gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:22:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the Beatles' Studio Albums  (Read 14369 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »

1. Please Rut Me
2. Revolter
3. Tragical History Tour
4. Yellow Submarine Sandwich
5. Sgt. Rutter's Only Darts Club Band
6. With the Rutles
7. Let It Rut
8. The Triangular Album
9. Shabby Road
10. Hard Day's Rut
11. Rutles for Sale

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »

(MMT) - sure, but a personal fave, despite the dubious origins/is it an album definition.

I don't think think it should be included in these type of lists. Otherwise we might as well include other compilations...

...or Singles.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:31 PM »

1. Please Rut Me
2. Revolter
3. Tragical History Tour
4. Yellow Submarine Sandwich
5. Sgt. Rutter's Only Darts Club Band
6. With the Rutles
7. Let It Rut
8. The Triangular Album
9. Shabby Road
10. Hard Day's Rut
11. Rutles for Sale
You forgot my person favorite, Ouch! Although Rutter Saul is a favorite, too. And don't forget the Archeology series.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »

It kind of blows my mind that about half the voters have put Abbey Road in their top two. Maybe I'll have to listen to it some more. I never thought there to be much substance there. ("You Never Give Me Your Money" is great though.)

I think their most underrated album is Beatles For Sale. The covers are poor but the originals are awesome.

No doubt.

No Reply, I'm a Loser, Baby's in Black, I'll Follow the Sun, Eight Days a Week, and I Don't Want to Spoil the Party are great tracks. 

Indeed. I Feel Fine/She's a Woman,  the concurrent non-LP single, would make a great addition minus Mr Moonlight and one of the other covers. Every Little Thing is one of the hidden gems in the Fab Four catalog.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »

It kind of blows my mind that about half the voters have put Abbey Road in their top two. Maybe I'll have to listen to it some more. I never thought there to be much substance there. ("You Never Give Me Your Money" is great though.)

I think their most underrated album is Beatles For Sale. The covers are poor but the originals are awesome.

No doubt.

No Reply, I'm a Loser, Baby's in Black, I'll Follow the Sun, Eight Days a Week, and I Don't Want to Spoil the Party are great tracks. 

Indeed. I Feel Fine/She's a Woman,  the concurrent non-LP single, would make a great addition minus Mr Moonlight and one of the other covers. Every Little Thing is one of the hidden gems in the Fab Four catalog.
Mr. Moonlight is not one of my favorites, either, despite Lennon's exceptional lead vocal; but their takes on Rock and Roll Music, Honey Don't and Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby are outstanding.
KDS
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

No doubt.

Mr. Moonlight is not one of my favorites, either, despite Lennon's exceptional lead vocal; but their takes on Rock and Roll Music, Honey Don't and Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby are outstanding.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Mr. Moonlight.  The Beatles version of Rock and Roll Music is also my favorite, with a close second being Chuck Berry.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2015, 01:29:04 AM »

(MMT) - sure, but a personal fave, despite the dubious origins/is it an album definition.

I don't think think it should be included in these type of lists. Otherwise we might as well include other compilations...
It's a comp? I never knew. All songs are hot fresh. No addition of the previous albums' tracks. It does count as it must.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:33:08 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2015, 05:13:50 AM »

It's a comp? I never knew. All songs are hot fresh. No addition of the previous albums' tracks. It does count as it must.

It depends on who you ask.  MMT was originally a soundtrack EP with the six tracks from the MMT TV movie.  From the US release, they added Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, Baby You're a Rich Man, and All You Need is Love. 

When the Beatles catalog was put on CD for the first time, each album used the original UK LP format, except for MMT which copies the US LP version.  To Beatles fans such as myself, being born in 1980, this has been generally accepted as a full LP.  But I can understand purists who were there at the time who don't consider MMT a true full length album. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2015, 05:38:44 AM »

It depends on who you ask.  MMT was originally a soundtrack EP with the six tracks from the MMT TV movie.  From the US release, they added Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, Baby You're a Rich Man, and All You Need is Love. 

When the Beatles catalog was put on CD for the first time, each album used the original UK LP format, except for MMT which copies the US LP version.  To Beatles fans such as myself, being born in 1980, this has been generally accepted as a full LP.  But I can understand purists who were there at the time who don't consider MMT a true full length album. 
Yes, I read that but I still don't understand. To me, album is a collection of newly recorded songs. They included singles - so what? It's a common practice to include singles in the album - to boost sales or what. They charted, yes, but as standalone songs, not as tracks of the album. Thus it's totally an official Beatles long-player.
I'm sure I'm missing other points; for now  this is all I've got to say on this issue.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »

Yes, I read that but I still don't understand. To me, album is a collection of newly recorded songs. They included singles - so what? It's a common practice to include singles in the album - to boost sales or what. They charted, yes, but as standalone songs, not as tracks of the album. Thus it's totally an official Beatles long-player.
I'm sure I'm missing other points; for now  this is all I've got to say on this issue.

I do agree with you in that I consider it a true Beatles LP.  Especially since I think the five tracks fit in well with the six soundtrack songs. 

But others don't because it wasn't an LP in the UK, just an EP. 

But I would not consider it a compilation since the five tracks that were added on were not featured on any other LP that came prior. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2015, 05:47:53 AM »

The last bit is what I was trying to say (maybe it didn't come across well). It's not a compilation precisely for that reason.

KDS
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2015, 05:49:16 AM »

The last bit is what I was trying to say (maybe it didn't come across well). It's not a compilation precisely for that reason.

You got it.   Grin
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »

Yes, I read that but I still don't understand. To me, album is a collection of newly recorded songs.

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were not newly recorded. They were recorded a year before the US Magical Mystery Tour album was released and they had been released as singles before the previous album.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »

Revolver
Please Please Me
White Album
Sgt. Peppers
Rubber Soul
With The Beatles
Beatles For Sale
A Hard Days Night
Let It Be
Abbey Road
Help

* I don't count MMT or YS
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2015, 08:32:28 AM »

Yes, I read that but I still don't understand. To me, album is a collection of newly recorded songs.

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were not newly recorded. They were recorded a year before the US Magical Mystery Tour album was released and they had been released as singles before the previous album.
Correct. that was a loose definition. But the main point still stands that it's not a compilation. I don't distinguish old Beatles fans and new, it doesn't matter here. Compilation entirely consists of old songs, kind of a track per album deal. to represent different eras etc.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »

Correct. that was a loose definition. But the main point still stands that it's not a compilation. I don't distinguish old Beatles fans and new, it doesn't matter here. Compilation entirely consists of old songs, kind of a track per album deal. to represent different eras etc.

I agree - it's not a compilation. But none of the US versions of Beatles albums were compilations -- or very few of the pre-Pepper Capitol albums were -- and we don't count them.

I don't fault anyone for counting MMT - it was essentially sanctioned by The Beatles themselves when it was part of the 1987 CD collection. But I don't fault anyone for not counting it either since it wasn't issued as an LP by the band the first time around and I think it makes an interesting narrative to have The Beatles follow up Pepper with the White Album since, unlike MMT, White Album is practically the anti-Pepper.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »

1. The Beatles, 1968
2. Revolver, 1966
3. Rubber Soul, 1965
4. A Hard Day's Night, 1964

5. Abbey Road, 1969
6. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967
7. Help!, 1965

8. Let It Be, 1970
9. Beatles For Sale, 1964
10. Please Please Me, 1963
11. With The Beatles, 1963
12. Magical Mystery Tour, 1967

13. Yellow Submarine, 1969

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »

Sth. about Rubber Soul doesn't strike as above standard. Either U.K. or U.S. Many good songs, yet it lacks sth. as the album statement. Didn't catch what yet.

Bygone
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2019, 01:35:09 AM »

The golden six:

1. Abbey Road
2. "The White Album"
3. Magical Mystery Tour
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Revolver
6. Rubber Soul

The rest I find not very interesting as albums
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »

1. A Hard Day's Night
2. Rubber Soul
3. Revolver
4. Abbey Road
5. The White Album
6. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7. Let It Be
8. With The Beatles
9. Beatles For Sale
10. Help!
11. Please Please Me
12. Magical Mystery Tour

All are excellent.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx