gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Latest Purchases  (Read 5039 times)
Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »

So-so happy to have these beauties now in my collection, I lucked up and got them both at a beyond far price(s)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:44:23 AM by Coachhill » Logged

“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things,
because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
~Walt Disney~
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »

What do you have from previously?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:51:55 PM »

Not sure what you are asking

~Walt Disney~
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Not sure what you are asking

I don't remember you posting any pics of your collection previous to this. What else you got that's cool?

Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »

oh, I gotcha now. Other than those 2, not much. I have Brian's Smile, both of Carl's records and Dennis Pacific Ocean Blue

~Walt Disney~
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »

Rock! Great stuff, Coachhill,  deliriously envious of your find. 

Enjoy those babies; will you dare play 'em?

- A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »

- A

Good question I think! For Me, I'd never play a Candix 45( haven't played any of mine), but I could see popping the Barbie boot on the turntable

Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »

I have played them both once and now they are put up. Curious question Barbie boot?

~Walt Disney~
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »

I have played them both once and now they are put up. Curious question Barbie boot?

The Kenny /Cadets is a boot

Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »

Really? What are the signs of a boot?

~Walt Disney~
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

Original copies have a pink label with blue writing; boot has a white label with black writing.  Original (in black vinyl) is worth around $500; boot is worth around $20.

Lee
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »

- A

Good question I think! For Me, I'd never play a Candix 45( haven't played any of mine), but I could see popping the Barbie boot on the turntable

I now play ALL of my records.  And I drive my antique Chevy frequently.    Decided I wanted to be the guy to actually enjoy this stuff before I die and it passes to someone else
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »

- A

I now play ALL of my records.  And I drive my antique Chevy frequently.    Decided I wanted to be the guy to actually enjoy this stuff before I die and it passes to someone else

Funny. I enjoy my records very much, but I don't feel the need to degrade them by subjecting them to a sharp pointed object, cutting and drawing vinyl blood. 
 I feel certain the person(s) at Goodwill will be a lot happier finding my records than yours

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »

To the original poster: Your "Surfin'" on Candix is the later version with "DIST BY ERA RECORD SALES" on the label.  Copies that don't mention ERA are rarer.  The value can vary widely based on condition; opinions will vary on value, but a MINT condition copy can go for $250 or more.  But when the condition drops, the value drops exponentially.  A VG+ copy drops to $150 or less, and a VG copy to $75 or less.  The ERA Records sleeve is very nice.  If that's the copy that sold on eBay for $46.55 you did pretty well -- assuming the condition is as described. If the condition is VG- or worse it could be worth $30 or less.

Lee
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:20:11 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »

Funny. I enjoy my records very much, but I don't feel the need to degrade them by subjecting them to a sharp pointed object, cutting and drawing vinyl blood. 
 I feel certain the person(s) at Goodwill will be a lot happier finding my records than yours

How do you know if a record contains the music inscribed on its label if you have never played it?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »

How do you know if a record contains the music inscribed on its label if you have never played it?

I'll just let you worry about it

SBonilla
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »

Look at the deadwax and check the matrix number.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »

Chris, I would advise play-grading your Candix singles once... Something about the vinyl used by Candix/ERA causes an audible hiss after a number of plays that isn't visible to the naked eye.  I've had a couple of copies that looked VG+ or better, but played like a 10th generation cassette.  The only way to definitively grade a copy is to play it.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »

Chris, I would advise play-grading your Candix singles once... Something about the vinyl used by Candix/ERA causes an audible hiss after a number of plays that isn't visible to the naked eye.  I've had a couple of copies that looked VG+ or better, but played like a 10th generation cassette.  The only way to definitively grade a copy is to play it.

Lee

Just before I put them up for sale( to pay for BD's schooling) I'll do it!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »

Can you have an audience of collectors and Mikie on work release there? Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »

Lee
So, even the way the record plays and sounds counts in the grading? I always assumed it was physical appearance alone. I wonder if that is also a factor for vintage Beatles records?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »

To the original poster: Your "Surfin'" on Candix is the later version with "DIST BY ERA RECORD SALES" on the label.  Copies that don't mention ERA are rarer.  The value can vary widely based on condition; opinions will vary on value, but a MINT condition copy can go for $250 or more.  But when the condition drops, the value drops exponentially.  A VG+ copy drops to $150 or less, and a VG copy to $75 or less.  The ERA Records sleeve is very nice.  If that's the copy that sold on eBay for $46.55 you did pretty well -- assuming the condition is as described. If the condition is VG- or worse it could be worth $30 or less.

Lee

Lee, I did buy it on ebay, for close to the price you mentioned, i knew it was the first run, but i wanted it in my collection.

~Walt Disney~
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »

Don't get me wrong -- a copy of Candix 301 regardless of "with ERA" or "without ERA" is a neat piece to have in your collection.  You're more likely to find an ERA copy in the central US or on the east coast, because that version was pressed in larger quantities and got wider distribution, but the more time goes by, the less copies survive.  Enjoy it -- and since it's not in mint unplayed condition don't be afraid to play it!

Lee
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »

So, even the way the record plays and sounds counts in the grading? I always assumed it was physical appearance alone. I wonder if that is also a factor for vintage Beatles records?

I would think Perry Cox or Doug Sulpy would say yes, play-grading is important for rarer records.  I'm pretty sure Rockaway play grades their rarer records.  Play-grading also lets you know if there's an edge warp or off-center pressing that isn't visible to the naked eye.  I know from experience -- I bought a mint copy of "Pamela Jean" by The Survivors back in the '80s for $100 (the most I had ever paid for a record), and years later I happened to put it on a turntable and it has a slight warp. Lesson learned.

Lee
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »

So-so happy to have these beauties now in my collection, I lucked up and got them both at a beyond far price(s)
Neat.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx