gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:40:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100138 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »

Biloxi show- They performed Little Saint Nick .
And- Brian sang 'Forever' in honor of Dennis. And sang it wonderfully!
Who said Brian was 'out of it'? Sure wasn't tonight! He was the first one out, said hello to the crowd, introduced songs and musicians, sang many songs, all in the original key.
He even waved his hands out in front of him, sending Good Vibrations to the appreciative crowd .

Oh what a wonderful night!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

Glad they did "Forever" and always good news when Brian can be in a great place on stage.

The only band members he acknowledged in Rockville were Al & Blondie (of course) and he introduced Darian & Scott B. on Darlin & One Kind of Love.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2015, 07:17:51 AM »

I am seeing them tomorrow in Ft Pierce, 1st time seeing Brian . Looking forward to it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »

Excellent show last night.  Set list not much different from previous shows above, but Blondie was there.

Prayer
Heroes
California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down - Al
Little Deuce Coupe - Al
Girl Don't Tell Me - dedicated to John Lennon
Then I Kissed Her - Al
California Saga - Al
Wild Honey - Blondie
Sail on Sailor - Blondie
Sail Away - Blondie, Al and Brian
Forever
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby - Matt
Darlin - Darian
The Right Time - Al
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Matt
Sloop - Al
Little St Nick- introduced as "a Ronettes song!"
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Encore:
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Help Me Rhonda - Al
Barbara Ann - Al
Love and Mercy

The only song Brian struggled a bit with was God Only Knows.  Highlights for me were Girl Don't Tell Me, Forever, Sail on Sailor, California Saga with Brian singing the opening line, and Little St Nick.  No This Whole World or as I was hoping Wake the World but you "can't always get what you want" as Mikes good buddy Mick used to say.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »

I was at the Biloxi show last night.  I may have run into Bicyclerider and/or NOLA BB Fan and not known it.

I took notes, and I have some songs in a different order from Bicyclerider's list.

After California Saga, I have In My Room through Don't Worry Baby, then One Kind of Love (from NPP), Sail Away, Wild Honey, Sail on Sailor, Darlin', Forever, The Right Time, Do It Again, Pet Sounds, WIBN, Sloop, God Only Knows, and Good Vibrations.

For the encore I have Little Saint Nick, Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Surfin' U.S.A., Fun Fun Fun, and Love and Mercy.

Brian was in good form.  My notes about his "God Only Knows" performance are "Talky, like Rod Stewart."

I got to go to the soundcheck and the meet-and-greet.  As I walked in, they were doing "Forever."  When they finished, Brian said, "Hello, meet-and-greet people."  They did "Forever" again, with Brian saying he'd sing all the verses.  It seemed important to him that he be the one to sing it, and he did an excellent job each time.  Next was "Don't Worry Baby."  Brian stopped it in the first bar--"No!  Too fast!"

After a few more songs, those of us doing the meet-and-greet were dismissed (as were Brian, Al, and Blondie).  We lined up to get into a room next to the stage while the band continued the soundcheck.  "Our Prayer" gave me goosebumps--I could see them on my arms!

We were allowed into the meet-and-greet one party at a time (that is, if a couple came to the show together, they got to go in at the same time).  I got to shake hands with Brian, Al, and Blondie, and I told Brian I was glad he got to finish SMiLE.  He was pleasant, and Al and Blondie were friendly.  I didn't say much more than "I'm glad to meet you" because the setup didn't exactly encourage leisurely hanging around.

At the concert, Brian sang "Girl Don't Tell Me," and I noticed Nicky Wonder (as he was introduced) playing a "Ticket to Ride" lick behind Darian's vibes.  I was amazed at "Wild Honey" with Blondie.  He took two guitar solos, walking all over the stage during each, and Paul (Mertens? Von Mertens?) had a tenor sax solo between Blondie's solos.

Matt Jardine was in the back row at the far left (from the audience's perspective) for most of the show.  He came down front, next to his dad, for "Don't Worry Baby."

More later if anyone's interested ;-)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2015, 11:23:40 AM »

I was at the Biloxi show last night.  I may have run into Bicyclerider and/or NOLA BB Fan and not known it.

I took notes, and I have some songs in a different order from Bicyclerider's list.

After California Saga, I have In My Room through Don't Worry Baby, then One Kind of Love (from NPP), Sail Away, Wild Honey, Sail on Sailor, Darlin', Forever, The Right Time, Do It Again, Pet Sounds, WIBN, Sloop, God Only Knows, and Good Vibrations.

For the encore I have Little Saint Nick, Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Surfin' U.S.A., Fun Fun Fun, and Love and Mercy.

Brian was in good form.  My notes about his "God Only Knows" performance are "Talky, like Rod Stewart."

I got to go to the soundcheck and the meet-and-greet.  As I walked in, they were doing "Forever."  When they finished, Brian said, "Hello, meet-and-greet people."  They did "Forever" again, with Brian saying he'd sing all the verses.  It seemed important to him that he be the one to sing it, and he did an excellent job each time.  Next was "Don't Worry Baby."  Brian stopped it in the first bar--"No!  Too fast!"

After a few more songs, those of us doing the meet-and-greet were dismissed (as were Brian, Al, and Blondie).  We lined up to get into a room next to the stage while the band continued the soundcheck.  "Our Prayer" gave me goosebumps--I could see them on my arms!

We were allowed into the meet-and-greet one party at a time (that is, if a couple came to the show together, they got to go in at the same time).  I got to shake hands with Brian, Al, and Blondie, and I told Brian I was glad he got to finish SMiLE.  He was pleasant, and Al and Blondie were friendly.  I didn't say much more than "I'm glad to meet you" because the setup didn't exactly encourage leisurely hanging around.

At the concert, Brian sang "Girl Don't Tell Me," and I noticed Nicky Wonder (as he was introduced) playing a "Ticket to Ride" lick behind Darian's vibes.  I was amazed at "Wild Honey" with Blondie.  He took two guitar solos, walking all over the stage during each, and Paul (Mertens? Von Mertens?) had a tenor sax solo between Blondie's solos.

Matt Jardine was in the back row at the far left (from the audience's perspective) for most of the show.  He came down front, next to his dad, for "Don't Worry Baby."

Thanks, Mojoman3061 - I enjoyed that rundown of Brian's show.  I love when he just yells out some orders during sound check. Brian misses nothing.  And, I don't think it is really the bona fide sound check in terms of a "real rehearsal" where they cover everything but it is a great event to see a couple of songs that might not be performed.  

Love that he did Forever (on Dennis' b-day) - maybe they will keep that in.  I'd love to see them accompany You Are So Beautiful because Dennis did such a stunning job with it and the audience went crazy.  It sounds like a great setlist and encore with Little St. Nick!  - just so cool. Thanks again for your review.   Wink

(quote from above)
Debbie - How a compliment about a review, ended up as a "gotcha" is beyond me.  #notthebeachboys made a comment, that he did not discuss rationally but just tossed it out to apparently to see what would happen, which got picked up and in the context of half of the sentence - what was left out - misleadingly omitted and the rest of the sentence was "it is a great event to see a couple of songs that might not be perform in the full show."  

So the choice was made to take half a sentence, not use it in context, and create a firestorm where there was none indicated.  I provided a link to what a sound check is which is generic.  I also provided my impression that the sound checks of all three bands, including Brian's, The Touring Band, and C50 were "substantially similar."  That should have substantiated the context and put this unpleasantness to rest.  I sincerely meant no disrespect.  Thanks.

Maybe this place needs the skills of a Henry Kissinger.  All of what I said heaped praise on Brian. Please reread it. It was a generic impression of what the VIP event sound checks are.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:35:32 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

I'm going to be at the concert at the Florida Theater tonight as an early birthday present!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Big-GrinJen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »

WooHoo!  Going to to see the man tonight,  Florida Theatre at 8.  Taking kids- STOKED
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: December 05, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »

WooHoo!  Going to to see the man tonight,  Florida Theatre at 8.  Taking kids- STOKED

I'll be the old guy in the sweater, if you want to find me.  Smiley

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Big-GrinJen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Hey thats great CL!  We are in the lodge i think, will have my 14 year old son, and his younger sister, both lifelong Wilson fans. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »

A Brian Wilson soundcheck is a full soundcheck.  Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 05, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »

I was at the Biloxi show last night.  I may have run into Bicyclerider and/or NOLA BB Fan and not known it.

Brian was in good form.  My notes about his "God Only Knows" performance are "Talky, like Rod Stewart."

I got to go to the soundcheck and the meet-and-greet.  As I walked in, they were doing "Forever."  When they finished, Brian said, "Hello, meet-and-greet people."  They did "Forever" again, with Brian saying he'd sing all the verses.  It seemed important to him that he be the one to sing it, and he did an excellent job each time.  Next was "Don't Worry Baby."  Brian stopped it in the first bar--"No!  Too fast!"

After a few more songs, those of us doing the meet-and-greet were dismissed (as were Brian, Al, and Blondie).  We lined up to get into a room next to the stage while the band continued the soundcheck.  "Our Prayer" gave me goosebumps--I could see them on my arms!

We were allowed into the meet-and-greet one party at a time (that is, if a couple came to the show together, they got to go in at the same time).  I got to shake hands with Brian, Al, and Blondie, and I told Brian I was glad he got to finish SMiLE.  He was pleasant, and Al and Blondie were friendly.  I didn't say much more than "I'm glad to meet you" because the setup didn't exactly encourage leisurely hanging around.

At the concert, Brian sang "Girl Don't Tell Me," and I noticed Nicky Wonder (as he was introduced) playing a "Ticket to Ride" lick behind Darian's vibes.  I was amazed at "Wild Honey" with Blondie.  He took two guitar solos, walking all over the stage during each, and Paul (Mertens? Von Mertens?) had a tenor sax solo between Blondie's solos.

Matt Jardine was in the back row at the far left (from the audience's perspective) for most of the show.  He came down front, next to his dad, for "Don't Worry Baby."

Thanks, Mojoman3061 - I enjoyed that rundown of Brian's show.  I love when he just yells out some orders during sound check. Brian misses nothing.  And, I don't think it is really the bona fide sound check in terms of a "real rehearsal" where they cover everything but it is a great event to see a couple of songs that might not be performed. 

Love that he did Forever (on Dennis' b-day) - maybe they will keep that in.  I'd love to see them accompany You Are So Beautiful because Dennis did such a stunning job with it and the audience went crazy.  It sounds like a great setlist and encore with Little St. Nick!  - just so cool. Thanks again for your review.   Wink

Olkay, I'm confused.  What would a "bona fide sound check" be?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

Thanks, Mojoman3061 - I enjoyed that rundown of Brian's show.  I love when he just yells out some orders during sound check. Brian misses nothing.  And, I don't think it is really the bona fide sound check in terms of a "real rehearsal" where they cover everything but it is a great event to see a couple of songs that might not be performed. 

Love that he did Forever (on Dennis' b-day) - maybe they will keep that in.  I'd love to see them accompany You Are So Beautiful because Dennis did such a stunning job with it and the audience went crazy.  It sounds like a great setlist and encore with Little St. Nick!  - just so cool. Thanks again for your review.   Wink

Olkay, I'm confused.  What would a "bona fide sound check" be?
Debbie -

What I clearly meant, is that the marketed VIP "sound check" and what the musicians do as a "sound check rehearsal" - a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check. 

For example - the Brian - Jeff Beck Tour, I was in the lobby waiting for the "VIP experience" Sound Check" - during that time, while in the lobby, we could hear Blondie rehearsing at sound check (who was not billed to appear but was there) doing Sail on Sailor.  There was a sound check before the "VIP Sound check event."   

This is consistent with many acts who offer a "VIP experience" including a "sound check" but the reality is that the band does their own rehearsal.  I live very close to a major outdoor high profile venue, where one can drive by and listen to any number of "sound checks" done prior to the actual VIP sound check "experience" occurs that appears to the be industry practice.   
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »

Yes I should have mentioned that my order was only approximate as I didn't try to recall all the songs until the next day.  I think I left out Pet Sounds, which was another highlight - Brian said three or four times the next song "is an instrumental no voices."  Just before the song the band played a snatch of the James Bond theme which was a nice insider's joke for the hard core fans.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »

What I clearly meant, is that the marketed VIP "sound check" and what the musicians do as a "sound check rehearsal" - a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  

For example - the Brian - Jeff Beck Tour, I was in the lobby waiting for the "VIP experience" Sound Check" - during that time, while in the lobby, we could hear Blondie rehearsing at sound check (who was not billed to appear but was there) doing Sail on Sailor.  There was a sound check before the "VIP Sound check event."  

This is consistent with many acts who offer a "VIP experience" including a "sound check" but the reality is that the band does their own rehearsal.  I live very close to a major outdoor high profile venue, where one can drive by and listen to any number of "sound checks" done prior to the actual VIP sound check "experience" occurs that appears to the be industry practice.  

You're overthinking it. The whole thing is a soundcheck/rehearsal and they just allow VIPs in for some of it, and Really-VIPs for all of it. It's ALL rehearsal and all useful for the band, especially after a long break. It's not some dog and pony show.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:17:09 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »

filledpage I think that's what Mike and Bruce do for their VIP but I don't know think every band does that. M and B's said they will do certain songs and rarities in sound checks that won't make the shows as an incentive to buy the VIP.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »

Debbie -

What I clearly meant, is that the marketed VIP "sound check" and what the musicians do as a "sound check rehearsal" - a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  

For example - the Brian - Jeff Beck Tour, I was in the lobby waiting for the "VIP experience" Sound Check" - during that time, while in the lobby, we could hear Blondie rehearsing at sound check (who was not billed to appear but was there) doing Sail on Sailor.  There was a sound check before the "VIP Sound check event."  

This is consistent with many acts who offer a "VIP experience" including a "sound check" but the reality is that the band does their own rehearsal.  I live very close to a major outdoor high profile venue, where one can drive by and listen to any number of "sound checks" done prior to the actual VIP sound check "experience" occurs that appears to the be industry practice.  

You're overthinking it. The whole thing is a soundcheck/rehearsal and they just allow VIPs in for some of it, and Really-VIPs for all of it. It's ALL rehearsal and all useful for the band, especially after a long break. It's not some dog and pony show.
Ontor - when I replied to mojoman3061 - it was thanking him for his review of Brian's show. That got lost. Somehow the dissecting and parsing that gets spun out of control.  I look through a different lens. Another thread-jack. This was a compliment to another fellow poster.  

And, I fully stand by what I wrote. I am over-thinking nothing.  Just thinking through all the levels of what a ticket to an event is.

1 - You buy a show ticket and you are a licensee to be admitted to a venue for a certain amount of time.  

2 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket = enhanced admission privilege.  You leave after the sound check.  Your license expired.  You come back for the full performance.

3 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket + VIP photo op = super-enhanced status license to be in the venue.  You are buying a license to participate in an "event."  You leave after the photo session. Your license expired.   And then you come back for the performance.

Generally the enhanced event or VIP tickets are limited to a small subset of the overall ticket holders.  They are often a marketing tool used by promoters.

So, it is an "event" - and if you are invited by the band to "sound check" - more likely than not you will be seeing a rehearsal, which is longer in length than an "event" sound check, more ad-libbed and less scripted than a sound check "event" as part of a marketed "experience." And has a setlist that is planned.  

Are they enjoyable?  Of course.  Do you sometimes hear a few extra songs?  Yes, you do.  (My heart nearly stopped  hearing Brian do "I'm Waiting for the Day" during the Brian-Beck sound check.)

Black's Law Dictionary 6th ed. "Ticket - in contracts, a slip of paper containing a certificate that the person to whom it is issued, or the holder, is entitled to some right or privilege therein mentioned or described..."(theater tickets are included.)  

Personally, when I was helping run school music performances, we needed to do "sound check" or rehearsal so that kids who were used to singing only in a classroom learned to project into a large space such as an auditorium, not be afraid to look up into the gallery area, smile (pun intended) and become acclimated with the mic placement, for certain singers who would be doing an introduction, leading the group or doing a solo.  It is not the BB's but a "sound check" none the less.  I would bring my classes in to the auditorium, more often with my "enhanced poetic license" so they got used to going up and down the stage stairs safety (4 and 5 year olds.) A big space they aren't used to can be a little scary for a small child.  

The general definition is

http://musicians.about.com/od/glossary/g/soundcheck.htm

Hope it copies.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:27:26 AM by filledeplage » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: December 06, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »

Sure. I'm just saying if you pay for VIP access, generally you only see a portion of the rehearsals and the actual VIPs get to watch more of it. Both are bonafide rehearsals, there's no difference. They don't suddenly stop soundchecking and actually rehearsing in favor of some mini-concert for the well-heeled. They continue rehearsing! Here's what I'm quibbling with:

" a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  "

I don't agree with this at all. At least for the BW band, It's ALL a soundcheck/rehearsal, not a showcase. VIPs who pay only get to watch some of it. VIPs who actually ARE VIPs or their friends are often welcome to watch the whole thing.

You don't have to tell me what a soundcheck is. I've filmed bands for almost 20 years or so, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:24:06 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 06, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »

Sure. I'm just saying if you pay for VIP access, generally you only see a portion of the rehearsals and the actual VIPs get to watch more of it. Both are bonafide rehearsals. Here's what I'm quibbling with:

" a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  "

I don't agree with this at all. At least for the BW band, It's ALL a soundcheck/rehearsal, not a showcase. VIPs who pay only get to watch some of it. VIPs who actually ARE VIPs or their friends are often welcome to watch the whole thing.

You don't have to tell me what a soundcheck is. I've filmed bands for almost 20 years or so, thanks.
Ontor - reasonable minds can differ. 

Of course there is a difference between classes of VIP's.  That goes without saying. Legally, a "VIP experience" is a special event license. 

My post was a hats-off to the poster who saw Brian's show the other night.  What was written was delightful. This parsing, not so much.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »

Debbie -

Ontor - when I replied to mojoman3061 - it was thanking him for his review of Brian's show. That got lost. Somehow the dissecting and parsing that gets spun out of control.  I look through a different lens. Another thread-jack. This was a compliment to another fellow poster.  

And, I fully stand by what I wrote. I am over-thinking nothing.  Just thinking through all the levels of what a ticket to an event is.

1 - You buy a show ticket and you are a licensee to be admitted to a venue for a certain amount of time.  

2 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket = enhanced admission privilege.  You leave after the sound check.  Your license expired.  You come back for the full performance.

3 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket + VIP photo op = super-enhanced status license to be in the venue.  You are buying a license to participate in an "event."  You leave after the photo session. Your license expired.   And then you come back for the performance.

Generally the enhanced event or VIP tickets are limited to a small subset of the overall ticket holders.  They are often a marketing tool used by promoters.

So, it is an "event" - and if you are invited by the band to "sound check" - more likely than not you will be seeing a rehearsal, which is longer in length than an "event" sound check, more ad-libbed and less scripted than a sound check "event" as part of a marketed "experience." And has a setlist that is planned.  

Are they enjoyable?  Of course.  Do you sometimes hear a few extra songs?  Yes, you do.  (My heart nearly stopped  hearing Brian do "I'm Waiting for the Day" during the Brian-Beck sound check.)

Black's Law Dictionary 6th ed. "Ticket - in contracts, a slip of paper containing a certificate that the person to whom it is issued, or the holder, is entitled to some right or privilege therein mentioned or described..."(theater tickets are included.)  

Personally, when I was helping run school music performances, we needed to do "sound check" or rehearsal so that kids who were used to singing only in a classroom learned to project into a large space such as an auditorium, not be afraid to look up into the gallery area, smile (pun intended) and become acclimated with the mic placement, for certain singers who would be doing an introduction, leading the group or doing a solo.  It is not the BB's but a "sound check" none the less.  I would bring my classes in to the auditorium, more often with my "enhanced poetic license" so they got used to going up and down the stage stairs safety (4 and 5 year olds.) A big space they aren't used to can be a little scary for a small child.  

Hope it copies.  Wink

Who exactly thread-jacked this?  People were discussing their experiences at Brian's shows, and suddenly they weren't getting a "bona fide soundcheck," whatever that is, according to your definition.  Apparently, you're trying to legally define it here.  Why not start this on another, appropriate thread?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »

Filledeplage, wrong tho in the case of the BW band. Legal definitions don't enter into it. It's all rehearsals/soundchecks, VIPs are just getting access to a portion of it because not many fans want to sit around watching five versions of Our Prayer, three Runaway Dancers, 2 Don't Worry Babys, Heroes and Villains stopping and starting for half an hour, etc. If a certain song needs more work, they work on it. If it doesn't, BW will abruptly shut them down and move on to the next one. There's no difference between the earlier rehearsing and the ones watched by a paying audience. It's not a mini-concert. Even if it is a real treat to watch if you're an obsessive!

You really think Brian Wilson has the patience to sit through a real rehearsal then do a fake one, THEN do the show? Yeah, no.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:04:44 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »

Debbie -

Hope it copies.  Wink

Who exactly thread-jacked this?  People were discussing their experiences at Brian's shows, and suddenly they weren't getting a "bona fide soundcheck," whatever that is, according to your definition.  Apparently, you're trying to legally define it here.  Why not start this on another, appropriate thread?
Debbie - this is making a mountain out of a molehill in my view. The overall gist of what I wrote was both a compliment to the poster, and Brian's performance.

"Thread jacking," is a board behavior that has systematically and continuously degraded the quality of this forum.  You responded to the interjection of  "#notthebeachboys" (the more recent Smile Brian) post.  

They got a "sound check" that was likely different from a band rehearsal and as part of a purchased "sound check" package that is now becoming an music "industry standard." It is a special event and it has legal significance, as among the varying degrees of permission to experience a level that is above and beyond the main event admission level.  

It is not confined to Brian's band, or The Touring Band, or The Beach Boys C50.  Nothing is personalized here, meant as an offense, nor should be taken as an offense.  I did not hit an "ignore button" for the most offensive handle #notthebeachboys which is absolutely a pejorative term targeted to be offensive.  

So, I can buy a "sound check" ticket for Brittany Spears.  I know full well, that it is not a full rehearsal.  I know it is a "highlights" event.  Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?  They are so competent and exacting that they are doing "phrasing" of individual songs as I did teaching music.  

This "behavior" and not "content" or "perspective" needs to be addressed.  It is a distraction from the music.  And it suggests that it is "ratified" or tolerated/endorsed by the powers-that-be.  There is no need for a separate thread.  

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:37 AM »

Filledeplage, wrong tho in the case of the BW band. Legal definitions don't enter into it. It's all rehearsals/soundchecks, VIPs are just getting access to a portion of it because not many fans want to sit around watching five versions of Our Prayer, three Runaway Dancers, 2 Don't Worry Babys, Heroes and Villains stopping and starting for half an hour, etc. If a certain song needs more work, they work on it. If it doesn't, BW will abruptly shut them down and move on to the next one. It's not a mini-concert. Even if it is a real treat to watch if you're an obsessive!

You really think Brian Wilson has the patience to sit through a real rehearsal then do a fake one, THEN do the show? Yeah, no.

ontor - I've seen enough sound checks (of many kinds) to know that Brian (as is the Touring Band) is exacting and isn't going to have his/their work messed up and have seen him call out any number of people to make sure that does not happen. 

Reasonable minds will differ.  Wink

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »

Filledeplage, wrong tho in the case of the BW band. Legal definitions don't enter into it. It's all rehearsals/soundchecks, VIPs are just getting access to a portion of it because not many fans want to sit around watching five versions of Our Prayer, three Runaway Dancers, 2 Don't Worry Babys, Heroes and Villains stopping and starting for half an hour, etc. If a certain song needs more work, they work on it. If it doesn't, BW will abruptly shut them down and move on to the next one. It's not a mini-concert. Even if it is a real treat to watch if you're an obsessive!

ontor - I've seen enough sound checks (of many kinds) to know that Brian (as is the Touring Band) is exacting and isn't going to have his/their work messed up and have seen him call out any number of people to make sure that does not happen.  And will rehearse accordingly to that end.  Apart from a VIP "experience."  I think you are taking offense where none is meant. 

In teaching we have this amusing phrase..."We will do it over and over until you get it right."  LOL

Reasonable minds will differ.  Wink

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »

So, I can buy a "sound check" ticket for Brittany Spears.  I know full well, that it is not a full rehearsal.  I know it is a "highlights" event.  Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?      

A soundcheck is not a rehearsal. A soundcheck is what it sounds like -- a way to check the sound in the venue, get the balance right, and so on.
Often that will be used as an excuse to rehearse songs that will be added to the set, or where the band have been having difficulty with it, but a soundcheck is not itself a rehearsal, nor is it intended to be.
I've heard many, *many* soundchecks (not by getting VIP packages or anything like that -- by turning up to gigs early and knowing where to stand near the venue in order to hear them, and half a dozen songs is not at all unusual for a full soundcheck.
Note that I'm not saying anything at all about how much of the soundcheck VIP ticket holders get to be present for -- I wouldn't know, having never bought one -- but they're not rehearsals, and they don't serve the same purpose.
(I believe that at many Mike & Bruce soundchecks -- at least until they started selling tickets for them -- Mike didn't even turn up, as someone else could check his mic for him, while he *would* turn up for a rehearsal).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx