-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Fall TV
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fall TV  (Read 19395 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »

I think comedy in general is really dependent on language and cultural experience

That's true--and maybe even more cultural experience / reference than language: one can learn a language, but to understand double entendre, certain kinds of wordplay, or just references, that's tough to catch in a foreign culture. Not that there's no comedy that crosses cultural lines, but generally, the more similar the culture, the more likely the comedy is to work. And the Simpsons is SO, SO loaded with cultural references, I'd think it would be among the harder examples to really "get."

On a similar line of thinking, I recall Stephen Merchant discussing the licensing of The Office franchise across different countries. He said something along the lines that, other than the most basic part of the premise, he and Gervais just left the native writers to themselves, knowing that they (Merchant and Gervais) were unlikely to be as funny to those audiences as their own native writers.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »

I think comedy in general is really dependent on language and cultural experience

That's true--and maybe even more cultural experience / reference than language: one can learn a language, but to understand double entendre, certain kinds of wordplay, or just references, that's tough to catch in a foreign culture. Not that there's no comedy that crosses cultural lines, but generally, the more similar the culture, the more likely the comedy is to work. And the Simpsons is SO, SO loaded with cultural references, I'd think it would be among the harder examples to really "get."

On a similar line of thinking, I recall Stephen Merchant discussing the licensing of The Office franchise across different countries. He said something along the lines that, other than the most basic part of the premise, he and Gervais just left the native writers to themselves, knowing that they (Merchant and Gervais) were unlikely to be as funny to those audiences as their own native writers.

In my mind, I was lumping wordplay and the like into language differences, but I totally agree with you, culture is the driving force in most comedy. I like that story about Gervais and Merchant, and that says a lot about their sensibilities. I'm a big fan of theirs though. Of course, the show runner for the American office was Greg Daniels, who had previously been the runner for King of the Hill and was a writer/producer for The Simpsons during their prime, and it's another show that ran a few seasons too long, so this has been a full circle conversation  Cheesy
KDS
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2015, 05:16:41 AM »

Summer of 4ft 2 is one of my top ten Simpsons also. 

Last night was, IMO, one of the best Simpsons in years.  They actually did a non Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode (and of course they referenced that in typical Simpsons fashion). 

Without giving too much away, they did a nice send up on pop up seasonal stores, PC Halloween costume alterations, and "adult Halloween" (even if Robot Chicken beat them to the punch on that one). 

Amanda,

I was a huge fan of The Office, but you're right, it was on too long.  Seasons 1-6 are brilliant.  I recently received the final season on DVD to complete by Office collection, and it was a bit of a chore to get through some of those shows. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:30 AM »

I was a huge fan of The Office, but you're right, it was on too long.  Seasons 1-6 are brilliant.  I recently received the final season on DVD to complete by Office collection, and it was a bit of a chore to get through some of those shows. 

I thought the last season was okay, at least much better than the season before it, the one with James Spader.  That was awful.  I thought I would stop watching for good after that but I was willing to give it another shot when I heard Greg Daniels was coming back for the last season.  But I thought they did a good job wrapping up in the last few episodes.  The finale was really well done.

KDS
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2015, 07:01:38 AM »

I thought the last season was okay, at least much better than the season before it, the one with James Spader.  That was awful.  I thought I would stop watching for good after that but I was willing to give it another shot when I heard Greg Daniels was coming back for the last season.  But I thought they did a good job wrapping up in the last few episodes.  The finale was really well done.

I did like the finale.  But, am I the only one who thought Steve Carrell kinda sleepwalked through it?  Just didn't seem like Michael Scott to me.  And it would've been cool for him to be included in the post party Dunder Mifflin folks had at the office. 

I have to admit that Ed Helms's line "I wish there was a way to know you're in the gold old days when you in them" got to me. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »

I agree that the last season was better than the one before it, that second to last one was roooough. I really could have done without all the set up to the Schrute Farms spin off too, and thankfully we were spared from that train wreck.To me, Jim and Pam's wedding should have been the end.
KDS
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 07:58:39 AM »

I agree that the last season was better than the one before it, that second to last one was roooough. I really could have done without all the set up to the Schrute Farms spin off too, and thankfully we were spared from that train wreck.To me, Jim and Pam's wedding should have been the end.

Yeah, Jim and Pam's wedding would've been a great end. 

And I second your thoughts on Schrute Farm.  Much like the proposed How I Met Your Father, the network made the right choice to pull the plug. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »

To Gervais and Merchant fans - am I the only one who thinks Hello Ladies the TV-Show was achingly funny? The movie was terrible, though.
KDS
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »

Kinda got off topic with The Office.

But here's a reviewer who agrees with me that last night's episode was the best Simpsons in years:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/its-scary-outstanding-simpsons-halloween-episodeno-227031
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

To Gervais and Merchant fans - am I the only one who thinks Hello Ladies the TV-Show was achingly funny? The movie was terrible, though.

Haven't watched it yet, but I definitely want to.

To follow KDS' lead and bring it back to topic, my favorite show on TV right now is Nathan For You - so funny.
KDS
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »

So, two episodes into American Horror Story - Motel.  And so far, I like it a lot more than I thought I would (although the first four episodes of Freak Show were great, then the wheels fell off).  Still not really into Lady Gaga, but luckily, her part isn't that big in the first two shows. 

Anyone else watching?
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »

Dec. 10th!    Cheesy
http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Earworm_Reverberation

(I like that song, too.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:39:33 PM by Sandy Baby » Logged

Listen, listen, listen...
KDS
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »

I'm not a regular view of BBT.  I catch episodes now and then on reruns, but I might try to watch this one On Demand. 
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »

Winter tv, now (a good series) --
http://www.cnn.com/shows/the-sixties

Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »

A good interview --
http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60665244

(Glad to hear George telling his side of things; I hope he continues to make films.)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: