gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:57:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100136 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »

Al's just going business casual with the sneakers. With the exception of Bruce's shorts, most anything these guys have worn on stage in the last decade and a half has bettered the pit of despair known as the 80s and 90s:

I was reading back on this thread and saw this, and have to ask. Is Brian wearing jammies? If so, do they have footsies?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »

I will never understand why Mike thought it was ok for a guy pushing 50 to be going practically shirtless
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Just a few quick comments regarding the Durham, NC concert. It was one of the most receptive concerts Brian has probably witnessed all tour. Standing ovations for almost all the songs. Everyone stayed on their feet for the encore. Loud applauses for God Only Knows, Sail on Sailor, and some of the others. It was a sold out show! I attended the soundcheck, and Brian walked off in the middle of it. I was worried he wouldn't be feeling up to par during the show, but man was he engaged on stage.

He would sing his heart out on some songs, Add Some Music, Drive In, Love and Mercy's "A lot of people getting shot and it really scares me." He even told an assistant to turn the volume up on Al's guitar before a song. He even played around with some of his vocal parts during the song.

This is the best any Beach Boy related concert can get. The band is superb, Brian is older but still strong, Blondie jams out and continues to engage the crowd.

It amazed me that a southern town could be so strong Brian fans. I noticed a lot were super-fans. Durham is fortunately located in a cultural/artistically refined part of the State.

At the VIP meet and greet, I showed the guys my Radiant Radish shirt. Blondie and Al commented "Wow! So obscure," and Brian takes a few seconds, looks up at me as if he wanted to say something, and then it was time for the picture. I said "welcome to North Carolina" and Brian says "Alright!"

Almost didn't get into the concert after winning the Instagram concert, the box office didn't have my tickets on file. Thankfully one of Brian's guys got it situated last minute.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »

Just a few quick comments regarding the Durham, NC concert. It was one of the most receptive concerts Brian has probably witnessed all tour. Standing ovations for almost all the songs. Everyone stayed on their feet for the encore. Loud applauses for God Only Knows, Sail on Sailor, and some of the others. It was a sold out show! I attended the soundcheck, and Brian walked off in the middle of it. I was worried he wouldn't be feeling up to par during the show, but man was he engaged on stage.

He would sing his heart out on some songs, Add Some Music, Drive In, Love and Mercy's "A lot of people getting shot and it really scares me." He even told an assistant to turn the volume up on Al's guitar before a song. He even played around with some of his vocal parts during the song.

This is the best any Beach Boy related concert can get. The band is superb, Brian is older but still strong, Blondie jams out and continues to engage the crowd.

It amazed me that a southern town could be so strong Brian fans. I noticed a lot were super-fans. Durham is fortunately located in a cultural/artistically refined part of the State.

At the VIP meet and greet, I showed the guys my Radiant Radish shirt. Blondie and Al commented "Wow! So obscure," and Brian takes a few seconds, looks up at me as if he wanted to say something, and then it was time for the picture. I said "welcome to North Carolina" and Brian says "Alright!"

Almost didn't get into the concert after winning the Instagram concert, the box office didn't have my tickets on file. Thankfully one of Brian's guys got it situated last minute.
Cool! I'm glad it was so great!
I will get a chance to go to the Pet Sounds show in Austin this spring, but won't make this tour. But it's great to read the mini-reviews. Thank you!
Durham's in that famous triangle, yes? There's a lot going on in that region.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »

Great review, we're really spoiled by this band. I hope before the Pet Sounds madness next year they manage to get this lineup in the studio and get Blondie in there on guitar with the band playing "live" before endless vocal work. Needed for a "rock n roll album."

Dual Jardines really lift BW's music. A show with both Our Prayer AND Drive-In? SPOILED.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:21:18 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2015, 08:32:01 PM »

I will never understand why Mike thought it was ok for a guy pushing 50 to be going practically shirtless

Shocked Shocked Never understand?? You don't know about myKe luHv's larger than the universe ego at this late date? Huh? Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »

RubberSoul, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you enjoy Brian's show.

I attended the Durham show last night as well and will just back up what NickandthePassions said. This was the third show of Brian's I've seen this year (Fox Theatre in Atlanta and The National in Virginia being the other two) and it was great for some different songs to show up in the set. Brian seemed to enjoy himself most singing Drive In and Add Some Music. Anytime I can hear Wake The World live is a plus in my book. I really hope with the Pet Sounds tour next year Brian keeps Blondie on tour with them. At all 3 shows I've been amazed out how much Blondie's rock&roll attitude and sound bumps the show up a notch.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »

Aw shoot, Rubbersoul, I'm so sorry I missed your post (I was reading back pages of the thread and didn't read the most recent). I feel bad for posting something goofy so soon after your sad news.
That sounds like a really tough day and a half (and probably quite a while before that). I hope you find some serenity and peace as well as a groove at the show, and get some sleep, and mend.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:39:30 PM by Emily » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 20, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »

Thank you all again for the well wishes. It was indeed where I needed to be. My girlfriend accompanied me and I saw many friends and familiar faces...both in the crowd and on the stage  Smiley

I lost it during "Add Some Music" and "Love and Mercy"...hit me hard today.

A few notes...they took an intermission. Brian was in great spirits in the first set...this seemed to fade quickly through the second set. By the time they reached "Pet Sounds" it was very clear that he was not engaged. I think the band needs to do some serious thinking on how to tailor the show in order to bring out the best with him all the way through, even if that means an hour set and they do more co-headliner type tours.

The ballads work best for him right now. Basically anything that was recorded with a Mike Love lead vocal but had Brian tonight was noticeably slower in tempo, and he still wasn't getting all the words out. Why go through this? There's just an expansive catalog of music that Brian can handle with ease, plus Al's voice is spotless. His voice is truly a miracle and it deserves more attention in the show. Speaking of attention...Blondie f'-ing Chaplin. That was exciting! "Wild Honey" kicked major ass...as did his gypsy queen tambourine dances on and off stage. We waited by the tour buses for about an hour after the show. Never saw Brian leave. He had to have walked off stage and straight onto the bus. Blondie spent a lot of time out with the fans. I waited out of the way with a smaller group and he waltzed over. He signed my ticket, I told him "Wild Honey" was the best and he paused looked up and went...".....YEAH!" very enthusiastically! By the way, the particular odor I was picking up from him did a lot of explaining for the tambourine dances.......  Cool Guy

I was able to talk to Scott Bennett & Darian for a bit. Darian was wearing a Zombies shirt which I complimented, and he returned it on my BB's shirt! And lastly, Mr. Al Jardine made his way out. He had a big crowd following him and he was moving fast. I managed my way into the center of the herd next to him and asked him to sign my C50 meet and greet pic (already signed by Mike (x2), Bruce, and David) he said "if you're heading the way I am!" and I said "I can do that!" which got a very large chuckle out of him! Now my picture just needs the elusive Mr. Wilson's signature.

Well, those weren't a few quick notes were they? I hope my comments above don't come off as derogatory, I just think they're points worth discussing in this thread. The majority of the concert was sensational. Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains, Blondie Chaplin, Add Some Music, Love and Mercy were the highlights. Thank you all again. Up to the funeral parlor this morning for our next steps.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:47 PM »

I thank you all for the positive thoughts and vibrations. At 10:55 this morning, we lost my uncle. It was an very peaceful end to a long and complicated battle. He was 46 and has faced a never-ending list of medical problems all his life. My family is insisting I attend tonight. A Brian Wilson concert will be a very special form of music therapy.

Deepest sympathy. So young… it never seems right.

I hope the music was healing and that it has helped you face matters renewed.

“We live in divisive times.”
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2015, 05:15:29 AM »

Thank you all again for the well wishes. It was indeed where I needed to be. My girlfriend accompanied me and I saw many friends and familiar faces...both in the crowd and on the stage  Smiley

A few notes...they took an intermission. Brian was in great spirits in the first set...this seemed to fade quickly through the second set. By the time they reached "Pet Sounds" it was very clear that he was not engaged. I think the band needs to do some serious thinking on how to tailor the show in order to bring out the best with him all the way through, even if that means an hour set and they do more co-headliner type tours.

The ballads work best for him right now. Basically anything that was recorded with a Mike Love lead vocal but had Brian tonight was noticeably slower in tempo, and he still wasn't getting all the words out. Why go through this? There's just an expansive catalog of music that Brian can handle with ease, plus Al's voice is spotless. His voice is truly a miracle and it deserves more attention in the show. Speaking of attention...Blondie f'-ing Chaplin. That was exciting! "Wild Honey" kicked major ass...as did his gypsy queen tambourine dances on and off stage. We waited by the tour buses for about an hour after the show. Never saw Brian leave. He had to have walked off stage and straight onto the bus. Blondie spent a lot of time out with the fans. I waited out of the way with a smaller group and he waltzed over. He signed my ticket, I told him "Wild Honey" was the best and he paused looked up and went...".....YEAH!" very enthusiastically! By the way, the particular odor I was picking up from him did a lot of explaining for the tambourine dances.......  Cool Guy

I was able to talk to Scott Bennett & Darian for a bit. Darian was wearing a Zombies shirt which I complimented, and he returned it on my BB's shirt! And lastly, Mr. Al Jardine made his way out. He had a big crowd following him and he was moving fast. I managed my way into the center of the herd next to him and asked him to sign my C50 meet and greet pic (already signed by Mike (x2), Bruce, and David) he said "if you're heading the way I am!" and I said "I can do that!" which got a very large chuckle out of him! Now my picture just needs the elusive Mr. Wilson's signature.

Well, those weren't a few quick notes were they? I hope my comments above don't come off as derogatory, I just think they're points worth discussing in this thread. The majority of the concert was sensational. Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains, Blondie Chaplin, Add Some Music, Love and Mercy were the highlights. Thank you all again. Up to the funeral parlor this morning for our next steps.
Great review! Glad you enjoyed it and it meant so much to you. Don't really have much to add, probably the best Brian and Al show I've seen this year, guess I saved the best for last!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »

Rubbersoul- thanks for the review. It sounds like Brian was really up the previous night. Perhaps two nights in a row wears him out. My mom's about his age and I'm sure couldn't make it through an 8th of a show. And what you said is not derogatory at all.
I hope the funeral was bearable. On the one occasion that I've been to a funeral for a very close family member, I found it cathartic.
Best wishes.
KDS
« Reply #362 on: November 23, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »

I had second row seats for the Rockville show.  Unfortunately, due to the angle I was on, I could only see the top of Brian's head during the majority of the set, so I really can't comment on how he was engaged. 

I thought his voice sounded a little off during Heroes and Villains, but it seemed to get better as the show went on. 

The band was great as usual.  Blondie was in another world (probably in more ways than one).  Al's voice was great as normal. 

If I had to choice, I probably enjoyed the Philly show slightly more.  Mainly because I could see Brian the whole show, and the fact that Surf's Up was in the set in Philly. 

But, both shows were great. 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »

Some dates for the Australia & New Zealand Tour in March/April 2016 announced and tickets on sale now through Ticketmaster:

Saturday 26th March: Civic Theatre, Auckland

Bluesfest Byron Bay

Sunday 3rd April: Palais Theatre, Melbourne

Tuesday 5th April: Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide

Thursday 7th April: Riverside Theatre, Perth

Sydney dates and venue to be announced.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 28, 2015, 12:35:32 AM »

Sydney date announced:

Sydney Opera House - Tuesday, 29 March. Tickets on sale 10.00am Friday, 4th December through Ticketmaster.

Pre and post show drinks at the Ship Inn, Circular Quay. Get together venue and date to be advised.

Tony

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2015, 01:07:02 AM »

Sydney date announced:

Sydney Opera House - Tuesday, 29 March. Tickets on sale 10.00am Friday, 4th December through Ticketmaster.

Pre and post show drinks at the Ship Inn, Circular Quay. Get together venue and date to be advised.

Tony

Nice one, Tony! Rock!

I'm sure you guys will have a hoot, and then some, and I'm sure Moz has his bags packed already.

I've bagged some 4th row seats for the Melbourne gig (I almost bagged row B earlier in the day, but I was on a plane and the hostess type made me turn my phone off).  If any Melbourne types are interested in a drink at the Espy beforehand or know of other "gaths", let me know - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: November 30, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »

"Little Saint Nick" made it into the 11/28 Reno setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/atlantis-casino-resort-reno-nv-3f2ad6b.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

Cool. 

Even though it was just prior to Thanksgiving, I was hoping for a Christmas song or two at the Rockville show since the BB Xmas Album is one of my top 2 favorite Xmas albums of all time. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »

Cool. 

Even though it was just prior to Thanksgiving, I was hoping for a Christmas song or two at the Rockville show since the BB Xmas Album is one of my top 2 favorite Xmas albums of all time. 

On the one hand, post-Thanksgiving seems like the opportune time for the material. On the other hand, I remember Brian doing "Little Saint Nick" on the summer 2005 US "Smile" tour!

Meanwhile, it looks like the following night, 11/29 in Chico, CA featured the same setlist as Reno, including "Little Saint Nick." Weird that interest here in Brian's tour is dropping off so sharply. I dunno if it's because he's playing different markets/cities/venues or what.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »

Cool. 

On the one hand, post-Thanksgiving seems like the opportune time for the material. On the other hand, I remember Brian doing "Little Saint Nick" on the summer 2005 US "Smile" tour!

Meanwhile, it looks like the following night, 11/29 in Chico, CA featured the same setlist as Reno, including "Little Saint Nick." Weird that interest here in Brian's tour is dropping off so sharply. I dunno if it's because he's playing different markets/cities/venues or what.

Yeah, I like to wait until after Thanksgiving to hear Xmas songs, but I'd have taken it live the week prior. 

I noticed the Fall thread hasn't been nearly as active as the summer thread.  Maybe posters here all went to the Summer Tour. 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »

Public sale for the Sydney Opera House show open today to an almost sold out concert hall.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »

On the other hand, I remember Brian doing "Little Saint Nick" on the summer 2005 US "Smile" tour!

Also did it on the UK 2005 summer tour, including his iconic Glastonbury set !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »

I hope some folks still have some reports from the final shows on this tour.

In the meantime, I've also started a thread for the 2016 tour:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23121.0.html

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

I'm in Biloxi now for the concert tonight!  I'll report back tomorrow.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

I'm in Biloxi now for the concert tonight!  I'll report back tomorrow.

Yell out for Al to do "Christmas Day!"

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx