gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:55:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TEENSET February 1966 Beach Boys PARTY!!!!!!  (Read 11224 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »

Finally found an excellent condition issue, and at a bargain price!!  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:07:58 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to scan (and great scans, btw) and post those, bgas - how many sets of the wallet photos do you have?

And Lennon wrote Yesterday for Macca to sing, hey? Sensational!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

Well that's a find Bgas!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to scan (and great scans, btw) and post those, bgas - how many sets of the wallet photos do you have?

I've lost count. Howzabout you?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:56:03 PM »

Yes that is Ron swallow.  I interviewed him for my book and he is a real gentleman.  He was very good friends with Carl, who he went to school with and he used to help the wilsons get their gear to shows, which eventually became a paying job. Starting in 1964 he went on most of their tours, including the first tour of Europe. He also served as their equipment manager in the studio.  He left the band in early 66 (he didnt go on the Japan tour) and tried to be a musician but ultimately developed a career outside music.  He remained friends with all the wilsons and occasionally visits Brian backstage.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

I'm thinking that maybe the guy in the blue shirt on page 33 is Terry Melcher? 

That'd make sense since Bruce was in the unedited photo, but I'm not so sure. I always thought it looked like Mike's brother, Steve.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »

I think it's one of the loves. Capitol did keep Bruce out of 1965 publicity photos but these photos were taken in September 1965 and Bruce was an official beach boy by that time
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 06:09:49 AM »

I think it's one of the loves. Capitol did keep Bruce out of 1965 publicity photos but these photos were taken in September 1965 and Bruce was an official beach boy by that time

The way I understand it, Bruce could not be included in the front cover shot of Beach Boys albums (and 45 picture sleeves) due to his contract with CBS. He could, however, be included in back cover shots and inner gatefold shots. His contract was up by 1968, so from that point onward he could be pictured on the front.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »

I think it's one of the Loves. Capitol did keep Bruce out of 1965 publicity photos but these photos were taken in September 1965 and Bruce was an official beach boy by that time

Yes, youre right, it's got to be one of Mike's brothers; but which one? 
I don't think I've ever seen family photos of Mike with his siblings; are there any available? ( vintage 1960s much preferred) 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »

Thanks for posting this article bgas! Party! is still one of my favorite Beach Boys albums.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »

Since decades ago, I read. ' blue shirt is Terry Sachen.... :   And brown shirt is Carls brother in law, Billy Hinsche'.

If you actually know it is Ron Swallow, fine.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »

Since decades ago, I read. ' blue shirt is Terry Sachen.... :   And brown shirt is Carls brother in law, Billy Hinsche'.

If you actually know it is Ron Swallow, fine.

Be interested to know where you got this, from decades ago, as the brown shirt is SO obviously NOT Billy

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »

Yeah it is Ron and it looks nothing like billy hinsche. I don't think I've seen a photo of terry sachen
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

By the way billy was not yet Carl's brother in law and was just starting to develop a friendship with him at the time
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »

Yeah it is Ron and it looks nothing like billy hinsche. I don't think I've seen a photo of terry sachen

where is Terry Sachen now?

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 03:31:53 PM »

Diddly squat!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »

Diddly squat!

man now you sound like Sam the Sham!
You don't have ANY BBs wallet photos?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »

He has one of your Social Security number! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:15 PM »

where is Terry Sachen now?

Pretty sure he's no longer with us.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:25 AM »

He has one of your Social Security number! Evil

Which is 000-00-0069, btw

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »

(Alan posts that from his new yacht in Sydney harbor) LOL

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »

Bgas, thanks for posting this.

Ian, was there actually a specific date when Bruce officially became a Beach Boy? You state he was an official Beach at some point prior September 1965, yet he does not appear on the Party Album photos (released Nov 65, although I'm not sure when the photos were taken, and as far as I can recall is not on the recording), does not appear on the Sloop John B / You're So Good to Me picture sleeve (March 66), is not on the cover of Pet Sounds, (although he was at the photo shoot and there are small black and white pictures of him on the back cover, but no group photos showing six Beach Boys) (May 66), and does not appear on the Good Vibrations picture sleeve (Oct. 66).

As a fan back then I knew Bruce was filling in for Brian on the road, but the first time I felt he had truly achieved official status was when i purchased Wild Honey in December 67 and it was obvious from the back cover that there were now six official Beach Boys. But, although I was unaware of it at the time, Bruce does appear prominently on both sides of the originally planned 1967 Capitol picture sleeve of Heroes and Villains, which ended up not being used in the US but was used for some international releases. The cover of the Friends album (June 68) was further affirmation for me that Bruce was an official Beach Boys, since there are six BBs on the cover, although it's a painting.

So, back in the day my sense was that Bruce started out as a touring replacement but as it became apparent that Brian was not going to return to the road full time and Bruce's studio presence increased he gradually became considered a full fledged member of the band. But Ian, are you saying there a specific date when Bruce became a full fledged member, and it was prior to September 1965? From what I've heard, at some point Bruce became an official voting member and shareholder of BRI, which he later sold back. The the date known when that occurred? Also, when did the first magazine articles appear listing Bruce as a fill-in or official member?

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »

The way I understand it, Bruce could not be included in the front cover shot of Beach Boys albums (and 45 picture sleeves) due to his contract with CBS. He could, however, be included in back cover shots and inner gatefold shots. His contract was up by 1968, so from that point onward he could be pictured on the front.

Craig, just curious if it's a known fact that Bruce could not appear on the front cover of BB albums and 45 picture sleeves due to his contract with Columbia records, or if it's possible this story originated as conjecture on someone's part.

His Surfin' Round the World album was released on Columbia in 1963, followed by singles attributed to Bruce & Terry and others thru 1967, but as I mentioned in my previous post, when Bruce started filling in for Brian on the road it's not like there was a sudden announcement made to the world stating, "Hey, we've got a sixth Beach Boy and his name is Bruce Johnston." At least I don't recall such a statement, but if there was I'm all for being corrected.

As a fan back in the day it seemed to me that Bruce gradually became recognized as an official Beach Boy, with Capitol initially wanting to keep the appearance of five official Beach Boys, with Brian at the helm. If Bruce did in fact have an contract with Columbia after 1963, rather than Columbia simply agreeing to release his and Terry's efforts as they were submitted, did it actually stipulate that he could sing on non-Columbia releases and be pictured on the back cover of an album, but not the front, with no requirement for a statement on the album such as "Bruce Johnston appears courtesy of Columbia Records"? In other words, would such a contract say, "Hey, go ahead and help enrich other record companies by singing and/or playing on any recordings you want, just as long as your mug isn't shown on the front of an album cover or 45 picture sleeve from another record company"?

Obviously, this question about conjecture revolves around conjecture on my part, Craig, so I await your expert opinion.

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »

Bruce was indeed announced as Brians replacement. I have ...somewhere...a magazine from The BB fan club at the time, written mostly by Derek Taylor , saying just that. Plus, Brian is interviewed and welcomes Bruce to the fold.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »

Bruce was indeed announced as Brians replacement. I have ...somewhere...a magazine from The BB fan club at the time, written mostly by Derek Taylor , saying just that. Plus, Brian is interviewed and welcomes Bruce to the fold.

You mean, of course, The Beach Boys Scene
Volume 1, No.2 is dated August 1966;  ( Volume 1, No. 1 dated June 1965 referred to the BB5)  

all three issues  can be seen in this thread : http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10376.msg189837.html#msg189837  ( May 26-June 2 2011)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:22:04 PM by bgas » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx