gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 09:51:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's A New Day  (Read 3181 times)
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »

Can anyone give me some info on this song?  I know it was a Dennis composition and Blondie sang.  Someone had posted it on YouTube and said it was recorded around the time Surf's Up was recorded?  Is there any truth to that?  If that was the case, then Blondie sang lead on the song before he was an official member of the group.  Any facts about the song would be appreciated!  Thanks!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:57:49 PM »

According to Jon Stebbins, the song was intended to be used as a shampoo or hair gel commercial or something, and when Dennis tried to pitch it to said company, he was threatened with defenestration.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »

According to Jon Stebbins, the song was intended to be used as a shampoo or hair gel commercial or something, and when Dennis tried to pitch it to said company, he was threatened with defenestration.

Wow, that's interesting.

Thanks!
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Did someone tell Denis to go follicle himself?

Make waves, not love
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »

He wanted a stupid amount of money for the song.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »

According to Brad's book, "It's A New Day" was written by Dennis, Daryl Dragon and Stanley Shapiro (the latter of whom co-authored "WIBNTLA" with DW). "It's A New Day" and another DW/Daryl Dragon composition, "Behold The Night", were copyrighted August 18, 1972. Doesn't mean they weren't recorded a year or so earlier, though.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »

I was always under the impression that "It's A New Day' was Blondie's first session with the band until he recently told me that the bass part on "Student Demonstration Time" was his first recorded work for The BB's.

Speaking of Blondie, some new paintings of his are now up for auction. . . .

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&chkNotSold=0&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=blondie+chaplin&ic=homepage-search-071713
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

I know this has nothing to do with my original topic, but it is Dennis related so I'm going to ask.  How come Dennis never received a writing credit for "You Are So Beautiful"?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »

I know this has nothing to do with my original topic, but it is Dennis related so I'm going to ask.  How come Dennis never received a writing credit for "You Are So Beautiful"?

I think there are many stories behind it...one saying that he didn't really want credit for it...but I don't know.

When I asked Billy when he was at Beatlefest in 2003 or 2004 what parts of the song Dennis wrote, he laughed and said "WHO!?!?!" I think he followed that with "Naw, man, he's trippin'! He didn't write that song!"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »

BTW....I urge you to seek out a copy of Net Sounds 4: Ear Candy...the fourth in a series of fan-made Beach Boys covers from the Pet Sounds Mailing List. That's actually the worldwide debut of "It's A New Day," by Jason Penick and Dan Addington.

From what I'm told, Adam Webb was working on the book Dumb Angel and in his research for the book found sheet music for "It's A New Day." Since he couldn't read music, he asked Dan if he'd mind recording a demo. Those of you who know Dan will be very UNsurprised to know that Dan would have walked on his buttocks over to Adam for that opportunity! Since none of them knew what the song was supposed to sound like (this was before the actual track had leaked), they had to come up with their own interpretation. It's....stunning. Very gorgeous. It has everything you'd ever want to have in a Dennis song. Dan and J did a much mellower reading than what the Beach Boys did...and IMHO it's tons better.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »

I was always under the impression that "It's A New Day' was Blondie's first session with the band until he recently told me that the bass part on "Student Demonstration Time" was his first recorded work for The BB's.

Wow.  Thanks for that info!  I had no idea.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:34:04 PM »

I think there are many stories behind it...one saying that he didn't really want credit for it...but I don't know.

When I asked Billy when he was at Beatlefest in 2003 or 2004 what parts of the song Dennis wrote, he laughed and said "WHO!?!?!" I think he followed that with "Naw, man, he's trippin'! He didn't write that song!"

I beleive its also Billy who has told the story on more than one occasion of how Dennis and Billy seem to have written the song together.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 02:22:48 AM »

The Billy at the Beatlefest would be Preston, not Hinsche.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx