gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:00:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston as a member of the Beach Boys  (Read 13558 times)
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »

I see many points that have been brought up. I definitely think that Bruce can be an ass at times on the BBB and in interviews. But he has written many good songs. So I don't know how I feel about him totally. I wonder why he is like that, walking out on an interview when Love You was brought up. And to the person that asked whether he was on that album, he was credited on it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »

I Write the Songs (which won a grammy, hello!) are just gorgeous!

I wouldn't use winning a Grammy as proof of artistic merit. Shall we pull a list of Grammy-winning songs? Really?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »

Is Ringo not really a Beatle?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 04:52:12 AM »

Is Ringo not really a Beatle?

The Beatles produced nothing of merit after Ringo joined...

“We live in divisive times.”
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 05:25:02 AM »

I'd have to disagree with you chief. Bruce has written tracks that can destroy others. I think Bruce is up there with Brian, Carl, and Dennis. Completely surpassing Mike and Al. Tears in the Morning, Disney Girls, and his very own I Write the Songs (which won a grammy, hello!) are just gorgeous! Especially when he plays them live (as a solo mind you) at BB concerts.

If I saw Mike & Bruce's touring band, Ill be the guy in the front screaming for Bruce to sing DisneyGirls or I Write the Songs, because that would be worth the admission alone...

I'll give you Disney Girls, Dierdre, and I can even handle Tears in the Morning sometimes.  Those are all good tunes.  I Write the Songs is God awful IMO and backing up how great it is by saying it won a grammy doesn't really work.  I mean, Milli Vanilli won a grammy as well!!  Should we be holding them in high regard for that accomplishment?  They aren't the only shitty people to have taken home the grammy either.  One of a great many!  And you say Bruce is the only member to win a grammy but did Brian not win the best instrumental grammy last year for Mrs. O'Leary's Cow?  I thought he did, but honestly, I can't remember.  Another strike against Bruce's songwriting, Endless Harmony!  One of my least favorite BB songs EVER!

My take is that Bruce certainly deserves to have member status in the Beach Boys.  He has put in more than enough time with them.  I'm not his biggest fan by any means but he deserves it.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 06:16:11 AM »

I can't understand it when people dispute Bruce's role. Lets look at the facts...

1. Did Bruce perform on stage with the Beach Boys - Yes
2. Did Bruce play and sing on the albums - Yes
3. Did Bruce write songs for the Beach Boys - Yes
4. Did Bruce appear on the album covers - Yes
5. Is Bruce credited on the Beach Boys albums he was involved in - Yes

Did Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike and Al do the above - Yes

That to me pretty much sums that Bruce can be classed as a full member of the Beach Boys, does the same apply to David Marks? Well, he certainly did most of the above (I can't confirm No. 3 from the top of my head?) and he is classed as a fully fledged member is he not?

Does the same apply to Ricky and Blondie? - Well, er, Yes!

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:11:07 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »

I think I went a bit too far bringing up the fact that Bruce won an Emmy. That reason itself wouldn't really have much of an effect of whether Bruce is a Beach Boy or not. I was just bringing it up to prove that he is a solid song writer/producer...and even though the Emmy might not mean so much now as it has at some point it's still recognition.

Past all the arguments and what not, in my opinion I think he's a member of The Beach Boys. For the same reasons mentioned above. 

The debate of where his place in line of 'the best beach boy writer/producer' is a whole other thread... Ahhh!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »

I think I went a bit too far bringing up the fact that Bruce won an Emmy. That reason itself wouldn't really have much of an effect of whether Bruce is a Beach Boy or not. I was just bringing it up to prove that he is a solid song writer/producer...and even though the Emmy might not mean so much now as it has at some point it's still recognition.

Past all the arguments and what not, in my opinion I think he's a member of The Beach Boys. For the same reasons mentioned above. 

The debate of where his place in line of 'the best beach boy writer/producer' is a whole other thread... Ahhh!

I agree with you Joe.  I just brought up the grammy thing to show that while it is an honor to be recognized in that fashion, there have been some pretty bonehead moves by the board that picks the winners.

I say Bruce is most certainly a Beach Boy for the above reasons.  David Marks is for the same reasons and I'm glad he is finally getting a bit of mainstreem recognition (rooftop celebration).  Now if only they would acknowledge Blondie and Ricky!  Why do the BB's continue to ignore the fact that they were in the band?

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:01 PM »

The debate of where his place in line of 'the best beach boy writer/producer' is a whole other thread...

Let the record show that although I feel that Bruce is the "least" talented of the Beach Boys (in relative terms, of course;doesn't mean he's talentless), I do feel he's most definitely a Beach Boy. He has indeed earned that right.

That said, I agree heavily with those who feel its time for Blondie and Ricky to get their dues.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »

LOL hahaha nice find billy! I can't believe I didn't catch that...

--
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »

I don't see why it matters if Bruce was a "real"  Beach Boy or why you have to create some kind of hierarchy with him as a kind of second class citizen. In terms of contribution he certainly carried his own weight.  After Brian he is together with Dennis probably the most talented, that was in that band, the others must have felt that way too, since they made him come back and produce them on "LA" and "Keeping The Summer Alive"

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2006, 08:58:05 AM »

How does being a proficient musician with capable production skills make Bruce more talented than Carl???
I don't know about  Al as a producer, but I put him a notch above Bruce as well.  He's got way more heart and plain raw talent if you ask me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »

How does being a proficient musician with capable production skills make Bruce more talented than Carl???
I don't know about  Al as a producer, but I put him a notch above Bruce as well.  He's got way more heart and plain raw talent if you ask me.
'

Al did some decent productions. He loses points for some of the production on MIU, but Bruce loses more for KTSA (and esp. Oh Darlin, which was MUCH better in its original incarnartion). Not too much seperation talent-wise as far as production. I don't know if I'll necessarily say Al had more raw talent than Bruce, but I do feel (again, IMHO) that his style was more to my liking. He had more of an edge than Bruce, who was too MOR for my tastes.

You just gave me an idea for a new topic.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »

I think someone brought this up, but whats up with Bruce at the tag of I'll Bet He's Nice, is that the only song he contributed in for Love You? And if so, why? I thought he wasn't part of the band at the time...

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »

He contributed even after he left, on everything except MIU.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 02:01:42 PM »

But he's not on Carl & the Passions nor Holland...what else has he contributed to?

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

He did song on Marcella, and as for Holland... I honestly don't know. AGD said he was on there. I'll ask him.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »

"California" and, apparently, "Sail On Sailor.

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 03:41:48 AM »

I think he was a better songwriter, even though his songs were mostly cheesy, he was more creative in that respect compared to Carl, who mostly relied on very basic chord patterns. He was the only one besides Brian, who actually wrote some standards. Carl may have been a more tasteful producer, but I don't rank producing as high as songwriting. In terms of musicianship they were probably equal, even though I imagine Bruce knew more chords. When it came to singing Carl had the advantage of just having a better voice, but Bruce is a good vocalist, I heard him do GOK some years ago and I was pretty amazed at how great his performance was.

I think Al is boring as a producer, at least Bruce is cheesy.

Søren

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »

songs like "Feel Flows" and "Trader" are better than anything Bruce ever wrote.

and he is incapable of writing a song as cool and rockin' as "Susie Cincinnati"

just because he "might" know more chords, doesn't make him more talented. 
If Brian is rock'n'roll's Rachmaninov (as Bruce is so fond of saying), then Bruce is its Shlockmaninov...

yeah i said it.
MBE
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2006, 04:09:25 PM »

Of all but the original 5 Bruce is the one who was/is a true Beach Boy. I am only saying he doesn't match the others talent in my eyes. I don't think it's wrong to disagree with me, it's just taste. If Bruce hadn't come back in 78 I would think a lot higher of him as a Beach Boy. For me what he did from 65-71 is cool. What he's done from 1978 since is well....... He added to the schlock oldies vibe. I don't like his spolied rich kid attitude either, but at other times he seems friendly. Much weirder then Brian I think. IMHO Ricky and Blondie were a lot more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:10:41 PM by MBE » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »

I don't like his thinking of the Beach Boys as "work". Brian, Al and Mike love (haha Mike Love  Grin)  that group beacause it's kinda like their baby. Okay Bruce didn't start the group but he's been with them for so long that I think it should be more than "work"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2006, 05:10:35 PM »

I don't like his thinking of the Beach Boys as "work". Brian, Al and Mike love (haha Mike Love  Grin)  that group beacause it's kinda like their baby. Okay Bruce didn't start the group but he's been with them for so long that I think it should be more than "work"

So true. a 1990 interview with Bruce had him saying one min that Brian was Rachmananoff  and when asked a min later if he owns the Beach Boys records in his collection he spat out why would he want that crap!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:09:51 PM by MBE » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2006, 05:20:40 PM »

So true. a 1990 interview with Bruce had him saying one min that Brian was Rochmaninof (I know it's mispelled) and when asked a min later if he ownes the Beach Boys records in his collection he spat out why would he want that crap!

I posted something like this on a previous thread (I think I was blasting Al Jardine at the time), but no matter which Beach Boy is being interviewed, you can count on some strange or bizarre quote.

It's probably a combination of getting flustered and/or the honest truth leaking out.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »

Proably the latter.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx