gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:00:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The touring band on Imus this morning...  (Read 8558 times)
Totally Jason
Smiley Smile Associate

WWMLD?

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006, 05:49:43 AM »

I only caught bits and pieces (was dealing with an ill grandmother, waiting for paramedics to arrive, etc), but I could hear most of it in the background as I did what I did. Mike sounded OK, pretty much his usual self vocally. Among some of the old BB standards performed, I happened to catch Cool Hand Warm Heart and Make Love Not War. Mike also commented on the fact that the top two card sellers at Hallmark since the SFHAB promotion started have been the Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun audio cards. I wish I could have heard more or had I been home I would have captured it, but the performances were enjoyable. I missed most of the chatter in-between songs, but it didn't sound like much more than the usual topics here and there. Smiley

Did any of y'all happen to catch it, and perhaps offer more details on what was performed, any interesting factoids that were spoken about, etc?

Now, Summer is the time where there are no strings attached, but we could get together if you come on back. I'd like to tell you, if it's any satisfaction, you'll always be my Summer season's main attraction.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 07:10:11 AM »

I saw it this morning as well. Good performance overall. Here's the setlist:

All Summer Long
Make Love, Not War
Good Timin'
Cool Head, Warm Heart
Fun, Fun, Fun
Surfin' U.S.A

Some interesting choices for the boys, but enjoyed it. Was cool to hear All Summer Long, Good Timin', and Cool Head, Warm Heart. It was an unplugged performance which gave a nice feel to the songs. No performance of Kokomo, surprisingly. No new facts. Basically talked about the Hallmark cd, that they got together at Capitol, etc. and Mike describing Cool Head of what inspired him, of when he was with Maharishi (sp?). Nothing new, but nice to hear them again.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Totally Jason
Smiley Smile Associate

WWMLD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

Thanks for the full recap. Smiley

Of what I heard, I think Cool Head Warm Heart and All Summer Long were the best performances.

Now, Summer is the time where there are no strings attached, but we could get together if you come on back. I'd like to tell you, if it's any satisfaction, you'll always be my Summer season's main attraction.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »

No problem man  Smiley. Yeah I agree. I found myself singing and humming Cool Head, Warm Heart throughout the day today. It's pretty catchy.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
oldsurferdude
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

Saw them on GMA today singing Cool Head Warm Heart-the song is neither bad nor good, but Mike should not sing it-nor should he sing Kokomo anymore-He did, however sound up to par on Cali Girls-Just another good reason to let Al back in the group-
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »

I too saw them on GMA this morning.  The Beach Boys are now god-awful.  I mean that was a horribly sub par performance, I can honestly say I'm a better singer than anybody in the entire band as it was presented this morning.  With that said, I don't think it would take much to be a better singer than any of them.  The guy that sings falsetto sounds average at best, Mike Love is a disgrace (and I'm a big Mike fan, it hurts me to say so), nobody in the band was putting any of the beach boys magic into any of the vocals.  Instrumentally, they were at least competant but then they do cheezy casio synthesizers and things on "california girls" and it just ruins the whole damn thing.

In my opinion the best song was Kokomo, it at least sounded slightly like the original. 

In the STUDIO, it may be different... but live, urgh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, they asked Mike and Bruce about meeting up with Brian @ Capitol, and if a reunion would happen... when they said "is there a reunion tour coming up maybe?" Bruce said "Well, maybe a reunion show and a video or something". 

"Cool Head, Warm Heart" sounds decent but the live version bombed.  Brian Wilson's band blows the Beach Boys so far out of the water it's unfair.  I mean, BAR BANDS are usually much better than the Beach Boys were on television this morning.  Even when Brian's out of tune and 64 years old he sounds better than anybody in Mike's band this morning. 

Al can likely sing better than any of them, I'd love to see him involved with whatever happens in the future.  I don't know what was up with the rest of the guys in Mike's band, maybe they couldn't hear how incredibly horrid they sounded? 
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »

I think Ron is exaggerating a little-not much, but a little...the Imus performance was better, maybe being indoors makes a difference...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »

Well, I really did think they were horrible.  I can't name 1 band right now that sounds worse in a live show that I've seen than the Beach Boys did this morning.  That's not exagerating, I swear!  I haven't seen a performance that bad on the last several seasons of American Idol (with the exception of the 'worst of' shows or auditions or whatever), it really was just horrible, but I'm comparing it to the glorious stuff they did earlier, so maybe that's not fair... and I really do feel that I could easily sing better than any of those songs were performed this morning, MAYBE they couldn't hear each other, and I would have liked to have heard the Imus 'acoustic' performance to see if it was good. 

Objectively, because I like Mike too, I'm not one to bash him or his court antics... objectively, if the Brian Wilson band say... as presented on Leno his last few times he was on singing.. if the Brian Wilson band is an 8.5 live, the Beach Boys this morning were a 4.  His band is at least twice as entertaining, on key, on tempo, faithful to the recording, etc. as Mike's was this morning.  It's supposed to be the BEACH BOYS, damn at least get some people that can amp the vocals up and make Mike sound good, how hard is it to get 4 or 5 guys in their 20's that sing good?  Brian did it! 

I watch all of these pbs 'oldies' concerts, and see bands like the Platters (pretty much no original members), the Temptations (1 original member), Jay Black & the Americans, Peaches & Herb, The Dells, The Drifters, The Coasters, The Shirelles (yeah right, probably no original members), Darlene Love, the 4 Seasons, Little Anthony & the Imperials, the Vogues, Jerry Butler.... the list goes on and on and on, and each of these bands or performers pretty much can replicate or come close to replicating a good rendition of their original songs.  The beach Boys do not.  Brian Wilson does, though, so we can give him that for at least assembling a nice band and doing his best personally.  Paul McCartney still rocks, the Stones still sound half-ass decent, Paul Simon still sounds decent.  Little Anthony & the Imperials are probably the best I've heard, they still sound incredible....

so I'm just saying compared to peers, Mike & co. are doing a horrible job of representing their past music.  No wonder they'll entertain the notion of Brian helping them out a bit. 

With that said, in the late 90's I saw Mike & Bruce live, and really enjoyed the show, but I wasn't a big Beach Boys fanatic then, just familiar with their music like most people.  So... maybe they were better then, or maybe I'm more picky now... but he was WAY! off this morning.  So sad, because he has to be capable of such a better show, I'll get the hallmark album and see if the studio version sounds better, I imagine it must. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:02:02 PM by Ron » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:02:58 PM »

I'm perplexed...

A few years ago I saw the Mike/Bruce Beach Boys in concert and they were excellent. They rocked hard, fast, and long.  I was impressed.

But the last couple of years, they changed their style. They now play the songs slower, and I don't think it's for the better. First, it's harder to hold the notes, which isn't getting any easier for Mike or Bruce. Second, this slower pace just sucks the life out of the music. It doesn't rock, it drags. I think the backing musicians are very talented, but this style does not allow them to display their talents.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:09:09 PM »

Yes, that's definately part of the problem.  And the band LOOKED young, you'd think they'd *want to rock.  I noticed that on their christmas performance of "little st. nick", it was just too slow.  Brian was going around doing it at regular speed, the BB's were going around doing it slightly too slow, they sounded horrible. 

Obviously Brian can't sing as well as he once did.  Obviously his band helps that a lot in a live setting.  I can handle that, I applaud him working so hard to give the best concert possible even with a diminished voice.  This morning Mike was on auto-pilot and it was BAD.  the rest of his band sounded as thin as he did, too.  At least Brian's band covers up his weaker voice (which honestly I still think is pretty decent) with several STRONG singers in the group who help pad out the harmonies and double Brian or whatever needs to be done to put on an excellent show. 

It's like early 60's, BB's live had nice thick vocals, AND decent instrumentation.  late 60's, Brian leaves the touring band, they still had nice thick vocals, and rocked even harder.  70's, harmonies started diminishing, focused more on hard rocking instrumentation.  From the 80's on, the live harmonies and the live instrumentation has just been going downhill to now they're slow, the vocals are thin, and they've got a bare bones backup band. 
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »

had a discussion with some friends last night (til 4 a.m.) that touched on, among other things musical, the idea that older songs tend to be played rather fast...I said it feels like a case of "let's get this over with..." my friend Ozzie said no that's where the energy is,people want that energy...we agreed to disagree...Ron gave the BBs a "4"...Judging from his post, he should've given them a "2"...I thought  the GMA was a "4"and the Imus was a "7" or so...but that's just me...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »

If it was a band just doing some unknown song, a 2 definately.  They are performing some of the greatest music ever written, however... so it's hard to give less than a 4 to a band performing a half-ass version of "California Girls".  I mean Alvin & the Chipmunks could do a 4 or 5 on "California girls". 
teardropcity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHSrLPjQ_g&search=beach%20boys   Mike Love from the Imus show
 interview,    and peformance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHDRWpOclfE&search=beach%20boys
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:05:08 PM by teardropcity » Logged

teardropcity:music for late nights and early mornings http://www.teardropcity.com
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 03:37:38 PM »

Thank you very much for posting that.  Mike gives a good interview, I think.  Great interview.

Alright, in Imus' studio, they were much, much better than they were on GMA.  Like two different bands, so that's good to know that it was just a bad day for them or they couldn't hear.  I still think Brian's band is better but Mike's did a good solid job on Imus.  Of course Mike wasn't singing, either, lol.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »

I think that was a good performance and a great interview.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »

I really liked that interview. Mike seems much better talking about Brian than a few years ago. Maybe the "hatches" really are gone...

BTW http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2164128

Can anybody get this on youtube?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »

Mike's singing is atrocious. Wow. Absolutely awful. He sounds worse than Brian does now (which sometimes is pretty bad) despite staying in a very limited range. I'm surprised, having not heard Mike sing in a long time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
sloopjasonb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

YOWZA.  that bummed me out.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 10:31:20 AM »

They should keep John Cowsill on drums, he's alot better than Kowalski.

And I don't think Mike's voice is that bad, especially in Cool Head Warm Heart, which incidentally isn't as awesome without Christian Love's backing vocals.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »

And I don't think Mike's voice is that bad, especially in Cool Head Warm Heart...

That is specifically what I listened to and despised. He is struggling to find pitches, wavering both ways, and very weak. I know he's aging, but that was pathetic. If that's professional singing, I can do without it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »

But it wasn't just Mike. Most of the band had problems keeping in tune....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 06:44:47 PM »

That's what I was talking about.  Absolutely horrible.  Every song they DID was that bad, they must have not been able to hear themselves because as exibited, they sounded good the day before on IMUS.  64 year old Brian Wilson could sing acapella better than that whole performance of cool head. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »

Maybe this reunion talk has a few of the hired guns nervous about their pay-checks and its starting to show?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »

Well, they should be nervous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 06:38:23 PM »

You guys are buggin.. Mike didnt sound too bad aside from some slip ups.. and Bruce sounded great on California Girls...

I'm impressed that at their age they sound as good as they do..
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx