gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:44:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview Part 1 of 2  (Read 6998 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »

I believe Ken Sharp did the 2000 “Goldmine” interview with Al (I think it was technically an interview Sharp did that was shopped to a few venues; I think “Record Collector” published a different edit of the interview). Sharp asked a lot of pertinent questions, and actually got into the then-current kerfuffle between Al and Mike. While it may have just partially been an interview technique of being sympathetic to the interview subject, Sharp’s questions about things like the cheerleaders/Mr. T and all of that seemed to imply Sharp agreed that the touring band became kind of a spectacle in the 80s/90s.

If the two parts of this Mike interview are of similar lengths, then the main bummer would be that Sharp didn’t get more time with Mike to do an even longer interview.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »

Lovely interview! It's always great to read/hear Mike's thoughts on some of the deeper cuts. He likes 'Til I Die and has named Wild Honey one of his favorite BB records in another interview. Guy has pretty good taste for someone who has a lengthy history of penning stuff like the lyrics to Summer of Love. Really enjoyed the more personal stuff here, like his recollections of having been interested in poetry from an early age on. Like him or not, he's a very interesting guy and in many ways he's hard to pigeonhole.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »

Nice interview. 
What do you suppose this means? 
>>In fact, Michael Lloyd who is producing this Christmas single for us and who is in Southern California while we’re in a studio in Somerville, Massachusetts... <<

Maybe Mikes doing a 'Pisces Brothers' follow up?

'Capricorn Cousins'  LOL
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »

Aquarius Amigos
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

For Christmas? Capricorn all the way!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »

You're right of course but I'm hoping for the full concept album!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

It appears the guys are in a kind of weird sort of state in terms of relations. There aren’t any lawsuits flying, but I think there are definitely still some politics at play. But it doesn’t *feel* like they’re in a place in terms of relations where Mike would ask Brian and Al to sing on a solo single and they’d jump at the chance. Regardless of whose fault such a weird sort of lukewarm relationship presently might be, I just don’t see that happening.

This new Mike interview is refreshingly interesting. But I don’t see a warm, budding relationship between his camp and the other.

These guys are always capable of anything, and they’ve literally been known to follow up lawsuits with collaborations, so anything is possible. But given recent interviews and the recent “Love & Mercy” soundtrack CD backroom politics, my best guess is we’re not at a stage of seeing Brian or Al sing on a Mike record.

A good BRI manager would of course point out that, if Brian and Al did sing on a Mike record, that a much stronger idea would then be to actually do a “Beach Boys” project at that stage.  

People supposedly in-the-know were denying the possibility of a 50C reunion while it was actually happening already. So who knows.

Great interview, btw.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »

This is the kind of interview Mike needs to do more often. Very good read.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/cover/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:11 AM »

This is the kind of interview Mike needs to do more often. Very good read.

and not a mention of hanging with the Beatles and helping write Back in the USSR yet....though there is a part 2  Grin

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:08 AM »

"Super Stock Dart" is interesting. Always thought it was "Super Stock Dodge" which really does not matter much as either is technically correct.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 02:36:39 AM »

Haven't A-B'd them but does his early history account concur with the info in the book Becoming the Beach Boys?  Wonder if he's read it?

That, or Jim Hirsch has done his research.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 05:08:22 AM »

The kind of great interview one comes to expect from Ken Sharp.

He appreciates the band's musical legacy, respects each member for their own contributions, asks insightful questions, does not shy away from the more difficult material, and never fails to uncover new and interesting information.  I think the band members know they are speaking with a true professional journalist and enjoy opening up and discussing the deeper aspects of their careers.  One of the best interviews with Mike I have ever read.

Thanks, Ken.

Really looking forward to Part 2. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »

Great interview ( minus the astrology in When I Grow Up. Think that's overanalyzing the lyrics there Mike) I would bet money you were not thinking astrological signs when you wrote that.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 12:25:53 AM »

Haven't A-B'd them but does his early history account concur with the info in the book Becoming the Beach Boys?  Wonder if he's read it?

That, or Jim Hirsch has done his research.

So you're both working for him?!?!?  Ahhh! Ahhh!

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 04:39:41 PM »

Mike's interview Part 2 is available: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/10/08/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-one-on-one-interview-part-2

IF only everything he says didn't have to be related in terms of crediting himself.
Oh well, still lots of compliments  for others.  

Wondering now if " Alone On christmas Day" in the new Bill Murray movie will be performed by The Beach Boys/The Mike Love Band, or Phoenix  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:56:33 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »

One error-the meeting between Mike and Carl and the Beatles was August 1965 not 1964.  Aug 22 1964 the BBs were playing in Pittsburgh!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »

Mike's interview Part 2 is available: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/10/08/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-one-on-one-interview-part-2

IF only everything he says didn't have to be related in terms of crediting himself.

Wondering now if " Alone On christmas Day" in the new Bill Murray movie will be performed by The Beach Boys/The Mike Love Band, or Phoenix  

Thanks for posting! It was great to see him give a shoutout to 'Be Still' and 'Little Bird'. And I had no idea Mike worked on lyrics for 'Pacific Ocean Blues'....makes perfect sense now.

I really hope we see more interviews like this with all the remaining members. They obviously have so many memories and thoughts that us fans would love to hear.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »

One error-the meeting between Mike and Carl and the Beatles was August 1965 not 1964.  Aug 22 1964 the BBs were playing in Pittsburgh!

You know, based on Mike's answer, I'd venture they said, and Mike heard, 1965, but mistyped 1964 when they went to publish. Kind of ties in with their typing Carl's name as Carol and Carla in two other spots...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »

More mahagarbage from myKe luHv-"I did this", "I wrote that", "I sang that". What an insecure, pretentious braggart.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »

For everyone interested in connecting the dots, here are a few dots.

Besides the interview posted in the link, Mike a few weeks ago said this while promoting the Australian tour:
"And we might debut our single "Alone On Christmas Day", which was a song I wrote back in the 60's, and the group Phoenix just found it and it's in a Bill Murray TV movie called "Very Murray Christmas". So They got me to record my own song."

Mike and the band were in a studio in Massachusetts back in August, doing a vocal session linked to Michael Lloyd in a studio in California. A Christmas song, according to reports.

"A Very Murray Christmas" lists the band members of Phoenix among the guest appearances scheduled for the Murray Netflix special, it's supposed to be a take-off on the old Christmas variety shows that used to run on TV.

Sofia Coppola is running the show, sort of a reunion of her and Bill Murray after her film "Lost In Translation".

Sofia Coppola is married to Thomas Mars, the frontman of the band Phoenix.

There are the dots.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx