gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:01:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 and smile box set  (Read 11758 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »

Yeah, the preview was tightly controlled and I thought no physical sets were distributed and that it was not possible to make a digital copy of the preview.

But that is definitely one of the more obvious missing tracks from the Sessions set - Barnyard with backing vocals!

Perhaps this person thought of them as separate CDs; I don't really know, just how they described it to me! 

Was there talk at the time of release, as to why they had the track on the promos but not on the released version? 

And I wonder , if perhaps there was a time constraint as to how long these couldn't be copied or if it was forever? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 01:17:56 AM »

Also, another member here  emailed me the other day to tell me  the track of Barnyard from  the 5 CD promo set for Smile Sessions is different from the released version (and the version on UM 16) in that: it has backing vocals. and, has a count in, is a few seconds longer and has better sound quality than UM16.  

Hadn't heard of a physical 5cd set - thought it was previewed for press etc on a secure online stream, to prevent leaks?

Anyone have this?

Here it is:
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=552840
I'm talking with somebody now about getting a copy of this set. You guys will be the first to know if I do.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:08:39 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 01:57:26 AM »

And it might be nice to catalogue the instrumental takes that TSS has that are missing from Unsurpassed Masters.  What we need to do is compile from UM and other boots AND TSS The most complete chronological record of the Smile sessions.  TSS complete and Unedited, at least based on the sources available.  There are still vault items that could be released - like a stereo You're Welcome, stereo Barnshine with vocals (or was it stero Barnyard with vocals) - this may inspire me to go back and listen to everything I have Smile related yet again!

OK I am working on this.  No idea how long it'll take, this is actually really time consuming! 

I just noticed Jason did this on a reference thread already.  Maybe an update or any corrections to what he has would be useful?  He also used Secret Smile and some other boots as sources.

Oh, I thought you meant compiling an audio version of this!  Man, and I've spent the last few days merging my Smile Sessions with Unsurpassed Masters 16 and 17, Vigotone, Archaeology and Secret Smile, then organizing them by recording date! 

I still think this would be a really worthwhile endeaver if you're willing to continue with this. I remember how much of an enourmous task it was tracking down all these different bootlegs, and then spending hours trying to find duplicates and figure out recording dates (I'm still not entirely sure I've got it right!), so if you could spare new fans from going through all of this it might be worth it! I'd still be really interested in this even if it was just to compare my playlist against what you came up with.

The 'Smile session inventory' thread is really useful but it still takes some deciphering to figure out exactly which tracks are being referred to; also it's not entirely complete (the Good Vibrations section only includes stuff from the Unsurpassed Masters boots, and not TSS box or other bootlegs).

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 06:10:04 AM »

And it might be nice to catalogue the instrumental takes that TSS has that are missing from Unsurpassed Masters.  What we need to do is compile from UM and other boots AND TSS The most complete chronological record of the Smile sessions.  TSS complete and Unedited, at least based on the sources available.  There are still vault items that could be released - like a stereo You're Welcome, stereo Barnshine with vocals (or was it stero Barnyard with vocals) - this may inspire me to go back and listen to everything I have Smile related yet again!

OK I am working on this.  No idea how long it'll take, this is actually really time consuming! 

I just noticed Jason did this on a reference thread already.  Maybe an update or any corrections to what he has would be useful?  He also used Secret Smile and some other boots as sources.

Oh, I thought you meant compiling an audio version of this!  Man, and I've spent the last few days merging my Smile Sessions with Unsurpassed Masters 16 and 17, Vigotone, Archaeology and Secret Smile, then organizing them by recording date! 

I still think this would be a really worthwhile endeaver if you're willing to continue with this. I remember how much of an enourmous task it was tracking down all these different bootlegs, and then spending hours trying to find duplicates and figure out recording dates (I'm still not entirely sure I've got it right!), so if you could spare new fans from going through all of this it might be worth it! I'd still be really interested in this even if it was just to compare my playlist against what you came up with.

The 'Smile session inventory' thread is really useful but it still takes some deciphering to figure out exactly which tracks are being referred to; also it's not entirely complete (the Good Vibrations section only includes stuff from the Unsurpassed Masters boots, and not TSS box or other bootlegs).

Yep I am still working on this!  And i agree about the lack of take specifics in regards to TSS, and I've found the reason for this is that the recordings REALLY jump around on TSS!  It's literally a collage of highlights from entire tracking sessions, sometimes with take call-outs preceding completely different takes!  What I plan to do is patch in the TSS sessions into the other more complete tracking sessions from Archaeology and SOT17 to make it more accurate and complete (much like what Purple Chick did for A/B road, creating a complete Get back Sessions).  But that would have to be the final step, after 1) collecting all the recordings and then 2) sorting them.  I am also splitting all takes into their own tracks. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:49:16 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

Where I am at this point, is I am missing only a few necessary bootlegs...  If someone has a lossless copy of the SOT Source Tape,  and Heroes and Villains Sessions vol 1 & 2, and Heroes and Villains Sessions One and Two it would be greatly appreciated if you PM'd me! 

We'd appreciate it even more if you check the board rules, especially #3 regarding offering or asking for bootleg material.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html

Don't do this again please.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »

Yeah, the preview was tightly controlled and I thought no physical sets were distributed and that it was not possible to make a digital copy of the preview.

But that is definitely one of the more obvious missing tracks from the Sessions set - Barnyard with backing vocals!

Perhaps this person thought of them as separate CDs; I don't really know, just how they described it to me!  

Was there talk at the time of release, as to why they had the track on the promos but not on the released version?  

And I wonder , if perhaps there was a time constraint as to how long these couldn't be copied or if it was forever?  

The set was sent out to a small set of reviewers as a watermarked physical 5-CD set.  The discs are individually labeled with a unique serial number and the name of the recipient.  I'm assuming that information is also embedded in the data on the discs.  Here's the set I obtained from a third-party (name and serial number redacted); I just checked Disc 2, Track 4, and it is "Barnyard" with the backing vocals, with a count-in and long fade.

Lee

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:18:38 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

The set was sent out to a small set of reviewers as a watermarked physical 5-CD set.  The discs are individually labeled with a unique serial number and the name of the recipient.  I'm assuming that information is also embedded in the data on the discs.  Here's the set I obtained (name and serial number redacted); I just checked Disc 2, Track 4, and it is "Barnyard" with the backing vocals, with a count-in and long fade.

Lee

Thos look GREAT!!!!  ( methinks, you should/ should have also post them in media with your other promo cds)

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »

Chris, I have so many promo CDs, and I have to take pics of front cover, back cover, and disc, then resize...  It's a pain.  If you want just front covers maybe I can take them 4, 6, 8 at a time.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »

Chris, I have so many promo CDs, and I have to take pics of front cover, back cover, and disc, then resize...  It's a pain.  If you want just front covers maybe I can take them 4, 6, 8 at a time.

Lee

Hey, you're the one that wanted to do something else!
 Me, I put them on the scanner,scan/crop,scan/crop,scan/crop, for each one, save, upload each one to Tinypics, post each one to Smiley.
I never said it was EASY. It's a labor of love for your fellow Smilers.   edit: perhaps we do it for ourselves
Nobody forces me, you, anyone to do it
edit: I just did a magazine, took about 50 minutes...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:49:40 AM by bgas » Logged

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

Lee, besides the Barnyard with backing vocals, any other differences between the promo set and the released version?  I seem to remember a different "Do a Lot" session with chatter that was posted online as a Smile Sessions preview that I didn't hear on the released version, but I don't know if that made the promo set.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »

Oooh, that's a tough one, with over 5 hours of music to listen to and compare to the commercial release...  I wouldn't have even known about the "Barnyard" difference had another Smiley Board member not tipped me off to it...

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

Oooh, that's a tough one, with over 5 hours of music to listen to and compare to the commercial release...  I wouldn't have even known about the "Barnyard" difference had another Smiley Board member not tipped me off to it...

Lee

BUT surely you have such an incredible grasp of the BBs and SMiLE that you'd know the instant you heard even ONE different note....

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 12:21:15 AM »

And it might be nice to catalogue the instrumental takes that TSS has that are missing from Unsurpassed Masters.  What we need to do is compile from UM and other boots AND TSS The most complete chronological record of the Smile sessions.  TSS complete and Unedited, at least based on the sources available.  There are still vault items that could be released - like a stereo You're Welcome, stereo Barnshine with vocals (or was it stero Barnyard with vocals) - this may inspire me to go back and listen to everything I have Smile related yet again!

OK I am working on this.  No idea how long it'll take, this is actually really time consuming!  

I just noticed Jason did this on a reference thread already.  Maybe an update or any corrections to what he has would be useful?  He also used Secret Smile and some other boots as sources.

Oh, I thought you meant compiling an audio version of this!  Man, and I've spent the last few days merging my Smile Sessions with Unsurpassed Masters 16 and 17, Vigotone, Archaeology and Secret Smile, then organizing them by recording date!  

Yep I am still working on this!  And i agree about the lack of take specifics in regards to TSS, and I've found the reason for this is that the recordings REALLY jump around on TSS!  It's literally a collage of highlights from entire tracking sessions, sometimes with take call-outs preceding completely different takes!  What I plan to do is patch in the TSS sessions into the other more complete tracking sessions from Archaeology and SOT17 to make it more accurate and complete (much like what Purple Chick did for A/B road, creating a complete Get back Sessions).  But that would have to be the final step, after 1) collecting all the recordings and then 2) sorting them.  I am also splitting all takes into their own tracks.  

You are truly doing God's work. I've wanted to do this too but no way in hell do I have the time or reasources. My SMiLE collection is the box set, UM17 a few other lesser boots and a scrambled mess of fanmixes I've found and random clips I've downloaded off YouTube and elsewhere from before the box set when I was hungry for any pieces I could find.

Itd be so cool to see how it all fits together. How every take of every section of every song falls into the big picture chronologically and witness Brian's train of thought. Not to mention know exactly what sections/takes are missing. Please do share when this monumental task is done. And thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:24:17 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx