gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:31:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100266 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:40 AM »

Any word if there will be an opening act for these dates?

I've wondered that too. I can't find any mention of one.

I would guess/assume there won’t be any opening act. As far as I can remember, this year’s Summer tour was the first time Brian had a single “opening act” that played at nearly every concert on the tour. He has done a few “joint” tours (Beck, Simon), and one could argue Brian was the “opening act” on the Simon tour. I wouldn’t be surprised if there have been some one-off opening acts at random gigs over the years (local musicians, stand-up comedians occasionally do that stuff). He may have had been part of a larger bill on some shows outside the US, I’m not sure. This also discounts of course shows like the “Bridge School Benefit” shows where Brian does a short set among many artists. But this year’s tour was the first time in the US anyway that I can recall Brian bringing a single “opening act” along with him for one of his own full tours.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »

I really hope Brian announces a D.C. area date for this tour!!!

I'm doubtful...but in Beach Boys world you never know...

I'd imagine that if we get anymore dates at this point they will be in December and he seems to be heading back West by then.

It's tough being a music fan in the mid Atlantic.  Many promoters seem to think that DC/Baltimore/Philly/Atlantic City are all one market.  So, an artist will usually make a stop in, or near, one of those cities and that's it.  Since Brian hit Philly in late June, and is hitting AC on this tour, I'm not expecting another. 

The Warner in DC, or the Modell Lyric in Baltimore would be great venues for a BW concert. 

Oh BOO effing HOO HOO. It's tough being a music fan lots of places.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KDS
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »

I'd imagine that if we get anymore dates at this point they will be in December and he seems to be heading back West by then.

It's tough being a music fan in the mid Atlantic.  Many promoters seem to think that DC/Baltimore/Philly/Atlantic City are all one market.  So, an artist will usually make a stop in, or near, one of those cities and that's it.  Since Brian hit Philly in late June, and is hitting AC on this tour, I'm not expecting another. 

The Warner in DC, or the Modell Lyric in Baltimore would be great venues for a BW concert. 

Thank you bgas.

That's a warranted response. 

Sometimes its easy to forget that this forum can be a total waste of time.  But thanks for reminding me. 

Smiley 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »

Adding and repeating to what's already been said, the concerts this summer were amazing. Adding Blondie, Al, and Matt to a band I already thought was the finest live band I had seen made a great band even better. It was both the sounds they added as well as the vibe, and in terms of vibe Blondie brought it up even a notch higher whenever he was on stage. He ups the game, brings the rock and roll energy to the stage and to the band, and always delivers. It's like a Keith Richards vibe or something, I call it "rock and roll"! But even in the soundcheck I was fortunate enough to see, when Blondie came up to run through the songs, you could feel the energy just go up throughout the whole band, and they started rocking out like they were playing for a packed house. It was all about the vibe and the feel.

So yeah, basically I agree and also hope to see Blondie be a part of the shows in the future. And it was hard to beat seeing Brian, Al, and Blondie trading lead vocals on Sail Away live.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »

For anyone who is attending the Salamanca, NY (Buffalo) show, let's hook up for a pre-show cocktail!!!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »

Thank you bgas.

That's a warranted response. 

Sometimes its easy to forget that this forum can be a total waste of time.  But thanks for reminding me. 

Smiley 

Now I know for a fact that Bian's show has only made it to St Louis, where I hang my hat, once; for the Smile tour. So it's really hard for me to feel bad for anyone else that gets shows anywhere close, much more frequently than that

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »

I've stated all this in the last thread but:

- I'll be at the SF show
- I'll be drinking at the hidden tiki bar a few blocks from the venue before
- I'll be bummed if Darian isn't there or if they don't do Busy Doing Nothing
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »

I've stated all this in the last thread but:

- I'll be at the SF show
- I'll be drinking at the hidden tiki bar a few blocks from the venue before
- I'll be bummed if Darian isn't there or if they don't do Busy Doing Nothing

Maybe, drink a bit more prior to the show so you don't feel the disappointments as much, should they happen

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »

Yah thanks for that advice.. tiki drinks are hella strong so I just need like 3. I'd rather stick a shotgun in my mouth than listen to Fun Fun Fun live ever again.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »

I'd recommend two maitais and a Valium.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »

Yah thanks for that advice.. tiki drinks are hella strong so I just need like 3. I'd rather stick a shotgun in my mouth than listen to Fun Fun Fun live ever again.
I hope you had nice life. I'll miss you on the board. You damn well know that you will be hearing Fun Fun Fun the night of the show. Just don't do it in the venue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »

I hope you had nice life. I'll miss you on the board. You damn well know that you will be hearing Fun Fun Fun the night of the show. Just don't do it in the venue.

If the show was only on Sunday Bloody Sunday, twould be much more musically inclined

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »

Hey, anywhere in the f**king UK would be good - Oh, sorry I seemed to have forget about the runaway success of the 'L&M' film and the required promotion for it back in the U.S.A.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »

Hey, anywhere in the f**king UK would be good - Oh, sorry I seemed to have forget about the runaway success of the 'L&M' film and the required promotion for it back in the U.S.A.

Right. How ludicrous that shows now

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »

Whatever happened with the canceled UK dates, none of the US dates seem to have anything to do with it. All of these dates could have been done even if the UK tour had happened. The San Francisco show was even announced prior to the UK tour being canceled.

Criticism for the shambolic fashion of the UK tour being canceled is understandable. But it’s not like any of these US dates happened *because* the UK tour was canceled (and I know, nobody is making that specific allegation).

I’d also say that, while UK fans got fudged on this most recent cancelation, the UK has overall had a pretty fair amount of BW shows over the years relative to its size and population, especially when we’re comparing to the US.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »

Whatever happened with the canceled UK dates, none of the US dates seem to have anything to do with it. All of these dates could have been done even if the UK tour had happened. The San Francisco show was even announced prior to the UK tour being canceled.

Criticism for the shambolic fashion of the UK tour being canceled is understandable. But it’s not like any of these US dates happened *because* the UK tour was canceled (and I know, nobody is making that specific allegation).

I’d also say that, while UK fans got fudged on this most recent cancelation, the UK has overall had a pretty fair amount of BW shows over the years relative to its size and population, especially when we’re comparing to the US.

Yep totally agree, we have been furnished with more than a fair share of BW gigs over the years in the U.K. (Including the exclusivity of premiers) HOWEVER it was/is the lies associated with the pulling of the tour, WHY didn't they (the management etc...) just hold their hands up and say "SORRY we f**ked up on the choice of venues and didn't shift enough tickets to make the gig's viable" - Anyway, let's move on..........
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:45:08 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »

Maybe start a thread on that elsewhere so we can use this one for

DEMANDING BLONDIE CHAPLIN BE PART OF IT.

No opening act? Now there's no excuse not to bust out Funky Pretty or... some Love You. Cmon, people. More Ding Danging, More Honeycombing, More Blondie Chaplining, and for gawdsakes more solos on his 70s guitar.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:31:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »

Exactly Ontor, give us blondie! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

Exactly Ontor, give us blondie! Cool

Yep, Heart Of Glass/Sunday Girl/Hanging On The Telephone etc......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »

Al Jardine belting out Heart of Glass and mixing up the lyrics would be pure class.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »

sh*t they can do a rapture/smart girls mash up that would be tightttttttt
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »

Al Jardine belting out Heart of Glass and mixing up the lyrics would be pure class.

Christ, it's does work.

Sing along to the tune of 'Wouldn't It Be nice' - 1st Verse only ,

"Wouldn't it be nice if it was a gas
Soon turned out had a heart of glass
Seemed like the real thing, only to find
Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind"

Damn you Ontor
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

Yeah, but could Debbie Harry be convinced to work this classic Beach Boys rap verse into Rapture?

Yeah I'll take you to the movies
But I'm no fool
First I'll get you on the beach
Or in a swimming pool
Doing unto others is the Golden Rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool

Maybe shoot a new video collab if Stamos would agree to be the guy dancing in the top hat:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:02:41 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »

FYI, The Zombies will be on tour in the States from 9/30 to 10/27.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »

Bump for tonight!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx