gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:40:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iain Lee  (Read 6735 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:45 AM »

It's all about opinions Ian!  I love Love You because it it has a bit of a don't give a f*** attitude about it.  It's not of it's time, wasn't commercial but Brian worked hard on it and it's a very Brian album in so many ways.  A lot going on in those tracks.  The first time I heard it was a bit jarring although I had heard the piano demos first so was aware of the voice beforehand.

Welcome to the board, I used to enjoying watching you and Kate on RI:SE and the 11 O'Clock show with Daisy.

Are you still thinking about getting some of Mike's solo stuff released?

Cheers.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 01:25:36 AM »

Now...Love You...come on guys...that sucks.....

How many times have you tried love you? It took me and probably quite a few others here a number of listens before getting it. Now it's in my top 10 favorite albums ever.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 03:26:31 AM »

Ha, some interesting and some very funny posts. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

As awkward, off-putting, and uncomfortable as those lyrics and sentiments can be to some, those songs from a melodic and harmonic standpoint are as interesting as Brian's 62-66 output. I have jammed with fellow BB fans and we discovered that anytime we tried to do a LOVE YOU song, the structure and changes were completely unpredictable. When the Pet Sounds mailing list did their tribute CDs in the late 90's/early 2000's, the album whose songs were covered the most was LOVE YOU.

Once you look past the goofy, bat-sh*t crazy lyrics and the rough vocals, you will find rich melodicism.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
IainLee
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 03:32:25 AM »

How many times have you tried love you? It took me and probably quite a few others here a number of listens before getting it. Now it's in my top 10 favorite albums ever.

I'm slightly exaggerating. I've listen to Love You 100's of times. Not my least favourite by any stretch. I quite enjoy bits of it. It's just...I am surprised by the passion it brings out in people. I don't know. I know some people dig the fact it's virtually a Brian solo album, they live the quirkiness, the synths, all of that. It just sits uncomfortably with me. Hey. Horses for courses. And I'd never have a go at someone for loving it or for hating a song or album. It's all music. Just keen to understand why and how some people are passionate about something that leaves me a little cold.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 03:52:38 AM »

This calls for a confusingly titled thread called 'Why Do You Hate Love You' Iain.   Wink

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:53:54 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 05:53:37 AM »

Iain sings Darlin' and Do It Again in this podcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02z0djy
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 06:07:12 AM »

Iain, I'm assuming you're not gonna be putting out that Mike Love solo album after all?
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »

Iain interview with Brian in 2011 on the topic of the Gershwin album:

http://theiainlee.podbean.com/e/iain-lee-vs-brian-wilson-episode-15/

And Glenn Campbell:

http://theiainlee.podbean.com/e/iain-lee-vs-radio-episode-13-vs-glen-campbell/

What's the full story of Brian calling Iain at home?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:30:16 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »

Iain interview with Brian in 2011 on the topic of the Gershwin album:

http://theiainlee.podbean.com/e/iain-lee-vs-brian-wilson-episode-15/

And Glenn Campbell:

http://theiainlee.podbean.com/e/iain-lee-vs-radio-episode-13-vs-glen-campbell/

What's the full story of Brian calling Iain at home?

Lovely interviews there by Iain, I have heard the BW one before but not the one with Glenn.
The Glenn interview is lovely (and equally sad) and you can only feel for the chap, just amazing considering his condition that not only can he remember 'Guess I'm Dumb' but can actually recall and sing the lyrics to that fine song.
IainLee
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »

I'd done a previous interview with Brian which I've since lost. My first one and I was dead nervous. He asked what my fave BB song was and was really surprised when I said Marcella. He then started singing it to me and I just welled up. Incredible stuff.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:19:26 AM by IainLee » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »

I just  listened  to your 2011 interview  Iain , and it was great...thanks for  sharing it!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx