gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:49:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buccaneer Stadium in Corpus Christi, May 16, 1982  (Read 7263 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:19:23 AM »

http://www.caller.com/news/building-our-future/throwback/throwback-thursday-beach-boys-at-buc-stadium-1982-1c968b37-d3f0-307e-e053-0100007f82b1-323010391.html

A possible addition to the concert list, or another case of mistaken date?

Anyone able to identify the other players to Al's right (I'm thinking Kowalski on percussion) and to Carl's immediate right?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »

Yep looks like it happened and we will add it to bellagio
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »

Just possibly a 'free for all' on Barbara Ann with guys from the Support band
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:50:14 AM »

Vast majority of shows are catalogued and documented on bellagio but we keep finding things and updating the listings. The beauty of a website, it can be updated
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »

The guy to Carl's right is the difficult one to figure out. It kind of looks like Adrian Baker is on Bruce's keyboard, which occurred during parts of the '82 gigs Baker played. But then where's Bruce? He could be on bass behind Mike, but usually when Bruce would play bass, he wouldn't stand behind Mike. That's Ed Carter's typical spot. But Bruce rarely strapped on a guitar, so it's probably not him to Carl's right. Looks like maybe that guy is from another band or something, and Bruce just isn't in the pic, maybe hidden behind someone. The article appears to be incorrect about Brian being there, unless he's off stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

know this doesn't help with the guy to carl's right... but, gee, IDK, looks like Bruce on the Grand Piano to me.  
the guy behind Mike is blocked of course, but as Mike's just seems to be bouncing around the stage, it's not as if whoever it is is permanently stationed behind him.

I have no idea what Adrian looked like in 1982 ( or really, now) but is it impossible that he's the guy to Carl's right?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:52:30 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »

know this doesn't help with the guy to carl's right... but, gee, IDK, looks like Bruce on the Grand Piano to me.  

I thought so too but a closer look makes it seem to me as if the guy has a beard. So I guess it's Mike Meros on the Grand Piano.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

the guy behind Mike is blocked of course, but as Mike's just seems to be bouncing around the stage, it's not as if whoever it is is permanently stationed behind him.

I have no idea what Adrian looked like in 1982 ( or really, now) but is it impossible that he's the guy to Carl's right?

Certainly Bruce on the Grand Piano, doesn't look like Adrian on the keyboard (always had a little bit of a bald spot on top, haven't we all  LOL) and behind Mike is Ed Carter on Bass.
So maybe the 2 unidentified guys are from one of the Support bands 'Flash Cadillac' (being that FC were a very BB's sounding band, it would make sense).
Just had another glance at the guy on the electric keyboard, looks a little bit like Carli Munoz (did he make any rare appearances in the 80's ?)  
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »

I thought so too but a closer look makes it seem to me as if the guy has a beard. So I guess it's Mike Meros on the Grand Piano.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I zoomed and panned, best I could, and the guy has no beard. Judging by face and his shoes, I'm pretty certain it's Bruce.
Now the guy next to Carl seems to have a beard.  
and I'd bet on Ed Carter on Bass , behind Mike;
Somebody should show the pic to Jeff, he'd probably remember the guitar player

Certainly Bruce on the Grand Piano, doesn't look like Adrian on the keyboard (always had a little bit of a bald spot on top, haven't we all  LOL) and behind Mike is Ed Carter on Bass.
So maybe the 2 unidentified guys are from one of the Support bands 'Flash Cadillac' (being that FC were a very BB's sounding band, it would make sense).
Just had another glance at the guy on the electric keyboard, looks a little bit like Carli Munoz (did he make any rare appearances in the 80's ?) 

I was also thinking the guy's hair made him look like Carli, but figured he didn't play with them then. 

Have my doubts about it being a FC member as I presume they were still doing the 50's/early 60s style and wouldn't be dressed down( tho I suppose he could have changed to street)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:55:49 PM by bgas » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree. I zoomed and panned, best I could, and the guy has no beard. Judging by face and his shoes, I'm pretty certain it's Bruce.

We do not necessarily disagree. I'm currently not at home and can't look at a bigger version of the picture and as mentioned, I also thought it was Bruce. I had to squint my eyes now. So maybe I'll go back to it being Bruce when I have a chance to look at the increased picture.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »

We do not necessarily disagree. I'm currently not at home and can't look at a bigger version of the picture and as mentioned, I also thought it was Bruce. I had to squint my eyes now. So maybe I'll go back to it being Bruce when I have a chance to look at the increased picture.

you're funnyy.....

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »

I think it is, left to right:

Bruce on electric piano, Mike Kowalski on percussion, Al on guitar, Dennis on drums, Mike is dancing, Ed Carter on bass right behind Mike, skip the unknown guitar player for a minute, Carl on guitar, Jeff Foskett on guitar, and Michael Meros on grand piano.

Is it possible that Michael Meros came down from his usual setup to the left of Dennis to play the grand piano, thus moving whoever was playing the grand piano over to strap on another guitar. I mean, they wouldn't have left the grand piano vacant for various songs throughout the set with Bruce and Michael - and Dennis - occasionally going over there and play; somebody was occupying it. Billy Hinsche was the logical fit for that role but this mystery guitar player looks a bit thin for Billy. Plus, he's wearing plain old sweat pants and Billy dressed better than that.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »

Bruce on electric piano, Mike Kowalski on percussion, Al on guitar, Dennis on drums, Mike is dancing, Ed Carter on bass right behind Mike, skip the unknown guitar player for a minute, Carl on guitar, Jeff Foskett on guitar, and Michael Meros on grand piano.

Is it possible that Michael Meros came down from his usual setup to the left of Dennis to play the grand piano, thus moving whoever was playing the grand piano over to strap on another guitar. I mean, they wouldn't have left the grand piano vacant for various songs throughout the set with Bruce and Michael - and Dennis - occasionally going over there and play; somebody was occupying it. Billy Hinsche was the logical fit for that role but this mystery guitar player looks a bit thin for Billy. Plus, he's wearing plain old sweat pants and Billy dressed better than that.

we must be checking out different pictures, cuz there's no way that full head of dark hair on the electric piano is Bruce. Bruce is at the Grand; maybe he's playing DG or IWTS, but there's no doubt that's Bruce. 
And the guy next to Carl is wearing jeans; you must be looking at Jeff's pants...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »

we must be checking out different pictures, cuz there's no way that full head of dark hair on the electric piano is Bruce. Bruce is at the Grand; maybe he's playing DG or IWTS, but there's no doubt that's Bruce. 
And the guy next to Carl is wearing jeans; you must be looking at Jeff's pants...

OK, I re-looked at the photo...I know, I need a life, but it's better than posting about how bad Mike Love is. There's still another 27 pages to go on the Summer In Paradise thread for that before we move it onto the next thread...

The man on the electric piano is...drum roll...Adrian Baker! I did some research. Adrian and Jeff Foskett did overlap some shows in 1982, and, if you Google Images Adrian Baker 1982 there is a clearer picture with Adrian on electric piano. Sooooooo, I guess that is Bruce on the grand piano. Maybe Michael Meros' head is obscured by the three guitar players. That still leaves the mystery guitarist. Let's say it's Levon Helm and call it a night...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »

See ya in the morning Levon!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their contributions in trying to identify the mystery musicians!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »

Definitely Bruce on the white grand piano. Definitely Adrian on the white electric piano. I saw them in '82, and have seen enough pictures from that year (in fact, I'd obtained stills from May and June shows that year before I even saw them that September), so I'm very well acquainted with their onstage configuration that year. Kowalski on percussion (tambourines and timbales), Dennis on drums, Al on 12-string guitar to our left. Mike, Carl, and Jeff all readily identifiable. Carter and Meros obstructed from our line of vision. The mystery guitarist to Carl's right is more than likely a guy from the opening act mentioned in the article. Not unusual at all for opening acts to join the BBs onstage for "BA". The article is apparently wrong in saying Brian was at this show (notice how they say four of the originals were present, but don't mention Al. I wonder if they thought Carl was Brian and Al was Carl...or maybe they thought Jeff was either Brian or Carl...this wouldn't have been the only review from the '80s to get that wrong).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx