gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:19:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys studio banter that absolutely mystifies you  (Read 5293 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »

"Little Surfer Girl" came up on random yesterday. At the start, Brian says...

"On the playback, Bob, I want piano and bass!"

So bossy! Did a young Brian Wilson expect Bob to just make bass and piano tracks appear via magic when Brian heard it back after doing the vocal? what is it

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »

inb4 Brian asking for a horse, the intent is clear, DON'T BE A DOOFUS

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »

So bossy! Did a young Brian Wilson expect Bob to just make bass and piano tracks appear via magic when Brian heard it back after doing the vocal? what is it

I believe the story is that this snippet was found on one track of a multitrack that had been recorded over,.  I've always interpreted this to mean that Brian wanted to hear the piano and bass, which were being recorded on another track (now sadly lost to erasure), in his headphones while the organ, drum, and vocal were being recorded on this track.  

By the way, according to Vickie Kocher, the correct title for this song is "Teach Me to Surf," and it was intended as a duet between Bob Norberg and Vickie.  Vickie (now known as Victoria Hale) remembers the complete melody and lyrics, and has sung them to me.

Lee
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:19:46 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »

Hey, runnersdialzero ,you have got to get a new avatar because that one is really annoying.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »

Hey, runnersdialzero ,you have got to get a new avatar because that one is really annoying.

Isn't that the whole point?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »

I believe the story is that this snippet was found on one track of a multitrack that had been recorded over,.  I've always interpreted this to mean that Brian wanted to hear the piano and bass, which were being recorded on another track (now sadly lost to erasure), in his headphones while the organ, drum, and vocal were being recorded on this track.  

I knew it was all that exists of the song (unfortunately), but didn't know this was how it was found. Thanks for the info!

By the way, according to Vickie Kocher, the correct title for this song is "Teach Me to Surf," and it was intended as a duet between Bob Norberg and Vickie.  Vickie (now known as Victoria Hale) remembers the complete melody and lyrics, and has sung them to me.

Oh jeez. Assuming she hasn't already done so, if you ever get a chance to talk to her again, please suggest she get in contact with the Beach Boys camp and sing the song as she remembers it for preservation's sake. She may very well be the only person who remembers the song at all.

... only if she wants to, obviously, it'd just be a shame for something like this to be totally lost forever.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:51:54 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »

Disagree x 2

Hello Kitty kicks ass.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:53:24 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »

Not if it ran into My Little Pony
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »

Not if it ran into My Little Pony

LOL
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »

Always liked that little demo myself. Brian had good studio banter, simple and you hear this best in the Pet Sound sessions.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »

COMMENT:  As Executive Producer, Brian may demand all he wishes.  

If you want to hear some studio banter by Brian, check out the study-video of God Only Knows.  Therein you will be able to hear all the going's on between Brian and his hired studio musicians. You will hear how he constructs his track for this song, even if the musicians have little idea what the final arrangement will produce.  Go to >>>  http://swdstudyvideos.com
~swd
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:16:17 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »

Lee

Are the melody/lyrics documented anywhere? That is, does she have a physical copy of the words or, perhaps, a home recording of herself singing the tune? I'd hate for this little gem to completely fall through the cracks if it doesn't have to.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:20 PM »

The lyrics were published in the Spring 2011 issue of Endless Summer Quarterly, in my interview with Victoria.  Victoria has a friend that is a musical arranger, and she was going to have him transcribe it to sheet music.  But I also have the melody saved on a voice mail message from her.

Lee
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:28:48 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »

The 20 minute version of Bull Session with Big Daddy is bananas

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »

I'll throw my hat into the irrelevant bs ring and say "nah." Runners' avatar is legend. Glad to see you back rdz.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »

How about Murry talking to Carl during the Warmth of the Sun sessions, "Carl sit up and play, your laying down!" Must have a been a late night session going from Fun, Fun, Fun into that session. I can just picture a young Carl, almost sleeping playing his guitar on his back  Cheesy

Or how about the banter between Mike and Brian during the In the Parkin' Lot sessions, Mike: "That's Our new album cover, Four on the Floor by The Beach Boys!" Brian: "It's got possibilities, write down, write it down."

Here's a great one. During the I'm So Young Sessions, Brian playing the Organ, Brian: "F*ck,I turned the Organ off!" "F*ck!" Dennis: " How'd you Do That?" Brian Laughs Hysterically " Jesus F*ckin Cr*st!" Or from the same session, Brian: " Alright let's make it, One, Two, Three, Where Ya Goin"? Carl: " I better Go To The Bathroom, Brian!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:34:40 AM »

'All Summer Long' instrumental sessions. At one point, like 30 takes in or so, Dennis(?) mumbles irritably "G**dammit I hate this song" LOL

Also, not sure if it qualifies as studio banter, but I'll always be mystified by that 'I'll Bet He's Nice' demo. When Mike hears that middle-eight he gets excited by what Brian created...I love that moment.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »

'All Summer Long' instrumental sessions. At one point, like 30 takes in or so, Dennis(?) mumbles irritably "G**dammit I hate this song" LOL

Also, not sure if it qualifies as studio banter, but I'll always be mystified by that 'I'll Bet He's Nice' demo. When Mike hears that middle-eight he gets excited by what Brian created...I love that moment.

That circa 1976 Brian demo session is probably the most unfettered, genuine, non-underlying-ego-issues portrayal I've ever heard or seen of Mike's opinion of Brian's writing. No qualifications, no attempt to add lyrics, no "it's great, but....." Just Mike genuinely enjoying and being impressed (some would suggest awed) by Brian's writing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »

"You said Childless to me...you said Childless is Father of the Man"

"Come on Dad"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »

That circa 1976 Brian demo session is probably the most unfettered, genuine, non-underlying-ego-issues portrayal I've ever heard or seen of Mike's opinion of Brian's writing. No qualifications, no attempt to add lyrics, no "it's great, but....." Just Mike genuinely enjoying and being impressed (some would suggest awed) by Brian's writing.

It's such a great moment, you just feel the excitement the guys are feeling. I really hope those demos are officially released in good quality one of these years.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »

"that tune is a mother-----er" - classic Mike Love.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx