gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:52:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made in California - questions about different mixes  (Read 1753 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »

I finally got around to buying Made in California and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, especially the last two discs! I want to load all of the songs or mixes that I don't have already onto the computer, while avoiding those songs that would be duplicates (something I imagine a lot of people here also did.) In doing this, some questions have come up about different mixes that I was hoping you all could help me answer. I have tried my best with the search function, but the only question I could find an answer to was Breakaway - and even then the poster didn't say if it was a vintage mix or a newly created one. So basically, I want to know what makes some of these mixes different from the mixes I already have, where it's not obvious to my ears, and also as much background as you knowledgeable people might be able to give!

1. What is the difference between the Made in California mix of the 1967 Surfs Up demo and the Smile Sessions mix?
2. Where else has the single version of California Saga been released? I'm trying to figure out if I have the single version already in itunes. Is the single version very different from the album version?
3. Is the Lonely Sea version on this boxset different besides having the longer fade?
4. Other than the session excerpts, are there other differences between the Graduation Day mix on Made in California and the version on the two-fer?
5. From the Smile Sessions, the vegetables and wind chimes stereo mixes were on the LP in the box set, but not the CDs, right? Heroes Parts 1 and 2 were also only the 7 inch vinyl? And Our Prayer wasn't released on the box set in stereo? Are these the only Smile cuts on the box that weren't previously released on CD/digital?
6. What is the deal with Sail Plane Song?
7. Ditto Susie cincinatti - what makes it an unreleased 2012 mix?
8. What makes this Break Away mix different, and is it vintage? I don't have Hawthorne California, so it's new to me.
9. What's different about the It's Ok alternate mix? Is it vintage or a new creation like Rock and Roll music?
10. What are the difference's on Brian's Back from the Endless Harmony Version? I can't hear any, but it's not exactly a song I listen to all the time.

One last, more subjective questions - are there any tracks on this box set that particularly surprised you or that you didn't realize had something new or cool going on in them until you'd had the box for a while?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »

1. What is the difference between the Made in California mix of the 1967 Surfs Up demo and the Smile Sessions mix?

It sounds like some tape glitches were patched up.  Other than that, I don't think there are any  differences.

2. Where else has the single version of California Saga been released? I'm trying to figure out if I have the single version already in itunes. Is the single version very different from the album version?

The single version is on the Greatest Hits Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years CD.  Brian's vocals are more prominent in the single version, he sings "On my way" after the verses throughout.  I think the version on MIC is actually the album version.

3. Is the Lonely Sea version on this boxset different besides having the longer fade?

No, I don't think so.

5. From the Smile Sessions, the vegetables and wind chimes stereo mixes were on the LP in the box set, but not the CDs, right? Heroes Parts 1 and 2 were also only the 7 inch vinyl? And Our Prayer wasn't released on the box set in stereo? Are these the only Smile cuts on the box that weren't previously released on CD/digital?

Heroes and Villains, Parts 1 and 2 were also on the 2CD version of The Smile Sessions.  Otherwise, I think you have it covered.

8. What makes this Break Away mix different, and is it vintage? I don't have Hawthorne California, so it's new to me.

On this version, Brian sings lead on the first verse and Carl sings the second verse.  Carl sings both verses on the single version.  There's also a longer tag on this version with additional lyrics.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:26:33 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »

Yes - the overdub slate is present on the beginning.

It's a new mix.

It's a new mix made in 2012 but not released until MIC.

9. What's different about the It's Ok alternate mix? Is it vintage or a new creation like Rock and Roll music?
It's vintage.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »

I've had the box almost since it's release and have listened to it much more lately, almost to the exclusion to other comps and originals.  There are a LOT of alternate mixes and versions on MIC.   I only now sorting out the differences and nuance in comparison to other versions/mixes.  MIC is a giant gift to the hardcore fan.     Owning this box makes for a challenge when it comes to making new  personal comps
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »

It's vintage.
Also, It's Ok has a little intro thing on MiC that was absent on the original 15BO mix.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »

I believe Fun Fun Fun is a new 2012 stereo mix with the longer fade, but was not labeled as such.

The Hawthorne Breakaway mix is my favorite.  Not only with Brian on the first verse, but the mix itself just comes alive.  It would have been great if they released the a capella mix of it too.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »

I finally got around to buying Made in California and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, especially the last two discs! I want to load all of the songs or mixes that I don't have already onto the computer, while avoiding those songs that would be duplicates (something I imagine a lot of people here also did.) In doing this, some questions have come up about different mixes that I was hoping you all could help me answer. I have tried my best with the search function, but the only question I could find an answer to was Breakaway - and even then the poster didn't say if it was a vintage mix or a newly created one. So basically, I want to know what makes some of these mixes different from the mixes I already have, where it's not obvious to my ears, and also as much background as you knowledgeable people might be able to give!

4. Other than the session excerpts, are there other differences between the Graduation Day mix on Made in California and the version on the two-fer?
10. What are the difference's on Brian's Back from the Endless Harmony Version? I can't hear any, but it's not exactly a song I listen to all the time.

One last, more subjective questions - are there any tracks on this box set that particularly surprised you or that you didn't realize had something new or cool going on in them until you'd had the box for a while?

1. Didn't the Smile sessions version have stereo echo while the MC version doesn't? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
2. The single version was on the Euro CD version of 10 Years of Harmony. There's not only more Brian vocals, but his intro vocal is centered, the album version has it on the right speaker.
7. The earlier car sound effects were on the mono single mix. I think this combines that and the sound effects from the regular version, IIRC. Also, I think Al's repeated "what's she gonna do" (which I love!) is more prominent.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

I believe Fun Fun Fun is a new 2012 stereo mix with the longer fade, but was not labeled as such.

The Hawthorne Breakaway mix is my favorite.  Not only with Brian on the first verse, but the mix itself just comes alive. 

Totally agreed, it's just the last part which sounds a little awkward to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx