gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:09:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 48888 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »

Well, we've gone from the joys of SIP to trying to put an asterisks next to the record of a homerun hit without the BBs' star player to imaginary insults. Well done everybody. (slow clap)
SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.   

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.

I believe that Kokomo received the biggest response in Cincinnati for C50 as well.  I wasn't surprised because I think most people like the Beach Boys for the fun, as you indicated.  That isn't my experience so I can't relate (I like the summer/surf stuff, but not because it's fun).  I wish more people liked music for reasons other than fun, perhaps then we wouldn't have the crapola we have on the radio today, but it is what it is.  Lots of people like Stamos and Barbara Ann and Kokomo.  What can I say, I don't fit in in a lot of other ways either.

EoL
Maybe I am off the mark here, but I listen to what I like and what I like is fun for me. I have fun listening to music, even if it is in a traffic jam at rush hour. While I kind of get where you were going with your remark, understand that when people go to concerts, they expect to have fun, even at Brian Wilson concerts. Wink 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »

Well, we've gone from the joys of SIP to trying to put an asterisks next to the record of a homerun hit without the BBs' star player to imaginary insults. Well done everybody. (slow clap)
SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.    

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.

I believe that Kokomo received the biggest response in Cincinnati for C50 as well.  I wasn't surprised because I think most people like the Beach Boys for the fun, as you indicated.  That isn't my experience so I can't relate (I like the summer/surf stuff, but not because it's fun).  I wish more people liked music for reasons other than fun, perhaps then we wouldn't have the crapola we have on the radio today, but it is what it is.  Lots of people like Stamos and Barbara Ann and Kokomo.  What can I say, I don't fit in in a lot of other ways either.

EoL
Maybe I am off the mark here, but I listen to what I like and what I like is fun for me. I have fun listening to music, even if it is in a traffic jam at rush hour. While I kind of get where you were going with your remark, understand that when people go to concerts, they expect to have fun, even at Brian Wilson concerts. Wink  

I understand what you are saying.  I wouldn't say I listen to music for fun.  I'm not even sure I have fun while listening.  Maybe.  It's more of a personal and emotional experience.  I'm not sure I can define it, but I'm pretty sure I would not describe it as fun.  There are exceptions, I have been to concerts I would describe as fun (for myself).  This usually involved stage diving or some sort of fist-pumping rebellion against one form of purported authority or another.  It was fun, but only because I was releasing a deeper angst or emotion.  It was not "innocent fun" like I suppose my children are having when we go to an amusement park.

To each his own.  I don't have dancing-in-the-aisles fun at a Beach Boys concert, I'm too reserved for that (my stage diving days are long over, that behavior was an anomaly).  But I realize many do, and that is what Mike appeals to, I get it.  I think Brian appreciates this as well, but I think there is a greater depth with Brian.  I relate much more to this perceived depth than the fun, fun, fun.

EoL
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:14:47 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »

SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.   

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.

I believe that Kokomo received the biggest response in Cincinnati for C50 as well.  I wasn't surprised because I think most people like the Beach Boys for the fun, as you indicated.  That isn't my experience so I can't relate (I like the summer/surf stuff, but not because it's fun).  I wish more people liked music for reasons other than fun, perhaps then we wouldn't have the crapola we have on the radio today, but it is what it is.  Lots of people like Stamos and Barbara Ann and Kokomo.  What can I say, I don't fit in in a lot of other ways either.

EoL

I understand what you are saying.  I wouldn't say I listen to music for fun.  I'm not even sure I have fun while listening.  Maybe.  It's more of a personal and emotional experience.  I'm not sure I can define it, but I'm pretty sure I would not describe it as fun.  There are exceptions, I have been to concerts I would describe as fun (for myself).  This usually involved stage diving or some sort of fist-pumping rebellion against one form of purported authority or another.  It was fun, but only because I was releasing a deeper angst or emotion.  It was not "innocent fun" like I suppose my children are having when we go to an amusement park.

To each his own.  I don't have dancing-in-the-aisles fun at a Beach Boys concert, I'm too reserved for that (my stage diving days are long over, that behavior was an anomaly).  But I realize many do, and that is what Mike appeals to, I get it.  I think Brian appreciates this as well, but I think there is a greater depth with Brian.  I relate much more to this perceived depth than the fun, fun, fun.

EoL
I never took myself that seriously to feel that way, except for certain songs like IJWMFTT that struck a nerve. Most probably why I prefer upbeat, faster type songs over ballads and slower introspective type songs. Remember, with Brian, he wrote all that stuff. Throughout his career he touched on all facets of feelings and emotions that one goes through growing up. That is the main reason for me loving the Beach Boys; they hit on all emotions that I was going through growing up. I feel quite fortunate to have it in my life, still do. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »

Regarding SOL... Wasn't the Wilson-Love penned "Baywatch Nights" song going to be in its place?

http://www.ew.com/article/1995/03/31/back-beach From March 31st, 1995

Pop maestro Brian Wilson, 53, brother Carl, 50, and cousin Mike Love, 54, are gathered round the microphone, just like old times, singing one of those unmistakable harmonies that so often lifted the Beach Boys to the top of the charts. But this is no oldies show. The three are actually working on a new song, happily crooning, ”Meet me somewhere out in Malibu!” ”We’re putting Carl’s guitar on next,” announces Brian Wilson, ”which will make it even more raucous. It might even fly away. It’s good enough to totally fly out of the universe.”

The song is tentatively slated for submission to a new syndicated TV spin-off called Baywatch Nights. But Wilson is so pleased with the results, he’s reluctant to let it go for anything other than a Beach Boys album. ”We need this kind of a song,” he insists. ”You can’t throw away your ace.”

Baywatch Nights/Dancin' the Night Away  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJLQeWdHTs

Just to clear it up, that project was mentioned in numerous articles and came from the Was/Paley time. The first I heard of it at the time was Don Was mentioning it in a magazine. Baywatch Nights was set to air in the Fall of 95 as a separate spinoff, and Hasselhoff wanted to incorporate more music into the storylines so he cast Lou Rawls to play a nightclub owner where the plots would bring them into that nightclub and the music would be less "pop/beach/etc" and lean more toward blues...in concept. That's why Lou Rawls was cast.

I remember clearly following all of this as it played out in the press, because quite frankly it was major news in the world of the Beach Boys that Brian and Mike had been writing new songs and one of them was going to be on "Baywatch Nights" when that show finally premiered in the fall of 95.

Then the reports that summer of the filming at the beach for Baywatch (the original, not 'Nights') didn't add up, as it reported Brian being there for one video shoot (I remember thinking this had to be the Brian-Mike Baywatch Nights appearance) but he didn't show for the concert on the beach and David Marks showed up to play guitar instead. It wasn't adding up (at the time) when or how either the guys or this "new" Wilson/Love original song would actually show up on TV, so in those pre-internet days (for me at least), I followed all the papers and mags and even TV Guide, which would drop hints about what was happening.

Keep in mind what a shock it was when the Beach Boys actually ***did*** appear on something connected to Baywatch, and it was them miming in a video for a song that was three years old and featured hardly any of the musicians shown in the video actually on the track, and it was prominently a vehicle for Mike rapping the verses. And the concert and plot itself was written around the Beach Boys creating a "new" song for a charity written into the plot, only problem was the song itself was familiar to any BB's fan and it was also 3-years old, the title track of a failed album from 1992.

It was one of the most baffling, WTF? moments as a fan that i can remember, because one of the sad things was that there had been a positive buzz and anticipation going around that there would be a new Wilson-Love song connected to a new show called Baywatch Nights that was going to have Lou Rawls cast as a music nightclub owner...and instead we got whatever that Summer Of Love video was supposed to be, Mike rapping and Stamos playing electronic drums in the sand. It still makes absolutely no sense, and it didn't line up with what fans may have expected to see on TV if they had been reading the press reports leading up to it.

Just a total wasted opportunity and one which makes no sense at all. IMO

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »

Look at him during smile and multiply that by x1000 by Kokomo and SIP. The man's ego was at deranged levels at that point in 1992.

The look on Carl's face at 0:07 in an interview from that era basically says it all.

http://youtu.be/jfs7jm3uJdM
In fairness, CD - that video was "clipped" from a 1991 interview in Japan. It is not in the context of the interview.

How many of us make faces or look intense from thought or look serious? Carl looks tired, perhaps understandably jet-lagged.

Here is the interview in proper context.  Wink

http://youtu.be/KMiqDuH-vxl

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

"The Beach Boys Live in Japan '91 Interview"

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:07:44 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »

Kokomo is the homerun.

EoL

I understand what you are saying.  I wouldn't say I listen to music for fun.  I'm not even sure I have fun while listening.  Maybe.  It's more of a personal and emotional experience.  I'm not sure I can define it, but I'm pretty sure I would not describe it as fun.  There are exceptions, I have been to concerts I would describe as fun (for myself).  This usually involved stage diving or some sort of fist-pumping rebellion against one form of purported authority or another.  It was fun, but only because I was releasing a deeper angst or emotion.  It was not "innocent fun" like I suppose my children are having when we go to an amusement park.

To each his own.  I don't have dancing-in-the-aisles fun at a Beach Boys concert, I'm too reserved for that (my stage diving days are long over, that behavior was an anomaly).  But I realize many do, and that is what Mike appeals to, I get it.  I think Brian appreciates this as well, but I think there is a greater depth with Brian.  I relate much more to this perceived depth than the fun, fun, fun.

EoL
I never took myself that seriously to feel that way, except for certain songs like IJWMFTT that struck a nerve. Most probably why I prefer upbeat, faster type songs over ballads and slower introspective type songs. Remember, with Brian, he wrote all that stuff. Throughout his career he touched on all facets of feelings and emotions that one goes through growing up. That is the main reason for me loving the Beach Boys; they hit on all emotions that I was going through growing up. I feel quite fortunate to have it in my life, still do. Smiley

I get where you are coming from, and I have in no way experienced the depths of pain that Brian Wilson has, so I don't mean I can relate to the extent of his despair.  But for whatever reason his music strikes a chord with me and, as I've said before, the "happy" songs are sometimes as sad for me as the sad songs.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

Look at him during smile and multiply that by x1000 by Kokomo and SIP. The man's ego was at deranged levels at that point in 1992.

The look on Carl's face at 0:07 in an interview from that era basically says it all.

In fairness, CD - that video was "clipped" from a 1991 interview in Japan. It is not in the context of the interview.

How many of us make faces or look intense from thought or look serious? Carl looks tired, perhaps understandably jet-lagged.

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Yes, people can look tired, but do you think it's impossible that Carl maybe, just maybe, found the way Mike was gloating about Kokomo to be a bit over the top, and that he perhaps tired of hearing Mike brag about it so many times?

Do you truthfully consider that to be an absolutely impossible scenario?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:04:38 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Yes, people can look tired, but do you think it's impossible that Carl maybe, just maybe, found the way Mike was gloating about Kokomo to be a bit over the top, and that he perhaps tired of hearing Mike go on and on about it so many times?

Are you relying on the interview or the parody? It makes a difference. 

Carl involved himself in many projects, that some ''now"consider to be tacky.  They all did. 

That song put the band back on the map in a big way. "Gloating" is a value judgement. Mike had man good reasons to be proud of a #1 hit in many years. As did they all.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Yes, people can look tired, but do you think it's impossible that Carl maybe, just maybe, found the way Mike was gloating about Kokomo to be a bit over the top, and that he perhaps tired of hearing Mike go on and on about it so many times?

Carl involved himself in many projects, that some ''now"consider to be tacky.  They all did.  

That song put the band back on the map in a big way. "Gloating" is a value judgement. Mike had man good reasons to be proud of a #1 hit in many years. As did they all.

You didn't answer my question: do you really think it's absolutely impossible that Carl's look on his face was possibly due to feeling that Mike was going on and on about Kokomo? Can you respond to that question? I'd assume either you think it's possible (but unlikely), or absolutely, categorically impossible. Which is it?

After all, we have on record instances such as Old Man River sessions, where Mike got sick and tired of working on material over and over again, and his feelings on the matter obviously came to light. I don't see why it's impossible to think that other members of the band got tired of various stuff, and their feelings leaked out too - case in point, Al "bad attitude" Jardine around this same time. I'm not trying to throw either Carl or Mike under the bus, just being realistic that it makes little sense to try and pretend that there wasn't a gloat-a-thon going on which could have worn on other members. That's not impossible.

And I have seen the entire interview, separate from the parody video.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:21:27 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Carl involved himself in many projects, that some ''now"consider to be tacky.  They all did.  

You didn't answer my question: do you really think it's absolutely impossible that Carl's look on his face was possibly due to feeling that Mike was going on and on about Kokomo? Can you respond to that question? I'd assume either you think it's possible (but unlikely), or absolutely, categorically impossible. Which is it?

After all, we have on record instances such as Old Man River sessions, where Mike got sick and tired of working on material over and over again, and his feelings on the matter obviously came to light. I don't see why it's impossible to think that other members of the band got tired of various stuff, and their feelings leaked out too - case in point, Al "bad attitude" Jardine around this same time. I'm not trying to throw either Carl or Mike under the bus, just being realistic that it makes little sense to try and pretend that there wasn't a gloat-a-thon going on which could have worn on other members. That's not impossible.

CD - I haven't a clue, on this planet, as to why Carl made a face.  It is unrealistic to imagine why anyone makes a face. You can't take a "walk through someone's cranium," a wise professor once told a class I took.

And I fail to understand why, if you ask a question, why you think you can demand a response. This is supposed to be an open forum on music, not a court of law.  Just sayin'

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

CD - I haven't a clue, on this planet, as to why Carl made a face.  It is unrealistic to imagine why anyone makes a face. You can't take a "walk through someone's cranium," a wise professor once told a class I took.

And I fail to understand why, if you ask a question, why you think you can demand a response. This is supposed to be an open forum on music, not a court of law.  Just sayin'

You can answer or not answer anything you want... just let's not pretend it's any kind of actual conversation at that point, once you refuse to answer. I might as well ask you for the time and your reply is "quack".

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:46:46 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

CD - I haven't a clue, on this planet, as to why Carl made a face.  It is unrealistic to imagine why anyone makes a face. You can't take a "walk through someone's cranium," a wise professor once told a class I took.

And I fail to understand why, if you ask a question, why you think you can demand a response. This is supposed to be an open forum on music, not a court of law.  Just sayin'

You can answer or not answer anything you want... just let's not pretend it's any kind of actual conversation at that point, once you refuse to answer. I might as well ask you for the time and your reply is "quack".
You were given a plausible response; but not the one you wished.  And I found it to be a ridiculous theory.

You must have the gift of a mind reader to assert you know what is going in someone else's mind.

Sorry.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

You were given a plausible response; but not the one you wished.  And I found it to be a ridiculous theory.

You must have the gift of a mind reader to assert you know what is going in someone else's mind.

Sorry.
Yes, you can't take a "walk through someone's cranium," but on the same token, you also can't say it's impossible that he felt the way I am assuming he felt either.  How does that not work both ways?

I am willing to say I myself cannot be certain I'm right either. I could be wrong. You don't seem to be able to say the same thing. That, above all else, is the point I'm trying to make.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:53:41 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

You were given a plausible response; but not the one you wished.  And I found it to be a ridiculous theory.

Sorry.
Yes, you can't take a "walk through someone's cranium," but on the same token, you also can't say it's impossible that he felt the way I am assuming he felt either.  How does that not work both ways?

I am willing to say I myself cannot be certain I'm right either. I could be wrong. You don't seem to be able to say the same thing.
CD - I have no knowledge of these sessions and won't be relying on a discussion board to make a judgement of a band member. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Sorry.

I am willing to say I myself cannot be certain I'm right either. I could be wrong. You don't seem to be able to say the same thing.
CD - I have no knowledge of these sessions and won't be relying on a discussion board to make a judgement of a band member.  

You just did make a judgment by saying that Carl had jetlag. How is that not making a judgment one way or another?

Point is, you could be wrong, and I could be right... or vice versa.  Only someone who thinks it's categorically impossible that they are wrong would be afraid to say that this is the case.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:10:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »

Hope it copies...

If not, it is

Sorry.

You just did make a judgment by saying that Carl had jetlag. How is that not making a judgment one way or another?

Point is, you could be wrong, and I could be right... or vice versa.  Only someone who thinks it's categorically impossible that they are wrong would be afraid to say that this is the case.
No, jet lag isn't a judgement.  It is a reasonable inference, knowing that the band lives in the U.S., and would have to travel a distance to get there.  it has nothing to do with the type of person I think he is. It is neutral.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »

Carl has the look of "here Mike goes again about Kokomo" Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »

Carl has the look of "here Mike goes again about Kokomo" Roll Eyes
Smile Brian - how about the possibility, since it is a press conference that there is an agreed upon set of "talking points" which is what press and publicity people get paid to do?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »

Carl has the same bored expression throughout the entire interview.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »

Carl has the same bored expression throughout the entire interview.

Maybe it is his don't-ask-me-anything look?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »

Anything for defending Mike's crass statements and behavior in the interview. Even throwing Carl Wilson under the bus by implying he was in a bad mood, suffering from jet lag, etc.

How about he was actually annoyed with Mike Love acting like the "end all, be all" of the BBs since the fluky success of kokomo's hit status due to "cocktail".

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »

My recollection is that Mike asked for complete control on SIP and got it. He complained to Goldmine that Still Cruisin' was supposed to have been an album of all songs used in movies, but that it got watered down because Al wanted to have a song on the album, Brian (or Landy) insisted on having a song on the album. He also complained about Levine's production on BB85. That album was really Carl's baby; he picked the producer, was the one really pushing the guys to do new music at that point. Too bad he didn't bring Youngblood producer Jeff Baxter to produce the album. I was not at all surprised that Brian was not involved in SIP - after that terrible, slanderous book with his name on it, I didn't expect to EVER see Brian with the BB's again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »

Anything for defending Mike's crass statements and behavior in the interview. Even throwing Carl Wilson under the bus by implying he was in a bad mood, suffering from jet lag, etc.

How about he was actually annoyed with Mike Love acting like the "end all, be all" of the BBs since the fluky success of kokomo's hit status due to "cocktail".

Why this is such an impossible option for some people to just at least *consider* is beyond my comprehension. The same few people could at least just say "while I doubt that's the case, it is possible".

That would be an actual neutral opinion.

How about we just use "jet lag" as the reason that Dennis rudely yanked Mike's hat off onstage, and the reason why Shawn never received paternal recognition. These wacky Boys were always flying around, so jet lag is the reason for any and all behavior. Makes sense to me. Then we can all be "neutral" and no blame ever assigned to anyone. Right? Right?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:11:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »

Why this is such an impossible option for some people to just at least *consider* is beyond my comprehension. The same few people could at least just say "while I doubt that's the case, it is possible".

That would be an actual neutral opinion.

How about we just use "jet lag" as the reason that Dennis rudely yanked Mike's hat off onstage, and the reason why Shawn never received paternal recognition. These wacky Boys were always flying around, so jet lag is the reason for any and all behavior. Makes sense to me. Then we can all be "neutral" and no blame ever assigned to anyone. Right? Right?

I don't understand why you always force these silly question on people.  They seem to show up in nearly every Mike Love related thread.  Of course it's possible!  It's always the same few people who give their opinion, then you randomly come in to ask "don't you think it's possible that (insert negative light cast on Mike)?" 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

Thing is, you're the one who is sitting around making up hypothetical situations that paint Mike in the worst light possible and then getting angry when people don't agree with you or want to argue with you endlessly about it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx