gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:21:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 49186 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »

Look at him during smile and multiply that by x1000 by Kokomo and SIP. The man's ego was at deranged levels at that point in 1992.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »

Look at him during smile and multiply that by x1000 by Kokomo and SIP. The man's ego was at deranged levels at that point in 1992.

The look on Carl's face at 0:07 in an interview from that era basically says it all.

http://youtu.be/jfs7jm3uJdM
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »

Well, we've gone from the joys of SIP to trying to put an asterisks next to the record of a homerun hit without the BBs' star player to imaginary insults. Well done everybody. (slow clap)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »

Could the Beach Boys, as they were constituted in 1992, have produced a good album under any conditions? Is Mike to blame for thinking they could? What would have been the ideal alternative to SIP?

In hindsight, they should have waited for Brian, but at the time they had no way of knowing when, if ever, he'd be ready to rejoin the band.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »

Regarding SOL... Wasn't the Wilson-Love penned "Baywatch Nights" song going to be in its place?

http://www.ew.com/article/1995/03/31/back-beach From March 31st, 1995

Pop maestro Brian Wilson, 53, brother Carl, 50, and cousin Mike Love, 54, are gathered round the microphone, just like old times, singing one of those unmistakable harmonies that so often lifted the Beach Boys to the top of the charts. But this is no oldies show. The three are actually working on a new song, happily crooning, ”Meet me somewhere out in Malibu!” ”We’re putting Carl’s guitar on next,” announces Brian Wilson, ”which will make it even more raucous. It might even fly away. It’s good enough to totally fly out of the universe.”

The song is tentatively slated for submission to a new syndicated TV spin-off called Baywatch Nights. But Wilson is so pleased with the results, he’s reluctant to let it go for anything other than a Beach Boys album. ”We need this kind of a song,” he insists. ”You can’t throw away your ace.”

Baywatch Nights/Dancin' the Night Away  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJLQeWdHTs

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »

Well, we've gone from the joys of SIP to trying to put an asterisks next to the record of a homerun hit without the BBs' star player to imaginary insults. Well done everybody. (slow clap)
SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.    

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »

SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.    

Kokomo is the homerun.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »

Could the Beach Boys, as they were constituted in 1992, have produced a good album under any conditions? Is Mike to blame for thinking they could? What would have been the ideal alternative to SIP?

I'm of the opinion that, yes, a good album could have been produced if - if - they could've/would've (whichever) gone along with Mike's idea and filled in the gaps. Brian hadn't released a solo album in four years and had enough songs stockpiled. Maybe he could've provided three or four of them to The Beach Boys:

01  Mike & Terry - Island Fever
02  Mike & Terry - Still Surfin'
03  Mike & Terry - Strange Things Happen
04  Mike & Terry - Lahaina Aloha
05  Mike & Terry - Summer In Paradise

06  Brian - The Spirit Of Rock And Roll
07  Brian - Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel
08  Brian - Rainbow Eyes

09  Oldie - Hot Fun In The Summertime
10  Oldie - Under The Boardwalk

11  Carl - ?
12  Al - Don't Fight The Sea
13  Bruce - Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)

Pick any three Brian songs, they're better than the songs you're eliminating (Summer Of Love, Remember Walking In The Sand, and Surfin'). I don't mind keeping "Forever"; I think it's a good cover, Carl sings his heart out, and Stamos was very popular at that time. Anybody for the Spanish version of "Kokomo"? Anyway, just the additions, and more importantly the subtractions, make it a stronger album, even respectable.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:55:07 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

I mostly agree with the Sheriff, but what he maybe misses is that there is something comic about misplaced confidence. There is an impression of Mike rubbing his hands together and saying,  "Don't worry boys, I've got this covered" -- and then falling on his ass.

No, I'm not missing that. I admitted above that some of Mike's ideas warrant criticism. But Summer In Paradise isn't one of them. It was the implementation of the concept that fell on its ass, and I don't blame Mike for that. You admitted above, and I agree with you, that "the Love/Melcher songs were perfectly fine complementary numbers". When Brian decided that he was "out", the project should've been nixed. But it wasn't. It was approved by the group. Why? Could one of the answers start with the letter m and end with the letter y?

Whoa.  Above you asked how do we know Brian wasn't asked to be a part of SIP, now you are asserting that it was his choice?  Did I miss a step?  Was this proven somewhere in-between your two posts?

EoL

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

Kokomo is the homerun.
I love the song myself.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.

I believe that Kokomo received the biggest response in Cincinnati for C50 as well.  I wasn't surprised because I think most people like the Beach Boys for the fun, as you indicated.  That isn't my experience so I can't relate (I like the summer/surf stuff, but not because it's fun).  I wish more people liked music for reasons other than fun, perhaps then we wouldn't have the crapola we have on the radio today, but it is what it is.  Lots of people like Stamos and Barbara Ann and Kokomo.  What can I say, I don't fit in in a lot of other ways either.

EoL

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »

SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.    

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.
I guess it does, as an oldies/nostalgia show. Me, I prefer the rock pop jewels  of Pet Sounds and after. If Paul and Ringo were touring as the Beatles doing 80% pre 1966 songs, they'd be crucified.
             I Can Hear Music. .........

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »

I'm of the opinion that, yes, a good album could have been produced. They could've gone along with Mike's idea and filled in the gaps. Brian hadn't released a solo album in four years and had enough songs stockpiled. Maybe he could've provided three or four of them to The Beach Boys:

08  Brian - Rainbow Eyes

11  Carl - ?

Pick any three Brian songs, they're better than the songs you're eliminating (Summer Of Love, Remember Walking In The Sand, and Surfin'). I don't mind keeping "Forever"; I think it's a good cover, Carl sings his heart out, and Stamos was very popular at that time. Anybody for the Spanish version of "Kokomo"? Anyway, just the additions, and more importantly the subtractions, make it a stronger album, even respectable.
But the premise of the question is " as they were constituted in 1992" -- that is, with Brian not involved. (Do we know the full story behind why he wasn't? Too soon after Landy?) If they had waited a year, yes this new and improved SIP might have been possible.

But really, does your revised track listing constitute a "good" album? I'd rank it on the same level as BB'85 -- not good, exactly, but a step up from KTSA-like mediocrity. B minus, maybe? C plus?

My conclusion is that the 1992 version of the band needed outside help in order to produce a good album, a hit album. Don Was producing? Song doctors? Aerosmith wasn't above bringing in songwriting pros to help out Steven Tyler and Joe Perry in the 90's.

I blame Mike only for trying to do what could not be done.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

SIP a homerun? I don't know what you're smoking  Smokin Cam  Smokin but I'd really like to get some.    

Kokomo is the homerun.

OK...It's 2015.  Things have changed.  It's been a LONG time since Carl and Dennis were more than memories added up on the video screen at a Beach Boys show.  It's been eons since Kokomo and SIP...and WAY longer than that for everything else except for TWGMTR which was hardly an across the board/one in every home hit album.  3 weeks ago LAST night I went to see the Beach Boys.  The crowd although predominantly 'older' [50s-70s] also included loads of folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s...and the song which seemed to be MOST appreciated by the majority of the people in attendance?  I'd say that very clearly it was Kokomo.  First time I've seen that but then I haven't seen the Beach Boys live since Carl passed away.  Obviously it wouldn't be an 'item' at a Brian show.  Kokomo and Barbara Ann might have been the biggest tunes in terms of audience response.

But, and I have to keep reminding myself of this FACT.  A Beach Boys show...Mike and Bruce et al...is a P A R T Y.  And it works...BIG time.
I guess it does, as an oldies/nostalgia show. Me, I prefer the rock pop jewels  of Pet Sounds and after. If Paul and Ringo were touring as the Beatles doing 80% pre 1966 songs, they'd be crucified.
             I Can Hear Music. .........

I think this is a great analogy.  It seems to me Brian saw where things were going in the mid 60s and sought to stay ahead of the curve.  Regardless of the reason that didn't work out.  At some point Mike gave up/realized that without Brian leading the way he had two choices: hang it up or Endless Summer.

EoL

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »

I TOO prefer the Brian presentation...mainly because of the songs he includes.  But I was very impressed with the Beach Boys circa 2015 and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.  I expected it to be 'nice'.  It was far beyond that.  I recommend it unabashedly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:28:29 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »

I TOO prefer the Brian presentation...mainly because of the songs he includes.  But I was very impressed with the Beach Boys circa 2015 and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.  I expected it to be 'nice'.  it was way more than that.
It's a very good band for sure. Just think it should be the "C50 Five" or not billed as the Beach Boys. No Carl, Brian, Dennis, Al, David - Not the Beach Boys.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »

But the're licensed by BRI...as the Beach Boys.  Heck...Jeff has been a Beach Boy, or with Brian, for close to 35 years.  Mike obviously can lay claim...and he sang close to half the leads on their hits.  Bruce has been a part of it for over 50 years...since California Girls/Summer Days.  Scott and John have been around for years and do the show proud.  They have enough credentials and the legal right to be called the Beach Boys.  So too would Brian...with Al, Blondie and his amazing crew but Brian has voted [as have the others in the business structure] to have Mike and his gang represent the name...and they do it week after week, month after month, year after year.  NO ONE else can make that claim.

As such?  I'n 100% 'good' with it. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:40:07 PM by Add Some » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »

But the're licensed by BRI...as the Beach Boys.  Heck...Jeff has been a Beach Boy, or with Brian, for close to 35 years.  Mike obviously can lay claim...and he sang close to half the leads on their hits.  Bruce has been a part of it for over 50 years...since California Girls/Summer Days.  Scott and John have been around for years and do the show proud.  They have enough credentials and the legal right to be called the Beach Boys.  So too would Brian...with Al, Blondie and his amazing crew but Brian has voted [as have the others in the business structure] to have Mike and his gang represent the name...and they do it week after week, month after month, year after year.  NO ONE else can make that claim.

As such?  I'n 100% 'good' with it. Cool Guy
Oh christ. Having a license doesn't make them the BBs. The Temptations have a license but it isn't the Temptations singing out there in 2015. (well, one of them, sometimes).

My first BB show was December 31st, 1973 in Long Beach CA. Saw them several more times in the 70's. That was the Beach Boys! No Wilsons, not the Beach Boys.

The M&B show is equivalent to a Herman's Hermits show. Peter Noone does a great oldies show with a very good band.

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2015, 12:50:26 AM »

I'll be darned - and I really hesitate to jump back into this - but I do believe SUMMER IN PARADISE (THE TRACK) IS A STRAIGHT REWRITE OF LET IT BE!

I have long thought there was a lyrical kinship, but while running SIP today began singing LIB, and it fits - I think.

Now I'll have to dig out the chart and see if it works harmonically.

hmmm...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2015, 01:01:43 AM »

But the're licensed by BRI...as the Beach Boys.  Heck...Jeff has been a Beach Boy, or with Brian, for close to 35 years.  Mike obviously can lay claim...and he sang close to half the leads on their hits.  Bruce has been a part of it for over 50 years...since California Girls/Summer Days.  Scott and John have been around for years and do the show proud.  They have enough credentials and the legal right to be called the Beach Boys.  So too would Brian...with Al, Blondie and his amazing crew but Brian has voted [as have the others in the business structure] to have Mike and his gang represent the name...and they do it week after week, month after month, year after year.  NO ONE else can make that claim.

As such?  I'n 100% 'good' with it. Cool Guy
Oh christ. Having a license doesn't make them the BBs. The Temptations have a license but it isn't the Temptations singing out there in 2015. (well, one of them, sometimes).

My first BB show was December 31st, 1973 in Long Beach CA. Saw them several more times in the 70's. That was the Beach Boys! No Wilsons, not the Beach Boys.

The M&B show is equivalent to a Herman's Hermits show. Peter Noone does a great oldies show with a very good band.

It's more than a licence though… it's Brian and Al's blessing along with that of Carl's estate. You can't get higher authority than that. And I doubt if Herman's Hermits or the Temptations have quite the audience-draw…
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:02:52 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2015, 01:21:18 AM »

We saw recently some confusion between the numbers and release dates in the UK versus the US regarding the film Cocktail, but that got straightened out. That might be at play here as well. I'm assuming that's the issue.

Because otherwise, I don't understand why this is being challenged, argued, debated, etc. What's the rub, where's the catch? I'm not seeing where it would be necessary to challenge or argue something which was widely reported in 1995, that Baywatch for better or worse was the most-watched TV program in the world at that time.

Just as a quick jump back to this point... it's indisputable that Baywatch was absolutely huge worldwide around that time.  Anyone who wants to say Hasselhoff was just bigging it up -- nope.  Far too many reliable reports from industry papers back him up.

However:  worldwide broadcasts wouldn't help "Summer In Paradise" that much given that it wasn't released worldwide.

Given that we're really only talking about US and UK releases for the album...  well, we'd have to look at the ratings in those two countries.  And it's possible to make a case that Baywatch was beginning its downswing in the US...  ratings info of that sort is patchy, but I've found records of it getting a 6.9 rating in November 1994 and 5.3-5.5 ratings in November/December 1995 (i.e, a few weeks after the "Summer of Love" episode).

Cause and effect?  I'm sure some people would like to think so.  :-)  But more generally, you could actually argue that the Beach Boys had missed the party somewhat -- in their target market, Baywatch was no longer the king of syndication, but instead rating a bit lower than "Hercules", "Xena", and "Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine".

Now, maybe if Mike had booked them *there*...!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:10 AM »

We saw recently some confusion between the numbers and release dates in the UK versus the US regarding the film Cocktail, but that got straightened out. That might be at play here as well. I'm assuming that's the issue.

Because otherwise, I don't understand why this is being challenged, argued, debated, etc. What's the rub, where's the catch? I'm not seeing where it would be necessary to challenge or argue something which was widely reported in 1995, that Baywatch for better or worse was the most-watched TV program in the world at that time.

Just as a quick jump back to this point... it's indisputable that Baywatch was absolutely huge worldwide around that time.  Anyone who wants to say Hasselhoff was just bigging it up -- nope.  Far too many reliable reports from industry papers back him up.

However:  worldwide broadcasts wouldn't help "Summer In Paradise" that much given that it wasn't released worldwide.

Given that we're really only talking about US and UK releases for the album...  well, we'd have to look at the ratings in those two countries.  And it's possible to make a case that Baywatch was beginning its downswing in the US...  ratings info of that sort is patchy, but I've found records of it getting a 6.9 rating in November 1994 and 5.3-5.5 ratings in November/December 1995 (i.e, a few weeks after the "Summer of Love" episode).

Cause and effect?  I'm sure some people would like to think so.  :-)  But more generally, you could actually argue that the Beach Boys had missed the party somewhat -- in their target market, Baywatch was no longer the king of syndication, but instead rating a bit lower than "Hercules", "Xena", and "Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine".

Now, maybe if Mike had booked them *there*...!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Now, maybe if Mike had booked them *there*...! Yep, sure got me thinking

Anna Lee's 'Hercules'

'Xena' Come-a come-a come-a come to me

Star Trek : How Deep is the Space Nine Ocean ?

My coat is ready  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:30:25 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2015, 04:13:17 AM »

I'm of the opinion that, yes, a good album could have been produced. They could've gone along with Mike's idea and filled in the gaps. Brian hadn't released a solo album in four years and had enough songs stockpiled. Maybe he could've provided three or four of them to The Beach Boys:

08  Brian - Rainbow Eyes

11  Carl - ?

But the premise of the question is " as they were constituted in 1992" -- that is, with Brian not involved. (Do we know the full story behind why he wasn't? Too soon after Landy?) If they had waited a year, yes this new and improved SIP might have been possible.

But really, does your revised track listing constitute a "good" album? I'd rank it on the same level as BB'85 -- not good, exactly, but a step up from KTSA-like mediocrity. B minus, maybe? C plus?

My conclusion is that the 1992 version of the band needed outside help in order to produce a good album, a hit album. Don Was producing? Song doctors? Aerosmith wasn't above bringing in songwriting pros to help out Steven Tyler and Joe Perry in the 90's.

Well, as I posted earlier, when it was determined that - for whatever reason - Brian would not be participating, the project should've been shelved, or, as you stated, put on hold UNTIL Brian did come around. Frankly, I'm surprised that the project did get the green light, but I also gave my reason WHY I thought it was ultimately approved by BRI.

I think my revised track listing is "good" at best. I wouldn't go any further than that because it lacks great songs. I can understand why some would say "mediocre", but by eliminating some tracks you escape "bad".

We can guess why Brian didn't participate on SIP but it would be nice to know definitively (which is sometimes impossible with Brian) because during Landy's second stay, with the exception of "Kokomo", Brian participated in some degree on most of The Beach Boys' projects including singles, albums, TV appearances, TV series, etc.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2015, 05:17:23 AM »

08  Brian - Rainbow Eyes

11  Carl - ?

Well, as I posted earlier, when it was determined that - for whatever reason - Brian would not be participating, the project should've been shelved, or, as you stated, put on hold UNTIL Brian did come around. Frankly, I'm surprised that the project did get the green light, but I also gave my reason WHY I thought it was ultimately approved by BRI.

I think my revised track listing is "good" at best. I wouldn't go any further than that because it lacks great songs. I can understand why some would say "mediocre", but by eliminating some tracks you escape "bad".

We can guess why Brian didn't participate on SIP but it would be nice to know definitively (which is sometimes impossible with Brian) because during Landy's second stay, with the exception of "Kokomo", Brian participated in some degree on most of The Beach Boys' projects including singles, albums, TV appearances, TV series, etc.

So we are back to uncertainty now?

EoL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx