gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:39:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Las Vegas Show  (Read 6030 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »

does anyone have the setlist?

who was his backup band?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »

Back up was the usual band with Gary Griffin depping for Darian, who's away on a year's contract with Disney. Setlist was your basic meat-and-potatoes hits.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »

dang, no rarities at all?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:31:33 AM »

It was a Vegas show. Just the hits and stuff like "SOS" & "Marcella". Got the setlist somewhere, post it when I can recall where I filed it.  Huh

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »

mm, great...

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »

Found it.

Do It Again
You're So Good to Me
Break Away
Then I Kissed Her
Hawaii
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Wendy
I Get Around
All Summer Long
Dance Dance Dance
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Drive In
Please Let Me Wonder
Add Some Music To Your Day
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
California Girls
Sail On, Sailor
Marcella
Good Vibrations (BWPS version)

1st encore
Johnny B. Goode
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

2nd encore
Love & Mercy

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

WOW!!!
Is that the setlist for real?  When did he start doing Breakaway???  awesome.

not to mention Wendy, When I Grow Up, and Then I Kissed Her?
very nice indeed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »

He's been doing Wendy for a long time now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 06:02:47 PM »

He started performing Breakaway during BWPS tour (I think).

I hope the next time (if) Brian ends up touring again that he comes close to my town.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »

Found it.

Do It Again
You're So Good to Me
Break Away
Then I Kissed Her
Hawaii
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Wendy
I Get Around
All Summer Long
Dance Dance Dance
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Drive In
Please Let Me Wonder
Add Some Music To Your Day
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
California Girls
Sail On, Sailor
Marcella

1st encore
Johnny B. Goode
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

2nd encore
Love & Mercy

This must be a mistake, Andrew! You posted Mike & Bruce's set list.

Just kidding...

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:05:24 PM »

Ugh.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 01:01:57 AM »

Brian has stated several times he's bored with Good Vibrations....so he probably is singing the SMiLE version to relieve the boredom a bit.

Shame Darian is busy with Disney though I know film score work is something he's wanted to do for some time...his hair and musical talents will be missed .
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:27:35 AM »

Wow an all Beach Boys (and mostly 1960's) setlist excepting the encore. 

dang, no rarities at all?

Maybe the problem was that if he played them, they wouldn't be rarities anymore so he stuck with the hits. 

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »

Awesome show, especially from front row center Smiley
Met most of the band (again), heard the soundcheck.  Asked Scott if they were headed to the studio
with Brian soon, to which he responded "I sure hope so!", so apparently the long-awaited
rock 'n' roll album is still to be awaited.

Also caught Mike  & Bruce the next night at Mandalay Bay, and I have to say they looked and sounded the best I've seen them since they've been out "on their own".  Awesome show, on the (man-made) beach, with tiki torches framing the stage.  Good to hear them do rarities like "Good Timin'", "It's OK", "Good To My Baby", and "Cool Head".  Seems like they went out of their way to mention Brian, Al, Carl, and Dennis, which was nice.

Craig
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 12:17:08 AM »

> Seems like they went out of their way to mention Brian, Al, Carl, and Dennis, which was nice.

I've heard Mike and Bruce mention Brian, Carl, and Dennis many times, but never Al.

What did they say about Al?

PS - How do I get sections quoted from a previous post to appear in a green box, like everyone else on this list does?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »

> Seems like they went out of their way to mention Brian, Al, Carl, and Dennis, which was nice.

I've heard Mike and Bruce mention Brian, Carl, and Dennis many times, but never Al.

What did they say about Al?

PS - How do I get sections quoted from a previous post to appear in a green box, like everyone else on this list does?

Mike was plugging the Hallmark album, and pointed out that it has a new song each from "Cousin Brian", Alan Jardine, and himself (which they then played).  I remember hearing that in '99 or so, Bruce dedicated "Surfer Girl" to Al Jardine...this was when their lawsuit was in full swing.
PS - You just hit "quote" like I just did, then space down and type your reply.  You may have to practice it a couple of times (like I did).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 10:40:54 AM »

I was going to be in Las Vegas on other business, and a few months ago I went ahead and got tickets to Ringo Starr's July 1st show at Mandalay Bay. I was a bit bummed when the BW show at the Cannery was announced later on, especially since I was also going to be seeing Ringo a week earlier in June.

I at least feel a bit better that I didn't miss any mind-blowing events at Brian's show. Plus, this year's Ringo All-Starr band is a lot better than I thought it would be, so it was still fun to see the show a second time.

The "Beach" at Mandalay Bay has to be the most idiotic concert venue I've ever seen, though. I wasn't the least bit interested in sticking around for the "Beach Boys" show the next day anyway, but even if I had been inclined, I would never see a show at that venue unless it was somebody I just had to see.

During Ringo's show, he usually does a line before singing "Yellow Submarine" where he says something like "if you don't know the words to this one, you're at the wrong gig", but at Mandalay Bay, he changed it to "if you don't know the words to this song, you're probably here for tomorrow's Beach Boys concert!"

It was also cool to see some guests at the end of the Ringo show: Dave Stewart, Jim Keltner, Jeff Lynne, etc.

I also caught the Cirque du Soleil "Love" Beatles show at the Mirage on July 3rd. The music was amazing, as was the sound system in the theater. I enjoyed the show Cirque did on stage, although I'm ultimately rather indifferent to it. It has much less of the high altitude acrobatic stuff as compared to other shows, and has more dancing and interpretive fare. I think the music is worth it to see the show, but I fear this thing might lose interest from ticket buyers well before they hit the 10-year mark that they apparently want to do with this show. If you're a Beatles fan wondering whether you should travel out to Las Vegas to see the show and pay the big ticket price, I don't know what advice to give you. They're apparently going to do a CD of the show. A DVD would make sense as well. If I knew for sure they were going to issue the audio from this show in 5.1 on a DVD-Audio or SACD or something, I would say just wait for that and don't worry if you can't make it to Vegas to see the show. But we only know for sure that a CD is upcoming. Presumably a DVD video of the show would feature the music in 5.1 as well, I suppose.

Sorry to get off topic. I still would have liked to see Brian's show. I did get to drive by the Cannery after Brian's show and saw the big "Brian Wilson" signage still lit up. I think it said something below it like "co-founder of the Beach Boys." Now, if Brian would join Ringo's All-Starr band, then I could have seen both of them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:44:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 01:17:52 PM »

He's been doing Wendy for a long time now.
Another Freudian Slip?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »

What's the set-up at the Beach?  Can you be in the wave pool while the show is on?  Are the performers at the top of the wave pool, and therefore far away, if you're sitting on the beach?  Every review I've read of any show there also mentions how bad the sound is.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »

What's the set-up at the Beach?  Can you be in the wave pool while the show is on?  Are the performers at the top of the wave pool, and therefore far away, if you're sitting on the beach?  Every review I've read of any show there also mentions how bad the sound is.

Actually, I thought the sound was fine. It actually was not very loud. But the mix was fine, and I usually enjoy outdoor shows in relatively intimate settings since the sound can breathe a bit.

My problem with the venue is that it just isn't a good place to see a concert. I can see what they are going for: People can swim and party, etc. while the show goes on. The problem is that, at least at the Ringo show, nobody really does anything but watch the show. You just end up with a bunch of people wading in pool water or sitting on the sand watching a show just as if they were at a normal concert venue. Because of this, I think it makes more sense to just put the concert in a normal concert venue. At the show, it just seemed like a concert crowd was transported from seats into water and sand. Everybody stood for the whole show, and simply faced the stage and watched the show. The whole pool/beach setting was completely superfluous. The only purpose the water and sand served was to force everybody to have to stand, and make a lot of people uncomfortable. I didn't want to be in the water or sand, and luckily there was a small bit of concrete and metal sort of grating between the pool and sand that people could sit/stand on, and that's what I did.

Apart from having to stand, I actually ended up being center stage and not too far away from the stage (the first row of people behind the pool). I ended up with a pretty good view of the show. I just found the whole setting to be nothing but an annoyance. Oh yeah, it was also extremely hot and humid. It had to be around 90 degrees give or take during the show (maybe more), and it actually rained for a short time near the end of the show. Combine heat, rain, a bunch of people in close quarters, and a pool, and you get a fairly humid situation.

I didn't have any major problems at the show. I was actually surprised how relatively smoothly it went overall. But it was still a ridiculous venue to hold a concert (at least, a concert for which $80 tickets are sold; I suppose a free show from some cover band while people swim would be harmless).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »

It'd probably work better if they had a less popular band than, oh... I dunno, a friekin' BEATLE

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 06:26:59 PM »

So I take it the wave action wasn't working while the show is on?  That's probably why the grating was there, because that sounds like the intake part when the waves are going at that pool.  It's a lot of fun, but you can really get tossed around when it's working, so I can see why they turn it off during the show.  You could also really get hurt if you're not paying attention.  So, if I ever go to a show there, I'm taking a suit and jumping right in.  It's too hot there in the summer to do otherwise.   I would think you could get closer that way, too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 06:57:05 AM »

I remember hearing that in '99 or so, Bruce dedicated "Surfer Girl" to Al Jardine...this was when their lawsuit was in full swing.

I heard that it was Mike who dedicated it to Al....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 10:33:47 AM »

That seems like a hidden insult.. isn't it usually dedicated to all the girls in the audience? Basically they're comparing Al to a gaggle of girls.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 11:17:03 AM »

captain obvious strikes again Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx