gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:05:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 49194 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 06:44:07 AM »

Each person's garbage is another person's treasure. 

I'm a big fan of The Who's Endless Wire album that got a somewhat lukewarm response from many fans. 

I'm no fan of SIP, but you're entitled to your opinion. 
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:35 AM »

The eccentricity of Love You may be off-putting to some but I find it melodically endearing. Those 70s synths provide a sublime vibe. Can you imagine Solar System without 'em?

Thanks, TMPM, for giving such a thorough review of Summer in Paradise, an album that totally puts the listener in a summertime mood. That's essentially what Mike Love made here (as he states in the liner notes): a concept album centered on songs w/ a summer motif. It's as much about environmental awareness/appreciation as Pet Sounds is about loss of innocence in young lovers.

This is the kinda thread we need more of, not those negative & repetitive Myke Luhv hate threads. The Luvster has given us so much catchy music, like this lost classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7DyhoDx6s. If only Mike himself would embrace this great but obscure output of his.

In closing, Summer in Paradise shouldn't be forgotten Grin

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:09:16 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 06:47:18 AM »

Yeah. The one sounds like an album by a working band, anchored around a handful of classics updated, the other like Elmer Fudd's greatest hits.

What, are you deaf?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:09 AM »

Both albums were DOA and need to be privately interred preferably in a pauper's cemetery. No marker, of course.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 07:20:29 AM »

You know, there's a lot of good and a lot of bad in the Beach Boys catalogue, and I think Summer In Paradise is somewhere in the middle. It was great to hear new Beach Boys material at the time, and there are some really good songs on there. I've listened to it a lot more than I have to some of the mid/late 70's albums.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 07:23:38 AM »

I wish they would have released a studio version of Summer in Paradise in the same vein as they performed it live at Wembly in 1993 (not 1995 as the MIC box purported).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »

My father was a serious jazzman. We had the best sound system in town. When I brought home Wild Thing he pulled it off the turntable and threw it out the window.
LOL

Yes, the Holy Trinity!  Wink

And I love Carl on Lahaina Aloha!   Brian, Dennis, & Carl
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

Setting the record straight on Summer In Paradise, I see? Some concepts/notions/ideas Don Draper couldn't even sell in his best pitch.  Grin

Just listen to the album, it would seem there was a hard-working band involved but only if you count the synths, drum machines, sequencers, quantizers, Eventide Harmonizers, early versions of ProTools, etc.  Roll Eyes

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbthkfJNFE

Keep in mind, it's all a f**king "love thing..."

Don't worry 'bout it, toss your clothes, and get in the water.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »

in a way albums you love and hate are tied much closer to the ones you have complete apathy for..which BB album is the one you listen to/think of the least??
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »

in a way albums you love and hate are tied much closer to the ones you have complete apathy for..which BB album is the one you listen to/think of the least??

Party! I honestly keep forgetting this album exists.
Stars & Stripes I wish I could forget this album exists.
That's Why God Made The Radio Basically another horrible solo Brian album with a few Mike, Al and Bruce vocals added in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:24:52 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

Has any interviewer ever asked Mike point-blank about the Summer In Paradise album, specifically any reasons he might have for why it was such a colossal commercial flop? I just ask because he seemed to have no problems finding reasons why he thought other albums or songs didn't catch on, yet this one doesn't seem to face the same scrutiny.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

I'm not a fan.

It sounds like all of the Band's solo music to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbthkfJNFE

Keep in mind, it's all a f**king "love thing..."

Don't worry 'bout it, toss your clothes, and get in the water.

For all the wrong reasons this is the greatest fucking song and video of all time.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »

Smiley Smile - Some decent stuff, but to me, the Smile Sessions box pretty much renders this album obsolete. 

15 Big Ones - An appropriate title for this album would've been "It's OK." 

Love You - An improvement over 15 Big Ones, and there are some hints of something good.  But it's just not there. 

KTSA - With 15BO, The Beach Boys started to become a parody of the great group they once were.  After some promising moments on MIU & LA, the transformation is complete.

SIP - Ummmm....It's not all horrible.  But, it's up there with my least favorite albums done by bands I like, joining the ranks of Queen's Hot Space, Metallica's St. Anger, Van Halen 3, etc. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:37:01 AM by KDS » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »

The video apparently didn't even warrant an appearance from Hasselhoff. You know something is off when The Hoff won't even get his mug on the screen. They had to edit in the opening credit shots of him.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »

I mean, really...how could it fail when you had shots of Stamos playing electronic drums on the beach? That's TV gold, right there.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »

Of course this album is going to come across as awful when you compare it to Pet Sounds.  But comparing it with The Beach Boys and Still Cruisin'?  Still awful.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »

Milli Vanilli had a better sounding record at this time.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:38:23 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »

Okay, I'm pissed. I saw the title on this thread and thought there was a recall out for SIP; I was about to package mine up and send it back.

LOL

Wins the thread.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »

I wish they would have released a studio version of Summer in Paradise in the same vein as they performed it live at Wembly in 1993 (not 1995 as the MIC box purported).

People always talk about different versions of this song but.....You can't polish a turd...just my opinion of course.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »

People always talk about different versions of this song but.....You can't polish a turd...just my opinion of course.

It's kind of like that Spinal Tap diner scene where Jeanine says the Smell The Glove album would have sold better had it been mixed in "Doubly"

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »

I mean, really...how could it fail when you had shots of Stamos playing electronic drums on the beach? That's TV gold, right there.

LOL

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »

CATP.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »

Nah, it was, you know, generation gap to the max at our house in 1966. But I go back to the jazz classics for refreshment from time to time. I traced it from beginnings up thru Coltrane. But after that it seemed to crawl up its own ass, pretty much the way rock did in the mid to late seventies.

As far as rock goes, it's the Beatles, Beach Boys and Rolling Stones who are the Holy Trinity.

I was definitely Made in the 60's

As a psychedelic rock fan, I'd have to say Brian, Hendrix and Syd. With Grace Slick, Janis Joplin and Dorothy Moskowitz as the female trinity

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx