gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:20:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100278 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »

Anyone think they will still perform songs from NPP?  I know the two people I'm bringing will be disappointed if they don't, me included.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »

Anyone think they will still perform songs from NPP?  I know the two people I'm bringing will be disappointed if they don't, me included.

At the San Francisco show last month, they did “Sail Away”, “The Right Time”, and “One Kind of Love.” I would suspect these will stay in the setlist, especially for the gigs with Blondie in the case of “Sail Away.” “One Kind of Love” seems especially likely given the tie-in with the movie.

I wouldn’t especially expect *more* NPP songs. I think we maxed out at four on the Summer tour; they eventually dropped “Runaway Dancer.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled. 

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they. 

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.   

Hang in there. I’ve had moments like that. I think a lot of us understand precisely the type of suck this sort of thing is. It’s not life-threatening, but it’s beyond simply a little bummer. I’ve had experiences like that; the most joyous thing turning into the biggest bummer.

I know it won’t help, but I for one always feel that having the recordings, the music, at home to listen to any time, having that is always immensely more important than a concert.

Thanks, it was really nice to read that.  Yes, it is way beyond simply a little bummer. 

I know what you mean about having the music to listen to and I get it, but I've always thought the concert is THE thing, unvarnished, immediate and real.  And the sound of it when you're there in person, oh man, THE SOUND!  Nothing compares.  I was lucky enough to see them in July in a small concert hall, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »

I suspect we'll get the same three we had for the majority of the summer from the new LP. I'll be surprised if more than 2-3 songs from the summer set are changed for this evening.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

I suspect we'll get the same three we had for the majority of the summer from the new LP. I'll be surprised if more than 2-3 songs from the summer set are changed for this evening.

At the risk of overanalyzing, I’d also say that the beginning of a tour, and especially because the first two gigs are essentially stand-alone before another 10-day gap, will tend to have a less adventurous setlist. Also, sometimes when a temporary fill-in like Billy comes in, the band might be less likely to do anything far out or adventurous. That’s not to say Billy can’t learn and play anything (he was part of Al’s band when they did some rare cuts, and he’s been on tour with Brian before). But they probably aren’t doing intensive weeks-long rehearsals before these first two gigs. It’s a bit like how Al’s various solo shows over the years have usually been more meat-and-potatoes numbers, because he’s not always using exactly the same set of musicians, and they haven’t been touring non-stop for weeks and months, so there isn’t time to add a ton of weird stuff.

I would expect these first two shows especially to have, not surprisingly, a relatively similar setlist to the September San Francisco show. They’ll probably swap out Darian’s two leads (“This Whole World” and “Darlin’”) for something else, and maybe a few other things will change a bit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled.  

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they.  

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.  

Hang in there. I’ve had moments like that. I think a lot of us understand precisely the type of suck this sort of thing is. It’s not life-threatening, but it’s beyond simply a little bummer. I’ve had experiences like that; the most joyous thing turning into the biggest bummer.

I know it won’t help, but I for one always feel that having the recordings, the music, at home to listen to any time, having that is always immensely more important than a concert.

Thanks, it was really nice to read that.  Yes, it is way beyond simply a little bummer.  

I know what you mean about having the music to listen to and I get it, but I've always thought the concert is THE thing, unvarnished, immediate and real.  And the sound of it when you're there in person, oh man, THE SOUND!  Nothing compares.  I was lucky enough to see them in July in a small concert hall, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.  

I, too, know how that goes.  Back in '08 I had planned to see Brian and band in Chicago, a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.  I had figured out where I was going to park, what train I was going to take downtown, everything.  Then, an acquaintance, who used to post here occasionally and who was friends with some of the band members, managed to get me a backstage pass for an after-show meet n' greet.  I was on cloud nine.  The day before the show, my employer mandated that I work that day, and I was told that I would be terminated if I didn't show up.  Well, I was crushed.  I managed to sell my ticket, but at a loss.  I still have the backstage pass, though, unused.  

P.S.  If one of the band members is reading this, can I use this old backstage pass when you guys play in Appleton on November 12th?  please  Wink
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:24:58 AM by LostArt » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »

I also hadn't thought about it, it may not be particularly likely, but I'm curious if Brian might sing a Lennon-related song of some sort tonight. Al was involved in the deal in New York yesterday.

I don't know how much I need to see Brian sing a Lennon song, but someone has to un-do the 1983 BB tour performances of "Imagine."  3D

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled. 

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they. 

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.   

Thanks, it was really nice to read that.  Yes, it is way beyond simply a little bummer. 

I know what you mean about having the music to listen to and I get it, but I've always thought the concert is THE thing, unvarnished, immediate and real.  And the sound of it when you're there in person, oh man, THE SOUND!  Nothing compares.  I was lucky enough to see them in July in a small concert hall, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. 

I, too, know how that goes.  Back in '08 I had planned to see Brian and band in Chicago, a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.  I had figured out where I was going to park, what train I was going to take downtown, everything.  Then, an acquaintance, who used to post here occasionally and who was friends with some of the band members, managed to get me a backstage pass for an after-show meet n' greet.  I was on cloud nine.  The day before the show, my employer mandated that I work that day, and they told that I would be terminated if I didn't show up.  Well, I was crushed.  I managed to sell my ticket, but at a loss.  I still have the backstage pass, though, unused. 

Personally, if at all possible I'd  have found ways to negatively impact my employer at every chance, if it could be done without impacting my own position

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »

Pissing in their desk works.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »

I also hadn't thought about it, it may not be particularly likely, but I'm curious if Brian might sing a Lennon-related song of some sort tonight. Al was involved in the deal in New York yesterday.

I don't know how much I need to see Brian sing a Lennon song, but someone has to un-do the 1983 BB tour performances of "Imagine."  3D

I doubt he'll sing any of Lennon's material, but mentioning the birthday wouldn't be too much of a surprise...although if I could pick a Lennon solo numbe for this band to do.....I'd go with "Cold Turkey". I can hear Blondie ripping on it already!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled.  

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they.  

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.  

Thanks, it was really nice to read that.  Yes, it is way beyond simply a little bummer.  

I know what you mean about having the music to listen to and I get it, but I've always thought the concert is THE thing, unvarnished, immediate and real.  And the sound of it when you're there in person, oh man, THE SOUND!  Nothing compares.  I was lucky enough to see them in July in a small concert hall, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.  

I, too, know how that goes.  Back in '08 I had planned to see Brian and band in Chicago, a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.  I had figured out where I was going to park, what train I was going to take downtown, everything.  Then, an acquaintance, who used to post here occasionally and who was friends with some of the band members, managed to get me a backstage pass for an after-show meet n' greet.  I was on cloud nine.  The day before the show, my employer mandated that I work that day, and I was told that I would be terminated if I didn't show up.  Well, I was crushed.  I managed to sell my ticket, but at a loss.  I still have the backstage pass, though, unused.  

P.S.  If one of the band members is reading this, can I use this old backstage pass when you guys play in Appleton on November 12th?  please  Wink

They say misery loves company but that story was almost too much for me...like you say, it's like going from cloud nine to rock-bottom.  Poor you. 

I keep looking at the tickets I won't be using on Saturday night and it's driving me nuts.  I couldn't handle looking at an unused backstage pass! 

Have fun at the show in Appleton!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »

haven't seen this mentioned: 
Anyone that has Instagram ( I don't) can enter a contest to win two tickets, soundcheck access and meet Brian:  http://www.brianwilson.com/instagram

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2015, 12:38:26 AM »

The setlist for 10/9 is up at setlists.fm:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/the-colden-auditorium-queens-college-flushing-ny-53f40f05.html

They did "Do It Again" which they didn't do during the summer. The two "Friends" songs didn't make the cut. Otherwise a variation on the summer setlists.

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2015, 05:08:11 AM »

Who's going tonight..!?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2015, 05:45:37 AM »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/the-colden-auditorium-queens-college-flushing-ny-53f40f05.html

They did "Do It Again" which they didn't do during the summer. The two "Friends" songs didn't make the cut. Otherwise a variation on the summer setlists.

The song selections are fine...but I fail to grasp the reasoning behind the two set structure? The second set is so short!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »

The song selections are fine...but I fail to grasp the reasoning behind the two set structure? The second set is so short!

That's definitely the first time this year they've broken it up into two sets with an intermission, if the setlist is accurate.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »

A second set structure should allow for more songs.  Maybe they could add Surf's Up, Wake the World, Busy Doin' Nothin, Cottonfields, Runaway Dancer which were all played on the first leg of the tour.

Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »

They should drop a lot of the Mike Love lead vocal tracks, since Al & Brian have other songs that are good. Mike sings Mikes leads in concert, yet Brian sings Mikes too...I can hear the original voice with The Beach Boys. I want to hear Brian sing Brians leads!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

They should drop a lot of the Mike Love lead vocal tracks, since Al & Brian have other songs that are good. Mike sings Mikes leads in concert, yet Brian sings Mikes too...I can hear the original voice with The Beach Boys. I want to hear Brian sing Brians leads!
I feel the same way with a couple of exceptions, Al does an amazing job on the car songs I must say. The other Mike leads especially Do It Again, Brian just doesn't seem to have it, I love him and I'm sorry but that's how I feel haha. Even Funx3 Cal Girls and Surfin' USA could go or have Al sing them but I don't think either one of those things will ever happen.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »

I feel the same way with a couple of exceptions, Al does an amazing job on the car songs I must say. The other Mike leads especially Do It Again, Brian just doesn't seem to have it, I love him and I'm sorry but that's how I feel haha. Even Funx3 Cal Girls and Surfin' USA could go or have Al sing them but I don't think either one of those things will ever happen.

Agreed with both for the most part. Brian's concerts don't need any of the songs in the encore (except Help Me Rhonda, if he has Al!) or the car songs, or Do it Again.....California Girls is the only one I think fits in nicely and Brian delivers it at a consistently great level, plus the band blows it away.

Hopefully the second set grows as the tour does too.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »

I just got home from the show. I'm really, really tired, but had a great time. I believe this is the correct setlist:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
I Get Around
Then I Kissed Her
California Saga: California
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Darlin' (I don't remember precisely when they played Darlin', I think it was at this point in the set)
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations

Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

I think that's everything. I'm just going by memory, so maybe I missed one or two, but I don't think so.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:10:38 PM by ppk700 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »

Without Darian there, who sang "Darlin'"? Did they hand it back to Brian in the lower key like he's done in the past?

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »

Scott Bennett and Billy Hinsche did "Darlin'"; Scott sang the high parts and Billy sang the low parts.

It was great to have Billy there, but as he hinted in that press release from Howie Edelson, he certainly did seem to have some trouble with the keyboard and getting the appropriate sounds for each song. For example, before "Then I Kissed Her," Billy clearly had no idea what setting to put the keyboard on, and the band stalled ever so briefly for Scott to get Billy's keyboard settings just right.

The mixing/sound for some of the songs wasn't the greatest... unfortunately, on "Wild Honey," the guitars were nearly inaudible (at least to my girlfriend and I), drowned out by the keyboard imitating the theremin part. But man... "Sail On, Sailor" ROCKED.

Tonight was my first time ever seeing Brian and his band... it was a thrill. Brian seemed to be in great spirits and joked right before "Darlin'" (and I paraphrase here) "this song is gonna knock the g*dd*mn walls down!!"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:25:38 PM by ppk700 » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »

Did Matt sing She Knows Me Too Well??
Big Daddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »

I was at tonight's show. I doled out the extra cash for the VIP package with the sound check. ppk700's list is pretty darn accurate from what I can recall from memory. At the sound check they also played You Still Believe in Me (and it sounded great). I think they'll be adding that to upcoming setlists. To answer GuyO's question they didn't play She Knows Me Too Well.

I'll start with the good:
1. Soundcheck far surpassed anything I was expecting. Granted I don't have much concert experience, let alone VIP experience. There were about 15 of us and I was sitting in the front row taking video of Brian and Al from a few feet away and singing along. They played a couple complete songs and it was like a mini private concert of sorts. Simply blew me away. I was expecting it to just be guys tuning their instruments and playing short snippets of songs (not necessarily in unison).

2. Going in, I really didn't keep tabs on what the setlist was going to be. The setlist had just about all my favorite Beach Boys tunes, so I was ecstatic.

3. The band sounded great. Brian kept saying Jardine between songs and I didn't realize he was sometimes referring to Al and sometimes referring to Al's son. Al's son sang the high parts and I thought he was spectacular.

4. Speaking of Al, he seemed like a really nice guy and I thought he added a tremendous amount to the show. I couldn't believe how good his voice still sounds. As far as the performances go, Brian isn't the focal point for very much of the show. Without Al and Blondie, I probably would have been disappointed by the show, because at the end of the day, I'm there to see Brian Wilson / Beach Boys. However, those two took the spotlight for much of the show and gave the show the authenticity it needed.

The bad:
1. I was in the 3rd row and I experienced the piano blocking out my view of Brian (except for songs where I got to stand). Didn't seem like he was doing a whole lot anyways though. I had a great view of Al and Blondie. That was a bit disappointing, but the sound check from earlier made up for it (as I got to see Brian from close up at that point).

2. I'm pretty bummed about how the Meet and Greet was. That was one of the major reasons I got that ticket package and the package was like $500. There were only like 15 of us there, but they really rushed us through (they said they were running behind schedule). They handed Brian my item to sign as they had me walk around the table to stand behind him. As he handed me my signed item he yelled "picture!". They snapped the picture and I got rushed out of there. I didn't even get a chance to say anything to him. It didn't damper the soundcheck and concert portion of the experience for me. The more I reflect on it though (now that it's over), the more it bugs me. I'll probably never get another opportunity to say anything to him in my life (and he has meant so very much to me through the years). It's clear Brian doesn't like doing signings and taking pictures. On the other hand, it wasn't like the line had 100 people. I'm sure part of it is my fault and I probably had unreal expectations. I thought it would be more like the VIP group would get to spend 15 minutes backstage with the whole band and talk to all the different members for a little bit.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx