-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Fall TV
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fall TV  (Read 19396 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:24 AM »

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Bob's Burgers both came back pretty strong.

I've tried watching Bob's Burgers in the past, its not my cup of tea. 

As for B99, I'm just not a fan of Andy Sandberg.  Although, I'm glad that Bill Hader got himself a regular gig since he seemed to struggle post SNL. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:16 AM »

I watched the season premieres of two Sunday mainstays on FOX last night - The Simpsons and Family Guy. 

The Simpsons had its moments, but overall, I thought it was pretty weak.  I hate to jump on that ever growing "Simpsons should be cancelled" bandwagon.  But 27 seasons in, it's hard to keep a show fresh and funny after almost 600 episodes. 

Family Guy had one of its better episodes in a while.  I'd heard rumors that this would be the final season so that Seth McFarlane would concentrate on movies, but thus far, have seen no evidence that this is the case. 

The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park all go back to the 1990s (I know The Simpsons premiered in December 1989, but that was a Xmas special.  It began as a series in January 1990), and while they can still be funny and better than most TV comedy IMO, I think the creators might want to consider moving on. 

The Simpsons has been weak for years now. Don't get me wrong, there are isolated moments of hilarity in every episode but storyline wise the well ran dry a good decade ago. And yet Futurama gets canned again!

Last weeks episode of South Park was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »

I watched the season premieres of two Sunday mainstays on FOX last night - The Simpsons and Family Guy. 

The Simpsons had its moments, but overall, I thought it was pretty weak.  I hate to jump on that ever growing "Simpsons should be cancelled" bandwagon.  But 27 seasons in, it's hard to keep a show fresh and funny after almost 600 episodes. 

Family Guy had one of its better episodes in a while.  I'd heard rumors that this would be the final season so that Seth McFarlane would concentrate on movies, but thus far, have seen no evidence that this is the case. 

The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park all go back to the 1990s (I know The Simpsons premiered in December 1989, but that was a Xmas special.  It began as a series in January 1990), and while they can still be funny and better than most TV comedy IMO, I think the creators might want to consider moving on. 

The Simpsons has been weak for years now. Don't get me wrong, there are isolated moments of hilarity in every episode but storyline wise the well ran dry a good decade ago. And yet Futurama gets canned again!

Last weeks episode of South Park was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

The Simpsons isn't what it used to be.  Over the past decade, it's been good enough to keep my attention.  But, nothing like it was in the past. 

I do like the new season of South Park so far. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:10:14 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
KDS
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »

Hi all,

The Big Bang Theory, Life In Pieces, Scorpion and Castle were excellent last night.  Life In Pieces is the new show. 

Didn't see any of those, but I watched the premiere of Season 2 of Gotham.  I thought the first season was a little uneven, but I liked the episode last night. 

Gotham's second episode was, IMO, the best episode of the entire series by far.  For a show that I almost gave up on at least three times last year, I'm pretty optimistic about the future.  For the first time since I started watching the show last fall, I'm genuinely looking forward to the next episode. 

Also on FOX, season 3 of Sleepy Hollow premieres on Thursday Night.  After a difficult second half that saw a drop in ratings, the show got a new showrunner.  I'm interested to see what the new blood brings. 
KDS
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 07:55:40 AM »

I've enjoyed all of American Horror Story so far but have reservations about Season 5 mainly down to no Jessica Lange and casting Lady Gaga in a main role.
Season 6 of The Walking Dead cannot come fast enough for me. I don't have the channel that screens the spin off show but from what I've read I'm not missing much.
Anyone excited for Ash Vs The Evil Dead? 

Now, that we're in October, Sleepy Hollow, AHS, & TWD are all back. 

I like Sleepy Hollow so far, but I'm not sure if the show will ever been a good or as focuses as it was in Season 1. 

AHS - Motel.  I thought the first episode was just OK.  Which is actually better than I expected.  Once again, AHS goes more for shock / taboo than horror / terror.  To me, Murder House was by far the best season.  I think the first episode of Motel kept me just interested enough to check out the second episode.  But, my hopes are not high. 

TWD - Season Six kicked the doors in for the season premiere.  Amazing show.  Can't wait for the next one.   
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »

The Simpsons isn't what it used to be.  Over the past decade, it's been good enough to keep my attention.  But, nothing like it was in the past. 

Writing.  All any show needs is good writers.  But... there's a lot of "hangers on" in anything that's successful.  That is, if you create something successful, like the Simpsons, they'll come out of the wood-work and take it over.  Overtime, it'll be used as a vehicle to proselytize an agenda.

I think the reason South Park continues to be awesome is it's a one-man show.  Or two-man show.  They bring in folks to help flesh out ideas etc.  But it's a truly creative endeavor.  It's a truth about creativity, that it's likely a dictatorship.  Most creative people work best alone -- and if they're interested, they'll create forever.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

The season premiere of Fargo was fantastic.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »

Writing.  All any show needs is good writers.  But... there's a lot of "hangers on" in anything that's successful.  That is, if you create something successful, like the Simpsons, they'll come out of the wood-work and take it over.  Overtime, it'll be used as a vehicle to proselytize an agenda.

I think the reason South Park continues to be awesome is it's a one-man show.  Or two-man show.  They bring in folks to help flesh out ideas etc.  But it's a truly creative endeavor.  It's a truth about creativity, that it's likely a dictatorship.  Most creative people work best alone -- and if they're interested, they'll create forever.

I agree with Bean Bag. I'd add to it that, as something becomes uber-successful, the corporate influence becomes inescapable. (I mean this more broadly than the Simpsons; I mean it in genera.) "The suits" care, because they know where their bread is buttered. There is pressure to add Character X to appeal to Demographic Z. There is pressure to change this or that line because it could offend Sponsor A. No show on television is free of that kind of influence: whatever artistic merits some have, TV shows exist so advertisers can speak to viewers, and the programming is an intermittently dangled carrot. But the more successful, in some cases the worse off the artistic side is. Conversely, a strong creator of a popular show also may have the muscle to push back. So it's not an every-case kind of thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »

The Simpsons had its moments, but overall, I thought it was pretty weak.  I hate to jump on that ever growing "Simpsons should be cancelled" bandwagon.  But 27 seasons in, it's hard to keep a show fresh and funny after almost 600 episodes.  

Family Guy had one of its better episodes in a while.  I'd heard rumors that this would be the final season so that Seth McFarlane would concentrate on movies, but thus far, have seen no evidence that this is the case.  

The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park all go back to the 1990s (I know The Simpsons premiered in December 1989, but that was a Xmas special.  It began as a series in January 1990), and while they can still be funny and better than most TV comedy IMO, I think the creators might want to consider moving on.  

The Simpsons isn't what it used to be.  Over the past decade, it's been good enough to keep my attention.  But, nothing like it was in the past.  

Writing.  All any show needs is good writers.  But... there's a lot of "hangers on" in anything that's successful.  That is, if you create something successful, like the Simpsons, they'll come out of the wood-work and take it over.  Overtime, it'll be used as a vehicle to proselytize an agenda.

I think the reason South Park continues to be awesome is it's a one-man show.  Or two-man show.  They bring in folks to help flesh out ideas etc.  But it's a truly creative endeavor.  It's a truth about creativity, that it's likely a dictatorship.  Most creative people work best alone -- and if they're interested, they'll create forever.

I agree with Bean Bag. I'd add to it that, as something becomes uber-successful, the corporate influence becomes inescapable. (I mean this more broadly than the Simpsons; I mean it in genera.) "The suits" care, because they know where their bread is buttered. There is pressure to add Character X to appeal to Demographic Z. There is pressure to change this or that line because it could offend Sponsor A. No show on television is free of that kind of influence: whatever artistic merits some have, TV shows exist so advertisers can speak to viewers, and the programming is an intermittently dangled carrot. But the more successful, in some cases the worse off the artistic side is. Conversely, a strong creator of a popular show also may have the muscle to push back. So it's not an every-case kind of thing.

You should have stopped with "I agree with Bean Bag."  It has a nice ring to it!   Razz

There's no question that advertisers are having to themselves get creative with how they reach eyeballs -- but I'm not sure to what degree corporate interests affect the quality of content all that much.  Then again... I don't watch much TV.  I know, for example, I can't watch anything with a lot of commercials.  So, you could be right.

I was referring more to "social engineering" disguised as entertainment.  A thinly veiled morality play, to create a perception of public of opinion.  Nothing new.  Anything that reaches eyeballs will attract these types -- who cannot otherwise interest people.  But their inflated ambitions eventually tip the ratio away from entertainment and more towards "preachy."  In the case of the Simpsons, it destroyed it.  Eventually, talent realizes it doesn't need to be there.  TV, films -- you name it.  The NFL is next.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:50:37 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »

The Simpsons isn't preachy, there is no moral message to it at all. Any social commentary the show once had has been lost to a barrage of visual gags and celeb cameos.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »

The Simpsons isn't preachy, there is no moral message to it at all. Any social commentary the show once had has been lost to a barrage of visual gags and celeb cameos.

I never really thought the Simpsons tackled social commentary.  In the past, it took so long to put an episode together, that it was pointless to try to be topical.  It's just a very well written comedy. 

Maybe not as well written as in the past, but still good. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »

In 2005, Nancy Cartwright spoke at my college. She specifically pointed to Brother's Little Helper (Season 11, Episode 2 - where Bart is misdiagnosed with ADD and prescribed meds), as a turning point in the series that she was very proud of because she felt that since then they really started tackling important social issues. My husband and I walked away from that saying that was probably the turning point that started to turn us off.

Looking back on the series as a whole, and I think this is the consensus among fans, The Principal and The Pauper (Season 9, Episode 2, Principal Skinner is an impostor) was the real tipping point, if you're looking for a single episode to cast blame on. After that episode, there was no more established reality in the show - any character could be anything to suit a plot or even a single gag, Springfield started to take on wildly varying characteristics and no one seemed to care about consistency across any elements of the show. With a show on the air for many years, it obviously going to get really difficult to maintain the same boundaries, but starting around season nine that step away from their established realities really started to hurt the quality of the episodes. IMO, one of the things that really made The Simpson's great was Homer's Every Man-ness. When the plots started to take him away from being some dopey, middle class guy who got lucky with a good job right out of high school, that's when things really started going off the rails.

I could wax rhapsodic about The Simpsons all day, though. Nearly every episode from seasons two through seven are perfect - packed with jokes, great A and B story lines, no wasted moments. Before Every Simpsons Ever started last summer, my husband and I ranked every episode from the first nine seasons. Partly for fun for us, and partly because his comedy partners aren't Simpsons fans (they're parents wouldn't let them watch it when they were kids and then they never got into it later)  and we wanted to convert them. It sparked some great debate, but I did cede the number one spot to his favorite. It's really amazing when you see them all listed and easily can consider 75 episodes from a single series all great.
KDS
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:52 AM »

In 2005, Nancy Cartwright spoke at my college. She specifically pointed to Brother's Little Helper (Season 11, Episode 2 - where Bart is misdiagnosed with ADD and prescribed meds), as a turning point in the series that she was very proud of because she felt that since then they really started tackling important social issues. My husband and I walked away from that saying that was probably the turning point that started to turn us off.

Looking back on the series as a whole, and I think this is the consensus among fans, The Principal and The Pauper (Season 9, Episode 2, Principal Skinner is an impostor) was the real tipping point, if you're looking for a single episode to cast blame on. After that episode, there was no more established reality in the show - any character could be anything to suit a plot or even a single gag, Springfield started to take on wildly varying characteristics and no one seemed to care about consistency across any elements of the show. With a show on the air for many years, it obviously going to get really difficult to maintain the same boundaries, but starting around season nine that step away from their established realities really started to hurt the quality of the episodes. IMO, one of the things that really made The Simpson's great was Homer's Every Man-ness. When the plots started to take him away from being some dopey, middle class guy who got lucky with a good job right out of high school, that's when things really started going off the rails.

I could wax rhapsodic about The Simpsons all day, though. Nearly every episode from seasons two through seven are perfect - packed with jokes, great A and B story lines, no wasted moments. Before Every Simpsons Ever started last summer, my husband and I ranked every episode from the first nine seasons. Partly for fun for us, and partly because his comedy partners aren't Simpsons fans (they're parents wouldn't let them watch it when they were kids and then they never got into it later)  and we wanted to convert them. It sparked some great debate, but I did cede the number one spot to his favorite. It's really amazing when you see them all listed and easily can consider 75 episodes from a single series all great.

Huge Simpsons fan since the Xmas special aired back in December 1989.  Just curious as to what your favorite episode would be.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »

I agree Amanda.  I don't know how people could miss the Simpsons head-first dive into "social commentary."  About as obvious as you could get.  I mean, they weren't even trying to hide behind the pretense of entertainment in many cases.  I saw it as a gross and brazen abuse of people's devotion to the program.  I needed a shower after a few of those episodes!   Cheesy

There was nearly an entire season (16 perhaps?) devoted entirely to nothing but "issues" -- political issues, one after another.  One-sided as I've ever seen.  There were some episodes where the comedy writers clearly weren't even present.  With so much of TV/entertainment being used as a platform for social engineering, I'm used to these sort of shenanigans.  But I do expect to be served SOME laughs in the process.

I agree with Mike's Beard too though -- lately, it's been mindless gags.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »

I still piss myself at everything Krusty says and does.

KDS
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »

I agree Amanda.  I don't know how people could miss the Simpsons head-first dive into "social commentary."  About as obvious as you could get.  I mean, they weren't even trying to hide behind the pretense of entertainment in many cases.  I saw it as a gross and brazen abuse of people's devotion to the program.  I needed a shower after a few of those episodes!   Cheesy

There was nearly an entire season (16 perhaps?) devoted entirely to nothing but "issues" -- political issues, one after another.  One-sided as I've ever seen.  There were some episodes where the comedy writers clearly weren't even present.  With so much of TV/entertainment being used as a platform for social engineering, I'm used to these sort of shenanigans.  But I do expect to be served SOME laughs in the process.

I agree with Mike's Beard too though -- lately, it's been mindless gags.

The only episode that comes to mind that really got preachy to me was in 2003 or so, right after the US/Iraq War started.  There was an episode of with two rival scout groups.  And the episode ended with them patching up their differences and singing an anthem.  As the Sea Capt (I think) pointed out, "Not a hymn to war like our National Anthem.  But a hymn to peace the National Anthem of Canada."  Then, Bart made a comment before the credits about war only solves US problems, or something to that effect.  That's really the only time The Simpsons ever turned me off.  I think, for the most part, they go for both sides of the fence, so I let it go.  

Mr. Bag, you and Mike are right about the show being a lot of gags now.  I still find the show highly entertaining, but the episodes aren't nearly as memorable as the first decade they were on the air.  (Sounds like the Beach Boys catalog).  
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »

Huge Simpsons fan since the Xmas special aired back in December 1989.  Just curious as to what your favorite episode would be.

I was 3 in 1989, so my love for the show really developed in syndication in the mid '90s. Middle school me would get home from school and watch Kids In The Hall on Comedy Central, do my homework in time to catch the hour of Simpson on our Fox affiliate at 5:00.

My favorite episode is A Streetcar Named Marge. It's so perfect - not a single wasted second, and it's a great mix of absurdity and a really grounded, relationship-oriented story. The idea of some local theatre doing a musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire is so funny, and then the songs! Those songs get me every time. Jon Lovitz is great in it and it's dumb, but every single time I see it and he tells Marge to put Maggie in his sister's daycare and this sister is just him with a bun and a higher voice, I have to laugh. The story though is really where it's at; watching Marge try to break out of her routine and how the rest of the family reacts to it.

Cape Feare finished number 1 on our list, which I have no qualms about at all. A great example of the show at it's peak. I realize my love for A Steetcar Named Marge probably has more to do with my reaction to it as a young, married woman than maybe it should be ranked on it's own merits, so I didn't fight for that top spot for it.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

It's fat homer for me!!  Flawless.  The entire episode I know by heart.  "They'll be plenty of time for the frozen pudding wagon later!" C. Montgomery Burns.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »

I still piss myself at everything Krusty says and does.

"If this is anybody other than Steve Allen, you're stealing my bit."  Krusty The Clown.

KDS
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

Cape Feare is a great choice.  You really can't go wrong with any episode from the 1990s IMO. 

I'd have to go with Mr. Plow.  It has maybe my all time favorite Homer moment, when he buys the plow and tells Marge, "Fine!!  I'll never do another stupid thing again."  And proceeds to walk right into the open door of the plow. 

Maybe the B-Sharps episode.  I love Bart's Comet also.  I can't recall the title of the episode, but when Homer decides to give up church to stay home and watch TV is a classic too. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

Mr. Plow finished 6 on our list. A top notch episode for sure.

Bean Bag - King Size Homer - another great one. When we showed our top 15 for our friends over a few weekends, it was one guys favorite too.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »

My cousin absolutely loves Simpsons. I'm a village citizen, i.e. we have 4 basic channels. When I 1st visited city at 11 to live with aunt's fam, I totally liked the fact there is a channel consisting of cartoons. Nicolodeon (sp?) or sth. That was like most favorite thing about city life. But one cartoon I didn't like at all was Simpsons. Whenever my cousin forced me to watch it, I was like shrugging "What's  the big deal?". But she always said it had great storylines & great humor. I didn't know English at the time so I didn't pay attention to English voices, I heard Russian speech. I thought it's sth. to do with some phrases having no analog in Russian. But later when I checked some bits they actually had accurate translation, meaning humor could translate too. Even voices were identical. That was  good write-up, Amanda but I'm not sure if seeing these episodes might help. I jus' don't get the phenomenon of this show.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »

I think comedy in general is really dependent on language and cultural experience, so I totally buy someone from rural Russia not enjoying the same comedy someone from the Midwestern U.S does. A Streetcar Named Marge might play for you because of the story, but a lot of the comedy might not work. Maybe check out The Last Temptation of Homer. The A story is about Homer dealing with sexual tension at work and the minor B story has some good laughs at Bart's growing pains.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »

Ooh are we naming our favorite Simpsons episodes?  Well there's the hilarious meta commentary of "The Itchy, Scratchy & Poochie Show", the late Phil Hartman's performance in "A Fish Called Selma", the heartwarming nature of "Lisa's Substitute" and "And Maggie Makes Three".  Also "Marge vs. the Monorail", "Last Exit to Springfield", the two-part "Who Shot Mr. Burns?", "Summer of 4 ft. 2", "Bart the Lover", "Homer's Enemy"... there are definitely so many more that I can't think of at the moment.  After two and a half decades, it's lost its spark and its charm but put those first nine or ten seasons against any season of any other animated series and there's really no contest.  The sharp clever writing, the great character designs, the top-notch voice acting, there's just no beating it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: