gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:13:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums you would change the titles to..  (Read 13772 times)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »

I still wish Dennis had completed his early 70's album and used his working title of Dennis Wilson Poops. I wonder what the cover art might have look like.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »

it just recently occurred to me that the Pet Sounds cover photo was taken in the petting zoo. hard to believe I'm just making that connection but it gives the album title whole new meaning to me. on the one hand you have Banana & Louie barking at the end of the album... actual pet sounds. you have these songs that were very dear and personal to Brian, his pet sounds. but the idea of these deep and rich melodies, harmonies, and arrangements actually reaching out and touching, stroking, petting the listener is very intimate indeed. as is the idea that the listener can do more than just listen to this album, but get very close to it and pet it. i'm finally convinced that the album is perfectly titled.

Shut Down, Vol. 2 should be Fun Fun Fun or possibly The Warmth of the Sun.

Summer Days to California Girls.

Smiley Smile to Little Pad, especially considering the cover art.

20/20 to Time To Get Alone or Our Prayer.

Sunflower I like, but I might change to This Whole World just to draw attention to one of Brian's greatest songs.

Carl and the Passions to Hold On Dear Brother or All This Is That.

MIU to Kona Coast. LA to Full Sail. KTSA to Endless Harmony.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:36:40 PM by bossaroo » Logged
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »

Surfer Girl to Catch a Wave
Shut Down Vol. 2 to The Warmth of the Sun
I like Summer Days and Summer Nights, but might change it to Summer Means New Love
Change 20/20 to The Nearest Faraway Place
Carl and the Passions to All This Is That
Light Album to Good Timin, maybe
The Beach Boys to Getcha Back
That's Why God Made the Radio to From There to Back Again
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »

That said, I think TWGMTR was a bad choice for an album title and Summer's Gone would've been much better.

Reportedly that was originally the title of the album, but the rest of the guys convinced Brian to rename it.

BTW, this thread reminds me of this blog posting regarding Atari 2600 games:

http://mightygodking.com/2008/04/21/fun-from-yesterday

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »

Shut Down Volume 2
Shut Down, In the Parking Lot

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »

MIU to CPA (Creepy Pedophile Album)

Then Lazy Lizzie should be added to the album lineup.
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »

I'm sure of the ones I would change, but don't have many creative ideas as to what I would change them to, so I'll mostly use song titles:

Surf's Up to Long Promised Road, I also like Landlocked due to the theme of the album

Carl & The Passions - So Tough to Make It Good or Cuddle Up

15 Big Ones to It's OK! (gotta use the exclamation point!)

M.I.U. to Our Team (with an album cover featuring prominently the 5 Beach Boys surrounded by spouses, girlfriends, children, supporting musicians, parents, whoever - kind of a Sunflower album cover meets the infamous 1966(?) airport photo)

L.A. Light Album to anything, maybe Baby Blue or Angel Come Home, possibly Good Timin'

Keepin' The Summer Alive to Endless Harmony or Goin' On

Beach Boys 1985 to Getcha Back, California Callin', It's Getting Late, or It's Just A Matter Of Time  

That's Why God Made The Radio to Isn't It Time, maybe Summer's Gone but that might be too ominous

Pacific Ocean Blue to Dennis Wilson

Gettin' In Over My Head to Soul Searchin'
So, refresh me on what the airport '66 photo looked like?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »

You know, for the most part, I don't have any issues with BBs' album titles. Not to say I LOVE each and every title, but they're more or less fine. I'm not a huge fan of Keepin' the Summer Alive as a title, but it's pretty much fine for that album. That's what they were desperately trying to do, after all, and it's not as insulting as the next few sentences.

Probably my main choice would be MIU. Kind of nonsensical to the average fan. But a replacement? Um ... you can't go with You're Being Robbed of Better Material We Have Lying Around, so ... I don't know. Maybe Pretty Bad Album or something?

I'm also a big fan of the idea of going from 15 Big Ones to It's OK (though I'm anti-exclamation point).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »

Sunflower - Morning View

Surf's Up - Ride The Black Wave

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »

Smiley Smile--Acid Doowop
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »

Pet Sounds I think was a wonderful title, as the contents were Brian's "pet sounds".

I'd change Shutdown Volume II to Filler Volume I.

20/20 was a perfect title (20th Capitol album), loved the eye chart!

MIU should have been Jai Groovy Dev.  Or the Frown Sessions.

Carl and the Passions to We Give Up.

LA to Gentle-fans You've Just Been F**ked!

The Beach Boys to Hey!  Remember Us??

Sunflower to "Good Weed, Man" (An Offering of Stash).  Concurrent group name change to Marijuana Boys would have helped sales considerably, surprised Reilly didn't think of that also!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »

A thankyou to Gertie J. might be in order. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »

Party to "We're Sticking This Thing Out Solely Because Some Jack Off At Capitol Records Thinks We Need To Crank Out A New Album Every Three Months And We Need To Buy Some Time So We Can Complete The Album That Brian Is About To Begin Work On That Will Ultimately Be Regarded As Our Greatest And Most Cohesive Artistic Statement, But In The Meantime, A Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Bar Ann."

Smile/Smiley Smile to "Perhaps If This Had Been Completed Properly In 1967, We Could Have Shut Many Of Our Detractors Up And Been Able To Move Beyond The Unfortunate And Inaccurate Public Perception That We're Merely A Surf, Sun And Sand (And Girls) Band, Alas it Was Not To Be For Whatever Reason(s), Depending On Who You Ask."

Endless Summer to "Sadly, This Is The Beginning Of The End For Us As A Vital, Contemporary Commercial Force That Had Just Enjoyed Our Most Creative And Artistically Interesting Period (1965-1973), Despite The Fact That, For Several Reasons, Fewer And Fewer People Were Aware Of What We Were Doing Over The Course Of The Stated Time."

15 Big Ones to the title I understand that Dennis had suggested for it ("Group Therapy") or "Warner Brothers Is Livid Because Capitol Is Making A Fortune From The Endless Summer Compilation So We Needed To Put Something New Out To (Hopefully) Alleviate The Displeasure Of Warner Brothers Over The Matter." (I don't despise 15 Big Ones, but I wish they'd restricted it to one cover song, probably Rock And Roll Music, and filled out the rest of the disc with originals, which, by most accounts, there was no shortage of at the time. Even if it put a crimp in the whole "Brian Is Back" campaign by having the rest of the group actively involved in and credited with the production, it would be more satisfying a record if it were heavier on the originals.)

Summer In Paradise to "Strange Things Happen, Lahaina Aloha And Summer In Paradise Could Have Been Wholly Respectable But The Fucking Drum Machine Is So Loud In The Mixes That You Probably Won't Be Able To Hear Them." (I don't hate SIP, or Mike Love, but the band was in such disarray at the time and the lack of creative input from everyone who wasn't Mike or Terry Melcher hampers the record. It seems like a Mike solo album that features three of the other Beach Boys. And, as with 15BO, there's the excessive number of covers. I don't dislike their takes on any of the non-BB songs, they're pleasant enough, but it's rare that a cover song, even by a great artist, is going to be better than the original version by the original artist, and it's a fools errand to even bother recording a version of something that's already had a definitive version done... IMHO.)

frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

Agreed that 20/20 would sound good as Do It Again. I think Surf's Up would work well as Long Promised Road - still gets the grandiosity the band seemed to be reaching for with that album without the baggage of Surf's Up. I've never liked the title of Smiley Smile; calling it Wind Chimes may work. It has similar-sounding words for a follow up to Pet Sounds, points to the low-key, home-recorded vibe of the album, and I can't resist the perversity of having the Smiley version of Wind Chimes as a title track.

This thread made me realize, perhaps the best Beach Boys album name is The Beach Boys Today! It's clearly in the vein of other record titles from the early 60's, but it's just so appropriate for a record as strikingly new as Today.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:08:50 PM by frightfulhog » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »

Party to "We're Sticking This Thing Out Solely Because Some Jack Off At Capitol Records Thinks We Need To Crank Out A New Album Every Three Months And We Need To Buy Some Time So We Can Complete The Album That Brian Is About To Begin Work On That Will Ultimately Be Regarded As Our Greatest And Most Cohesive Artistic Statement, But In The Meantime, A Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Bar Ann."

Smile/Smiley Smile to "Perhaps If This Had Been Completed Properly In 1967, We Could Have Shut Many Of Our Detractors Up And Been Able To Move Beyond The Unfortunate And Inaccurate Public Perception That We're Merely A Surf, Sun And Sand (And Girls) Band, Alas it Was Not To Be For Whatever Reason(s), Depending On Who You Ask."

Endless Summer to "Sadly, This Is The Beginning Of The End For Us As A Vital, Contemporary Commercial Force That Had Just Enjoyed Our Most Creative And Artistically Interesting Period (1965-1973), Despite The Fact That, For Several Reasons, Fewer And Fewer People Were Aware Of What We Were Doing Over The Course Of The Stated Time."

15 Big Ones to the title I understand that Dennis had suggested for it ("Group Therapy") or "Warner Brothers Is Livid Because Capitol Is Making A Fortune From The Endless Summer Compilation So We Needed To Put Something New Out To (Hopefully) Alleviate The Displeasure Of Warner Brothers Over The Matter." (I don't despise 15 Big Ones, but I wish they'd restricted it to one cover song, probably Rock And Roll Music, and filled out the rest of the disc with originals, which, by most accounts, there was no shortage of at the time. Even if it put a crimp in the whole "Brian Is Back" campaign by having the rest of the group actively involved in and credited with the production, it would be more satisfying a record if it were heavier on the originals.)

Summer In Paradise to "Strange Things Happen, Lahaina Aloha And Summer In Paradise Could Have Been Wholly Respectable But The Fucking Drum Machine Is So Loud In The Mixes That You Probably Won't Be Able To Hear Them." (I don't hate SIP, or Mike Love, but the band was in such disarray at the time and the lack of creative input from everyone who wasn't Mike or Terry Melcher hampers the record. It seems like a Mike solo album that features three of the other Beach Boys. And, as with 15BO, there's the excessive number of covers. I don't dislike their takes on any of the non-BB songs, they're pleasant enough, but it's rare that a cover song, even by a great artist, is going to be better than the original version by the original artist, and it's a fools errand to even bother recording a version of something that's already had a definitive version done... IMHO.)

Fiona? Is that you?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 06:19:57 AM »

Personally, I think some of their covers from the 1960s are top notch.  ie. Do You Wanna Dance, I'm So Young, Sloop John B, I Can Hear Music, etc etc. 

But I agree that the ones of 15BO, and many that came after, sound somewhat lazy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 07:20:28 AM »

That or Fractured Frown.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »

Beach Boys Love you to Brian Loves you....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 05:35:52 AM »

Fiona? Is that you?

No Fionas here. Just a Jared. Smiley

Personally, I think some of their covers from the 1960s are top notch.  ie. Do You Wanna Dance, I'm So Young, Sloop John B, I Can Hear Music, etc etc. 

But I agree that the ones of 15BO, and many that came after, sound somewhat lazy.

Yeah, the songs they covered in the '60s were pretty solid. My complaint (albeit 50 years too late) really is that their doing a cover song meant one less slot on an album for another original song. Given some of the previously unreleased tracks from the '60s that have surfaced in the past 20 years, it's sad to think they were left off of then current albums in favor of covers... or at least that's my perception, which doesn't necessarily reflect the reasons for those choices. (Don't know. Wasn't there.)   
KDS
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »

Fiona? Is that you?

No Fionas here. Just a Jared. Smiley

Yeah, the songs they covered in the '60s were pretty solid. My complaint (albeit 50 years too late) really is that their doing a cover song meant one less slot on an album for another original song. Given some of the previously unreleased tracks from the '60s that have surfaced in the past 20 years, it's sad to think they were left off of then current albums in favor of covers... or at least that's my perception, which doesn't necessarily reflect the reasons for those choices. (Don't know. Wasn't there.)   

I think the early 60s were just a different time.  It was so common then for bands to fill albums with a mix of covers and originals. 

I'd have rather jettisoned those dreadful "in the studio" bits that The Beach Boys used to put on their pre Pet Sounds records. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 07:07:23 AM »

Sunflower to We Are Hip, Really!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »

That or Fractured Frown.

It definitely needed a new name, that's for sure. Nothing else I think of really suits it either tho

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 10:22:26 PM »

The 2012 album to ANYTHING.. I Mean ANYTHING.

What if the album were called Shitting Dicknipples: The Album! ?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 08:46:51 AM »

Shut Down Volume Two > Keep an Eye On Summer

Surf's Up > Pendulum (serving as both, as a cultural reference taken from the title track and as a hint on the inconsistency
of the material included)

Carl And The Passions - 'So Tough' > So Tough

15 Big Ones > Back Home or Rock 'n' Roll Music

M.I.U. > I Want You Back (quote from "My Diane")

L.A. Light Album > Good Timin'

Keepin' The Summer Alive > Goin' On

The Beach Boys `85 > Where We Belong
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx