gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:40:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I used to steer clear of the later stuff  (Read 11091 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »

With the exception of the vapid crooning and inane lyrics of DOTO, TWGMTR would seem to be a natural fit for any BB collection if only for the last three tracks.

"Daybreak" isn't even the worst song on the album.

Yeah it's a pretty rotten song but it's still better than
Spring Vacation
Private Life of Bill & Sue
Beaches in Mind
and (shudder) Shelter.

Well, then shudder away. PLOBAS and Shelter are two fine songs that never get the "skip" option.  BIM and SV are passable but DOTO is a total misfit. If anything, it would fit far better on any of myKe's wonderful Shocked solo outings.
HMMMM....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DBM4WX_no

I'd say that recording was a solid attempt at Yacht Rock if the yacht were an abandoned one-man canoe stuck on a rock in a local stream during a drought.

LOL LOL LOL LOL w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »

Daybreak Over the Ocean has actually grown on me over the years. 

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »

I would eventually convince myself that the stuff was good, and be one of those annoying superfans who can't have a conversation about the band with a normal person because you've abandoned all critical discrimination.

Do these people actually exist, though, in BB fandom?  From what I've seen on forums, folk seem to have a pretty clear-headed view of the later years, accepting that there's a long, slow decline, but some worthwhile tunes to be found here and there.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that, Fire Wind.  I lurked here for several years before joining and chiming in, and it was pretty clear to me that the Boys' later output is king here.  As for that output, I've tried countless times to appreciate (and sometimes even make it through a full listen) to their later material.  Holland is the last album I can stand listening to-- and even that one makes me cringe.  At this point I feel it safe to pronounce that I will never, ever, ever grow to like Love You.  

All this said, there are some parts on Still Cruisin' that blow me away, such as Carl's parts on Somewhere Near Japan and the intro to Island Girls.  So yes, I'm pretty open-minded.  I've honestly tried to like their later stuff, but it hasn't happened yet.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »

I would eventually convince myself that the stuff was good, and be one of those annoying superfans who can't have a conversation about the band with a normal person because you've abandoned all critical discrimination.

Do these people actually exist, though, in BB fandom?  From what I've seen on forums, folk seem to have a pretty clear-headed view of the later years, accepting that there's a long, slow decline, but some worthwhile tunes to be found here and there.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that, Fire Wind.  I lurked here for several years before joining and chiming in, and it was pretty clear to me that the Boys' later output is king here.  As for that output, I've tried countless times to appreciate (and sometimes even make it through a full listen) to their later material.  Holland is the last album I can stand listening to-- and even that one makes me cringe.  At this point I feel it safe to pronounce that I will never, ever, ever grow to like Love You.  

All this said, there are some parts on Still Cruisin' that blow me away, such as Carl's parts on Somewhere Near Japan and the intro to Island Girls.  So yes, I'm pretty open-minded.  I've honestly tried to like their later stuff, but it hasn't happened yet.

I can't help but agree about the Love You album.  I think it has some nice moments, and is an improvement over 15 Big Ones (for what its worth), but I can't go all in on that album. 

I like Still Cruisin a lot too.  But, there's really no Beach Boys between Holland and TWGMTR that I listen too on a regular basis. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx