gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:12:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBN vocals in Lei'd In Hawaii  (Read 2453 times)
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »

Why you guys think Brian didn't sing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" lead in Lei'd In Hawaii? Has him ever talked about not liking his performance at the record or was him already having concentration issues?
Stephen Desper were you there?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »

Why you guys think Brian didn't sing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" lead in Lei'd In Hawaii? Has him ever talked about not liking his performance at the record or was him already having concentration issues?
Stephen Desper were you there?

I'm just guessing the most logical, musician-based possibility. The band had been playing and singing Wouldnt It Be Nice regularly on stage for over a year by that time. I doubt Brian sang it in full from the time he laid down his last vocal on the track in the studio in early 1966 to August 1967 when they were in Hawaii. So the singer who knew the song at that point as well as anyone and had been singing it live on stage for over a year got the lead on the Hawaii stage.

Concentration issues? Ummm.....no.

And I'm also 99.9999999% confident if one were to ask him, Brian might be most proud of if not the biggest fan of his work on Pet Sounds taken as a whole, including his vocals. So I doubt he didn't like his vocal cut on the song.

I could be wrong.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

It's a very difficult song to sing, Al had already been singing it live for the past year while Brian had only sung on the recording.  So it was probably just easier that way.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »

It's a very difficult song to sing, Al had already been singing it live for the past year while Brian had only sung on the recording.  So it was probably just easier that way.

Interesting to see how the live lead progressed over the years, with Al sounding so great on that through the mid '70s, until Brian returned to the stage and they sang (or tried) singing it together (with often disastrous results). Then, Al's own performances of that lead got sloppy through the early '80s, until Carl finally took it over (and sounded great, I might add). Then in 2012, Al tpok the lead again, and sounded fine. Maybe there was a key change - I haven't compared the various versions.
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

I don't have any WIBN performance prior to 69 other than this. In Hawaii the key was the original F, in 69 was E and never changed again. Including 2012.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »

Yeah, that's what I said. The touring band playing the song regularly for over a year already had it rehearsed and down when they got to Hawaii. Maybe Brian also thought they did the song perfectly fine, had it ready to go and road-tested, why change it - and that's what they chose in Hawaii.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »

But this time Carl or Al was having to play bass
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »

But this time Carl or Al was having to play bass

Carl and Al had been playing bass in the studio anyway, Al going back years and Carl is seen as late as on the GV sessions playing Fender bass. But I guess it would throw a wrench into the works since Bruce decided to bail out on them.

Edit: Not to mention the Smiley Smile sessions which could have had any of four band members playing or even filling in on bass for that project depending on the work being done, in theory.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:09:52 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »

Interestingly, during these concerts, Brian sings lead on "You're So Good To Me" and parts of "Sloop" that others had been singing in his place on the road.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »

Interestingly, during these concerts, Brian sings lead on "You're So Good To Me" and parts of "Sloop" that others had been singing in his place on the road.

Maybe as simple as they divvied up the leads between them and picked what they wanted to sing?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »

Also, WIBN goes higher on the verses than does "You're So Good To Me."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

Perhaps Brian prefers Al singing it and wants him to sing it.  You have that occasion when Al still sang it, I think when Brian did the isolated appearances in '70 Al was singing it still. AL hadn't sung it in 20 years and all of a sudden in 2006 with Brian, they split the lead.  Then doesn't sing it again until 2012 with Brian and then last year on Brian's special.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

My favorite live rendition of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is from Live Aid in 1985 with Al and Brian doubling each other. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCm_-zvj00

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »

One of the best live versions of this song was featured on the Songs from Here and Back CD.  Lead vocal by Al, recorded in 1974, new mix by Alan Boyd and Mark Linett.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:35 AM »

One of the best live versions of this song was featured on the Songs from Here and Back CD.  Lead vocal by Al, recorded in 1974, new mix by Alan Boyd and Mark Linett.
The 2000 In Concert release with the full intro restored is my favorite live version.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:54:43 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »

My favorite live rendition of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is from Live Aid in 1985 with Al and Brian doubling each other. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCm_-zvj00
That's great! And I love that little moment between Mike and Brian at the 2-minute mark. Thanks for the link.   Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx