gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - Rings / Question on this song?  (Read 4873 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »

Rings By Brian Wilson link on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Os_9y8EUg

Does anyone have any kind of information on this song? I never heard of it before until i found it on an old untitled bootleg. Sounds like its from the 80's sometime. I like the song alot! Its not on this website that has just about every unreleased beach boys and solo song, I Do see it is missing some of Mikes solo songs but other then that I cant believe the song Isnt on the Vaults page!

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html

Any Help would be very welcoming! Thanks
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:53:34 PM by The_Beach » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »

Sounds like MIU era voice to me.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »

The song *is* on the "From The Vaults" page...

"Rings (B. Wilson) - spring 1981 - Brian"

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »

The song *is* on the "From The Vaults" page...

"Rings (B. Wilson) - spring 1981 - Brian"

Now you went and ruined his only reason for posting...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »

Thanks a Million! I thought it was a Brian Wilson song not a beach boys song so i guess i never thought to look under that catagory! Updated the information right away! Great Song!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Wow. Has this been out there a while? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've never heard it before.

The song itself though I didn't think was very strong or anything. Not particularly deserving of release or anything.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »

This doesn't sound like 1981 to me.  It sounds later, as in mid to late 80s, after he lost some weight.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »

Bethatasitmay, it was recorded in spring 1981 along with three, four other demos (e.g. "Walking On Water").

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »

This doesn't sound like 1981 to me.  It sounds later, as in mid to late 80s, after he lost some weight.

That was my problem too! I thought for sure that was from the late 80s.

I never heard of walking on water by the beach boys. is there any way I can listen to that demo??? Thanks
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:19 PM »

I never heard of walking on water by the beach boys. is there any way I can listen to that demo??? Thanks

here's a version of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pZkBg0zPc

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »

Wow, thanks... I like this one!!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »

Pretty bad.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 07:34:08 AM »

Bethatasitmay, it was recorded in spring 1981 along with three, four other demos (e.g. "Walking On Water").
[/quote

If you're referring to the tape of RINGS, SWEETIE, WATER BUILDS UP, and DON'T LET HER KNOW SHE'S AN ANGEL, I have good reason to believe these four demos were recorded in October 1986. Really good reason. SWEETIE was written by summer '81, WATER by summer '84, and ANGEL by summer '85, but indications are those particular piano/vocal demos were taped October '86.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what good research should be: person A relates what he was told by person B, a then-credible source, then person C - an even more credible, if not actually impeccable, source - corrects him. Everybody wins.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »

Wow thats Awesome. Now only if I could hear the beach boys versioN!  THanks for sharing
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »

If you're referring to the tape of RINGS, SWEETIE, WATER BUILDS UP, and DON'T LET HER KNOW SHE'S AN ANGEL, I have good reason to believe these four demos were recorded in October 1986. Really good reason. SWEETIE was written by summer '81, WATER by summer '84, and ANGEL by summer '85, but indications are those particular piano/vocal demos were taped October '86.

Hey there c-man, I know this isn't quite related to the original topic, but through all your research do you know if "Sweetie" was ever indeed actually recorded by The Beach Boys? Because I know it's rumored that there's a version featuring Brian, Mike and Al on lead, but it also seems like there has been precious little documentation of it, so I just wonder. Thanks in advance.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »

There was a session documented for it in 1981, wasn't there? Brian only IIRC. Lesser-known is the 1996 session for The Wilsons with Carnie and Wendy.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »

Sweetie is also known as "Love Ya," and was recorded for Sweet Insanity, for those who don't know.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 03:51:58 AM »

Hey there c-man, I know this isn't quite related to the original topic, but through all your research do you know if "Sweetie" was ever indeed actually recorded by The Beach Boys? Because I know it's rumored that there's a version featuring Brian, Mike and Al on lead, but it also seems like there has been precious little documentation of it, so I just wonder. Thanks in advance.

Yes - there was a version recorded in 1981, with Brian, Mike and Al rotating the lead, and a drum machine backing, so I'm told. Haven't heard it myself.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 05:42:01 AM »

As I'm sure most folks here know, right before they go on stage for the 1981 Queen Mary Long Beach gig, the band is interviewed and Mike raves about a new song Brian had written called "Sweetie." Seriously, Mike seems to think the song is an effing masterpiece or something, and seems to want to convince Brian to record the track. Even Brian seems to be rather "meh" about it, although he was more "meh" about the whole show and probably the whole telecast and the whole tour (if not life in general) at that point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »

To be fair, I'm sure the entire band was rather "meh" at the Queen Mary gig. All of the band looked tired and jet-lagged as hell.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »

As I'm sure most folks here know, right before they go on stage for the 1981 Queen Mary Long Beach gig, the band is interviewed and Mike raves about a new song Brian had written called "Sweetie." Seriously, Mike seems to think the song is an effing masterpiece or something, and seems to want to convince Brian to record the track. Even Brian seems to be rather "meh" about it, although he was more "meh" about the whole show and probably the whole telecast and the whole tour (if not life in general) at that point.

Has the song "Sweetie" been leaked? I would love to hear this one too!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »

Here's Love Ya ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2QNg98QYs

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx