gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:07:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whatever Happened (Brian Wilson Cover) - Produced by Brian Wilson  (Read 5359 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »

...or something like that.

Grin

https://soundcloud.com/smilead/whatever-happened-brian-wilson-cover
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »

I really like it man, good job.  I'd like to hear it with more Hal Blaine-style drums...

zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:29:11 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »

Very good! You even mixed it to mono!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »

I really like it man, good job.  I'd like to hear it with more Hal Blaine-style drums...

Good idea. https://soundcloud.com/smilead/whatever-happened-brian-wilson-cover-version-2

Thanks guys, glad u dig it!

Bonus points to whoever figures out where I got the drums from
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »

I really like it man, good job.  I'd like to hear it with more Hal Blaine-style drums...

Good idea. https://soundcloud.com/smilead/whatever-happened-brian-wilson-cover-version-2

Thanks guys, glad u dig it!

Bonus points to whoever figures out where I got the drums from

It sounds much better with drums!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »

This is really marvelous. Showcases how strong the song is!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »

One of the very few good songs on the album and you just nailed it, dude. Seriously. Kudos. Great job and arrangement!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »

In(effing)credible!!!  Happy Dance Happy Dance Bow Bow Head Spin Head Spin Love Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Listening Listening Has Brian called you yet?? 'Scuse me, I've gotta listen to it again for the 23rd time.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:30 PM »

One of the very few good songs on the album and you just nailed it, dude. Seriously. Kudos. Great job and arrangement!

"...very few good songs on the album..." according to you. Roll Eyes Yeah, it'll be a cold day in hell when Brian can live up to your hero's solo output. I mean, how can he surpass outings like
Country luHv, Looking Back With luHv, First luHv, Sumahamina, Everyone's in luHv With You, Pisces Brothers, and the one, the only SIP?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:22:35 AM »

"...very few good songs on the album..." according to you. Roll Eyes Yeah, it'll be a cold day in hell when Brian can live up to your hero's solo output. I mean, how can he surpass outings like
Country luHv, Looking Back With luHv, First luHv, Sumahamina, Everyone's in luHv With You, Pisces Brothers, and the one, the only SIP?  Huh

No escape from this Brian vs Mike rubbish even on the sub forums?

Excellent cover btw Selt...

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »

11/10

You amaze me every time man, seriously. Keeps a guy like me putting energy into hopefully one day being this damn good.

(If only MGSV hadn't come out today... I'd be down recording now!)

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

Rock!  Very nice!

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »

amazing arrangement. could be a wild honey outtake really! your voice is really good!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »

Thanks guys, glad ya'll are digging it! It was a fun little Sunday afternoon project. I intentionally tried to sing it with early 60's BW vocal characteristics (over the sampled Walk On By instrumental of course) to give an approximation of what it could've sounded like. Although I think it may have ended sounding a little more like Carl.  Smiley

Here's a stereo remix for the completists:

https://soundcloud.com/smilead/whatever-happened-brian-wilson-cover-version-3-stereo-mix
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »

Yay my favourite song from the album, nice to hear an excellent alternative interpretation.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »

Thanks guys, glad ya'll are digging it! It was a fun little Sunday afternoon project. I intentionally tried to sing it with early 60's BW vocal characteristics (over the sampled Walk On By instrumental of course) to give an approximation of what it could've sounded like. Although I think it may have ended sounding a little more like Carl.  Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/smilead/whatever-happened-brian-wilson-cover-version-3-stereo-mix

This is my favorite - love the double tracked vocals!
(Are the drums sampled from IJWMFTT?)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »

Thanks guys, glad ya'll are digging it! It was a fun little Sunday afternoon project. I intentionally tried to sing it with early 60's BW vocal characteristics (over the sampled Walk On By instrumental of course) to give an approximation of what it could've sounded like. Although I think it may have ended sounding a little more like Carl.  Smiley

This is my favorite - love the double tracked vocals!
(Are the drums sampled from IJWMFTT?)

Thanks!

Close, it's actually from Wouldn't It Be Nice. The big snare in the chorus is from the hit at the end of the intro on the released version. The 2 other snares I used for the fills + 2nd verse are from the tracking session take where Hal comes in a little early.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »

I love the arrangement on this. It's a shame about all the autotune glitching going on here...

Like I said though, stellar arrangement! I'd love to hear this played like this live in the studio.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »

It's a shame about all the autotune glitching going on here...

True I got lazy and did the whole song down in 2 takes. Technically not supposed to record on weekends at my apartment (so lame) so I just busted it out quickly and tuned the leads in Melodyne. FWIW, there is no tuning on the harmonies.

Maybe I'll do a 4th version with non-tuned leads. Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 04:37:08 AM »

It's a shame about all the autotune glitching going on here...

True I got lazy and did the whole song down in 2 takes. Technically not supposed to record on weekends at my apartment (so lame) so I just busted it out quickly and tuned the leads in Melodyne. FWIW, there is no tuning on the harmonies.

Maybe I'll do a 4th version with non-tuned leads. Smiley

Yeah, I figured it was Melodyne given the lack of "solid" notes as such. And I thought the Harmonies sounded great! Excellent. If you can bust out a solid take for it, I'd love it Smiley

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx