gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:07:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 49182 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »

I think you're reading too much into this GF.  You're a mod.  You had to have seen posts like this, I know I have:

1.  SIP is a steaming pile.  Brian's not on it, and Mike proves himself to be a sleaze.

2.  Kokomo is terrible.  The Spanish version with Brian is much better.  

3.  There's no way I'm paying to see The Beach Boys.  No Brian.  No Wilsons.  No Beach Boys.  

This forum has been littered with these posts (especially #3).  

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why my observation that some fans chose to dismiss SIP purely for the fact that BW isn't on it has gotten you so fired up.

Simply because I consider the logic behind it to be flawed. It either applies and works in all directions or it doesn't work at all. All I've seen is attempts here to excuse overtly negative opinions of an album like NPP by calling them honest fan opinions, while trying to dismiss or make illegitimate negative opinions about SIP by suggesting it's all part of the continuous "Mike bashing".

So fans doing one or the other have their motivations either challenged or defended based on what they're criticizing? So if the negative opinions en masse on SIP are written off as more of the same Mike bashing, logic would then apply to say let's dismiss the negative opinions on NPP en masse as more of the same Brian bashing.

That's plugging in 2+2 and having it equal 4, aka simple logic. If it applies for one, then it would and should apply for another as well. Does it?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

I think the issue with SIP is more with the quality of songs rather than the production.  

I don't think there's a producer alive or dead that could make Summer of Love into something good.  

SIP came too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, just as HCTN came with a disco version. It would be hard to convince me that The Bee Gees were more talented songwriters than the Boys.  Had they jumped into disco early, it might have been a niche resurrgence in a new area, but they had their own thing going with the Spirit of America phenomenon in the bicentennial of the U.S. circa 1975.

SIP also has a now-dated "electro-tech" feel that was perhaps construed as cutting edge, at that time. It isn't bad music but like everything else is a function of timing in the marketplace. I bought it and quite enjoyed it for the vocals. And it is the last of Carl's vocals. That, alone makes it a little treasure for me.  Wink

That Baywatch episode was like 3 years after the album came out wasn't it?
1989-2001 was the show run.

August, 1992, it came out.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:14:57 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »

I like salad.  But I don't like the salad without salad dressing.  Therefore I don't like salad?  Is that what's going on here?   LOL
And, I think you are, bar none, the funniest poster on this forum!

It's Friday, Bean Bag!

One for you!   Beer

What an amateur! We know you wouldn't spill a drop!  LOL

Good point.  Haste makes waste.  Let's try this one...

KDS
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »

I think you're reading too much into this GF.  You're a mod.  You had to have seen posts like this, I know I have:

1.  SIP is a steaming pile.  Brian's not on it, and Mike proves himself to be a sleaze.

3.  There's no way I'm paying to see The Beach Boys.  No Brian.  No Wilsons.  No Beach Boys.  

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why my observation that some fans chose to dismiss SIP purely for the fact that BW isn't on it has gotten you so fired up.

Simply because I consider the logic behind it to be flawed. It either applies and works in all directions or it doesn't work at all. All I've seen is attempts here to excuse overtly negative opinions of an album like NPP by calling them honest fan opinions, while trying to dismiss or make illegitimate negative opinions about SIP by suggesting it's all part of the continuous "Mike bashing".

So fans doing one or the other have their motivations either challenged or defended based on what they're criticizing? So if the negative opinions en masse on SIP are written off as more of the same Mike bashing, logic would then apply to say let's dismiss the negative opinions on NPP en masse as more of the same Brian bashing.

That's plugging in 2+2 and having it equal 4, aka simple logic. If it applies for one, then it would and should apply for another as well. Does it?

Well, then, don't complain to me about the lack of logic involved.  It's not my logic.  I'm just pointing out what I've seen.  Much like politics, there's not much logistic among extreme Brianistas and extreme Kokomaoists.  I pointed out I'm on neither side of the fence.  

Whenever a poster says that they don't like something because Brian Wilson isn't involved, complain to them, not me.  

My observation has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism of NPP I've seen on this board because those reviewers have given clear concise reasons why they don't like the record, and it's not because Mike or Bruce or John Stamos or whoever are on the record.  

A poster who likes SIP simply said that he didn't understand the hate behind the record.  I simply pointed out that some fans (not all, but some) chose to hate any product with The Beach Boys in which Brian is not involved.  Which is 100% true.

That doesn't mean I agree with it.  I don't like SIP as an album because I think the majority of the songs are terrible.  The same reason why I don't like Keeping the Summer Alive.  Like you said, not everything a band is going to put out are winners.  

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »

I think the issue with SIP is more with the quality of songs rather than the production.  

I don't think there's a producer alive or dead that could make Summer of Love into something good.  

SIP came too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, just as HCTN came with a disco version. It would be hard to convince me that The Bee Gees were more talented songwriters than the Boys.  Had they jumped into disco early, it might have been a niche resurrgence in a new area, but they had their own thing going with the Spirit of America phenomenon in the bicentennial of the U.S. circa 1975.

SIP also has a now-dated "electro-tech" feel that was perhaps construed as cutting edge, at that time. It isn't bad music but like everything else is a function of timing in the marketplace. I bought it and quite enjoyed it for the vocals. And it is the last of Carl's vocals. That, alone makes it a little treasure for me.  Wink

I thought I saw the episode aired like October 1995 or so.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »

Not them on it. But the phenomenon of the show, itself.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »

I like salad.  But I don't like the salad without salad dressing.  Therefore I don't like salad?  Is that what's going on here?   LOL
And, I think you are, bar none, the funniest poster on this forum!

It's Friday, Bean Bag!

One for you!   Beer

What an amateur! We know you wouldn't spill a drop!  LOL

Good point.  Haste makes waste.  Let's try this one...

Efficient, but so misunderstood... LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:14 AM »

SIP came too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, just as HCTN came with a disco version. It would be hard to convince me that The Bee Gees were more talented songwriters than the Boys.  Had they jumped into disco early, it might have been a niche resurrgence in a new area, but they had their own thing going with the Spirit of America phenomenon in the bicentennial of the U.S. circa 1975.

SIP also has a now-dated "electro-tech" feel that was perhaps construed as cutting edge, at that time. It isn't bad music but like everything else is a function of timing in the marketplace. I bought it and quite enjoyed it for the vocals. And it is the last of Carl's vocals. That, alone makes it a little treasure for me.  Wink

SIP didn't come in too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, it was practically at the peak. Baywatch started as a network show in '89, then the studio making it went bankrupt, so Hasselhoff shopped it to syndication. By '91 it was picked up and began airing new episodes on what used to be called the "UHF" networks that ran syndication.

The show was a massive success at that time, in terms of pop culture. It was everywhere. It was so successful they started spinning off other projects from it. Among them, a series called Baywatch Nights which the rumors said at the time (circa 94-95) was going to feature a new song written by Brian and Mike. That never materialized.

Among them too was a series of soundtrack releases. In late 1994, a follow-up soundtrack was released on the Scotti Brothers label featuring "Summer Of Love" as one of the tracks. By that time, it was a two-year-old release taken from the SIP album.

In summer of 1995, they started filming scenes for the show featuring the Beach Boys. They did shoots featuring Brian on the beach supposed to be set to the "Summer Of Love" video. That's what we see in the clip posted earlier. There was also a concert planned which would be filmed and worked into the finale of the episode. The whole episode was written around the Beach Boys coming up with a song for the Surf Rider charity for ecological causes, and that song was "Summer In Paradise". It was by then 2 years old, but they wrote scenes of Mike and Al "writing" the song and auditioning it for Hasselhoff's character in the show before the concert.

By the time it came to film the concert, Brian didn't come to the shoot, although he had made it to the earlier "Summer In Love" shoot, the one featuring Stamos playing electronic drums on the beach. They had David Marks on stage instead. According to one news report from summer '95, people there for that concert/shoot were disappointed. No Brian. So the parts of that "concert" that got written into the show was the band with David Marks playing Fun Fun Fun and Summer In Paradise. The video for the "Summer Of Love" song aired elsewhere in the episode, not part of the storyline as they tried to make Summer In Paradise key to the plot.

So I'd suggest the notion that the Baywatch franchise had already passed its prime by the time the Beach Boys got involved isn't accurate. If anything, the years 1994-95 were when the show was riding pretty high in its popularity, and evidence of that is within this same span of time 94-95 there was a soundtrack release (featuring Summer Of Love) and a spinoff series given the green light (Baywatch Nights) among other related projects that were done to capitalize on the success of the franchise. Perhaps a few years later was when the show started to wane a bit.

You don't see that kind of interest and number of spin-off projects crossing over into soundtrack albums when a show has already jumped the shark and was on the way out. No studios or companies would sink money into a TV franchise that's limping to the finish line.

And the show lasted another 6 years after the Beach Boys appeared. Strangely, none of this tie-in promotional stuff seemed to help sales of either Summer In Paradise, Summer Of Love, or any of the other Baywatch-related releases.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »

Well, then, don't complain to me about the lack of logic involved.  It's not my logic.  I'm just pointing out what I've seen.  Much like politics, there's not much logistic among extreme Brianistas and extreme Kokomaoists.  I pointed out I'm on neither side of the fence.  

Whenever a poster says that they don't like something because Brian Wilson isn't involved, complain to them, not me.  

My observation has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism of NPP I've seen on this board because those reviewers have given clear concise reasons why they don't like the record, and it's not because Mike or Bruce or John Stamos or whoever are on the record.  

A poster who likes SIP simply said that he didn't understand the hate behind the record.  I simply pointed out that some fans (not all, but some) chose to hate any product with The Beach Boys in which Brian is not involved.  Which is 100% true.

That doesn't mean I agree with it.  I don't like SIP as an album because I think the majority of the songs are terrible.  The same reason why I don't like Keeping the Summer Alive.  Like you said, not everything a band is going to put out are winners.  

And what I'd suggest is plugging this into the formula:

Posters who like NPP simply said that they didn't understand the hate behind the record.   It was pointed out that some fans (not all, but some) chose to hate any product with Brian in which either the Beach Boys as a group name or Mike Love and/or Bruce Johnston as individual band members are not involved.  Which is 100% true.

Is it still true with the changed variables?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2015, 12:09:06 PM »

I remember many things being said about NPP when it dropped but can't recall anyone saying they hated it because Mike and Bruce were not on it. I thought TWGMTR also stunk for the most part and that featured both of them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:08:52 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »

Posters who like NPP simply said that they didn't understand the hate behind the record.   It was pointed out that some fans (not all, but some) chose to hate any product with Brian in which either the Beach Boys as a group name or Mike Love and/or Bruce Johnston as individual band members are not involved.  Which is 100% true.

I have no problem with someone hating a Brian record simply because there's none of "the boys" on it.  And I have no problem with someone hating Summer In Paradise because there's no Brian.

Is that what you're objecting to?  I also believe it's ok to believe one and not the other. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:12:36 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »

SIP came too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, just as HCTN came with a disco version. It would be hard to convince me that The Bee Gees were more talented songwriters than the Boys.  Had they jumped into disco early, it might have been a niche resurrgence in a new area, but they had their own thing going with the Spirit of America phenomenon in the bicentennial of the U.S. circa 1975.

SIP also has a now-dated "electro-tech" feel that was perhaps construed as cutting edge, at that time. It isn't bad music but like everything else is a function of timing in the marketplace. I bought it and quite enjoyed it for the vocals. And it is the last of Carl's vocals. That, alone makes it a little treasure for me.  Wink

SIP didn't come in too late in the Baywatch phenomenon, it was practically at the peak. Baywatch started as a network show in '89, then the studio making it went bankrupt, so Hasselhoff shopped it to syndication. By '91 it was picked up and began airing new episodes on what used to be called the "UHF" networks that ran syndication.

The show was a massive success at that time, in terms of pop culture. It was everywhere. It was so successful they started spinning off other projects from it. Among them, a series called Baywatch Nights which the rumors said at the time (circa 94-95) was going to feature a new song written by Brian and Mike. That never materialized.

Among them too was a series of soundtrack releases. In late 1994, a follow-up soundtrack was released on the Scotti Brothers label featuring "Summer Of Love" as one of the tracks. By that time, it was a two-year-old release taken from the SIP album.

In summer of 1995, they started filming scenes for the show featuring the Beach Boys. They did shoots featuring Brian on the beach supposed to be set to the "Summer Of Love" video. That's what we see in the clip posted earlier. There was also a concert planned which would be filmed and worked into the finale of the episode. The whole episode was written around the Beach Boys coming up with a song for the Surf Rider charity for ecological causes, and that song was "Summer In Paradise". It was by then 2 years old, but they wrote scenes of Mike and Al "writing" the song and auditioning it for Hasselhoff's character in the show before the concert.

By the time it came to film the concert, Brian didn't come to the shoot, although he had made it to the earlier "Summer In Love" shoot, the one featuring Stamos playing electronic drums on the beach. They had David Marks on stage instead. According to one news report from summer '95, people there for that concert/shoot were disappointed. No Brian. So the parts of that "concert" that got written into the show was the band with David Marks playing Fun Fun Fun and Summer In Paradise. The video for the "Summer Of Love" song aired elsewhere in the episode, not part of the storyline as they tried to make Summer In Paradise key to the plot.

So I'd suggest the notion that the Baywatch franchise had already passed its prime by the time the Beach Boys got involved isn't accurate. If anything, the years 1994-95 were when the show was riding pretty high in its popularity, and evidence of that is within this same span of time 94-95 there was a soundtrack release (featuring Summer Of Love) and a spinoff series given the green light (Baywatch Nights) among other related projects that were done to capitalize on the success of the franchise. Perhaps a few years later was when the show started to wane a bit.

You don't see that kind of interest and number of spin-off projects crossing over into soundtrack albums when a show has already jumped the shark and was on the way out. No studios or companies would sink money into a TV franchise that's limping to the finish line.

And the show lasted another 6 years after the Beach Boys appeared. Strangely, none of this tie-in promotional stuff seemed to help sales of either Summer In Paradise, Summer Of Love, or any of the other Baywatch-related releases.
GF - Baywatch (babe watch) came quickly after Hasselhoff's Knight Rider...big hit with the kids, complete with all the Christmas toys, etc. It was Hasselhoff and he went from one hit series from 1982-86 or so to Baywatch. He took his audience with him, as well as William Daniels, from St. Elsewhere, as the voice of KITT.

But I think it was (SIP) a little late on the draw, and not just for the BB TV appearance but for the association with the beach patrol job, that just screams BB music. JMHO
It was the dream job, on TV.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »

Another thread bites the dust

Cremation will take place.
Friends will be received at the funeral home on Friday, August 28, 2015 from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. The Funeral Service will be held on Saturday, August 29, 2015 from the Chapel of the Funeral Home at 11 a.m.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »

Posters who like NPP simply said that they didn't understand the hate behind the record.   It was pointed out that some fans (not all, but some) chose to hate any product with Brian in which either the Beach Boys as a group name or Mike Love and/or Bruce Johnston as individual band members are not involved.  Which is 100% true.

If your NPP scenario were true, then I would no have issue with it being pointed out.  And just as it is with SIP, I would think its a silly reason to not like something. 

Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite guitar player of all time, and I still bought, and have enjoyed the Deep Purple albums with Tommy Bolin and Steve Morse.  Yet, there are many who will completely dismiss any Purple record that doesn't have Ritchie, regardless of content. 

Just as I wouldn't understand anyone who said that they don't enjoy Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow because Ian Gillan or Jon Lord aren't in it. 

One poster questioned the hatred behind the SIP album.  Since the poster actually likes the SIP album, I gave him a reason I felt he would understand.   Because that is a reason posted by several Brianistas.  On this board.  That you moderate.   Yet, you come back with this inane argument over the people who criticize NPP, which has no merit because nobody has said the album stinks because Mike Love isn't on it.  If somebody actually said that on this board, or any other BB related board, they'd probably be banned. 

On that note, have a pleasant weekend everybody. 

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

I started this thread while listening to Summer in Paradise for the first time in years and musing over the memories it conjured of a time when my kids were young and we were poor and a vacation to Cocoa Beach was a treasure and the Beach Boys were our happy sound track.

And now you creeps have crawled out of the woodwork and sh*t all over that.

Well, f*** you all. It's pointless to continue coming here.

I'll be content with my happy memories and thank the Beach Boys for being a part of that.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »

All right, then.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »

If your NPP scenario were true, then I would no have issue with it being pointed out.  And just as it is with SIP, I would think its a silly reason to not like something. 

Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite guitar player of all time, and I still bought, and have enjoyed the Deep Purple albums with Tommy Bolin and Steve Morse.  Yet, there are many who will completely dismiss any Purple record that doesn't have Ritchie, regardless of content. 

Just as I wouldn't understand anyone who said that they don't enjoy Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow because Ian Gillan or Jon Lord aren't in it. 

One poster questioned the hatred behind the SIP album.  Since the poster actually likes the SIP album, I gave him a reason I felt he would understand.   Because that is a reason posted by several Brianistas.  On this board.  That you moderate.   Yet, you come back with this inane argument over the people who criticize NPP, which has no merit because nobody has said the album stinks because Mike Love isn't on it.  If somebody actually said that on this board, or any other BB related board, they'd probably be banned. 

On that note, have a pleasant weekend everybody. 

I didn't originally post the inane argument that people criticizing Summer In Paradise are doing it just to bash Mike Love. Funny how the argument only becomes inane when the names "Brian Wilson" and NPP are plugged in to the exact same argument that must have been valid or less inane when the names were "Mike Love" and "SIP" using the same basic wording and logic.

Oh no, but it's different.

Sure.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »

I started this thread while listening to Summer in Paradise for the first time in years and musing over the memories it conjured of a time when my kids were young and we were poor and a vacation to Cocoa Beach was a treasure and the Beach Boys were our happy sound track.

And now you creeps have crawled out of the woodwork and sh*t all over that.

Well, f*** you all. It's pointless to continue coming here.

I'll be content with my happy memories and thank the Beach Boys for being a part of that.

I guess creeps crawling out of the woodwork to sh*t all over things people enjoyed when it happened before this wasn't as much of an issue since I don't remember seeing such strong objections in previous threads where it happened. Maybe it has to do with what they're shitting on and who is doing the shitting that makes some of it acceptable?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »

GF - Baywatch (babe watch) came quickly after Hasselhoff's Knight Rider...big hit with the kids, complete with all the Christmas toys, etc. It was Hasselhoff and he went from one hit series from 1982-86 or so to Baywatch. He took his audience with him, as well as William Daniels, from St. Elsewhere, as the voice of KITT.

But I think it was (SIP) a little late on the draw, and not just for the BB TV appearance but for the association with the beach patrol job, that just screams BB music. JMHO
It was the dream job, on TV.

I know very well about Knight Rider, I watched the show back in the day. It was over and done, DOA by the time Baywatch came on. Baywatch wasn't seen by many people that first season it was on the network prime-time schedule. That was 1989. It was when it went into syndication with new first-run episodes in 1991 into 1992 that the show started to gain an audience, and soon it turned into a pop culture phenom. By the 1994 season it was firmly in the pop culture, successful in other words.

So 1994, in real-world terms it was about three years into it's main run. Hit show, spinoffs planned, scripted and ready to shoot, one soundtrack already out, a second one featuring "Summer Of Love" already out in '94...and the Beach Boys film their episode in summer 1995.

So a show that was still hot, a show that had spinoffs and cover stories and media attention and soundtrack albums all getting the public attention in the US...in 1995 it was late on the draw?

It hung on for 6 more years. If the Beach Boys had come on in 1999 or something, I could see it. If the Beach Boys had come on when the Baywatch Nights spinoff changed formats and tried to copy the success of the X-Files by going supernatural in the plots, I'd see your point. But they were on the show when it was still a hot commodity, a popular show, and the fact they would be on was a story reported in magazines and newspapers.

Keep in mind, I followed all this stuff with the Beach Boys news coming out at that time, like many others on this board. Closely. Magazines, newspapers, news reports, Entertainment Tonight, the other TV showbiz gossip shows, all of it. If there was something even vaguely related to the Beach Boys coming on TV, I'd set the VCR and record it. My friends and some roommates at the times watched Baywatch religiously, I couldn't stand it but it was always on the TV whenever it was on. I owned the house VCR so I used to be asked to tape it for them to watch. Yep. And I followed Knight Rider very close in my younger years. Toured Universal Studios in the 80's, they had "KITT" there on display and I got in and talked to it. For laughs. Yep, that was me too, the show was already long in the tooth but i wanted to tell people I talked to the Knight Rider car. Only thing I forgot to do was wear a black Members Only jacket when i was there. They also had the A-Team van waiting for a shoot on the backlot that day, and Columbo's car was also being readied to go to LAX to shoot scenes for one of his TV movies that was filming at one of the terminals. Hooray for Hollywood!

So if I don't quite understand the points being made in terms of Baywatch, Hasselhoff, the Beach Boys involvement, the timelines, the whole deal...it's because the points I'm reading don't line up with what I remember from experience.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:21:53 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »

SIP was a sh*t album then(1992) and it's a sh*t album now (2015). Nothing is redeeming about Mike Love rapping about banging women by the pool (summer of love)....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »

Just to put this into more perspective, let's go back to the summer of 1995, specifically August 1995 when the Beach Boys filmed their appearances on Baywatch spread out over several shoots. The beach scenes with Stamos and Brian, the concert after that, etc.

This is from an article in the LA Times, mid-August 1995 talking to David Hasselhoff about the success of Baywatch and the upcoming spin-off Baywatch Nights that would be premiering that fall. This is the first passage, note the paragraph in bold:

Cover Story - "Club Baywatch"
August 13, 1995|BETH KLEID | Beth Kleid is a regular contributor to TV Times and Calendar

David Hasselhoff isn't big on sitting still. He jumps out of his chair and admires his new ornately carved desk ("Isn't it great?"). He shows off pictures of his two young daughters ("I'm totally addicted to them. I have to look at them"). He proudly points out a framed MAD magazine "Baywatch" spoof on the wall ("It's so irreverent, it's incredible").

And then all 6-foot-4 of this human dose of caffeine takes a rock-star stance and with a booming voice belts out the closing song for his new show, "Baywatch Nights." Ah, to be serenaded by Mr. Chest Hair himself.

"So, what were we talking about?" he says with an impish smile. Oh, "Baywatch Nights," the spinoff to Hasselhoff's global mega-hit "Baywatch."
With all of his unbridled energy, it comes as no surprise that Hasselhoff is executive producing and starring in a TV show that will run concurrently with "Baywatch," the syndicated series that just happens to be the most-watched show on the planet with 1 billion fans in 140-plus countries, including those in the United States who would never admit to watching the luscious lifeguards strut their stuff on the beach.

The most-watched TV show on the planet, 1 billion viewers in 140-plus countries, and these are stats that were current the exact month the Beach Boys filmed their guest appearances on the show.

Just getting the stats and facts out there for anyone interested.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »

And to correct some of the information online and on various "official" and semi-official discographies for the band, this is the cover for a single that was released in 1995 on the Scotti Brothers label to tie in with the Beach Boys appearing on Baywatch. It seems to have disappeared without a trace from some sources, and again some official listings for the band don't even list this one or get the release date wrong. Here it is in living color, it did exist in 1995:

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »

My problem with SIP is the sound, it is mixed way too heavy and loud.. also I think it would have been better if it had more songs by Carl (not just singing but writing) and Al (same) it seems to lean too much towards Mike and Terry, and it has too many cover tunes.. don't get me wrong I like the harmonies on the cd (the strong suit of the album) take off the cover tunes, the Rap remix of Surfin (which I'm assuming it's on there because it has Brian's name on the credits) and add 2 or 3 Carl songs and 2 or 3 Al songs then it would have been a way better cd..IMO...my favorite song is "Lahaina Aloha"  and I also like "Island Fever" (US version) because of it's Bass line and harmonies.. I'm mixed on "Forever" because I can see why they did it, for publicity, but I also keep thinking about what if the Beatles had John Stamos singing a Lennon or a Harrison tune on a Beatles CD (after they both had died) it would not seem right and would seem kind of bizarre. I guess my thoughts are that it's cool to introduce this great Dennis Wilson song to a new Gen (even though on the full House episode it was Stamos who wrote the song) but would Dennis WANT it to be sung by Stamos or appear on a TV show? of course we can't know that but it makes me wishy washy on the inclusion of the song..
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

78 millions viewers drove Kokomo to #1 but a billion viewers couldn't  chart SOL?   Hmmmmmm.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »

The BB always seem to be too late to the party. See Here Comes the Night for more evidence.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx