gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:20:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100232 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »

Debbie -

What I clearly meant, is that the marketed VIP "sound check" and what the musicians do as a "sound check rehearsal" - a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  

For example - the Brian - Jeff Beck Tour, I was in the lobby waiting for the "VIP experience" Sound Check" - during that time, while in the lobby, we could hear Blondie rehearsing at sound check (who was not billed to appear but was there) doing Sail on Sailor.  There was a sound check before the "VIP Sound check event."  

This is consistent with many acts who offer a "VIP experience" including a "sound check" but the reality is that the band does their own rehearsal.  I live very close to a major outdoor high profile venue, where one can drive by and listen to any number of "sound checks" done prior to the actual VIP sound check "experience" occurs that appears to the be industry practice.  

You're overthinking it. The whole thing is a soundcheck/rehearsal and they just allow VIPs in for some of it, and Really-VIPs for all of it. It's ALL rehearsal and all useful for the band, especially after a long break. It's not some dog and pony show.
Ontor - when I replied to mojoman3061 - it was thanking him for his review of Brian's show. That got lost. Somehow the dissecting and parsing that gets spun out of control.  I look through a different lens. Another thread-jack. This was a compliment to another fellow poster.  

And, I fully stand by what I wrote. I am over-thinking nothing.  Just thinking through all the levels of what a ticket to an event is.

1 - You buy a show ticket and you are a licensee to be admitted to a venue for a certain amount of time.  

2 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket = enhanced admission privilege.  You leave after the sound check.  Your license expired.  You come back for the full performance.

3 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket + VIP photo op = super-enhanced status license to be in the venue.  You are buying a license to participate in an "event."  You leave after the photo session. Your license expired.   And then you come back for the performance.

Generally the enhanced event or VIP tickets are limited to a small subset of the overall ticket holders.  They are often a marketing tool used by promoters.

So, it is an "event" - and if you are invited by the band to "sound check" - more likely than not you will be seeing a rehearsal, which is longer in length than an "event" sound check, more ad-libbed and less scripted than a sound check "event" as part of a marketed "experience." And has a setlist that is planned.  

Are they enjoyable?  Of course.  Do you sometimes hear a few extra songs?  Yes, you do.  (My heart nearly stopped  hearing Brian do "I'm Waiting for the Day" during the Brian-Beck sound check.)

Black's Law Dictionary 6th ed. "Ticket - in contracts, a slip of paper containing a certificate that the person to whom it is issued, or the holder, is entitled to some right or privilege therein mentioned or described..."(theater tickets are included.)  

Personally, when I was helping run school music performances, we needed to do "sound check" or rehearsal so that kids who were used to singing only in a classroom learned to project into a large space such as an auditorium, not be afraid to look up into the gallery area, smile (pun intended) and become acclimated with the mic placement, for certain singers who would be doing an introduction, leading the group or doing a solo.  It is not the BB's but a "sound check" none the less.  I would bring my classes in to the auditorium, more often with my "enhanced poetic license" so they got used to going up and down the stage stairs safety (4 and 5 year olds.) A big space they aren't used to can be a little scary for a small child.  

The general definition is

http://musicians.about.com/od/glossary/g/soundcheck.htm

Hope it copies.  Wink

Who exactly thread-jacked this?  People were discussing their experiences at Brian's shows, and suddenly they weren't getting a "bona fide soundcheck," whatever that is, according to your definition.  Apparently, you're trying to legally define it here.  Why not start this on another, appropriate thread?
Debbie - this is making a mountain out of a molehill in my view. The overall gist of what I wrote was both a compliment to the poster, and Brian's performance.

"Thread jacking," is a board behavior that has systematically and continuously degraded the quality of this forum.  You responded to the interjection of  "#notthebeachboys" (the more recent Smile Brian) post.  

They got a "sound check" that was likely different from a band rehearsal and as part of a purchased "sound check" package that is now becoming an music "industry standard." It is a special event and it has legal significance, as among the varying degrees of permission to experience a level that is above and beyond the main event admission level.  

It is not confined to Brian's band, or The Touring Band, or The Beach Boys C50.  Nothing is personalized here, meant as an offense, nor should be taken as an offense.  I did not hit an "ignore button" for the most offensive handle #notthebeachboys which is absolutely a pejorative term targeted to be offensive.  

So, I can buy a "sound check" ticket for Brittany Spears.  I know full well, that it is not a full rehearsal.  I know it is a "highlights" event.  Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?  They are so competent and exacting that they are doing "phrasing" of individual songs as I did teaching music.  

This "behavior" and not "content" or "perspective" needs to be addressed.  It is a distraction from the music.  And it suggests that it is "ratified" or tolerated/endorsed by the powers-that-be.  There is no need for a separate thread.  

Note:  I am modifying this to show that this was an excerpt from the above quote, this is not my opinion, but a quote I was referencing.  Sorry for the confusion:
 ..."Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?  They are so competent and exacting that they are doing "phrasing" of individual songs as I did teaching music..."  

No. All the suggestions have been yours.  I think that's my point. (My reply)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:34:08 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

Debbie -

What I clearly meant, is that the marketed VIP "sound check" and what the musicians do as a "sound check rehearsal" - a VIP Soundcheck is an "event" where 4 or 5 songs are selected to showcase, usually connected with a VIP experience.  Generally, prior to this event is a full or expanded rehearsal.  That is the sound check.  

For example - the Brian - Jeff Beck Tour, I was in the lobby waiting for the "VIP experience" Sound Check" - during that time, while in the lobby, we could hear Blondie rehearsing at sound check (who was not billed to appear but was there) doing Sail on Sailor.  There was a sound check before the "VIP Sound check event."  

This is consistent with many acts who offer a "VIP experience" including a "sound check" but the reality is that the band does their own rehearsal.  I live very close to a major outdoor high profile venue, where one can drive by and listen to any number of "sound checks" done prior to the actual VIP sound check "experience" occurs that appears to the be industry practice.  

You're overthinking it. The whole thing is a soundcheck/rehearsal and they just allow VIPs in for some of it, and Really-VIPs for all of it. It's ALL rehearsal and all useful for the band, especially after a long break. It's not some dog and pony show.
Ontor - when I replied to mojoman3061 - it was thanking him for his review of Brian's show. That got lost. Somehow the dissecting and parsing that gets spun out of control.  I look through a different lens. Another thread-jack. This was a compliment to another fellow poster.  

And, I fully stand by what I wrote. I am over-thinking nothing.  Just thinking through all the levels of what a ticket to an event is.

1 - You buy a show ticket and you are a licensee to be admitted to a venue for a certain amount of time.  

2 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket = enhanced admission privilege.  You leave after the sound check.  Your license expired.  You come back for the full performance.

3 - You buy a ticket + sound check ticket + VIP photo op = super-enhanced status license to be in the venue.  You are buying a license to participate in an "event."  You leave after the photo session. Your license expired.   And then you come back for the performance.

Generally the enhanced event or VIP tickets are limited to a small subset of the overall ticket holders.  They are often a marketing tool used by promoters.

So, it is an "event" - and if you are invited by the band to "sound check" - more likely than not you will be seeing a rehearsal, which is longer in length than an "event" sound check, more ad-libbed and less scripted than a sound check "event" as part of a marketed "experience." And has a setlist that is planned.  

Are they enjoyable?  Of course.  Do you sometimes hear a few extra songs?  Yes, you do.  (My heart nearly stopped  hearing Brian do "I'm Waiting for the Day" during the Brian-Beck sound check.)

Black's Law Dictionary 6th ed. "Ticket - in contracts, a slip of paper containing a certificate that the person to whom it is issued, or the holder, is entitled to some right or privilege therein mentioned or described..."(theater tickets are included.)  

Personally, when I was helping run school music performances, we needed to do "sound check" or rehearsal so that kids who were used to singing only in a classroom learned to project into a large space such as an auditorium, not be afraid to look up into the gallery area, smile (pun intended) and become acclimated with the mic placement, for certain singers who would be doing an introduction, leading the group or doing a solo.  It is not the BB's but a "sound check" none the less.  I would bring my classes in to the auditorium, more often with my "enhanced poetic license" so they got used to going up and down the stage stairs safety (4 and 5 year olds.) A big space they aren't used to can be a little scary for a small child.  

The general definition is

http://musicians.about.com/od/glossary/g/soundcheck.htm

Hope it copies.  Wink

Who exactly thread-jacked this?  People were discussing their experiences at Brian's shows, and suddenly they weren't getting a "bona fide soundcheck," whatever that is, according to your definition.  Apparently, you're trying to legally define it here.  Why not start this on another, appropriate thread?
Debbie - this is making a mountain out of a molehill in my view. The overall gist of what I wrote was both a compliment to the poster, and Brian's performance.

"Thread jacking," is a board behavior that has systematically and continuously degraded the quality of this forum.  You responded to the interjection of  "#notthebeachboys" (the more recent Smile Brian) post.  

They got a "sound check" that was likely different from a band rehearsal and as part of a purchased "sound check" package that is now becoming an music "industry standard." It is a special event and it has legal significance, as among the varying degrees of permission to experience a level that is above and beyond the main event admission level.  

It is not confined to Brian's band, or The Touring Band, or The Beach Boys C50.  Nothing is personalized here, meant as an offense, nor should be taken as an offense.  I did not hit an "ignore button" for the most offensive handle #notthebeachboys which is absolutely a pejorative term targeted to be offensive.  

So, I can buy a "sound check" ticket for Brittany Spears.  I know full well, that it is not a full rehearsal.  I know it is a "highlights" event.  Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?  They are so competent and exacting that they are doing "phrasing" of individual songs as I did teaching music.  

This "behavior" and not "content" or "perspective" needs to be addressed.  It is a distraction from the music.  And it suggests that it is "ratified" or tolerated/endorsed by the powers-that-be.  There is no need for a separate thread.  

Are you suggesting that any one of these bands is only practicing a half dozen songs before a show?  They are so competent and exacting that they are doing "phrasing" of individual songs as I did teaching music. 

No. All the suggestions have been yours.  I think that's my point.
Of course I am not suggesting it.  But, the "event experience" comes with a required signed contract from whomever is running the "event." 

All the VIP Nation packages (as well as other agents) require that documents be signed with consent to the terms. 
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »

Brief Florida Theater review:  I've never seen Brian so relaxed and happy, and he's never sounded so good.  I believe Al Jardine is in possession of  a Lazarus Pit.  And I didn't find Blondie distracting at all.  If his antics were not acceptable to Brian and gang, I'm sure he would be stopped.

Best early birthday gift ever!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »

Brief Florida Theater review:  I've never seen Brian so relaxed and happy, and he's never sounded so good.  I believe Al Jardine is in possession of  a Lazarus Pit.  And I didn't find Blondie distracting at all.  If his antics were not acceptable to Brian and gang, I'm sure he would be stopped.

Best early birthday gift ever!

Thanks, Charles.  These shows bring things into perspective, don't they?  Joyous stuff.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

Thanks for the photo, Charles.  The arrangement of musicians on the stage is the same as in Biloxi.

I took notes on the soundcheck, too.  I'll set the record straight on what I witnessed.

We were let in at about 4:20pm (we'd been told to be there by 3:45).  They were doing "Forever."  They finished, and Brian told Paul Mertens, "I'll sing all the verses."  Brian then said, without moving from the piano, "Hello, meet-and-greet people."  They went into "Forever" again, then "Don't Worry Baby" ("No!  Too fast!").

After four more songs, they dismissed the meet-and-greet people, plus Brian, Al, and Blondie.  We lined up to get into a room at the side of the stage, and the line ran into the auditorium, so we could hear as they continued the soundcheck.  While I was in line, I heard "Our Prayer," "Heroes and Villains," and "Right Time," then I was ushered into the room.  After I came out, they did four full songs and parts of six others.  With that, the soundcheck was over and everyone was asked to leave at about 5:36.

There was nothing in this soundcheck that wasn't in the regular concert.

Edited to add:  I want to compliment you, Bicyclerider, on your recall.  I couldn't have done that without notes.  Also, thanks for understanding that I didn't mean to put you down with my contribution.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:54:07 PM by mojoman3061 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 06, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »

Thanks for the photo, Charles.  The arrangement of musicians on the stage is the same as in Biloxi.

I took notes on the soundcheck, too.  I'll set the record straight on what I witnessed.

We were let in at about 4:20pm (we'd been told to be there by 3:45).  They were doing "Forever."  They finished, and Brian told Paul Mertens, "I'll sing all the verses."  Brian then said, without moving from the piano, "Hello, meet-and-greet people."  They went into "Forever" again, then "Don't Worry Baby" ("No!  Too fast!").

After four more songs, they dismissed the meet-and-greet people, plus Brian, Al, and Blondie.  We lined up to get into a room at the side of the stage, and the line ran into the auditorium, so we could hear as they continued the soundcheck.  While I was in line, I heard "Our Prayer," "Heroes and Villains," and "Right Time," then I was ushered into the room.  After I came out, they did four full songs and parts of six others.  With that, the soundcheck was over and everyone was asked to leave at about 5:36.

There was nothing in this soundcheck that wasn't in the regular concert.
So fun. Thanks.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »

Great show at the Sunrise Theatre in Ft. Pierce, FL tonight.  Band was on as usual.  Surprises for me were:  "Add Some Music to Your Day", "Please Let Me Wonder", and "Wake the World".  Pretty much a sold out show.  Best BW concert I've seen yet, loved the small theatre atmosphere.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »

Tonight was a great show, was my 1st BW concert.  Nice venue, older theater with nice character and even the seats in the back part of the theater gave a good view of the stage, only complaint was they closed the bar too early so it was a 1 beer show....

Blondie really added energy, Brian was ON and sounded great as well as Al. 

I got busted for recording a clip with my cellphone this evening at Ft Pierce show during Sail on Sailor. Security was in force big time during God Only Knows.

Have a few pics Ill post later. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: December 07, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »

Not to dredge it back up, but "soundchecks" indeed are *not* the same thing as a rehearsal. It may function as a rehearsal as well in some instances, if they are adding a new song, etc.

But when they're running through "Don't Worry Baby" or "Heroes and Villains" during soundcheck at the end of a tour, they're not "rehearsing" it, because they've been doing those songs for months. They're doing an actual "sound check"; meaning they are getting the sound/mix for the stage monitors and the house PA dialed in. That's what a soundcheck is for.

It's up to the artist whether they want to run through the same stuff they'll be doing during the show (which probably will allow them to more accurately dial in the mix for the actual show), or, as someone like McCartney does, compile a whole alternate set of songs that are often exclusive to soundchecks. McCartney has been doing a ton of non-show songs (albeit often the same group) at his soundchecks for decades. It appears Brian's band largely sticks to actual show songs, with some random exceptions that have been noted over the years.

And yes, I would say what VIPs get at a Brian show is not some alternate mini-show concocted just for the VIP ticket buyers. The way promoters get artists to sign on for this aspect of the "VIP package" is that the artist doesn't have to do ANY additional work. It's free extra money. They already have to do a soundcheck, so all they're doing is letting a small group of people in for a portion of the soundcheck and charging extra money.

The reason they like to up-charge for VIP packages is because the *only* extra work the artist has to do is the meet-and-greet. The "premium" seat placement and the soundcheck attendance, as well as the memorabilia swag, is all stuff that requires no extra effort from the artist.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:06:29 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2015, 07:26:48 AM »

Not to dredge it back up, but "soundchecks" indeed are *not* the same thing as a rehearsal. It may function as a rehearsal as well in some instances, if they are adding a new song, etc.

But when they're running through "Don't Worry Baby" or "Heroes and Villains" during soundcheck at the end of a tour, they're not "rehearsing" it, because they've been doing those songs for months. They're doing an actual "sound check"; meaning they are getting the sound/mix for the stage monitors and the house PA dialed in. That's what a soundcheck is for.

It's up to the artist whether they want to run through the same stuff they'll be doing during the show (which probably will allow them to more accurately dial in the mix for the actual show), or, as someone like McCartney does, compile a whole alternate set of songs that are often exclusive to soundchecks. McCartney has been doing a ton of non-show songs (albeit often the same group) at his soundchecks for decades. It appears Brian's band largely sticks to actual show songs, with some random exceptions that have been noted over the years.

And yes, I would say what VIPs get at a Brian show is not some alternate mini-show concocted just for the VIP ticket buyers. The way promoters get artists to sign on for this aspect of the "VIP package" is that the artist doesn't have to do ANY additional work. It's free extra money. They already have to do a soundcheck, so all they're doing is letting a small group of people in for a portion of the soundcheck and charging extra money.

The reason they like to up-charge for VIP packages is because the *only* extra work the artist has to do is the meet-and-greet. The "premium" seat placement and the soundcheck attendance, as well as the memorabilia swag, is all stuff that requires no extra effort from the artist.
Hey Jude - we are in agreement.  I supplied a link earlier, that related to exactly what a soundcheck is. Sometimes the sound check is done by the techs if the whole band has not arrived.  

But the "package sound check" is a sort of "mini" show with special admission for a smaller number of limited ticket (license holders) who are indeed different from "invitees" of the band.  It is a different status.  

And, it is a newer business-model approach as well, with these VIP meet and greet packages which do a block off of the first few rows of seats.  Sometimes those seats get released on the day before or on the day-of-performance if the packages don't fully sell out.  I've been to Brian's show "sound checks," The Touring Band's "sound checks," and C50's so I have a very good basis of comparison, including the variations of the contracts that require signing prior to admission.  

But it is a little bonus to hear something that might not land in the "big show" setlist.  The Sound Check admission ticket became especially important in the Beck tour where there was a very limited setlist due to the time constraints with two performers on the bill.      Wink
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:30:06 AM by filledeplage » Logged
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »

Also went to the Biloxi show.  WOW!!!!!!!!!!  I left blown away.  I saw BW in the Jeff Beck tour in Houston and the Biloxi show blows the Houston Show out of the water.  Everybody was on their A game.  I'm also not a fan of Jeff Beck and didn't think that tour worked at all so that probably detracted from the Houston show a lot.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: December 07, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »

I'm also not a fan of Jeff Beck and didn't think that tour worked at all so that probably detracted from the Houston show a lot.

I agree with your statement on the Beck tour, musically it was fine, but it was a forced combination that didn't work as well as Brian with his band and a couple of Beach Boys guests.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:11 AM »

Hey Jude - we are in agreement.  I supplied a link earlier, that related to exactly what a soundcheck is. Sometimes the sound check is done by the techs if the whole band has not arrived.  

But the "package sound check" is a sort of "mini" show with special admission for a smaller number of limited ticket (license holders) who are indeed different from "invitees" of the band.  It is a different status.  

And, it is a newer business-model approach as well, with these VIP meet and greet packages which do a block off of the first few rows of seats.  Sometimes those seats get released on the day before or on the day-of-performance if the packages don't fully sell out.  I've been to Brian's show "sound checks," The Touring Band's "sound checks," and C50's so I have a very good basis of comparison, including the variations of the contracts that require signing prior to admission.  

But it is a little bonus to hear something that might not land in the "big show" setlist.  The Sound Check admission ticket became especially important in the Beck tour where there was a very limited setlist due to the time constraints with two performers on the bill.      Wink

It's partly just a case of semantics to be sure. What you're describing is all on the audience side of the equation. Yes, when I *buy* a VIP package, that's different from being invited to the soundcheck or crashing a soundcheck, etc. But the soundcheck that BW performs at a show is not any different whether VIP ticketholders are there or not. They just only see part of it usually, apparently.

But what set this discussion off (which I think is a fine discussion to have; I think it's important to understand the difference between a rehearsal and a soundcheck) was the implication that the BW soundcheck that VIP ticket buyers see is different from something else that the band is actually doing at the venue on the day of the concert. Maybe those who saw this implication read your comment incorrectly.

You said "I don't think it is really the bona fide sound check in terms of a "real rehearsal" where they cover everything", and I think the point others are trying to make is that there is no rehearsal where they cover everything, other than pre-tour rehearsals. I think people thought your comment suggested Brian does another rehearsal or soundcheck at the venue on the night of the show, separate from what the VIP ticketholders see. I think some took your comment to suggest the band is going out on stage and doing something exclusively just for the VIP ticketholders. I don't think they are. They're doing what they normally do, and some VIP fans are shuffled in at some point and then shuffled out at some point. Other than acknowledging or communicating with the VIP fans, nothing is different compared to when there is no VIP audience. I've been at shows and heard soundcheck with and without VIP ticketholders, and they're no different.

In fact, on some of the rare instances when they do rehearse a new song during a soundcheck, one of the few times when they're really "rehearsing" rather than mostly just dialing in the sound and warming up, they have done such performances in front of the VIP ticketholders. So it's not as if they're necessarily screening what they do during points where the VIP folks are watching. They rehearsed "Funky Pretty" in front of VIP fans. They did the same with "You Still Believe In Me" during the current tour. VIP fans saw stuff like "Surf's Up" during C50. VIP fans have even seen debatably tense moments, disagreements, etc. on stage.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:58:16 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

It's partly just a case of semantics to be sure. What you're describing is all on the audience side of the equation. Yes, when I *buy* a VIP package, that's different from being invited to the soundcheck or crashing a soundcheck, etc. But the soundcheck that BW performs at a show is not any different whether VIP ticketholders are there or not. They just only see part of it usually, apparently.

But what set this discussion off (which I think is a fine discussion to have; I think it's important to understand the difference between a rehearsal and a soundcheck) was the implication that the BW soundcheck that VIP ticket buyers see is different from something else that the band is actually doing at the venue on the day of the concert. Maybe those who saw this implication read your comment incorrectly.

You said "I don't think it is really the bona fide sound check in terms of a "real rehearsal" where they cover everything", and I think the point others are trying to make is that there is no rehearsal where they cover everything, other than pre-tour rehearsals. I think people thought your comment suggested Brian does another rehearsal or soundcheck at the venue on the night of the show, separate from what the VIP ticketholders see. I think some took your comment to suggest the band is going out on stage and doing something exclusively just for the VIP ticketholders. I don't think they are. They're doing what they normally do, and some VIP fans are shuffled in at some point and then shuffled out at some point. Other than acknowledging or communicating with the VIP fans, nothing is different compared to when there is no VIP audience. I've been at shows and heard soundcheck with and without VIP ticketholders, and they're no different.

In fact, on some of the rare instances when they do rehearse a new song during a soundcheck, one of the few times when they're really "rehearsing" rather than mostly just dialing in the sound and warming up, they have done such performances in front of the VIP ticketholders. So it's not as if they're necessarily screening what they do during points where the VIP folks are watching. They rehearsed "Funky Pretty" in front of VIP fans. They did the same with "You Still Believe In Me" during the current tour. VIP fans saw stuff like "Surf's Up" during C50. VIP fans have even seen debatably tense moments, disagreements, etc. on stage.
Your key word is "semantics" - They VIP sound-checks are all substantially similar.   

The Touring Band did YSBIM at a soundcheck.  More is the pity it isn't in the setlist as a regular.  And, of course they don't do every song.  (The ones they all could do in their sleep.)

My comment was an "observation" and not a "criticism." It was innocuous.  I guess for me that is the difference.   Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: December 07, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »

Your key word is "semantics" - They VIP sound-checks are all substantially similar.   

The Touring Band did YSBIM at a soundcheck.  More is the pity it isn't in the setlist as a regular.  And, of course they don't do every song.  (The ones they all could do in their sleep.)

My comment was an "observation" and not a "criticism." It was innocuous.  I guess for me that is the difference.   Wink

I've seen you respond rather indignantly to clearly "innocuous" posts (usually about Mike Love), so you should be used to it.

As for the VIP soundchecks, I'm sure they're all relatively similar. Nobody was suggesting otherwise. The issue was whether what VIP ticketholders see at a soundcheck is different from what the band would otherwise normally be doing. The answer is no, I don't believe it is different.

Also worth noting is that they sometimes *do* perform songs at soundcheck that they could perform in their sleep. Again, that's why an understanding of what a soundcheck constitutes is of key importance. You continue to conflate "rehearsal" and "soundcheck" in way that is not germane to what goes on with "VIP" soundcheck experiences.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 07, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

I've seen you respond rather indignantly to clearly "innocuous" posts (usually about Mike Love), so you should be used to it.

As for the VIP soundchecks, I'm sure they're all relatively similar. Nobody was suggesting otherwise. The issue was whether what VIP ticketholders see at a soundcheck is different from what the band would otherwise normally be doing. The answer is no, I don't believe it is different.

Also worth noting is that they sometimes *do* perform songs at soundcheck that they could perform in their sleep. Again, that's why an understanding of what a soundcheck constitutes is of key importance. You continue to conflate "rehearsal" and "soundcheck" in way that is not germane to what goes on with "VIP" soundcheck experiences.
Hey Jude - I didn't come to this forum to play "team sports."  I came as a Beach Boys' fan.

And, I look for balance and fairness.  Go back and look at my post.  It was a "high five" to the poster who went to Brian's show.  Somehow that message was semantically lost.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 07, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

...And on it goes.  Sorry, the "bona fide sound check" comment didn't come across as innocuous, since the argument went on and on and on - when most of us were hoping to enjoy others' comments about the shows.  Again, thanks to Charles for the great photos and to the others who posted comments about the concerts.  As far as picking apart the VIP experience...um, you get great seats, can enjoy the more intimate pre-show activities, and get to meet and get a photo with a musical genius of our time.  I don't see a problem here.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 07, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »

...And on it goes.  Sorry, the "bona fide sound check" comment didn't come across as innocuous, since the argument went on and on and on - when most of us were hoping to enjoy others' comments about the shows.  Again, thanks to Charles for the great photos and to the others who posted comments about the concerts.  As far as picking apart the VIP experience...um, you get great seats, can enjoy the more intimate pre-show activities, and get to meet and get a photo with a musical genius of our time.  I don't see a problem here.
It was an "impression" and I feel it was taken out of the context in which it was meant.   

Those were my "impressions." Everyone has a right to their "impressions."

And the rest of what was posted which provided context was completely ignored. 
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 07, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »

Great show at the Sunrise Theatre in Ft. Pierce, FL tonight.  Band was on as usual.  Surprises for me were:  "Add Some Music to Your Day", "Please Let Me Wonder", and "Wake the World".  Pretty much a sold out show.  Best BW concert I've seen yet, loved the small theatre atmosphere.
Two good shows on consecutive dates.  Brian must be in a very good place.  I've been aware of the BBs since about 1970, so I'm especially happy for Brian.  He's been through hell and back, more than once.

Your three surprises weren't played in Biloxi, not even at the soundcheck.  Did you get the same show as I did plus your surprises, or did your surprises replace some songs played in Biloxi?
KDS
« Reply #419 on: December 07, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

Two good shows on consecutive dates.  Brian must be in a very good place.  I've been aware of the BBs since about 1970, so I'm especially happy for Brian.  He's been through hell and back, more than once.

Your three surprises weren't played in Biloxi, not even at the soundcheck.  Did you get the same show as I did plus your surprises, or did your surprises replace some songs played in Biloxi?

Looks like at Biloxi, they did Forever where Wake the World and Add Some Music have been played. 
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 07, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »

Two good shows on consecutive dates.  Brian must be in a very good place.  I've been aware of the BBs since about 1970, so I'm especially happy for Brian.  He's been through hell and back, more than once.

Your three surprises weren't played in Biloxi, not even at the soundcheck.  Did you get the same show as I did plus your surprises, or did your surprises replace some songs played in Biloxi?

We didn't get "Girl Don't Tell Me" or "Forever."  PLMW was in place of where GDTM was played in Biloxi, and like KDS said Wake... and Add... were played where Forever was played.

I was hoping that somehow they would pull out "Forever" but I knew realistically there wasn't a good chance of that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: December 08, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »

Looks like at Biloxi, they did Forever where Wake the World and Add Some Music have been played. 

Understandable. The Biloxi gig was on the 4th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »

What Brian does or doesn’t want to sing/play is an interesting (albeit potentially burdensome for him) issue. Perhaps with Brian working up to performing things like the entire “Smile” album, it might be easy to forget some stuff might be difficult to perform. He evidently doesn’t enjoy doing “Surf’s Up” or “Busy Doin’ Nothin’”, perhaps not so much because of the topic or context, but simply because they’re extra wordy.

Whereas, perhaps he doesn’t like to regularly perform “Forever” because it’s tough. He had in the setlist back in 2001 for awhile. But at least some of the times they’ve added a new song to the setlist during a tour, they’ve done it a few times if for no other reason than to capitalize on the effort to rehearse it. So it may (or may not) be telling that “Forever” was a one-shot deal. Alternatively, perhaps they wanted it to be a special one-shot thing.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »

What Brian does or doesn’t want to sing/play is an interesting (albeit potentially burdensome for him) issue. Perhaps with Brian working up to performing things like the entire “Smile” album, it might be easy to forget some stuff might be difficult to perform. He evidently doesn’t enjoy doing “Surf’s Up” or “Busy Doin’ Nothin’”, perhaps not so much because of the topic or context, but simply because they’re extra wordy.

Whereas, perhaps he doesn’t like to regularly perform “Forever” because it’s tough. He had in the setlist back in 2001 for awhile. But at least some of the times they’ve added a new song to the setlist during a tour, they’ve done it a few times if for no other reason than to capitalize on the effort to rehearse it. So it may (or may not) be telling that “Forever” was a one-shot deal. Alternatively, perhaps they wanted it to be a special one-shot thing.

Yeah, I've heard that singing Forever caused Brian to get quite upset about Dennis in the past, understandably enough.
It's a shame that the songs Brian doesn't seem to enjoy singing are the ones that were highlights of the shows I saw in 2002. Brian's shows are always good, but I far preferred hearing Busy Doin' Nothin', Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Forever, and so on to Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe, and I suspect the band enjoyed playing those more as well.

I do wonder why they don't try adding some Love You stuff into the set. Brian often talks about that as his favourite album, the band members mostly seem to like it, Al's talked the album up recently, much of the music is relatively easy to play, and it's as far from "wordy" as you can get. Yet other than The Night Was So Young in 2002 (and did that last til 2004? I have a vague memory of it being played at Smile shows...) they've not touched it...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: December 08, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »

Yeah, I've heard that singing Forever caused Brian to get quite upset about Dennis in the past, understandably enough.
It's a shame that the songs Brian doesn't seem to enjoy singing are the ones that were highlights of the shows I saw in 2002. Brian's shows are always good, but I far preferred hearing Busy Doin' Nothin', Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Forever, and so on to Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe, and I suspect the band enjoyed playing those more as well.

I do wonder why they don't try adding some Love You stuff into the set. Brian often talks about that as his favourite album, the band members mostly seem to like it, Al's talked the album up recently, much of the music is relatively easy to play, and it's as far from "wordy" as you can get. Yet other than The Night Was So Young in 2002 (and did that last til 2004? I have a vague memory of it being played at Smile shows...) they've not touched it...

The setlists.fm website of course doesn't have every setlist, but it shows 13 performances of "The Night Was So Young" in 2002, and then just three in Europe in 2004. I don't think it was done at all once he got to North America in 2004.

There are definitely some idiosyncrasies in how they choose songs for the setlist. "Honkin' Down the Highway" seems painfully obvious for the setlist as I've mentioned in the past. Written by Brian, sung by Al, then re-recorded by Al with Brian singing backing vocals, and as you mention, they both seem to be fond of the "Love You" album.

And if Brian is kind of getting into his groove and doesn't want to re-learn a bunch of weird songs, I wish they would just hand over a few selections to Al and Blondie. I think a mini-set with just Al and the band (and/or Al and Blondie and the band) would be awesome, and would allow Brian to not have to carry another added portion of the show. How about a mini-set of "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "Hold on Dear Brother", and a few others? Obviously, I'd prefer to have Brian with the guys for all the songs. Certainly, "Funky Pretty" for instance should have Brian's participation. 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx