gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:21:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Blondie Chaplin Fall 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 100221 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »

hey y'all here's some vid from the SF show i figured i'd share instead of trashin them what the hell

https://vid.me/YB1g

https://vid.me/eQFV

https://vid.me/TFPX

https://vid.me/uX3Y

https://vid.me/P65A
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »

I want *THAT POSTER* hanging in the living room next to the Smile framed stuff...that's a cool print. If they sold that kind of thing, I'd buy it immediately.

Absolutely!! Calling bgas...BGAS!!!! Are you able to get your hands on a few of these??

From what I understand, they only made one. Seems a bit odd, that, tho I'm not certain on the costs involved for something like this.
Perhaps the Symphony have their own printing press? 

In any case, I took two approaches: 

1; I talked to someone connected to Brian, who I thought might be able to get his ear, and asked if they'd be willing to suggest to Brian/his management
 that this is a poster his fans would LOVE to own and would be an easy sell. 
 I'm hopeful something will come of this AND if they do make them, I sure hope they add it to his website. 

2; I called every number I could find for the venue/ people associated with the venue.
I told them I'd really LOVE to have THAT poster at MY house, and I'd be only TOO Happy to Pay for it! 

Evidently, I spoke to the right people and I was very convincing because they called me back, said the poster was mine, come pick it up!!   
A HUGE PLUS was having a friend in the SF area who was willing and able to pick it up, taking any complications out of their hands. 
( there was some initial misunderstanding relative to my being in St Louis Mo)
 This went GREAT!  Thanxx for the push you guys!!

Now I just count on the Postal service to do their part .... 

That's how it's done!  Smiley

Man, this poster is HUGE!!  3'4 X 5'-9-1/2 . Brian's head alone is 21 inches tall!  ( is that life size? ) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »

No, that's the length of myKe's head.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »

Bgas, take some pictures! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »

hey y'all here's some vid from the SF show i figured i'd share instead of trashin them what the hell

Thank you!!
(Never cared for the clapping during "Good Vibrations."  I want to enjoy the quiet part!)

Listen, listen, listen...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »

Bgas, take some pictures! Cool

LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2015, 06:13:29 AM »

Yep. and it's now rolled tightand somewhat harder to get good pics. It has a few light scratches from handling. 
Maybe Brian/ his management will take the hint and print up some posters similar, for sale.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »

I love getting posters from shows I’ve been to, but I think the posters they did on past tours in the 2000s were far more interesting, when they actually commissioned artists like Mark London to design a poster. A publicity photo (especially one taken several years before the concert in question) with identifying text isn’t super interesting to me (and I’d have pretty close to zero interest if it wasn’t a show I had attended; which is what has kept me from snagging the few Summer 2015 posters I’ve seen; I’m not too interested in a poster from his Denver gig).

Even this one from 2013 was kind of plain and boring:

I find these types far more interesting (and not *only* because they're from shows I attended):

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »

I love getting posters from shows I’ve been to, but I think the posters they did on past tours in the 2000s were far more interesting, when they actually commissioned artists like Mark London to design a poster. A publicity photo (especially one taken several years before the concert in question) with identifying text isn’t super interesting to me (and I’d have pretty close to zero interest if it wasn’t a show I had attended; which is what has kept me from snagging the few Summer 2015 posters I’ve seen; I’m not too interested in a poster from his Denver gig).

I see your reasoning.  Would you buy one like the Davies, if it was available?

As to your posters, I like that you have them  framed. 
The 1st seems really posed and out of place for Brian. Jeff really likes cars, tho, and obviously Al and Dave are vintage shots. Kinda blase.
I can see the interest in the 2nd and 3rd, as they're more unusual and visually striking.
 the 4th doesn't do anything for me at all, and seems a somewhat lame interpretation of that famous diner painting;
the last one just seems Odd.  Does it have some meaning, you got from attending? 

Are there Brian/BBs posters from the past you find more interesting? 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »

Bgas, where are you going to display the poster? (If at all, knowing the collection room still has plenty of space)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »

I see your reasoning.  Would you buy one like the Davies, if it was available?

As to your posters, I like that you have them  framed.  
The 1st seems really posed and out of place for Brian. Jeff really likes cars, tho, and obviously Al and Dave are vintage shots. Kinda blase.
I can see the interest in the 2nd and 3rd, as they're more unusual and visually striking.
 the 4th doesn't do anything for me at all, and seems a somewhat lame interpretation of that famous diner painting;
the last one just seems Odd.  Does it have some meaning, you got from attending?  

Are there Brian/BBs posters from the past you find more interesting?  

I’d buy a normal-sized print of the Davies poster for ten or twenty bucks; I could picture having paid that at the merch stand. But having seen it in person, it’s too large to display (both in terms of not having room already displaying other things, and I think it’s just too large to look good displayed anywhere, other than I guess in the front of an actual venue!) and if I can’t display and enjoy the poster, it holds very little interest. But ten bucks maybe for an 18x24 or something is conceivable. SFJAZZ handed out programs at the concert that had a full-page spread/feature on Brian with that same picture, so I kind of have an 8 1/2 by 11 variation as it is!  LOL

As for the other posters, of course they are far and away most meaningful and interesting because they’re a momento of the show I went to. Separately, I think (with the exception of the 2013 poster, which is more like an exercise in corporate graphic design), the other posters are interesting as art pieces to varying degrees.

The Warfield ’99 poster isn’t a style I like particularly, but I especially dig a unique poster made for one particular show. It’s also evocative of San Francisco a bit, to me. Also, it’s worth noting that they literally handed those posters out for free after the show outside the venue. Can’t beat that.

The two 2007 posters are limited editions (the west coast PS tour poster seems to be super rare), and are fun, bright hand-pulled lithograph-style posters with texture. Also, the PS poster was signed by Al and Brian at the Oakland show I went to, so it obviously holds extra interest for that reason. (It’s also signed by Mark London at the bottom).

The 2012 Berkeley poster was professionally framed by someone else, who got a hold of a very unique print made just for the 50th show in Berkeley. I think it was probably displayed at the office for the Greek Theater or something. I’m not sure it’s one of a kind, but it was commissioned and made by two artists (painting on top of photograph as I recall). Whomever mounted the whole thing added in the ticket and a pick used at the actual show. Again, all of the other curios are interesting primarily because it’s a momento of the show I went to in the first place. It’s again kind of evocative of the Bay Area. Would I have bought the art piece on its had it not been used as a poster for a BB show? Of course not. It’s slightly less meaningful I suppose since someone else’s ticket stub is in there, but the whole framing/mounting job is really nice and surely cost more than what I paid for the entire thing, so I’m not going to try to crack it open just to put my stub in (plus I’d want to put two stubs in, which wouldn’t fit anyway!).

I have the “Brian Dollar Bill” poster from the 2001 tour as well, but I don’t have that one up right now. Not a huge fan of that theme, which may also be why Paul Simon’s people balked at the idea of putting both Simon and BW on the poster!

That’s about it for posters; I think. No room left to display them, so something has to be REALLY special and unique to justify buying it. I already have too much Beatles and BB stuff stuck away in closets and whatnot as it is. I stopped collecting much of any Beatles stuff years ago (and it’s not like I was collecting vintage memorabilia or anything in the first place; just random mostly new Beatles crap, a lot received as gifts); it wasn’t doing me any good or giving me any enjoyment boxed up.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:37:38 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »

Added the December 5 Jacksonville show to the top post...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »

just posted on Brian's FB: 

>>
Billy Hinsche will be joining Brian on some upcoming Fall shows!

Billy Hinsche
 I am so honored to have been asked to do a few shows with the great Brian Wilson this October - my good buddy, Darian Sahanaja, has another project he is involved with so I have the good fortune of subbing for him during his absence, and he'll be back in November ... !!!
<<

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »

>>

Billy Hinsche
 I am so honored to have been asked to do a few shows with the great Brian Wilson this October - my good buddy, Darian Sahanaja, has another project he is involved with so I have the good fortune of subbing for him during his absence, and he'll be back in November ... !!!
<<

Brian, Al, Blondie, and now Billy Hinsche... that's awesome!! Grin I wonder what October shows he'll be at?
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »

>>

Billy Hinsche
<<

Brian, Al, Blondie, and now Billy Hinsche... that's awesome!! Grin I wonder what October shows he'll be at?

All October shows??? That was my assumption.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2015, 05:48:43 AM »

Yeah, it looks like, the way October tour dates are laid out for BW and the Zombies, it would be the six October shows that Billy Hinsche is filling in for. Billy specifically mentions that Darian will be back in November.

Thinking back to the early "post 1998" days of the various BB touring factions, it is interesting that we will have a true hybrid of Brian's band and the "Beach Boys Family & Friends" band with Al, Matt, and Billy all playing with Brian's band. I know Billy has played a few strings of shows with Brian before, but other than the Vegas taping last year, I think this is the first time Al, Matt, and Billy have all been with Brian at the same time.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »

SO, The November 4th Benefit show; General admission tickets are $300 each. VIP are $500 each.  
VIP event:  

VIP  TICKETS  INCLUDE:
*Sound check with Brian Wilson and the band!
*Signed Brian Wilson/Love & Mercy merchandise
*Reception of heavy hors d'oeuvres and open beer, wine, and soft drink bar
*Souvenir lanyard
*Priority Seating for the concert (PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS EARLY FOR THE BEST SEATS!)

Join us for an evening of music and celebration with legendary musician and co-founder of the Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Beach Boy Al Jardine, and their band. Special guest appearance by Paul Dano, who plays the young Brian Wilson in the film Love & Mercy. This magnificent, yet intimate venue is the perfect setting for enjoying a special concert benefiting Give an Hour and its mission to provide free mental health services to military members, veterans, and their families.

5:00pm - 5:45pm - Sound check with Brian Wilson and the band! Signed Brian Wilson/Love & Mercy merchandise
(VIP ticket holders only)
 7:00pm - Reception with heavy hors d'oeuvres and open beer, wine, and soft drink bar
 8:00 - 9:30pm - Brian Wilson Concert

Edit:  OH, By the way, tickets went on sale this morning, so you better hurry....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:43:54 PM by bgas » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »

Posted on Blondie's Facebook account today:

Blondie will be on the upcoming Brian Wilson Tour that begins this Friday October 9 in Flushing, NY , however, he will be off from end of Oct until Nov. 17, so he will miss a few dates. He will return for the Nov 17 gig in St. Petersburg, FL.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

Blondie will be on the upcoming Brian Wilson Tour that begins this Friday October 9 in Flushing, NY , however, he will be off from end of Oct until Nov. 17, so he will miss a few dates. He will return for the Nov 17 gig in St. Petersburg, FL.

Thank goodness he'll make it to Durham!

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

Well, that sucks! Missing him in New Buffalo...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

So, just to recap, who here is going to the October 9 and/or 10 shows?

We need setlists!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »

Well, that sucks! Missing him in New Buffalo...

Consider yourself fortunate to be seeing the band at all.  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:40 AM »

So, just to recap, who here is going to the October 9 and/or 10 shows?

We need setlists!
I'll be at the Flushing, NY show tomorrow (10/9). Looking forward!
I won't be live tweeting or anything, but I'll be happy to post a setlist at some point if no one beats me to it.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled. 

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they. 

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »

I have tickets to the show in Allegany on Saturday - I bought them the day they went on sale.  I've had a hard few months and I can't describe how much I was looking forward to that show.  It would have been a seven hour drive for us but that was the closest show so we were going to do it.  I can't go now because of a family illness.  Trip is cancelled. 

I know that in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't that "important" but I am totally crushed by this.  I can't even listen to the BB today without crying.  And normal people just don't get it, do they. 

But, I hope everyone who's going has a great time.  I'll be reading the reports with a big box of Kleenex next to me.   

Hang in there. I’ve had moments like that. I think a lot of us understand precisely the type of suck this sort of thing is. It’s not life-threatening, but it’s beyond simply a little bummer. I’ve had experiences like that; the most joyous thing turning into the biggest bummer.

I know it won’t help, but I for one always feel that having the recordings, the music, at home to listen to any time, having that is always immensely more important than a concert.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx