour of the BB footage. But they originally did a big announcement of the whole big BB promotion they were doing, and that they were going to do a fully-produced TV special of that footage (with a title, etc.), separate from airing "Endless Harmony" and whatnot. I vaguely recall the supposed special was given a title in one of the press releases. I actually just did some Googling, and it jogged my memory, it was a special that was going to be titled "The Beach Boys - Then & Now."

But that never happened as I recall; they aired the footage as filler bits and then at some point apparently did run a full hour or so of the footage. But I don't think it was a full "TV special" with a title and credits or anything. It was just a case of, if you watched the channel all the time or had a VCR running all the time, you managed to catch it. But unless someone can confirm from their old VHS tape, I don't think they ever put together something actually called "Then & Now."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:59:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »

I ended up tracking down most of the AMC stuff (including the airline commercial bit) either by taping it myself or through others. My recollection is that AMC may have at some point run a full hour of the BB footage. But they originally did a big announcement of the whole big BB promotion they were doing, and that they were going to do a fully-produced TV special (with a title, etc.). But that never happened as I recall; they aired the footage as filler bits and then at some point apparently did run a full hour or so of the footage. But I don't think it was a full "TV special" with a title and credits or anything. It was just a case of, if you watched the channel all the time or had a VCR running all the time, you managed to catch it.

It wasn't apparently, they absolutely did run the hour-long program as I just said above I watched it and recorded it off AMC when it aired!  LOL

I still have the replacement tape on VHS. And it was the summer promotion with AMC that particular year, so usually late-night after the regular Am-Pop film broadcasts, I remember seeing the Beach Boys clip compilation airing randomly at times like 3am or so. They aired it several times, too.

It would be an hour of clips, or maybe 45 minutes or so minus POB, that would be "ready to go" if it could ever be worked out by corporate.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »

I ended up tracking down most of the AMC stuff (including the airline commercial bit) either by taping it myself or through others. My recollection is that AMC may have at some point run a full hour of the BB footage. But they originally did a big announcement of the whole big BB promotion they were doing, and that they were going to do a fully-produced TV special (with a title, etc.). But that never happened as I recall; they aired the footage as filler bits and then at some point apparently did run a full hour or so of the footage. But I don't think it was a full "TV special" with a title and credits or anything. It was just a case of, if you watched the channel all the time or had a VCR running all the time, you managed to catch it.

It wasn't apparently, they absolutely did run the hour-long program as I just said above I watched it and recorded it off AMC when it aired!  LOL

I still have the replacement tape on VHS. And it was the summer promotion with AMC that particular year, so usually late-night after the regular Am-Pop film broadcasts, I remember seeing the Beach Boys clip compilation airing randomly at times like 3am or so. They aired it several times, too.

It would be an hour of clips, or maybe 45 minutes or so minus POB, that would be "ready to go" if it could ever be worked out by corporate.

Yep, they did air that larger hunk of footage. But unless someone can mention otherwise, and also the reason so few fans even caught that longer airing of footage, is because they never programmed it as the "Then & Now" special as they originally planned/announced.

A few of the clips AMC aired have since been released ("Friends" promo film, "Good Vibrations" promo film). While a release of the footage they aired would be great, I'd rather see BRI put some more thought into something more organized and substantive.

The problem isn't that BRI won't put the time or money into clearing or paying for any particular piece of footage. The whole mindset appears faulty; they (and it seems at least some of the shareholders) have little interest in helping along any archival releases. And I'm pretty sure they *have* been presented with other ideas that were never followed up on, because both management and at least some if not all of the shareholders aren't even anywhere near that train of thought.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »

Those clips that ended up in full on AMC's "Am Pop" were clips that didn't make it onto Endless Harmony, and I thought when AMC was setting up the project they asked for short films and content to run in between the feature films they were showing...is that accurate? I watched a lot of the AMC programming back then and don't recall hearing that AMC would be involved in creating a special around the Beach Boys that was anything beyond the clips they had asked for to run between the beach movies.

The hour-long program is (as it exists on my VHS) and was just a compilation of the short clips Alan and Ed had assembled, and I think I remember some of the hours showed a different sequence of the film clips, although I could be wrong on that due to this being over a decade ago and airing late at night on weekends...(do the math, lol)

I say this based on comments posted here by Ed Roach and either here or elsewhere by Alan Boyd who described the offer coming from AMC asking for clips to run on Am Pop, nothing mentioned about a full-blown special. Could the special have just been scuttlebutt that never got past the drawing board, like the original announcement around 1994 of a PS and Smile sessions box set project that never materialized?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »

Here is what I was able to dig up from my old notes:

The Beach Boys: Then and Now
Running on (AMC) American Movie Classics
This Saturday, March 25, 2000
At 11:00 pm - 12:00 am ET

Featured Artists
The Beach Boys

About Beach Boys: Then and Now

One-hour special featuring classic performances of the group's timeless hits combined with interviews and rare footage from The Beach Boys' own archives. This light-hearted time capsule features segments juxtaposing Beach Boys' numbers with vintage 1960s material, woven together with recent interviews featuring Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Alan Jardine, Bruce Johnston as well as highlights from the late Carl Wilson's final interview. Performances include: "I Get Around" and "Dance Dance Dance," rare numbers cut from the original release of the legendary 1964 "T.A.M.I. Show;" Original music videos produced by the group in the late 1960s, including gems like "Good Vibrations," "Friends" and the legendary "Pet Sounds," "California Dreaming," "Still Cruising," and "Hot Fun in the Summertime;" highlights of long-unseen concerts from the Beach Boys' archives, with audio remixed from original 24 hour track masters; highlights of the group's triumphant reunion in Nashville in 1996, and much more.

My recollection is that it never aired in that time slot, never aired under that title, and I'm not even sure some of the mentioned videos (e.g. "Hot Fun in the Summertime") were aired at all (although, perhaps they all were aired during that long block of programming). I'd also say I don't recall any substantive "unseen concert" footage from their archives remixed from the original 24-track masters, although I suppose if they aired something from Knebworth 1980 that might technically count.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:55:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »

The problem isn't that BRI won't put the time or money into clearing or paying for any particular piece of footage. The whole mindset appears faulty; they (and it seems at least some of the shareholders) have little interest in helping along any archival releases. And I'm pretty sure they *have* been presented with other ideas that were never followed up on, because both management and at least some if not all of the shareholders aren't even anywhere near that train of thought.

Even with all their problems, it seems a bit unfair to knock them for all archival releases.
We've gotten quite a few good collections over the years. NOT as much as we'd all like to see/hear, but still!!  
Add in the copyright  releases( minimal effort, I know) and it's obvious they're showing some interest; better when they have to do as little as possible( for the most $$)

I'm hoping this years' Xmas time release will be supercalifragilistic!  So there....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »

Sounds like a bigger project that never got off the ground floor. Which in retrospect may be a good thing because putting the "newer" videos like anything after 1982 or so alongside the classics might have been too jarring of a juxtaposition for the fans watching 60's summertime beach flicks on AMC. And for me too, just sayin. "Hot Fun..." next to the GV firehouse film? Hell, no.  Grin   Blasphemy.

But here is a tracklist of the compilation AMC did actually show on Am Pop that summer, and this is the hour version I have on VHS. As mentioned, I think I remember seeing other hours of this where the sequencing may have been different.

1. I Get Around - The TAMI Show
2. The Girls On The Beach - from the movie
3. Dance Dance Dance - The TAMI Show
4. Little Honda - Promo film directed by Dennis
5. The Lonely Sea - from Girls On The Beach movie
6. Muscle Bustle - Dick dale and Donna Loren from movie
7. Sloop John B. - footage from “The Beach Boys In London”, filmed by Peter Whitehead
8. Good Vibrations - promo directed by Brian
9. Friends - live on TV, unknown origin
10. Friends - promo film
11. The airline commercial excerpt with Bruce at the Hammond organ
12. Good Timin’ - promo
13. Do It Again - Nashville Fan-Fest w. Brian
14. Little Honda - from Girls On The Beach movie
15. Clips from Pet Sounds documentary: includes footage edited from 6-minute original PS Promo film, re-cut to “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times”
16. Sloop John B. - Original promo featuring Derek Taylor, shot at Carl’s house
17. Pacific Ocean Blue - Dennis Wilson promo film, shot by Ed Roach

Looking at this list, I do see a handful that would need to be paid for and licensed beyond the BB's own ownership of the various promo clips like GV, Friends, etc. So maybe it is more wishful thinking than reality. I forgot how many licensed clips they actually used on AMC back then.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »

I'm not sure how readily available "Girls on the Beach" is these days, but with the TAMI DVD release and subsequent BB DVD releases, about the only thing left in that list that hasn't been officially released at one point or another is the little airline commercial bit, the "Good Timin'" promo video and the "Pacific Ocean Blue" promo film. I think everything else can be found on releases including "Endless Harmony", "Sights & Sounds of Summer", the various PS-related DVD/DVD-Audio releases, "Nashville Sounds", the Whitehead footage DVD, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:21:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

My prospective collection.  Since the Beatles did their collection based on the "1" compilation, I found a video for every song from the Sounds of Summer compilation.  And like the Beatles collection, there would be a second disc for alternate versions and rarities and so on though I haven't thought that through.

Sounds of Summer: The Beach Boys Video Collection

1.   Surfin' Safari (One Man's Challenge 1962) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOg1MxozVPc
2.   Surfin' USA (Red Skelton Show 1963) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7inoTZzW5I
3.   Fun, Fun, Fun (Steve Allen Show 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXBYDKROw0
4.   Shut Down (Lost Concert 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxXWjR6q5u4
5.   Little Deuce Coupe (Lost Concert 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6DrMkLNYKw
6.   Don't Worry Baby (American Bandstand 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-0nWVdBH4
7.   In My Room (Red Skelton Show 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-dWhYklqE
8.   Surfer Girl (TAMI Show 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB_a1gNoSYg
9.   Dance, Dance, Dance (TAMI Show 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkW4Egnk23k
10.   When I Grow Up To Be a Man (Ready Steady Go 1964) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EzEhW1VO9M
11.   Do You Wanna Dance? (Shindig 1965) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztxd92hl0g
12.   Help Me, Rhonda (The Andy Williams Show 1965) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mZ0ApTA-y4
13.   Barbara Ann (The Jack Benny Hour 1965) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654H4xfDYKM
14.   Sloop John B (Promo Film 1966) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAoEf1Ib58
15.   Good Vibrations (Promo Film 1966) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YzG9NZrI0
16.   Heroes and Villains (Sequence from Peter Clifton's Popcorn 1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltXz42OT1Vg
17.   California Girls (Kraft Music Hall 1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1UqDnY7as
18.   I Can Hear Music (Mike Douglas Show 1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCy0VKMhUs
19.   Wild Honey (Hyde Park 1972) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6m0fN-Ow0
20.   Be True to Your School (Good Vibrations Tour 1976) https://youtu.be/q41PCwZZPJQ?t=44s
21.   Rock and Roll Music (Good Vibrations Tour 1976)
22.   Darlin' (Live at Knebworth 1980) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3DUx5X8kw
23.   God Only Knows (Live at Knebworth 1980) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8qZMFFDYa0
24.   Good Timin' (Washington DC 1980) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBCMXZ4Byxc
25.   Come Go With Me (Washington DC 1984) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKqvnXPkU0
26.   Wouldn't It Be Nice (Live Aid 1985) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCm_-zvj00
27.   Getcha Back (1985 Music Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZBbZ27xlM
28.   Kokomo (1988 Music Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbqLCMVRU8o
29.   Do It Again (2012 Music Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKqMrMmj7I
30.   I Get Around (2013 Music Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbywM1PDORA

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

Thanks for that Rocky!  Great collection.  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »

I can’t argue with a DVD full of cool BB clips. But I’d MUCH rather see them do something more substantive and fresh and new. I get it, it would be targeted at more casual fans. But the band is 53 years into their history now, and fans are getting older, and they’ve already re-pitched their hits to every generation multiple times. I’m kind of done with buying discs of stuff I already own just to get a little tidbit here or there.

About 1/3 of that tracklisting is already currently commercially available on DVD (and even more is available if we count out of print releases and, as evidenced, all of it is available on YouTube).

I’d rather see a full concert or series of concerts be released. It would allow for plenty of “hits”, and also give fans something truly new. TAMI and the “Lost Concert” are great, but we already own that stuff, in some cases several times over. A lot of the 60’s TV appearances are expensive to license, and the extant source materials may not all be readily available or in good shape. I’d love to get full compilations of all their “Shindig” appearances in great quality, and of course all of their other TV appearances.

Frankly, more than a slew of old TV clips, a wide-ranging, serious, extensive documentary needs to be done on the band while the remaining principals are alive and lucid for new and in-depth interviews. That would be a much better way to then present a wide-ranging hodge podge of TV clips.

Either way, I definitely wouldn’t prefer a DVD compilation that is not only tied down by the constraints of the “Sounds of Summer” tracklisting, but also weighed down by the need to source early period TV appearances, many of which we already have.

The upcoming Beatles promo film compilation is a whole other ball of wax. They had far more “proper” promo videos/films, especially in the 60s (and even then, they’re kind of stretching to find pre-1965 stuff for the Beatles and are having to go to TV clips and creating new clips from scratch), a number of which are far more iconic, and they also have access to a ton of original videotape and film elements, and a much larger budget to get it all done. For the Beatles, the best video stuff that hasn’t been put out, apart from “Let It Be”, is those promo films.

For the Beach Boys, on the other hand, there are DECADES of live concerts to mine for much more interesting video releases. To say nothing of HOURS of studio (and live) audio material that is awaiting release.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »

Now that you mention it, I'd actually have to agree.  I'd rather see the Beach Boys come out with something like the Ramones' "It's Alive" DVD set, two discs of concert clips and TV appearances, rather than a straight greatest video hits collection.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »

This might make a good deal of money, I'm a fairly big fan and I've never seen the Beach Boys videos of those early songs, I think I've seen the swimming pool video... and I've seen some of the concert footage, and some of the 80's music videos from when I was a kid. 

They've likely got tons of other appearances where a camera was pointed at them and any of those videos would be gold, just to see Mike's hat or Al's t-shirt. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »

For the Beach Boys, on the other hand, there are DECADES of live concerts to mine for much more interesting video releases. To say nothing of HOURS of studio (and live) audio material that is awaiting release.

I agree... but I'm thinking about this.  I wonder what the atmosphere is around the band, regarding stuff like that being released?

Brian for instance (whom I love) was an early RIAA guy talking out against Napster, and in the statement about that said that he likes to release songs that he feels are finished, and doesn't want people hearing unfinished work or stuff that he feels isn't good enough.  As we all known Brian's work has been extensively bootlegged.  

Now, whatever your opinion is about that, that apparently is Brian's opinion.  I'm not talking about the merit of bootlegs or leaked material, just saying that's Brian's stated opinion.  

So sometimes I wonder if the incredible wealth of material, especially live material, isn't released simply because Brian and others involved, just don't want that stuff released because they feel it's not up to snuff, or would hurt the band, or whatever.  It could even come down to, Brian has that opinion and hired managers or people at the record label who have interpreted that opinion as meaning "Don't even talk to Brian about anything unreleased".  

They release SOME unreleased stuff, but we all known there's hundreds of hours or stuff that nobody's got.  

So my theory is, Brian doesn't want, this, this, or this, released.  He hires Bob, or Bob gets hired, and Brian tells him "No, No, and NO" on those three things... so Bob assumes, Brian doesn't want anything old released... and we end up where we are.   

Not to be Morbid, but it's time to cash in, guys.  Now or never. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:34:57 PM by Ron » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:26 AM »

A lot of people here seem to be confusing a certain distinction regarding this new Beatles dvd set, and a prospected Beach Boys dvd set. This new Beatles collection comes(mostly?) from their own promotional films that they probably own the rights and clearance to. The type of Beach Boys films we're all talking about in this thread are from television appearances, from big names like Ed Sullivan, Andy Williams, Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, etc. These are all film clips that the group doesn't own, which makes things infinitely more complicated(and expensive).

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 03:47:24 AM »

I have to say that as AGD pointed out, the cost of such a dvd/blu-ray would be enormous and the chances of a worthwhile return very small.
I understand Bruce Welch of The Shadows was trying to put together something like this for The Shadows and had to give up because of the expense involved.
To give an example from my own personal experience, i am involved in a cd project of a 1950s/60s UK act and located a short piece of film (about 50 seconds long), black and white silent. The cost of using this film with the proper clearance was basically £1000.
Try putting a DVD together factoring in that kind of basic cost. That doesn't include any payment for myself for the two or so years I spent trying to find some film of this particular artist in various worldwide archives which included dozens and dozens of hours scouring every possible UK tv guide/music paper from 1959 to 1967. I'm still working on this project and when the time comes, with the help of a handful of other enthusiasts we are gonna pay for that footage out of our own pockets. The chances of getting any of this money back is likely to be substantially less than zero and on top of that we have to pay a European radio archive for a live broadcast tape from the 60s.
As a business proposition this is clearly a non-starter.
I urge you to take a couple of minutes out to play Guess I'm Dumb for everyone who embarks on this kind of idiocy !
It's taken The Beatles 50 years to get this together (pretty pathetic in my opinion) and there are 3 (yes 3) versions of Hello Goodbye on this Fab set. That's at least 2 too many and i count myself a pretty serious Beatle-head.
It's highly doubtful that there's much that hardcore fans of the band haven't already got on bootleg dvd.
To be honest, the only way to go for this kind of set for other artists is the bootleg route. Otherwise this stuff will stay in the archives until we're all dead and no-one else is interested. Not even The Rolling Stones have produced an all-encompassing 60's TV/Promo set and they could expect pretty good sales.   
Having said all that, yes it would be great if The Beach Boys could produce a good DVD/Blu-Ray set.
I'm grateful for the copyright buster download sets they and Dylan's people have put out the last couple of years. They lead the way on that. Apple are left looking clueless as regards The Beatles audio legacy. We should all be very grateful to Mark L., Alan Boyd et al.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »

It's taken The Beatles 50 years to get this together (pretty pathetic in my opinion) and there are 3 (yes 3) versions of Hello Goodbye on this Fab set. That's at least 2 too many and i count myself a pretty serious Beatle-head.
It's highly doubtful that there's much that hardcore fans of the band haven't already got on bootleg dvd.

Not to stray off topic, but if it’s “pathetic” that the Beatles took this long to get such a set out, I can’t see how it would be disagreeable, after all this time an expense, to provide all three versions of “Hello Goodbye.” As it is, they’ve still left off some stuff and fans are predictably bellyaching about it.

Boot VHS and DVDs don’t compare to what this Blu-ray set will be. 4K scans and 2K restorations; no boot can do that. Most boot stuff is taken from VHS dubs. On rare occasions, some of the boots might only be one or two video dub generations from some old 16mm film transfer. The best-looking stuff that has been out there has been from low-generation dubs of official EPK stuff from the last few decades. 

The Beach Boys, for a million reasons, don’t really have an equivalent project in their grasp like this Beatles project. One shouldn’t be attempted. What the BBs do have is a s**t-ton of unreleased audio and video that could be presented in a myriad of formats. The BB’s have more material and more options than Apple does with the Beatles, just in terms of the sheer amount of extant material.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx