gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:52:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise Recalled  (Read 48881 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »

August, 1992. I find the new Beach Boys album in the bins in Stuart Florida. Cool. But Hurricane Andrew is coming ashore and I run the CD over and over while wind and rain beat 'gainst the house thru the night. Pleased as it sinks in with repetition. Well alright, sounds like my old friends are back. The record becomes the soundtrack to our summers in FLA.

Another August, 23 years later, stuck in Nanjing days before school begins, I crank it up and reflect.

Yeah, I don't really like the sequencing. Should open with the fade up to Island Fever and its invitation to "get away."

Then into the ballsy remake of Surfin' - some energy here, sadly lacking in so much the Boys had produced since Holland

Summer of Love is a hoot, tongue firmly in cheek - ridiculous Superbad dudes looking to get laid - funny, and those background vocals - yes!

I never felt the Hot Fun cover adds anything to Sly's original, in fact kinda shied away from the cut, but works better here then as album opener and I think I'm warming to it.

Under the Boardwalk - nice work - love it love it.

Slow Dancing - extends the romanticism of Boardwalk - I can still see the night, the stars, Japanese lanterns on the pier at Cocoa Beach.

Strange Things Happen - a standout track (Funky Pretty's Pisces Lady take's it all a step higher - the Rio conference was supposed to address environmental issues, it didn't, but the cosmically conscious among us understand the unity of being). I love the ride out. A totally psychedelic track.

Still Surfin' quoting Don't Worry Baby comes across as an elegy. Surfer Joe, of course, was the flip side to the Safari's Wipeout (or was it the Chantay's pipeline?). A garage rock classic in which the protagonist ends up in the Marines. Now we meet the Viet Vet back on his board, eco-conscious. But who is the "pretty little seniorita" referenced in the lyric?

Walking in the Sand - who did this originally? Not the Ronettes, they were Walking in the Rain. Check out the "Little Girl I Once Knew" in the lyric. Actually, the album is littered with musical and lyrical references. Another energetic remake.

Lahaina Aloha - Another standout track - Carl's finest moment in this collection.

Kokomo - Well, of course this set is the natural home for this key latter BB track, recapping and fulfilling the invite of Island Fever.

Summer In Paradise - This one sure sounded like the Beach Boy's "Let It Be" back in 1992 and still does. A bittersweet ending to the set of tunes presented here, its message of aging, loss and regret all the more resonant today. "Bring us back our Summer in Paradise."

Oh, was there a remake of Forever on this record?   FAGEDDABOUDIT! Not in my mix.

Anyway, a dam good collection of tunes, despite the general dismissal and scorn it receives. The best, in fact, Beach Boys album between Holland and That's Why God Made the Radio.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »

You know, I've been afraid to say it on this board, but I enjoy SIP. It has some really pleasant songs. I think had BB85, Still Crusin', and SIP had better production, they'd be considered classics. Well... Summer Of Love could've been excluded.

I wouldn't say it's the best LP between Holland and TWGMTR. I think that title goes to Love You (One of the all-time best albums, EVER)

If Summer In Paradise is one thing, it's fun. Friends is mellow, Pet Sounds is introspective, Sunflower is collaborative. SIP is fun. Well... Summer In Love isn't... It's just creepy.  Undecided
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »

I will say, I like Summer in Paradise more than Beach Boys 85.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »

It has some pretty good material but some of the other stuff is just diabolical. Strange Things Happen may not be much but it has that Beach Boys je ne sais quoi about it. Al's vocal on the chorus ("every time I touch my baby, strange things happen") is just AWESOME. That's one of my favorite vocals of his, even if it's just a few words.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »

Okay, I'm pissed. I saw the title on this thread and thought there was a recall out for SIP; I was about to package mine up and send it back.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »

LMFAO!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »

I guess every album has its fans, but no way would I trade BB85 or LA for this.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »

Okay, I'm pissed. I saw the title on this thread and thought there was a recall out for SIP; I was about to package mine up and send it back.

If you've got it on vinyl, please send it to me.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 01:05:41 AM »

I place it in the BBs bottom 5 but there is some good stuff on it - cheap tacky production aside. Anyone who claims it is the worst album ever made needs to go listen to a Nicki Minaj record for some much needed perspective.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:21:41 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »

Just listened to the UK version of this album and, whew, what is that all about? Firstly, most of the tracks are clearly alternate takes. The compression, if that's what it is, is so high there is virtually no air, the tracks so aggressive they seem to reach out, grab me by the throat, rattle my head and scream "LISTENTOTHIS!!!"

Island Fever, Boardwalk and the title track are radically reworked, Fever containing another verse - "Doctor Doctor," and SIP containing the "reap what you sew" lyric that can be heard on the live version on MIC.

Was all this intended to work with some specific drug? What was happening in that department in '92?

Anyway, I still like the original well enough. Wonder what these tracks would sound like with a live drummer?
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 01:26:32 AM »

But wonderful ORIGINAL album cover art!

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »

everyone keeps saying this. personally i think its really tacky

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 01:57:17 AM »

Very Franklin Mint.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 02:03:53 AM »

August, 1992. I find the new Beach Boys album in the bins in Stuart Florida. Cool. But Hurricane Andrew is coming ashore and I run the CD over and over while wind and rain beat 'gainst the house thru the night. Pleased as it sinks in with repetition. Well alright, sounds like my old friends are back. The record becomes the soundtrack to our summers in FLA.

Another August, 23 years later, stuck in Nanjing days before school begins, I crank it up and reflect.

Yeah, I don't really like the sequencing. Should open with the fade up to Island Fever and its invitation to "get away."

Then into the ballsy remake of Surfin' - some energy here, sadly lacking in so much the Boys had produced since Holland

Summer of Love is a hoot, tongue firmly in cheek - ridiculous Superbad dudes looking to get laid - funny, and those background vocals - yes!

I never felt the Hot Fun cover adds anything to Sly's original, in fact kinda shied away from the cut, but works better here then as album opener and I think I'm warming to it.

Under the Boardwalk - nice work - love it love it.

Slow Dancing - extends the romanticism of Boardwalk - I can still see the night, the stars, Japanese lanterns on the pier at Cocoa Beach.

Strange Things Happen - a standout track (Funky Pretty's Pisces Lady take's it all a step higher - the Rio conference was supposed to address environmental issues, it didn't, but the cosmically conscious among us understand the unity of being). I love the ride out. A totally psychedelic track.

Still Surfin' quoting Don't Worry Baby comes across as an elegy. Surfer Joe, of course, was the flip side to the Safari's Wipeout (or was it the Chantay's pipeline?). A garage rock classic in which the protagonist ends up in the Marines. Now we meet the Viet Vet back on his board, eco-conscious. But who is the "pretty little seniorita" referenced in the lyric?

Walking in the Sand - who did this originally? Not the Ronettes, they were Walking in the Rain. Check out the "Little Girl I Once Knew" in the lyric. Actually, the album is littered with musical and lyrical references. Another energetic remake.

Lahaina Aloha - Another standout track - Carl's finest moment in this collection.

Kokomo - Well, of course this set is the natural home for this key latter BB track, recapping and fulfilling the invite of Island Fever.

Summer In Paradise - This one sure sounded like the Beach Boy's "Let It Be" back in 1992 and still does. A bittersweet ending to the set of tunes presented here, its message of aging, loss and regret all the more resonant today. "Bring us back our Summer in Paradise."

Oh, was there a remake of Forever on this record?   FAGEDDABOUDIT! Not in my mix.

Anyway, a dam good collection of tunes, despite the general dismissal and scorn it receives. The best, in fact, Beach Boys album between Holland and That's Why God Made the Radio.

Ah,you had me going for a minute.

Nice one. LOL
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »

Technically good, but tacky, as opposed to KTSA, which is technically tacky and embarrassing.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 02:19:48 AM »

I don't think I would call the artwork of the cover Art. Is more in the vein of those glow-in-the-dark velvet paintings of the Brooklyn Bridge.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 02:22:12 AM »

OK - here come the snarks. But I don't care. It's only a rocknroll record. And I like it. But then, I liked the Troggs too.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 02:57:47 AM »

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:15 AM »

No, I'm no troll. I've been a fan since 1964. Bought every album hot off the rack since Shut Down II

And have been reading these boards since 96.

And I can see there is this body of opinion that considers itself canonical

Cannot abide a view that departs from the dogma.

I don't care.

I'm the guy who bought the one copy of Sunflower in 1970 and had to endure the dismissal of serious rock fans

Where are those blues-boogie bands now? I can't even remember their names.

Anyway, SIP rocks in a way non others do between it and Holland.

Love You? Give me a break - retarded bullshit. MIU/LA/KTSA? - 3 flaccid, lifeless bores. 85? Totally plastic.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 03:40:20 AM »

I get the feeling legs may be being pulled but sin points are deducted for liking The Troggs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »

My father was a serious jazzman. We had the best sound system in town. When I brought home Wild Thing he pulled it off the turntable and threw it out the window.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 03:57:02 AM »

Did you ever forgive him? I once broke my dad's Gina G cd under strict instructions from my stepmum because he wouldn't stop playing it at parties when he was drunk.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:01:55 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 04:03:35 AM »

Nah, it was, you know, generation gap to the max at our house in 1966. But I go back to the jazz classics for refreshment from time to time. I traced it from beginnings up thru Coltrane. But after that it seemed to crawl up its own ass, pretty much the way rock did in the mid to late seventies.

As far as rock goes, it's the Beatles, Beach Boys and Rolling Stones who are the Holy Trinity.

I was definitely Made in the 60's
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »

Love You "retarded bullshit" while SIP's a "damn good collection of tunes"? I think it's time for me to meditate.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:24 AM »

Yeah. The one sounds like an album by a working band, anchored around a handful of classics updated, the other like Elmer Fudd's greatest hits.

What, are you deaf?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx