gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the hate for "Barbara Ann"?  (Read 17167 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »

Yeah, every band has a Barbara Ann in their catalogue but please don't compare it to 'obladi oblada', it's not that bad.

Grin

I don't mind hearing Barbara Ann at a BB/BW show.  But I thank my lucky stars that Ob-blah-blah-blah-blah was left off McCartney's setlist both times I saw him. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »

Well said KDS.  I think singing Barbara Ann is like singing a nursery rhyme or any other simple song.  It's very unpretentious.  One cannot attach any meaning to it -- or feel as if they have some greater point to make.

Yet someone walking along the street singing Obladi Oblada -- you'd have to wonder.  I would any way.  Why?  What are they singing that for?  To me, it's likely that they're thinking they're original or interesting or God-forbid -- "intelligent."

Eck.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:36 AM »

Well said KDS.  I think singing Barbara Ann is like singing a nursery rhyme or any other simple song.  It's very unpretentious.  One cannot attach any meaning to it -- or feel as if they have some greater point to make.

Yet someone walking along the street singing Obladi Oblada -- you'd have to wonder.  I would any way.  Why?  What are they singing that for?  To me, it's likely that they're thinking they're original or interesting or God-forbid -- "intelligent."

Eck.
Oh, Bean Bag, I love Oh bla-di, Oh, bla-da! It's goofy, but, with all the Beatles' intensity, it's a place for them, and us, not to take ourselves so seriously. Same with Barbara Ann!

This is "only a movie."   LOL
KDS
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »

At least Barbara Ann was a cover.  Paul McCartney wrote Oblahdee Obladuh. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »

At least Barbara Ann was a cover.  Paul McCartney wrote Oblahdee Obladuh. 
Point is..."life goes on..."

And I like Yellow Submarine, too!

Their "light" and fun!  Wink
KDS
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:32 AM »

I enjoy The Beatles' lighter moments too:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Why Don't We Do It in the Road
Only a Northern Song
Savoy Truffle
Octapus's Garden
etc

I can't say I hate OBD OBD, but I rate it wayyyyy down on my Beatles song list.  And I definitely prefer Barbara Ann to it. 

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

Well said KDS.  I think singing Barbara Ann is like singing a nursery rhyme or any other simple song.  It's very unpretentious.  One cannot attach any meaning to it -- or feel as if they have some greater point to make.

Yet someone walking along the street singing Obladi Oblada -- you'd have to wonder.  I would any way.  Why?  What are they singing that for?  To me, it's likely that they're thinking they're original or interesting or God-forbid -- "intelligent."

Eck.
Oh, Bean Bag, I love Oh bla-di, Oh, bla-da! It's goofy, but, with all the Beatles' intensity, it's a place for them, and us, not to take ourselves so seriously. Same with Barbara Ann!

This is "only a movie."   LOL

Nothing wrong with that!  And to further contradict myself -- "silly songs" are often the best!

But I do stumble through the White Album.  Even though I like it, I tend to fight it!  Weird.  I know.  Maybe because there's a war within them?  Just thinking out loud here (and derailing the thread).  But I've always a detected a tinge of intellectualism in much of the Beatles... and mixing in with their dopey sing-along whimsical side -- the White Album is where it kind of gurgles its way to the fore.  Abbey Road -- is where it mixes perfectly.  White Album, however, is a war!  A war!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:24:16 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »

I enjoy The Beatles' lighter moments too:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Why Don't We Do It in the Road
Only a Northern Song
Savoy Truffle
Octapus's Garden
etc

I can't say I hate OBD OBD, but I rate it wayyyyy down on my Beatles song list.  And I definitely prefer Barbara Ann to it. 

Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I love.

KDS
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »

Well said KDS.  I think singing Barbara Ann is like singing a nursery rhyme or any other simple song.  It's very unpretentious.  One cannot attach any meaning to it -- or feel as if they have some greater point to make.

Yet someone walking along the street singing Obladi Oblada -- you'd have to wonder.  I would any way.  Why?  What are they singing that for?  To me, it's likely that they're thinking they're original or interesting or God-forbid -- "intelligent."

Eck.

This is "only a movie."   LOL

Nothing wrong with that!  And to further contradict myself -- "silly songs" are often the best!

But I do stumble through the White Album.  Even though I like it, I tend to fight it!  Weird.  I know.  Maybe because there's a war within them?  Just thinking out loud here (and derailing the thread).  But I've always a detected a tinge of intellectualism in much of the Beatles... and mixing in with their dopey sing-along whimsical side -- the White Album is where it kind of gurgles its way to the fore.  Abbey Road -- is where it mixes perfectly.  White Album, however, is a war!  A war!!  Cheesy

I probably like about 85% of whats on the White Album.  Its really the only Beatles album that I never listen to in its entirety (with the obvious exception of the Yellow Submarine soundtrack).  It's got something rare on Beatles albums - filler.  That's why I'm always a little miffed when I see The White Album on greatest album lists. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx