gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:02:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 49122 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »

Guess I knew going into this that the knives would be drawn. Too bad, as I'm just musing, out loud and before the whole world, over the memory of a nice time and how the music conjures images.

Could just as easily meditate on slow dancing to Side Two of Today in 1965 and whispering I Love You into her ear as Please Let Me Wonder comes to a close.

There's nothing these guys did after Good Vibrations that can equal the classic outpouring that came before. Altho I'd vote Smiley thru In Concert the second best period on vinyl, the best live. Now that I think of it, I'm on the cover of In Concert, in the audience of course.

But 15BO-Love You? No way. I was just emerging from a long period away from rock in 76. I associate Johnny Hartman singing with John Coltrane in memory as the sound of that time for me. Whoa, Lush Life. Yeah, you wanna get laid? Drop the needle on to The Gentle Side of John Coltrane and watch how fast she drops her drawers. (Still works, by the way.) Anyway, news that a new Beach Boys album was out sent me to the bins, but what did I waste my $2.74 on? You guessed it. And the following was no better. Am I seriously supposed to romance a grown woman to the strains of "wub id de wumin...?" I don't think so.

It may not be the best rock album ever made, or even a particularly good one (altho, and oddly enough, I kind of associate it with Sticky Fingers but can't say why) but at least Summer in Paradise doesn't drag me into the depressing world of Brian Wilson's endless bummer.

Love You is anything but a bummer

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »

SIP rehashes old songs and old Beachboys lyrics.    and it is poorly mixed and produced.    they released this themselves....why  didn't they take more time to get it right?   they weren't under a contract deadline were they?   another in a long line of poorly thought out releases that followed Love You.    It's like they were guilty of poor judgment and taste, rather than lacking inate talent.   a hardcore fan ( like you or me)  could just sense the unrealized potential of these releases.     lack of vision, creativity, taste, and imagination from a band that often exhibited all of this when at their best.   I listen to SIP and think I myself could do better if given a chance to remaster/remix Those songs.
IainLee
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:12 AM »

Love You "retarded bullshit" while SIP's a "damn good collection of tunes"? I think it's time for me to meditate.

THE BEACH BOYS LOVE YOU plays like the music of the spheres next to the radioactive waste that is SUMMER IN PARADISE. The latter album remains the worst LP ever released by a major (or perhaps minor) rock band.

I've...ahem...gosh...OK...I'm gonna say it...I've never liked Love You.

Runs and hides...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »

There are always some gems on even the worst BB albums - yes, on SIP too. Strange Things Happen, certainly; also quite like Still Surfin' and some of the singing, especially Jardine, is very good. On GIOMH there are some great songs, it's just that the arrangements and recordings render them somewhat difficult to enjoy - never mind the ghastly context of the shite they're next to. Even the Lovester's album has its moments - though the most annoying thing about that is that we all know he had a far better album under wraps... (and a far worse one too, mind you (though Beth on the Mesa's not that baaaaaaaaad....) and some of his faux country singing is no worse than Jagger's faux hick accent.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »

Shouldn't we be Joe-Thomasing Terry Melcher over what we don't like about SIP? (thousand yard stare)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:19 AM »

Summer In Paradise - This one sure sounded like the Beach Boy's "Let It Be" back in 1992 and still does.

Look, ahh, I'm all for people having their own personal opinions, blah blah, and I'm happily ignoring the deluded opinions dissing Love You, but SIP ~ BB's LIB? A bit OTT, surely - or a great laugh (a gas, even) - or a ripper zinger directed at "Let It Be".

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 03:26:10 AM »

Well, I hear Let It Be as bringing the Beatles to a close, Yes, I know it was recorded before Abby Road, and yes I know the Beach Boys can't touch the Beatles as a class act, but the song does, in its way, pass the torch.

Cannot understand the bitter denunciations of this album.
KDS
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 05:13:39 AM »

Well, I hear Let It Be as bringing the Beatles to a close, Yes, I know it was recorded before Abby Road, and yes I know the Beach Boys can't touch the Beatles as a class act, but the song does, in its way, pass the torch.

While I'm not a fan of the SIP record by any means, one of the big reasons for the hate that this album gets is because Brian Wilson is not on it and had nothing to do with it.  Same reason many hate Kokomo.  Same reason many will not go see the touring version of The Beach Boys. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 06:27:16 AM »

SIP is bad, poorly recorded music by people who, at one time, made excellnt, well-recorded music. The fact that Terry Melcher doesn't get Joe Thomas-ed is proof that this is Kokomaoist Central.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KDS
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2015, 06:36:13 AM »

I think the issue with SIP is more with the quality of songs rather than the production. 

I don't think there's a producer alive or dead that could make Summer of Love into something good. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »

SIP is not their best album, but neither is Still Cruisin' or BB85. I like quite a few of the songs on SIP. Once I get past the production, it can be quite enjoyable. The vocals of both Al & Carl on SIP are it's saving grace.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »

Strange Things Happen is the clear standout on the record. I like the American version better than the shortened British version - the long instrumental sequence at the end of the song just brings the whole song full circle. Lahaina Aloha is a very close second.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »

It's also worth noting, I feel, that pretty much everything recorded in the mid-to-late 80s through the early 90s is riddled with a hi-cheese ratio.  It wasn't until the funk/grunge of the early 90s that rock/pop music returned to its earthy roots.

At this time, anything pop or "popular" was smothered with a thick creamy layer of Velveeta.  Had SIP been recorded earlier or a few years later, it would have fared better.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:58:42 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »

While I'm not a fan of the SIP record by any means, one of the big reasons for the hate that this album gets is because Brian Wilson is not on it and had nothing to do with it.  Same reason many hate Kokomo.  Same reason many will not go see the touring version of The Beach Boys. 

1000% agree with everything you just typed.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »

Thanks MB,

And just for the record, I'm not a Kokomaoist, and I'm not a Brianista. 

I consider myself a fan of The Beach Boys - namely Brian, Mike, Dennis, Carl, Al, David, Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky (among others). 

I enjoyed NPP and Love & Mercy.  And I also highly enjoyed the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys concert I attended last weekend, almost as much as I enjoyed the Brian Wilson concert I attended in June. 

IainLee
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »

Summer In Paradise - This one sure sounded like the Beach Boy's "Let It Be" back in 1992 and still does.

Look, ahh, I'm all for people having their own personal opinions, blah blah, and I'm happily ignoring the deluded opinions dissing Love You, but SIP ~ BB's LIB? A bit OTT, surely - or a great laugh (a gas, even) - or a ripper zinger directed at "Let It Be".

Thanks for allowing us to have opinions! Much appreciated.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »

While I'm not a fan of the SIP record by any means, one of the big reasons for the hate that this album gets is because Brian Wilson is not on it and had nothing to do with it.  Same reason many hate Kokomo.  Same reason many will not go see the touring version of The Beach Boys.  

Very true, Brian's lack of involvement makes it a categorically different product.  I love the Allmusic.com review, which basically says exactly that as its entire review:  "if you ever wondered what a beach boy record would sound like without Brian Wilson..."

LOL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:32:39 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »

So you're all saying that a fan not liking the SIP album wouldn't have more to do with the fact that they might think the production is weak, the songs and songwriting is weak, and the whole project overall seemed to miss the mark by a few million miles?

Ahh, but it's all because Brian Wilson isn't on the album, though...right? That's a pretty bold statement to make, not to mention "explaining" why fans don't like it and ignoring the fact they might really, really think it sounds like doggie doo whether Brian Wilson or the King of Siam were involved.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »

Or in other words, it gets bad when fans have to read the reasons why they don't like something as explained by other people they've never met, instead of knowing what their own reasons were and are.

Is this another "set the record straight" type of deal?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »

So you're all saying that a fan not liking the SIP album wouldn't have more to do with the fact that they might think the production is weak, the songs and songwriting is weak, and the whole project overall seemed to miss the mark by a few million miles?

Ahh, but it's all because Brian Wilson isn't on the album, though...right? That's a pretty bold statement to make, not to mention "explaining" why fans don't like it and ignoring the fact they might really, really think it sounds like doggie doo whether Brian Wilson or the King of Siam were involved.

GF,

I won't dispute that many don't like it because of the quality of songs and production.  That's one of the reasons I don't like it. 

But I'm saying that, there's a certain vocal minority of BB/BW fans out there that will decide to hate any BB product which doesn't include Brian D. Wilson.  (ie. Kokomo, BB concerts 1998-present excl C50). 

The poster asked why the album get so much hate.  I provided a reason.  It's not THE reason that the album is mostly hated.  But, its A reason. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »

While I'm not a fan of the SIP record by any means, one of the big reasons for the hate that this album gets is because Brian Wilson is not on it and had nothing to do with it.  Same reason many hate Kokomo.  Same reason many will not go see the touring version of The Beach Boys.  

Nah, there are no doubt people who genuinely don't like the damn thing (and about five hundred million Red Chinese who don't give a sh*t either way!). But when you see the rather over excitable section of Brian's fanbase proclaiming it 'the worst album ever made', claiming there's not one redeemable aspect about the entire thing and how it's a testament to how talentless Mike Love is, then it's clear that something else is at work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:57:53 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Conversely -- weak songs, weak songwriting and weak production are all common traits of a non-Brian Wilson project.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

And my opinion is that the argument would be valid if those fans said that's their reason, but to make a general statement that the reason why the SIP album flopped and is considered the worst recorded product to ever carry the Beach Boys name smacks of trying to soften the impact a failure like this might have on the "legacy" of either the band or individual members.

Try the blind test, like the Pepsi Challenge. Show someone who wouldn't know or wouldn't care who is or isn't involved from the band the Baywatch video posted above, maybe play a few cuts from the album (US or UK mix, whatever) for them, and gauge their reactions. I think the results may be pretty obvious to predict, and it won't have much to do with Brian Wilson's involvement.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »

Nah, there are no doubt genuinely people who don't like the damn thing (and about five hundred million Red Chinese who don't give a sh*t either way!). But when you see the rather over excitable section of Brian's fanbase proclaiming it 'the worst album ever made', claiming there's not one redeemable aspect about the entire thing and how it's a testament to how talentless Mike Love is, then it's clear that something else is at work.

Something else is at work, for sure. Using that logic above, how would those who claimed Brian's latest album was "unlistenable" fall into your template? Ahh, but they're just expressing their opinions as fans, we need to respect and allow for that, if they hear copious amounts of autotune then god-dammit it's on there...but fans who genuinely don't like SIP are in it just to bash Mike and prove points? Nope, doesn't work that way.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »

No, obviously people who don't like Brian's new album 'hate' Brian Wilson. I thought we'd clearly established that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:06:04 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx