gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:45:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing 45 master tapes.  (Read 7246 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:26:37 PM »

In his old old old (hee hee) book LLVS, Dom talks about a Heroes and Villains Part Two being a reality. As part of the discussion, he mentions the following:

The 45 master tapes for "Heroes & Villains Pt. 1," "Heroes & Villains Pt. 2," "I Get Around," "Fun, Fun, Fun," "Be True To Your School," "The Warmth of the Sun," "Don't Worry Baby"  (and probably five more of the early hits) are all missing from both The Beach Boys' and Capitol's tape library. Engineer Mark Linett did manage to find other sources for these tunes.

Along with this WIBN was also lost. We know that was pulled from the NYC Copy Tape of Pet Sounds. Does anyone (Bgas) know what sources were used for the others? Just wondering.

As a personal aside, I always thought it was stupid that back in 1986 Capitol used that really bad rough mix of WIBN for Made In USA and countless other comps done at that time. Guess Larry Walsh was lazy (he really disliked the Beach Boys and their music). But, if he could only find that rough mix, why didn't he pull the Sunshine Dream master from 1982 and use the single version off of that. Another generation down sure, but at least its the right mix.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:27:57 PM by petsite » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »

A bunch of those tapes were actually found back in 2009.

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »

A bunch of those tapes were actually found back in 2009.

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/

The tapes that were discovered in 2009 were multitrack tapes. Not 45 single master tapes, I think.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »

The tapes that were discovered in 2009 were multitrack tapes. Not 45 single master tapes, I think.

You are correct.  A different story altogether about the multitracks.

From my understanding, Capitol had two methods of storing 45 masters: First, the 45 masters could be on their own reel/hub, in their own box.  You can imagine with as many 45's as Capitol released, how many boxes/reels that would be from a storage standpoint.  Second, Capitol would take the masters for all of the singles from all artists released during a specific time period (i.e. a month), and splice them end-to-end on a single large reel to conserve space.  This is known as a "phono reel."  The masters for a number of Beach Boys singles that couldn't be found on their own reel were eventually found on their respective phono reel.  That's how the unreleased alternate single mix of "Little Honda" on KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER 1965 was found -- it was spliced into a phono reel, even though the 45 release was cancelled.

So I believe Domenic's statement was written well before all of the vault research was done by Alan Boyd and Mark Linett -- which included the research into Capitol's massive set of phono reels.

Lee
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:56:05 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »

H & V pt 1 of course is still missing and we've had to be content with the less than stellar sound quality copy tape.  There is no evidence that there was a completed single mix of Pt. 2 although the mono mix attempts on UM and on TSS suggest one was attempted, but I think it most likely one was never completed because Brian immediately went on to do more recording (fade and verse remakes, Intro, etc.).
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:24 AM »

Does anyone know if the master tapes were used for the "U.S. Singles Collection" box set from 2008? I love that box set, aside from the fact that a few of the tracks are realllly loud.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »

Does anyone know if the master tapes were used for the "U.S. Singles Collection" box set from 2008? I love that box set, aside from the fact that a few of the tracks are realllly loud.
Not in all cases, at least. Don't Worry Baby and California Girls are two examples where the 45 masters were not used. You can check them against the 1999 Greatest Hits Vols. 1 & 2 which do use the 45 masters.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »

Not in all cases, at least. Don't Worry Baby and California Girls are two examples where the 45 masters were not used. You can check them against the 1999 Greatest Hits Vols. 1 & 2 which do use the 45 masters.

Thanks. But they are the original 45 mixes right? Just a generation (or two) removed from the master?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »

You are correct.  A different story altogether about the multitracks.

From my understanding, Capitol had two methods of storing 45 masters: First, the 45 masters could be on their own reel/hub, in their own box.  You can imagine with as many 45's as Capitol released, how many boxes/reels that would be from a storage standpoint.  Second, Capitol would take the masters for all of the singles from all artists released during a specific time period (i.e. a month), and splice them end-to-end on a single large reel to conserve space.  This is known as a "phono reel."  The masters for a number of Beach Boys singles that couldn't be found on their own reel were eventually found on their respective phono reel.  That's how the unreleased alternate single mix of "Little Honda" on KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER 1965 was found -- it was spliced into a phono reel, even though the 45 release was cancelled.

So I believe Domenic's statement was written well before all of the vault research was done by Alan Boyd and Mark Linett -- which included the research into Capitol's massive set of phono reels.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I was wondering about that. Bruce Spizer has written extensively about the Beatles Capitol releases and even has notes about what was done to each tape and how it was stored etc. He mentions the phono reel setup. So I was wondering if that could have been the case with the boys. We need a book like his on the Beach Boys releases. It's interesting stuff.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »

Thanks. But they are the original 45 mixes right? Just a generation (or two) removed from the master?
No, both songs that I mention are LP mixes on the U.S. Singles collection, not the 45 mixes, hence not from the 45 masters.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:08:58 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »

Wow Dirk -- I hadn't noticed that until I just pulled out those CDs.  "Don't Worry Baby" and "California Girls" are examples where the true 45 masters (as opposed to the mono album masters) have longer fadeouts.  On the "DWB" 45 you can very faintly hear Brian start up with a high part after his last "Don't Worry Baby, oo oo oo oo" -- probably like he did on the alternate take on the MADE IN CALIFORNIA box set.  On the mono album master you can barely hear the "oo oo oo oo" at all.  On the "California Girls" 45 master the fade starts after Hal Blaine's "dum dum dum dum dum dum" quarter-note triplets, where the mono album mix is well into its fade by the time Hal hits the triplets.  Plus the 45 master has a brighter high-end on Hal's drum kit.

Lee
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

Wow Dirk -- I hadn't noticed that until I just pulled out those CDs.  "Don't Worry Baby" and "California Girls" are examples where the true 45 masters (as opposed to the mono album masters) have longer fadeouts.  On the "DWB" 45 you can very faintly hear Brian start up with a high part after his last "Don't Worry Baby, oo oo oo oo" -- probably like he did on the alternate take on the MADE IN CALIFORNIA box set.  On the mono album master you can barely hear the "oo oo oo oo" at all.  On the "California Girls" 45 master the fade starts after Hal Blaine's "dum dum dum dum dum dum" quarter-note triplets, where the mono album mix is well into its fade by the time Hal hits the triplets.  Plus the 45 master has a brighter high-end on Hal's drum kit.

Lee
Also, listen to the saxes on the intro, much harder sounding. Throughout the 45 mix the drums are more out front, as are Bruce's vocals on the chorus. Brian falsetto sounds more out front too. Then we get to the fade. Brian smoothed all that out on the LP mix.

Also, if you listen to Andrew Sandoval's 1998 stereo mix on the first Endless Harmony you will notice how much his stereo mix follows the 45 mono mix with the horns, drums and vocals. Mark Linett's stereo mix sounds more like the LP mono mix.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:49:47 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »

Why would they use the mono LP versions? Reminds me of the Beatles CD single collection where they took the Please Please Me LP master and took Please Please Me, Love Me Do, Ask Me Why and PS I Love You from there rather than going to the original single masters. The difference is that when these tracks were copied for the LP master, they tacked on alot of echo and compression. So using the mono LP masters it is not ok when advertising the singles as from the original mixes. How many times did we have the mono Shut Down Vol. 2 version of Fun Fun Fun before they finally started pulling out the original mono single mix.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »

Why would they use the mono LP versions? Reminds me of the Beatles CD single collection where they took the Please Please Me LP master and took Please Please Me, Love Me Do, Ask Me Why and PS I Love You from there rather than going to the original single masters. The difference is that when these tracks were copied for the LP master, they tacked on alot of echo and compression. So using the mono LP masters it is not ok when advertising the singles as from the original mixes. How many times did we have the mono Shut Down Vol. 2 version of Fun Fun Fun before they finally started pulling out the original mono single mix.
Either they didn't take the time to look for the singles or they didn't realize that there were differences. In the case of DWB & CG maybe Brian nixed including them, as Greatest Hits 1 & 2 are the only CD's to ever release them, or LP's for that matter.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:12:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

Lee, check out the :34 mark of Don't Worry Baby on GH vol.2. Notice how much lower the background vocals are as compared to the LP mix (up like the stereo mix).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:07 AM »

So are California Girls and Don't Worry Baby the only two songs on the U.S. Singles Collection that don't use the original 45 mixes? I'm trying to make sure I have all the proper single mixes in place, like others here I'm sure. Thanks in advance.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »

Ok, you guys made me go back to look at all of my CDs with California Girls on them (the original mono mix). Strangely enough, even though it uses some of the wrong 45 mixes (mono Shut Down Fun Fun Fun), the original Reader's Digest 2 CD set from the 1980's uses the 45 mix of California Girls. Cue's up at 2:47 running time and has the longer fade out.

BTW, the GH's 1-3 from 1999 are some really great sounding CDs. Was always weird that the wrong version of Fun Fun Fun got on there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:42:21 AM by petsite » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

Ok, you guys made me go back to look at all of my CDs with California Girls on them (the original mono mix). Strangely enough, even though it uses some of the wrong 45 mixes (mono Shut Down Fun Fun Fun), the original Reader's Digest 2 CD set from the 1980's uses the 45 mix of California Girls. Cue's up at 2:47 running time and has the longer fade out.

BTW, the GH's 1-3 from 1999 are some really great sounding CDs. Was always weird that the wrong version of Fun Fun Fun got on there.
What are the differences with Shut Down? Is it just the fade or are there other differences?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »

Single version of Fun Fun Fun has the organ in the break pushed up louder than the regular mono version. Listen to GH 1 and then Sounds Of Summer. SOS has the 45 mix.

I just checked. The correct version of DWB 45 mix is also on the Summer Crush CD from Starbucks.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »

I was somehow unaware that so many songs had different mixes or edits for their 45 release versus their album release.

This is extremely aggravating news.

Is there a list of songs this applies to?

Does this list possibly include original CD sources for each?

OH MY GOD.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »

Single version of Fun Fun Fun has the organ in the break pushed up louder than the regular mono version. Listen to GH 1 and then Sounds Of Summer. SOS has the 45 mix.

I just checked. The correct version of DWB 45 mix is also on the Summer Crush CD from Starbucks.
I know about Fun Fun Fun, but you mentioned Shut Down too in you post. I checked all the albums and CD's that I have and they all (mono's) sound pretty much the same to me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »

I know about Fun Fun Fun, but you mentioned Shut Down too in you post. I checked all the albums and CD's that I have and they all (mono's) sound pretty much the same to me.

I think Bob meant that the "Fun, Fun, Fun" on the Reader's Digest collection uses the SHUT DOWN VOL. II mono LP version instead of the 45 version.

Lee
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »

I think Bob meant that the "Fun, Fun, Fun" on the Reader's Digest collection uses the SHUT DOWN VOL. II mono LP version instead of the 45 version.

Lee

Thanks Lee. The RD, Made In USA, and GH Volume 1 all use the mono fun fun fun from Shut Down Vol. 2. So do so many others. As I said earlier, I wish they would have been more careful assembling these comps.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:57 PM »

I was somehow unaware that so many songs had different mixes or edits for their 45 release versus their album release.

This is extremely aggravating news.

Is there a list of songs this applies to?

Does this list possibly include original CD sources for each?

OH MY GOD.

I've been listening to a lot of these 45 mixes today, and the differences mainly range from slight to imperceptible. In most cases it's just minor variations of instrument/vocal levels or occasionally longer fades. Few of them seem majorly different from their LP counterparts as was the case with some of the early Stones mixes. The exceptions are likely ones you're already aware of: "Be True to Your School" (re-recorded entirely), "Little St. Nick" and the cool unused single mix of "Little Honda" from the Keep an Eye on Summer copyright comp.

This got me thinking about the latest round of Analogue Productions reissues, where it was discovered by listeners that some of the songs on those albums that were picked as singles were sourced from lesser generations because the original masters had been moved over to isolated reels or phono reels that were later discarded. I'm not sure of the exact songs (I seem to remember "Little Deuce Coupe being mentioned) but am I right in thinking that the procedure Capitol/ Brian used at the time was to remix the songs once they had been cut from the LP reel and transferred, thus the variations in overall sound between LP vs. singles pressings? It would cool to get to the bottom of all this.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:58:30 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:26 AM »

This got me thinking about the latest round of Analogue Productions reissues, where it was discovered by listeners that some of the songs on those albums that were picked as singles were sourced from lesser generations because the original masters had been moved over to isolated reels or phono reels that were later discarded. I'm not sure of the exact songs (I seem to remember "Little Deuce Coupe being mentioned) but am I right in thinking that the procedure Capitol/ Brian used at the time was to remix the songs once they had been cut from the LP reel and transferred, thus the variations in overall sound between LP vs. singles pressings? It would cool to get to the bottom of all this.
[/quote]

I just got one of the Analogue Productions LPs in the mail today.  It shows pictures of the back of the tape boxes for the mono mix of Surfer Girl and Surfin' Safari LPs.  Each box has some interesting markings on a few songs-

Surfer Girl (Replaced 5-4-67)
Surfin Safari (Back In 5-4-67)
Surfin' (Back In 5-4-67)

What the heck was going on in May of 1967?  Was Brian trying to cut up his old master tapes while setting the Smile tapes on fire at the same time?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx