gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:55:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs of the '80s  (Read 4112 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

I know how much Smilers love magazines' lists, so why not check out Pitchfork's picks for the 200 best songs of the 1980s? I anticipate 100% agreement and no disparaging comments whatsoever.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9700-the-200-best-songs-of-the-1980s/

(Go ahead, rant your cranky faces off.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »

Someone sure loves their long forgotten 1980s hip hop. Oh and Andrew will be delighted to see The Smiths are ranked in the top 10.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »

The term "long forgotten" in no way applies to Public Enemy, De La Soul, Run-D.M.C, Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A., or the Beastie Boys.

I don't really care about lists, it's not like it's the last word on the subject. The only thing I find annoying about lists is people's reactions to them.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »

The term "long forgotten" in no way applies to Public Enemy, De La Soul, Run-D.M.C, Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A., or the Beastie Boys.

I don't really care about lists, it's not like it's the last word on the subject. The only thing I find annoying about lists is people's reactions to them.

Bad day at work?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »

Bad day at work?

Nope, I just happen to think you are incorrect. Additionally, out of all the forgotten songs on the list, you only picked the genre of hip hop as having the songs that are forgotten, which makes me assume you have some sort of bias against the genre. Maybe you don't, I dunno. It's not an entirely uncommon view around these parts.

Also, I do think that people's reactions are annoying. Like, why does everyone get so angry? Here's an idea: go make your own list. I 100% guarantee people will disagree with some aspects of your list as well. Where does that leave you (not you specifically, Mike's Beard) and your superior tastes? The reason I like looking at lists is to find new things to listen to. Different approach compared to others, I guess.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »

Also, I do think that people's reactions are annoying. Like, why does everyone get so angry? Here's an idea: go make your own list. I 100% guarantee people will disagree with some aspects of your list as well. Where does that leave you (not you specifically, Mike's Beard) and your superior tastes? The reason I like looking at lists is to find new things to listen to. Different approach compared to others, I guess.

You sum up my feelings exactly.

As if any group who makes these lists expects it to be taken as definitive and objective.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:39:08 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:27:14 PM »

Here's the thing, I'd never be so presumptuous to call something as subjective as music the 'best' 100 or 200 songs of whatever. Call it something like 'Our favorite 200 songs of the '80s', then it's just a bunch of dudes giving their mostly lame taste in music.

KDS
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:45:31 AM »

I'm not really sure what demo this site is going for, but it surely isn't for rock fans. 

And I agree with Mike's Beard.  I know it's semantics, but it would better to list these as "Our Favorites" rather than "The Best."  As a fan of primarily rock music, this is a pretty shaky list.  Especially since hard rock was huge in the 1980s. 

Love it or hate it, no list of 200 songs from the 1980s can possibly leave off what is usually referred to by cynics as "hair metal."  And no, Guns N Roses doesn't count.  As I'm a rock fan, I'll at least acknowledge that no list of 200 80s songs would be complete without the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. 

But, the history of rock and roll and music in general is constant being rewritten by the hipper than thou crowd. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »

Someone sure loves their long forgotten 1980s hip hop.

Given that it is the decade in which the genre was born and arguably made definitive for many to follow, I don't really understand what you mean.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:49 AM »

And I would read Pitchfork's or Rolling Stone's tops any day over a nobody's list. Which isn't to say that I will automatically agree with them or something, but it is different.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »

And I would read Pitchfork's or Rolling Stone's tops any day over a nobody's list. Which isn't to say that I will automatically agree with them or something, but it is different.

The only music lists I tend to pay any mind to these days are from the UK's Classic Rock magazine.  Classic Rock employs rock journalists and had been embraced by the rock community.  And don't let the title fool you, I've discovered many cool newer bands thanks to this magazine as they promote bands with a "true" or "classic" rock sound. 

And, unlike Rolling Stone, Classic Rock doesn't try to be hip or cool.  In fact, they once waged a "War Against Cool" around 2004.  You won't find them pandering and putting Taylor Swift or Kanye West on a list of greatest songwriters. 

But, as I said, I'm biased towards rock and roll. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »

Someone sure loves their long forgotten 1980s hip hop.

Given that it is the decade in which the genre was born and arguably made definitive for many to follow, I don't really understand what you mean.

While people remember the likes of The Beastie Boys, NWA and De La Soul, mention Jungle Brothers, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, or Boogie Down Productions and chances are you'll be met with a blank stare.

I'm not really sure what demo this site is going for, but it surely isn't for rock fans. 

As a fan of primarily rock music, this is a pretty shaky list.  Especially since hard rock was huge in the 1980s. 

Love it or hate it, no list of 200 songs from the 1980s can possibly leave off what is usually referred to by cynics as "hair metal."
 But, the history of rock and roll and music in general is constant being rewritten by the hipper than thou crowd.

Apparently they needed to make room for all the Janet fucking Jackson songs. Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »

The only music lists I tend to pay any mind to these days are from the UK's Classic Rock magazine.  Classic Rock employs rock journalists and had been embraced by the rock community.  And don't let the title fool you, I've discovered many cool newer bands thanks to this magazine as they promote bands with a "true" or "classic" rock sound. 

And, unlike Rolling Stone, Classic Rock doesn't try to be hip or cool.  In fact, they once waged a "War Against Cool" around 2004.  You won't find them pandering and putting Taylor Swift or Kanye West on a list of greatest songwriters. 

But, as I said, I'm biased towards rock and roll. 

Totally legit opinion, but you said yourself, you're biased. I'd argue any "war against cool," for example, is exactly the same thing as being "cool." Just in reverse. And I'd say pandering for T. Swift or K. West is no different than pandering for [insert rock band]. Everyone has a perspective, and it seems most people think their own is somehow the straight-talking, unvarnished truth, while all those OTHER perspectives are jaded, biased, compromised. That said, taking any list too seriously is pretty absurd.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »

While people remember the likes of The Beastie Boys, NWA and De La Soul, mention Jungle Brothers, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, or Boogie Down Productions and chances are you'll be met with a blank stare.
Is that true? Who are you mentioning them to? I guess that is probably true for a very white-bread pop audience.

Apparently they needed to make room for all the Janet fucking Jackson songs. Grin

Janet Jackson had some great, great music. Though really I thought her early to mid 90s stuff was her best, so irrelevant here.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »

And I agree with Mike's Beard.  I know it's semantics, but it would better to list these as "Our Favorites" rather than "The Best."  As a fan of primarily rock music, this is a pretty shaky list.  Especially since hard rock was huge in the 1980s. 

Love it or hate it, no list of 200 songs from the 1980s can possibly leave off what is usually referred to by cynics as "hair metal."  And no, Guns N Roses doesn't count.  As I'm a rock fan, I'll at least acknowledge that no list of 200 80s songs would be complete without the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. 

Hair Metal was a crime against music. I'm thankful there were such things as New Wave and College Rock.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 05:51:12 AM »

Hair Metal was a crime against music. I'm thankful there were such things as New Wave and College Rock.

You and I are on opposite sides of the fence.  I liked some New Wave, The Cars in particular.  But for the most part, can't stand college rock. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 06:18:22 AM »

Hair metal was essential: otherwise it wouldn't have been such a phenomenon. Sure, it was hated by its immediate predecessors and successors, but that's to be expected. Time fixes all that.

The fashion side is ludicrous, but I'd argue all fashion is ludicrous. (Leather and a pink boa is absurd, but leather and denim isn't? Six layers of dirty flannel aren't?) If we're just talking music, there's something there to enjoy (and plenty of crap).

KDS
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »

Hair metal was essential: otherwise it wouldn't have been such a phenomenon. Sure, it was hated by its immediate predecessors and successors, but that's to be expected. Time fixes all that.

The fashion side is ludicrous, but I'd argue all fashion is ludicrous. (Leather and a pink boa is absurd, but leather and denim isn't? Six layers of dirty flannel aren't?) If we're just talking music, there's something there to enjoy (and plenty of crap).

I honestly think if you strip off the hairspray, makeup, music video cliches (keeping in mind MTV was a new thing), etc etc from the so called hair metal movement, you actually have a lot of very good hard rock music from that time period. 

Just MHO. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »

I honestly think if you strip off the hairspray, makeup, music video cliches (keeping in mind MTV was a new thing), etc etc from the so called hair metal movement, you actually have a lot of very good hard rock music from that time period. 

Just MHO. 

Totally agree, at least that it has the same proportion of good music within it as any other style.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »

There was some seriously good guitar players during the LA Glam scene. Just a shame that most singers from that era modeled themselves on the Vince Neil helium vocal style. 

KDS
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »

There was some seriously good guitar players during the LA Glam scene. Just a shame that most singers from that era modeled themselves on the Vince Neil helium vocal style. 

True, this was the end of an era of distinctive guitar players.  When you listen to music from that time, you can easily say "that's Mick Mars, that's Eddie Van Halen, that's George Lynch, that's Slash, etc etc."

While there are some bands today that feature very good guitarists, I can't think of one off-hand that has their own distinct sound. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »

True, this was the end of an era of distinctive guitar players.  When you listen to music from that time, you can easily say "that's Mick Mars, that's Eddie Van Halen, that's George Lynch, that's Slash, etc etc."

While there are some bands today that feature very good guitarists, I can't think of one off-hand that has their own distinct sound. 

As well as "crossover" guys: guitar geek types who weren't necessarily hair metal at heart, but rode the wave to some extent. Steve Vai, Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, and Paul Gilbert to name a few.

KDS
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »

As well as "crossover" guys: guitar geek types who weren't necessarily hair metal at heart, but rode the wave to some extent. Steve Vai, Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, and Paul Gilbert to name a few.

Yes!!  Reb Beach is a great example.  I saw him play with both Winger and Whitesnake in the last few years, and he was awesome. 

I'm a big Zakk Wylde fan too with Ozzy, Pride and Glory, BLS.  He might be the last true guitar hero. 

Also, the great Yngwie Malmsteen. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »

What about Peter Buck, Bob Stinson, Ricky Wilson, Johnny Marr, the Reid Brothers, Kevin Shields, the Edge, Johnny Ramone, Paul Reynolds, Andy Taylor, Mick Jones, etc., etc., etc.?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 04:42:41 AM »

What about Peter Buck, Bob Stinson, Ricky Wilson, Johnny Marr, the Reid Brothers, Kevin Shields, the Edge, Johnny Ramone, Paul Reynolds, Andy Taylor, Mick Jones, etc., etc., etc.?

They don't really fit the category we're talking about. Apples and oranges.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx